PDA

View Full Version : Blaylock makes ESPN Writers "FA Sleepers List"

Kerberos
03-01-2005, 04:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2002543

I guess he is invaluable as a #2 back ... he might just get picked up by someone else!

Here are a dozen unrestricted free agents who probably won't break the bank with new contracts, but who are serviceable middle-level players who figure to draw interest:

FS/SS Idrees Bashir (Indianapolis) -- 4 years experience -- Never quite lived up to expectations with the Colts but, despite a string of injuries, averaged 13 starts per season. Has some range but lacks instincts, still worth looking at in nickel role.

Derrick Blaylock
Running Back
Kansas City Chiefs

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
118 539 8 25 246 1

RB Derrick Blaylock (Kansas City) -- 4 -- Superb all-around special teams player who got a chance to start when Priest Holmes was injured in 2004, averaged 4.6 yards per carry and scored eight touchdowns. Could be a nifty No. 2 tailback.

RB Correll Buckhalter (Philadelphia) -- 4 -- Star-crossed runner, and part-time starter who has suffered two major knee injuries in four seasons. Given his injury history, he might be a medical risk, but his pure running skills make him worth a gamble.

DT Leonardo Carson (Dallas) -- 5 -- Never going to make a lot of plays, but a 305-pounder who will take up space inside and push people around enough to make impact. Bill Parcells would like to keep him around.

OG Roberto Garza (Atlanta) -- 4 -- Moved into the starting lineup because of injury in 2004 and became integral part of a unit that helped the Falcons lead the NFL in rushing. A little stiff, but can be a powerful in-line force in stretches.

WR Kevin Johnson (Baltimore) -- 6 -- Has bounced around a lot the last few years and voided his contract to become a free agent. Still has deceptive speed and some teams feel he has the best hands in the league.

FS Bhawoh Jue (Green Bay) -- 4 -- Has played every position in the secondary and, while he doesn't run well on the stopwatch, has pretty good competitive speed. Should help some team as a regular in nickel packages.

Mike McMahon
Quarterback
Detroit Lions

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp PaTD RuTD Int Rat
15 11 0 0 1 56.8

QB Mike McMahon (Detroit) -- 4 -- With all the veteran quarterbacks being released and then recycled, he sometimes gets lost in the shuffle. Athletic and competitive guy, and good enough to win some games in a pinch.

LB Ike Reese (Philadelphia) -- 7 -- Consummate role player with the Eagles, combination blitz-cover guy who excels in nickel packages but would like to be a starter. A terrific performer on special teams units.

OT Oliver Ross (Pittsburgh) -- 7 -- Has played a lot of positions but settled in at right tackle the past two seasons and, while not a pure road-grader, played well. A decent pass blocker and could also move inside and play guard.

KR Allen Rossum (Atlanta) -- 7 -- One of the top two-way (kickoffs and punts) return men in the game, earned a Pro Bowl spot for the 2004 season. Can also play the nickel or dime cornerback spot in a pinch.

LB Matt Stewart (Atlanta) -- 4 -- Only 25 years old and a three-year starter. Falcons feel they can upgrade, but might be hard pressed to do so, and Stewart could move on and be a starter with a new club. Decent two-way blitz-cover guy on third down.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

beer bacon
03-01-2005, 04:36 PM
No Vonnie Holliday? That list is a joke!

petegz28
03-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Doesn't surprise me about Blaylock. Yet another decent player we just let go. Wouldn't of wanted CP to try and trade him in the last year or 2 for something.

I know I know..LJ couldn't pass block. Probably because he was never put in the game to learn it but....ho hum another year in KC.

Ralphy Boy
03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm suprised we have no interest at all in Kevin Johnson. A few years ago we considered trading a 3rd rounder for him IIRC and since then he's been available a few times with nothing to show for it.

Hoover
03-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I think addig a player like Ike Reese would be smart as a Back Up or Maybe Starter.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Doesn't surprise me about Blaylock. Yet another decent player we just let go. Wouldn't of wanted CP to try and trade him in the last year or 2 for something.

I know I know..LJ couldn't pass block. Probably because he was never put in the game to learn it but....ho hum another year in KC.

You can't be serious with your bullshit.

Yeah, I'm sure that loads of teams would of lined up to trade for Blaylock - a back who had 38 career rushing attempts entering 2004.

You should change your tampon, I'm sure you've saturated the one you have in by now.

petegz28
03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
You can't be serious with your bullshit.

Yeah, I'm sure that loads of teams would of lined up to trade for Blaylock - a back who had 38 career rushing attempts entering 2004.

You should change your tampon, I'm sure you've saturated the one you have in by now.

And you claimed to have "studied" the game for 15 years??? Madden doesn't count dipwad.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 04:58 PM
And you claimed to have "studied" the game for 15 years??? Madden doesn't count dipwad.

You think someone is going to trade a draft pick for someone with 38 carries? By the time Blaylock extensive action against Atlanta, the trade deadline was over with.

Yes, while you're working on your IROC and living in your parents basement, I study the game.

petegz28
03-01-2005, 05:03 PM
You think someone is going to trade a draft pick for someone with 38 carries? By the time Blaylock extensive action against Atlanta, the trade deadline was over with.

Yes, while you're working on your IROC and living in your parents basement, I study the game.

My IROC, parent's basement? Is that all you can come up with jock strap?

Never know what someone may have traded now do we?

Now did you say you studied the game for 15 years or that you are 15 years and you like to study the game?

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Now did you say you studied the game for 15 years or that you are 15 years and you like to study the game?
I get paid for my football views, which you prolly can't say the same.

What's funny is you criticize my slams, and your only slam is my avatar. You are such a tool and you don't even realize it.

Maybe my new avatar is more to your liking.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM

What?

Is this English or just stupidity....wait......I think I know.....

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
ROFL

Nice avvy

Rain Man
03-01-2005, 07:31 PM
No Vonnie Holliday? That list is a joke!

Yeah, he's a sleeper. At least, I assume that he is, since he's usually just lying motionless out there.

TRR
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
It's time for the Blaylock era (could you call that an era?) to be over. LJ deserves the #2 spot behind Priest Holmes without DB breathing down his neck. LJ will be a featured back in this league...Can't say the same for DB.

Chief Roundup
03-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I wonder what tender we gave Blaylock. If we tendered him high then we are entitled to a pick if we don't match.

petegz28
03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
I get paid for my football views, which you prolly can't say the same.

What's funny is you criticize my slams, and your only slam is my avatar. You are such a tool and you don't even realize it.

Maybe my new avatar is more to your liking.

Your new avatar makes me wonder about your obsession with dusche. :hmmm:

As far as your football views when I see one we will go from there. And coach mode on Madden...well if you wanna pretend that is real money don't let me stop you mmmk? :shake:

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Your new avatar makes me wonder about your obsession with dusche. :hmmm:

As far as your football views when I see one we will go from there. And coach mode on Madden...well if you wanna pretend that is real money don't let me stop you mmmk? :shake:

I don't have to prove myself to you about my knowledge or experience. If you want to think I get paid play money, then by all means go nuts.

petegz28
03-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I don't have to prove myself to you about my knowledge or experience. If you want to think I get paid play money, then by all means go nuts.

You overestimate my interest in you. Hooray for you. You are all knowing I am scum. :BS:

Feel better about yourself now? :shrug:

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
You overestimate my interest in you. Hooray for you. You are all knowing I am scum. :BS:

Feel better about yourself now? :shrug:

My intention isn't to make someone feel bad about themselves.

My intention is for people to get their stories straight when complaining about the Chiefs. You want to bitch about the lack of movement, fine, but bitch on the first day of free agency.

petegz28
03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
My intention isn't to make someone feel bad about themselves.

My intention is for people to get their stories straight when complaining about the Chiefs. You want to bitch about the lack of movement, fine, but bitch on the first day of free agency.

Well let me give you an examply of where I am coming from mmmk??? Surtain is not a free agent correct?

Besides the fact there has been minimal talk out of arrowhead and the last thing King Carl left us with was "I wanna give them one more year".

Now after 4 years of nothing close to a defense why am I so off base? In the mean time you hear and see a lot of other teamns addressing their issues or at least letting their fans know that the truly are serious about getting people.

I have heard Carl's crap for 15 years. And until the last couple I have cut him a lot of slack if not even supported him blindly. So just because Htis couldn't "get it" or chose to spout off insults doesn't mean you need too.

I truly hope to God as I sit here that I eat every word I am saying. Imagine that! But I am just calling it as I see it. So take it for what it's worth. And if you don't like what I am saying fine. But no need to start insulting people. And no need to get pissed when those you insult throw it back at ya. :toast:

Sure-Oz
03-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Derrick blaylock wouldve gotten us a 6th rnd pick if that.