PDA

View Full Version : WR Troy Brown released , he's a better CB than what we have ......

ROYC75
03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
He's a better CB than what we have ( maybe except Warfield ,)that's really sad .

I'm not mentioning him as one of our FA's we need, but I was wondering, how many years does this guy have in him ?

tyton75
03-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I would love to see us pick this guy up!

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
He's a better CB than what we have ( maybe except Warfield ,)that's really sad .

I'm not mentioning him as one of our FA's we need, but I was wondering, how many years does this guy have in him ?
Is being better than all but one of our corners a good thing? There are people in this forum better than most of the Chiefs corners.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
he could fill in for Warfield for a few games

Kclee
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Is being better than all but one of our corners a good thing? There are people in this forum better than most of the Chiefs corners.

And that makes them God?

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Last year he was involved in an ABSURD number of snaps for us. He played some WR, a fair bit of nickel back, returned punts, and was on some ST coverage units.

IMHO he still has a year or, at most, two left as a possession WR. He lacks the separation he used to, but he still has terrific hands and knows what to do and when to do it.

He has stated that he does NOT want to play any more defense, if possible.

He could also return punts, but he's clearly lost his burst on that task.

Great team player, great guy. Sorry to see him go, but the axe falling on him saved us $5M on the cap. Clearly, no choice...

Kclee
03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
And that makes them God?

ROFL , I love the edit to make me look foolish. Bastard!

cadmonkey
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
He was good when he first went over to the defensive side of the ball. Near the end of the season he was awful. Once any Defensive Coordinator watched some tape on him they can opick him apart.

If you do sign him hope he only plays WR. I know you all say your DB's suck, but Brown ain't the answer.

crossbow
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I am waiting for Carlton Grey to make a comeback. We get him and our defense will sky rocket to the top.

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Guy plays both ways to help out and they cut his ass.

Classy.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Last year he was involved in an ABSURD number of snaps for us. He played some WR, a fair bit of nickel back, returned punts, and was on some ST coverage units.

IMHO he still has a year or, at most, two left as a possession WR. He lacks the separation he used to, but he still has terrific hands and knows what to do and when to do it.

He has stated that he does NOT want to play any more defense, if possible.

He could also return punts, but he's clearly lost his burst on that task.

Great team player, great guy. Sorry to see him go, but the axe falling on him saved us $5M on the cap. Clearly, no choice...
man... you guys screwed him

he did everthing but suk bellichek's johnson last year and he gets cut for his trouble.

ruthless ROFL

siberian khatru
03-01-2005, 06:58 PM

he did everthing but suk bellichek's johnson last year and he gets cut for his trouble.

ruthless ROFL

That franchise has no future.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
That franchise has no future.

yep ... they'll never win a superbowl

Straight, No Chaser
03-01-2005, 10:49 PM

Were have you been?
The downside for the AFCW is that he could end up a Raider...

--->

Amnorix
03-02-2005, 08:03 AM

ruthless ROFL

Well, he did make close to #1 WR money last year -- $3M.

But "ruthless" is an appropriate description. The Patriots are ALL business in the offseason. If they don't think you'll "earn" what your salary is going to be, you're gone. Sucks for fans, especially, but as I said yesterday on a Patriots board "Happiness in Dec/Jan/Feb is purchased by heartache and sadness in March and August (TC cuts)." :shrug:

Skip Towne
03-02-2005, 08:19 AM
I'd prefer a converted safety but thanks anyway.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, he did make close to #1 WR money last year -- $3M.

But "ruthless" is an appropriate description. The Patriots are ALL business in the offseason. If they don't think you'll "earn" what your salary is going to be, you're gone. Sucks for fans, especially, but as I said yesterday on a Patriots board "Happiness in Dec/Jan/Feb is purchased by heartache and sadness in March and August (TC cuts)." :shrug:

Feh...that's nowhere near #1 WR money in terms of guaranteed money. Money is earned after the fact in the NFL with the exception of 1st round rookie draft picks.

Amnorix
03-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Feh...that's nowhere near #1 WR money in terms of guaranteed money. Money is earned after the fact in the NFL with the exception of 1st round rookie draft picks.
You misunderstand me:

1. #1 WR money (or close to it), NOT superstar WR money, or Pro Bowl WR money.

2. That $3M was NEW money, not including any pro rated portion of a signing bonus or any of that stuff. That was his salary for last year.

Edit: FYI this was a restructured deal where about $2.25M was "signing bonus" and he had an actual salary of vet minimum of $760K, which was fully guaranteed.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 08:43 AM
You misunderstand me:

1. #1 WR money (or close to it), NOT superstar WR money, or Pro Bowl WR money.

2. That $3M was NEW money, not including any pro rated portion of a signing bonus or any of that stuff. That was his salary for last year.

Edit: FYI this was a restructured deal where about $2.25M was "signing bonus" and he had an actual salary of vet minimum of $760K, which was fully guaranteed.

1. Fair enough...

2. The restructured deal also included the 5M roster bonus and after how hard NE leaned on him last year, they didnt pony up. My guess is that Brown will deman that 5M and then some in FA market, no one will sign him and he'll go back to NE for another 2-3M.

whoman69
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I am waiting for Carlton Grey to make a comeback. We get him and our defense will sky rocket to the top.
Unfortunately at this point, he would be an upgrade.

Amnorix
03-02-2005, 10:41 AM
1. Fair enough...

2. The restructured deal also included the 5M roster bonus and after how hard NE leaned on him last year, they didnt pony up. My guess is that Brown will deman that 5M and then some in FA market, no one will sign him and he'll go back to NE for another 2-3M.

Not quite. The restructured deal had a $2.5M signing bonus this year, along with a salary of $2.5M. Add that to the pro rated portion of an old bonus ($760K) and you get a total cap number of $5.75M, which a backup WR/CB was NEVER going to get.

I'm hopeful that he returns, but expect to see him with either the Browns or Dallas, who need a player like him more than we do, and will probably pay a slight premium for him.

WilliamTheIrish
03-02-2005, 11:10 AM
That's the life of an NFL player.

I'll cry no tears for him. You make the show, get the dough and if you happen to win a title or two, or god forbid three, then I'm certain that Troy Brown understands why he was cut.
I'll bet that if the Pats could restructure, he'd return in heartbeat.

Nope. No tears for Troy Brown.