PDA

View Full Version : Philly sports radio reporting Trotter to KC all but done deal.

njbill
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
FWIW, the sports radio station here is reporting that Trotter is good as signed.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
No way.

ROYC75
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
That would be sweet ! :D

Woodrow Call
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Im trying to hard to believe you. I dont want to be burned again. :deevee:

DaWolf
03-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, that's what Philly sports radio was saying the day Hugh Douglas hit the market. I'll believe it when I see it...

Stinger
link to radio station or call letters?

Phobia
Hyperbol to put pressure on Reid and staff, IMO.

In fact, Trotter's agent may even be paying for those "spots". :D

philfree
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I had Trotter on my radar last year in about March and we didn't do it. If we do it now I guess I'll take that as a consolation prize.

PhilFree :arrow:

BigChiefFan
I think it very well could be. I've seen various reports that say the Chiefs are prepared to offer a contract for Trotter. He's definitely in Kansas City today and Thum said he was a player that Gunther hand-picked because he fits the scheme and has leadership skills. I don't know if he's signed, but he's definitely here today and Thum sounded like he is one of the main targets.

keg in kc
HyperbolThat sounds like something Mark M would build.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I think it very well could be. I've seen various reports that say the Chiefs are prepared to offer a contract for Trotter. He's definitely in Kansas City today and Thum said he was a player that Gunther hand-picked because he fits the scheme and has leadership skills. I don't know if he's signed, but he's definitely here today and Thum sounded like he is one of the main targets.I thinkTeicher also said earlier that Trotter was very interested in playing here because he liked the style of defense Cunningham preaches.

Phobia
03-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I thinkTeicher also said earlier that Trotter was very interested in playing here because he liked the style of defense Cunningham preaches.

Imagine if you are one of 2 or 3 offseason defensive acquisition for the Chiefs and they go to the SuperBowl....

I can hear it now. I would definitely fall for that.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:03 AM
610 WIP... also it appears that the 9ers have tendered Ed Hartwell... just an FYI

MOhillbilly
03-02-2005, 11:03 AM
i dont like the *its all but a done deal bs* its like thinking your getting a new bike for christmas and ending up w/ socks.:mad:

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I thinkTeicher also said earlier that Trotter was very interested in playing here because he liked the style of defense Cunningham preaches.
Yep. Thum said Gunther thought Trotter would be a good fit for the scheme. He said Gunther has done his homework and the feeling was mutual from Trotter. Trotter is very interested and knows he could excel in Gunther's scheme. Thum said that they were on the phone at 12:01 last night calling Trotter and Hartwell's agents. It's at least encouraging at this point.

Braincase
03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Have you ever used a handle with the initials "A. H."?

Phobia
03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
610 WIP... also it appears that the 9ers have tendered Ed Hartwell... just an FYI

Do you know what "tendered" means with regard to NFL contracts and Free Agency?

Miles
03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Chris Mortenson on ESPN news said its all but a lock to get done today. And cited Len Pasquarelli as the source.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
They were talking to Mark Echel(SP?) an ,Eagles beatwriter ,and that's what he claimed he was hearing anyhow.. it could still be agent bluster to drum up interest..... we shall see.

Dartgod
Hyperbol
That sounds like something Mark M would build.
Nah, that's Manute's son on meth.

keg in kc
Nah, that's Manute's son on meth.Groan.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I think Hartwell was restricted, so Baltimore can match or else let him walk and recieve picks from the 49 ers as compensation.

TRR
03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I would love it.

Trotter is one guy I watched during the Eagles playoff run and said..."Wow, this guy can freakin' play."

KC Dan
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Philly source that mentions that he will probably go elsewhere - No mention of Chiefs
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/11028117.htm

ptlyon
03-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Philly source that mentions that he will probably go elsewhere - No mention of Chiefs
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/11028117.htm

Well Thanks DAN!

Dartgod
03-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Groan.
Yeah. Like yours was any better.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah. Like yours was any better.Never said it was. I just don't groan at my own bad jokes, any more than I laugh at them.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Trotter is an interesting player, he does have some knee issues and limited range, but if all you ask him to do is play the dive and a B gap he's tits.

KC Dan
03-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Well Thanks DAN!
sorry, didn't know it was a register only view. Somehow I got the link from a friend and it worked for me.......

The Trotter watch continues

http://www.philly.com/images/common/spacer.gif
By LES BOWEN
bowenl@phillynews.com
THE EAGLES were hoping to hear before midnight last night that middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter had accepted their contract offer and was passing up unrestricted free agency.Though team president Joe Banner declined comment a few hours before the deadline, there was no announcement of an agreement. Sources close to the situation said silence should be taken as an indication that Trotter, the team's top priority among its dozen unrestricted free agents, now that Corey Simon has been franchised, seems likely to sign elsewhere. At least, that's the Eagles' assumption, a source said.Neither Trotter nor his agent, Jimmy Sexton, returned calls from the Daily News last night. On Monday, Sexton indicated that talks were continuing. He said he would not characterize his feelings toward them as optimistic or pessimistic.Of course, the Eagles still are allowed to sign Trotter as an unrestricted free agent, but history indicates that is unlikely. When Eagles starters become free agents, sometimes talks continue, but the team doesn't tend to dramatically boost its offers.A source close to the situation said these talks have been much more cordial than the ones between the Eagles and Trotter 3 years ago, which ended with an angry Trotter being released and signing a 7-year, $35.5 million contract with the Redskins. When Trotter was cut last year, he signed a 1-year deal with the Eagles for the veteran minimum of $535,000. He became a starter midway through the season and ended up making the Pro Bowl.Teammates credited Trotter, an emotional, forceful leader, with changing the attitude of the Eagles' defense, and Trotter told reporters after the Super Bowl that he was "very confident we'll get something worked out.''But Eagles officials never have seemed as emphatic as their fans about the difference between Trotter and Mark Simoneau, the 2003 starting middle linebacker who was moved to the weakside at midseason to get Trotter back into the lineup. When assessing Trotter's value, they note that he doesn't play on passing downs, and that he suffered a serious knee injury playing for the Redskins in 2002.If Trotter leaves again, the Eagles might have to deal with fan reaction even more negative than when he was allowed to leave the first time; though the Eagles say they like Simoneau and last year's free-agent rookie, Mike Labinjo, the team might be pushed toward a high-profile free agent such as Baltimore's Edgerton Hartwell, or at least making middle linebacker a priority in the draft.Trotter, restricted free-agent running back Brian Westbrook (tendered at $1.43 million) and defensive tackle Simon, upon whom the Eagles placed the franchise tag, are believed to be the only Eagles the team so far has made an effort to bring back. Right now, the Birds are not believed to be in the running for any prominent free agents from other teams. Among the remaining 10 unrestricted Eagles, several players and agents said they haven't heard anything from the team."I'm just waiting,'' defensive end Hugh Douglas said yesterday from Atlanta, where he is rehabbing from postseason shoulder surgery. Douglas agreed that being 33 and fresh off having his rotator cuff repaired wasn't a great way to greet free agency. Douglas has said he suffered a shoulder injury in the season opener, and it got worse as the year progressed."If I'd had the surgery early on, I might have had a better chance [of attracting offers],'' Douglas said.Linebacker Ike Reese, 31, reiterated his desire to stay with the team that drafted him in the fifth round in 1998. "I want to be here, man,'' Reese said from his South Jersey home. "Hopefully it will work out so that I can retire an Eagle.''But the Eagles have a contractual logjam at linebacker, where both Trotter, who just turned 28 in January, and Adams, who is 25, are both significantly younger than Reese. It's unlikely the Eagles will sign all three LBs.

Phobia
I think Hartwell was restricted, so Baltimore can match or else let him walk and recieve picks from the 49 ers as compensation.

Nah - he's a 4 year vet. He's unrestricted unless B-more tagged him while I wasn't looking. Even if he were restricted, nobody can "tender" him except his current team.

Nevertheless, I knew what you were trying to say. I'm just being picky.

ptlyon
Trotter is an interesting player, he does have some knee issues and limited range, but if all you ask him to do is play the dive and a B gap he's tits.

And we all like those

ptlyon
03-02-2005, 11:13 AM
sorry, didn't know it was a register only view. Somehow I got the link from a friend and it worked for me.......

I meant for the let down. ;)

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
And we all like thoseHmm. That does raise an interesting idea. Maybe we can start calling cleavage gaps. So, a b-cup is a b-gap. C-cup c-gap. Some guys prefer an a-gap, others a EE-gap.

Gives a frightening new aspect to discussions about lineplay, too. Like, say, Sims is a C-gap player. Big ol' manboobs.

Eww.

dirk digler
03-02-2005, 11:18 AM
What's the deal with the Chiefs now trying to sign Eagles D players anyway? It reminds me of us signing 49ers QB's in the 90's.

ptlyon
03-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Some guys prefer an a-gap...

I can't imagine anyone preferring an a-gap - too much left on the outside. With our corners, we'd get burned.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Nah - he's a 4 year vet. He's unrestricted unless B-more tagged him while I wasn't looking. Even if he were restricted, nobody can "tender" him except his current team.

Baltimore slapped him with the mid level tender I believe.

Phobia
03-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Baltimore slapped him with the mid level tender I believe.

How? He's a 4 year vet. You can't be restricted as a 4 year vet.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
correction that was last year, the guy on the 9ers board didnt know what the hell he was talking about.

Mark M
03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
That sounds like something Mark M would build.

I think I had one in college ...
:bong:

I like the idea of getting Trotter, but am still hoping for Hartwell and/or Bell, along with a CB.

Of course, at this point damn near anyone is an upgrade.

MM
~~:arrow:

Phobia
03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
correction that was last year, the guy on the 9ers board didnt know what the hell he was talking about.

We'll forgive you, I guess. :D

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Chris Mortenson on ESPN news said its all but a lock to get done today. And cited Len Pasquarelli as the source.Aww, damnit. I was getting my hopes up, too.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Come on Psicosis, pastabelly's never wrong.

ptlyon
03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Of course, at this point damn near anyone is an upgrade.

No Doubt. I'd take Stickboy covering the corner over Burntee.

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I really like Hartwell, but I think Trotter will be less expensive of the two. At this point I would be excited as hell to land Trotter because not only is he a run-stuffing, powerhouse MLBer, he would also be invaluable with his leadership on the field. Trotter gets it done on the field and is a damn good fit for the Chiefs. He also recently had a Super Bowl visit and would give instant crediability to the other guys on D. If this happens, I will say it's a damn good start at improving our run defense. I'm all for Trotter.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
FWIW, the sports radio station here is reporting that Trotter is good as signed.

is this the same philly source that insisted that Trotter would never sign anywhere but philly last year and in the foreseeable future?

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I dont know how Gunther's scheme compares to Jim Johnson's in Philly. Johnson didnt have him running sideline to sideline, he used him more as a stand up Nose Tackle

KC Kings
I can't imagine anyone preferring an a-gap - too much left on the outside. With our corners, we'd get burned.

I would only perfer an a-gap if it was over an awesome center, and it allowed penetration to the tight end.

Mr. Laz
I really like Hartwell, but I think Trotter will be less expensive of the two. At this point I would be excited as hell to land Trotter because not only is he a run-stuffing, powerhouse MLBer, he would also be invaluable with his leadership on the field. Trotter gets it done on the field and is a damn good fit for the Chiefs. He also recently had a Super Bowl visit and would give instant crediability to the other guys on D. If this happens, I will say it's a damn good start at improving our run defense. I'm all for Trotter.

trotter is not as complete as hartwell

we would have to play trotter on 1st/2nd down and then use Mitchell on 3rd down.

trotter is a run stuffing beast ... but he's not a complete MLB

Mark M
03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
No Doubt. I'd take Stickboy covering the corner over Burntee.

Well, both Bartee and I do have the same number of INTs in our careers ...

MM
~~:banghead:

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I think I had one in college ...
:bong:I bet you got into football because you overheard somebody talking about the Superbol.

njbill
03-02-2005, 11:33 AM
is this the same philly source that insisted that Trotter would never sign anywhere but philly last year and in the foreseeable future?

I'm sorry, did you post something?, I missed it with those hot babes in your sig :p

CosmicPal
03-02-2005, 11:36 AM
My shacking up with Keira Knightly is all but a done deal too. I'm not sold on anything until I see Trotter put on a Chiefs jersey.

darkchief
03-02-2005, 11:39 AM
This would be a nice way to start FA.. Don't stop there front office.... GO GO GO GO!

ROYC75
03-02-2005, 11:40 AM
ESPN News just reported it again, a contract would be iminent .

Phobia
03-02-2005, 11:40 AM
My shacking up with Keira Knightly is all but a done deal too. I'm not sold on anything until I see Trotter put on a Chiefs jersey.

Yeah. I don't see it. I see Thum negotiating Trotters new Philly contract. Seriously.

cookster50
03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I would only perfer an a-gap if it was over an awesome center, and it allowed penetration to the tight end.

So, you like penetration of your tight end?

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 11:42 AM
So, you like penetration of your tight end?How else can you convert 'em to wide receiver.

cookster50
03-02-2005, 11:43 AM
How else can you convert 'em to wide receiver.

Put em in prison.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry, did you post something?, I missed it with those hot babes in your sig :p
heh ... it's my penance for being such a pain in the ass

i figure hot babes make up for the irritation of reading my posts :)

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 11:46 AM

As usual, you're wrong.

siberian khatru
03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
I just hope we're getting the Philly (and healthy) Trotter, not the Washington one. I hope it really is about scheme, and ours is the right fit.

But then, Hartwell plays in a different scheme (3-4), with Ray Lewis next to him, to boot. So the same questions could be raised if we signed him.

I guess with the Chiefs, I just always assume the worst. I AM glad to see them apparently very aggressive early in the FA period, and going after a proven run-stopper.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah. I don't see it. I see Thum negotiating Trotters new Philly contract. Seriously.

I seriously doubt it.

The money has been close with the Eagles and Trotter, but they were way far apart on years. If the Chiefs step up and show him respect, which is something Trotter is a big on.

The Eagles had a month to get something done with him - they didn't.

Coach
03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I just hope we're getting the Philly (and healthy) Trotter, not the Washington one. I hope it really is about scheme, and ours is the right fit.

But then, Hartwell plays in a different scheme (3-4), with Ray Lewis next to him, to boot. So the same questions could be raised if we signed him.

I guess with the Chiefs, I just always assume the worst. I AM glad to see them apparently very aggressive early in the FA period, and going after a proven run-stopper.

Yeah, there's either questions on both way, but hell, either one is a dramatic improvement from last year's sorry-assed MLB position.

HolmeZz
03-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I'd rather have Trotter. I think Jeremiah would be more of a leader too, which is what we need on D.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 11:51 AM
heh ... it's my penance for being such a pain in the ass

No freaking wonder we don't get along!!!

I have sigs turned OFF.

:D

Phobia
I seriously doubt it.

The money has been close with the Eagles and Trotter, but they were way far apart on years. If the Chiefs step up and show him respect, which is something Trotter is a big on.

The Eagles had a month to get something done with him - they didn't.

I dunno. Could go either way. Maybe the Eagles got sick of the bargaining table and told him to bring them a better offer. I just think Trotter is concerned about repeating the Skins mistake. I view him as a Brian Cox intensity guy who isn't that hung up on the money....

BigChiefFan
trotter is not as complete as hartwell

we would have to play trotter on 1st/2nd down and then use Mitchell on 3rd down.

trotter is a run stuffing beast ... but he's not a complete MLB
To me, it isn't an issue of, of the two who is better? It's "Does signing Trotter improve the Kansas City Chiefs"? The answer to that question is YES!!! Trotter is a run-stuffing MLBer, who is coming off a recent SB visit. He has instant crediabilty among the others. He's also a vocal guy who leads by example. We are sorely lacking a leader on defense and to get a leader at the QB position of the D is a damn good move that I can't find fault in. Trotter is a run-stuffing beast and will help shore up one of our biggest weaknesses. I commend the FO if this happens, you should, too, because it's Hell of alot better than worrying if Maz will make it back or if Mitchell's POTENTIAL will come to fruition.

Hoover
03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I just hope we get him for a good deal and not pay the guy super star money.

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 11:53 AM
"Use 'a-gap' in a sentence for the class, Tommy."
"That ugly sumbitch has a-gap in his teeth."

dirk digler
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I find it interesting that they are bringing both Trotter and Hartwell in together. Wouldn't they play the same position or do you think Gun would move Hartwell to the outside?

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I just hope we get him for a good deal and not pay the guy super star money.
I read that the Eagles didn't want to give him a $4 million signing bonus.(don't know how true that is) That's peanuts on anything over a one year contract.

siberian khatru
03-02-2005, 11:56 AM
To me, it isn't an issue of, of the two who is better? It's "Does signing Trotter improve the Kansas City Chiefs"? The answer to that question is YES!!! Trotter is a run-stuffing MLBer, who is coming off a recent SB visit. He has instant crediabilty among the others. He's also a vocal guy who leads by example. We are sorely lacking a leader on defense and to get a leader at the QB position of the D is a damn good move that I can't find fault in. Trotter is a run-stuffing beast and will help shore up one of our biggest weaknesses. I commend the FO if this happens, you should, too, because it's Hell of alot better than worrying if Maz will make it back or if Mitchell's POTENTIAL will come to fruition.

That's a good way of looking at it.

Rausch
03-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Now that you bring it up, do you know what the main specifications are to transition tag someone?

dirk digler
03-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Now that you bring it up, do you know what the main specifications are to transition tag someone?

A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."

cookster50
03-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I find it interesting that they are bringing both Trotter and Hartwell in together. Wouldn't they play the same position or do you think Gun would move Hartwell to the outside?

Uhhhhh, just because they bring a guy in to interview/show around doesn't mean they are going to sign them.

ENDelt260
I have sigs turned OFF.

Really? So, if I were to modify your sig to read, say, "Hi, I'm htismaque. I'll suck your cock for five dollars." You wouldn't notice for awhile?

Phobia

I think you can transition tag anybody, but it would be silly to tag a RFA because you can achieve a much better "hold" on them by tendering them at the highest level and it costs significantly less (depending on the position). That said, you're only gonna see your 4 year vets tagged with the transition or franchise tags.

Transition tag is a one year tender of the top 10 salaries at the same position. Franchise = top 5.

Transition gives team right of first refusal. Franchise gives team 2 1st rounders or otherwise agreed upon compensation.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Really? So, if I were to modify your sig to read, say, "Hi, I'm htismaque. I'll suck your cock for five dollars." You wouldn't notice for awhile?

I'll just reduce you to NON-MOD status.

dirk digler
03-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Uhhhhh, just because they bring a guy in to interview/show around doesn't mean they are going to sign them.

I understand I just think it is interesting that is all.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:07 PM
I'll just reduce you to NON-MOD status.Yeah, that was pretty insulting.

Parker doesn't blow for less than seven-fifty, according to Phil.

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I'll just reduce you to NON-MOD status.
Boy, there's a threat that'll keep me up nights.

ptlyon
03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that was pretty insulting.

Parker doesn't blow for less than seven-fifty, according to Phil.

Maybe it's a Free Agency sale?

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
No freaking wonder we don't get along!!!

I have sigs turned OFF.

:DIn that case...

Why you should VOTE PSI IN '05, even if free elections are suppressed in this totalitarian fiefdom. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/pabloescobar/voteforpsi.gif)

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Boy, there's a threat that'll keep me up nights.

You mean this isn't a popularity contest?

OmahaChief
03-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Remind me again how Trotter played outside of the Eagles system. Oh, that's right he stunk it up in Washington. Seems to me he is a scheme player. Did we not already take one of the Eagles rejects only to watch him under achieve?

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Remind me again how Trotter played outside of the Eagles system. Oh, that's right he stunk it up in Washington. Seems to me he is a scheme player. Did we not already take one of the Eagles rejects only to watch him under achieve?
He fits our scheme. That's one of the reasons he set up his first visit to Kansas City according to Thum. Thum said Gunther has done his homework and personally picked Trotter as FA we should target.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 12:50 PM

The Eagles defensive scheme is alot like Gunther's.

Nightfyre
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
The Eagles defensive scheme is alot like Gunther's.
They run a 4-6 4-3 defense, blitz a ton. I love watching their D. too bad their O is so pass oriented....

Lzen
03-02-2005, 01:01 PM

What do you mean "if"?

Oh.....riiiiight. ;)

beer bacon
03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Trotter is indeed a scheme player. A blitz heavy scheme player. It looks like we are in luck.