PDA

View Full Version : Combine Results

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I've been watching the combines the past few days, but I'm only going to focus on the DB's and the LB's here, from today's combine.

Derrick Johnson - LB - Texas

I doubt this guy falls to KC. BUT, if he does- he is an absolute must. Should we trade for Surtain and pick up Rolle or Smoot as a free agent, then KC must not pass up on this opportunity.

Demarcus Ware - DE - Troy State

If he's available in the 2nd round (should we have a 2nd round pick) he is an absolute must. I doubt he would fall to us in the 2nd, based on his performances at the combines, but it would be sweet. He'll most likely become an OLB and/or a pass-rushing end to compliment Jared Allen.

Matt Jones - QB/WR/TE - Arkansas

If this DUDE, and he IS a dude- anyways- if this dude is available come the 3rd or 4th round- I say pick him up. He is a versatile weapon, much like we wanted out of Kris Wilson before his injury last year. Add Jones to the mix, and I'd bet you Al Saunders would be licking his chops.

Guys I like should they be available at any time during the draft for the Chiefs:

Bernard Ruud - LB - Nebraska

He's probably too small for a MLB, but his quickness and feet might make him a valuable OLB.

Domonique Foxworth - DB - Maryland

Lightning quick, good hands, and good lean upper body....he excelled in the combines.

Justin Miller - DB - Clemson

He'll go in the first round, but if the Chiefs were to trade down and pick up extra picks- I wouldn't be disappointed if they traded down and picked up this kid. He looked like a playmaker in the combines.

Just a sidenote: If the Bucs pick up Carnell Williams as expected- they are going to be one very lucky team. I honestly believe Carnell will be something special for the next few years.

AND, whatever team picks up Darren Sproles in the mid-rounds- should be getting a steal as well. He'll be a versatile third down back and will provide the team a dangerous weapon coming out of their offense.

That's all I have...those are the guys that caught my interest. I didn't watch the entire thing, so I missed out on a few players I'm sure, but these are the guys who peaked my interest and should the Chiefs draft any of these guys- I wouldn't be disappointed one bit.

unlurking
03-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I know a lot of people don't like the idea, but I don't mind dropping out of the first round and picking up a couple seconds and a third. This year just seems to be too much of a gamble in the first round.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I know a lot of people don't like the idea, but I don't mind dropping out of the first round and picking up a couple seconds and a third. This year just seems to be too much of a gamble in the first round.

If we were to trade for Surtain, pick up Smoot or Rolle and/or Hartwell- I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trading down for extra picks.

unlurking
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
If we were to trade for Surtain, pick up Smoot or Rolle and/or Hartwell- I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trading down for extra picks.
Honestly, I think the best we'll do is a single CB (Rolle or Surtain) and a LB (probably more like Cowart) and have to deal with the draft for the rest of our need. I figure we have better chances with multiple 2nd and 3rd round choices than a single 1st rounder to find an impact player.

Straight, No Chaser
03-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Honestly, I think the best we'll do is a single CB (Rolle or Surtain) and a LB (probably more like Cowart) and have to deal with the draft for the rest of our need. I figure we have better chances with multiple 2nd and 3rd round choices than a single 1st rounder to find an impact player.

Sounds about as midwest conservative as it gets. Ever feel like going out on a limb?

--->

CosmicPal

In years past- I would have shared the same sentiments. Something tells me they will make the trade for Surtain, and then pick up Hartwell or another starting LB for certain. After which, I wouldn't be surprised if they then picked up another FA whether it be another DB (hopefully) or a WR (most probable) or another LB (doubtful).

Surtain and Hartwell would give us much needed additions to the porous defense. But, another FA pick up on the Defensive side of the ball would then give KC a ton of leg room to work the draft with- and should this be the case- trading down wouldn't be a bad option at all.

milkman

I don't like the idea of trading out of the 1st round, but it wouldn't bother me any to trade down 5 or 6 spots to pick up a 3rd rounder.

milkman
03-01-2005, 10:03 PM
In years past- I would have shared the same sentiments. Something tells me they will make the trade for Surtain, and then pick up Hartwell or another starting LB for certain. After which, I wouldn't be surprised if they then picked up another FA whether it be another DB (hopefully) or a WR (most probable) or another LB (doubtful).

Surtain and Hartwell would give us much needed additions to the porous defense. But, another FA pick up on the Defensive side of the ball would then give KC a ton of leg room to work the draft with- and should this be the case- trading down wouldn't be a bad option at all.

I agree.
I think we'll get a 2nd tier CB along with a Surtain, or Rolle, and Hartwell or Trotter.

unlurking
03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Sounds about as midwest conservative as it gets. Ever feel like going out on a limb?

--->
Not conservative, just trying not to get my hopes up. Been burned too many times at this point.

unlurking
03-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Yeah, that's my "optimist" view too. Guess I'm a little jaded at this point.

unlurking
03-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Wow!!!!!!

Just watched some LB highlights, that McCune guy is frickin' HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

CosmicPal
03-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeah, that's my "optimist" view too. Guess I'm a little jaded at this point.

Call me naive' or whatever, but I don't think it's too optimistic.

Let's consider the possibilities:

This IS and may be the last season for quite a few folks on the team- everyone from players to coaches to management to scouts and all the way up to CP himself. Everyone wants to go out on top- SURE, it's every team's goal to make it to the Super Bowl, but some have the fire to do it, and others just play the game. This is the year to fuel the fire with as much grease as as possible.

So, with that being a motivating factor (we hope)- then the Chiefs staff knows to replace the weaknesses with as much talent as possible. And I believe they can do that with three players:

1. A free agent LB or CB - This is a VERY LIKELY event. It simply has to be done- pick up a veteran LB or CB to fill a need. One player won't fill all the needs, but it will plug in one hole at least.

2. The Surtain trade - This is a VERY PROBABLE event. Particularly if #1 occurs. We have a lot of draft picks this year- trading a number 2 pick or an active player and a lower pick or whatever the variable is- can and SHOULD happen.

Right there- we've plugged in two holes in the defense. We are now getting somewhere. Still a lot of holes out there. So, here comes the tricky part- it just might end here. Why? 'Cause DV and CP both don't like adding new players- they believe too many peoples cause a breakdown in the cohesion of the system. No matter how bad things are- as long as they have some cohesion with the players- they are happy. Shottenheimer was the same. Add too many players, and the system breaks down- that's their belief.

Which is why I understand you (and I) not being too optimistic. But, then consider again- this is and may be the last season for many. So, you do throw, not all, but a lot of eggs into the basket.

3. Pick up another DB or LB in Free Agency. A veteran LB or CB to compliment Surtain and this will fill a lot of holes in the defense. That's it. Just three new players- two from Free Agency, and one from a trade. It's not too optimistic to believe this can happen. Here's the best thing of all, though: should we get Surtain, and two free agent defensive players- come draft day, Carl CAN pick the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!

But, he can also trade down and pick up more picks. But, what they should do is use the first pick on an offensive weapon such as a WR or better yet- a DE prodigy.

If we were so lucky to have Derrick Johnson fall to us- this sweetens the deal even more.

Imagine, if you will: Surtain, Hartwell (or Cowart, or Trotter), Rolle (or Smoot), and Derrick Johnson as your 1st round pick. That would ultimately improve our defense overnight.

If they are so blessed to have Ware available to them come their next pick- I'd take him in a heartbeat, and our defense could then very well be electric. Now we're getting optimistic.

Should Matt Jones be available come the following pick- then we'd be in for a Super Bowl challenging year. Plug the versatile Jones in with the versatile Kris Wilson into our offensive scheme and defenses would never know who's getting the ball.

But, most importantly- the possibilities become endless IF, and only IF you get three solid veteran defensive players in the offseason via trade and/or free agency. Once we secure three defensive players- Anything goes. And I don't think that's too optimistic