PDA

View Full Version : Trotter "almost a LOCK" to sign with the Chiefs!!!

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Mort just reported this on ESPNews when he mentioned that Trotter's in KC today.

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
**** yeah!!!!

Mr. Kotter
03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
**** yeah!!!!

Double **** yeah!!!

(I'm still waitin' for an official announcement or link though....)

Kris Kringle
03-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Wasn't Hugh Douglas "as good as signed" last year?

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Wasn't Hugh Douglas "as good as signed" last year?Nope.

milkman
Well Mort's better than someone like Fred Edelstein (is he still out there somewhere?), but until there's a podium with Trotter, DickWad, Gun and Carl standing behind, anouncing that the ink is drying as they speak, I ain't gettin' excited.

Ghostof
If he does sign and we get Trotter, how much of an impact is he going to have? I just dont see how we are going to bounce back to the defense of the 90's by putting all the weight on one or two players during the offseason. What happens if these same players that we sign get hurt at the beginning of the season and are out for the year....then we'll be no better off then what we were last year.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Well Mort's better than someone like Fred Edelstein (is he still out there somewhere?), but until there's a podium with Trotter, DickWad, Gun and Carl standing behind, anouncing that the ink is drying as they speak, I ain't gettin' excited.I'm not sure how likely that is, since Carl and Vermeil are in different parts of the country.

Wonder how the announcement would go if it did happen today? Thum do it, maybe, or Vermeil?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
KC Star Headline for tomorrow, Chiefs Hot to Trotter

Sure-Oz
03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
That would rock!!

Mr. Kotter
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
If he does sign and we get Trotter, how much of an impact is he going to have? I just dont see how we are going to bounce back to the defense of the 90's by putting all the weight on one or two players during the offseason. What happens if these same players that we sign get hurt at the beginning of the season and are out for the year....then we'll be no better off then what we were last year.

It depends.

If somehow we get Trotter and Gold (or draft Johnson); and we get Surtain and Rolle (or draft Rolle or Jones) then I'd say we are poised to make substantial improvement.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
KC Star Headline for tomorrow, Chiefs Hot to TrotterGroan.

Their editors are that bad, though.

Bwana
03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
A year late, but good! I hope it happens.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
It depends.

If somehow we get Trotter and Gold (or draft Johnson); and we get Surtain and Rolle (or draft Rolle or Jones) then I'd say we are poised to make substantial improvement.Simply finding a leader on defense (or more than one) could make a significant difference.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Groan.

Their editors are that bad, though.

Chiefs on a Rolle

jspchief
03-02-2005, 12:15 PM

So what is your solution to our defensive woes?

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Chiefs on a RolleChiefs Surtain to improve at corner

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2005, 12:18 PM
So what is your solution to our defensive woes?

we're DOOOOOOOOMED

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Chiefs Atari Bigby in the chicken noodle soup!

Kerberos
03-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Well Mort's better than someone like Fred Edelstein (is he still out there somewhere?), but until there's a podium with Trotter, DickWad, Gun and Carl standing behind, anouncing that the ink is drying as they speak, I ain't gettin' excited.

Amen brotha.... Until I see the same thing and a jersey with his name on it I aint gonna hold my breath either!

Wallcrawler

Did you not watch the Eagles?

Trotter is a monster in the Run support game, and can disrupt passing plays as well.

And we are not putting the weight of the defense on one or two players.

The players that we do get are going to allow the rest of the players on defense to play BETTER.

For example, a new cornerback will move Warfield to number two immediately. Warfield did fairly well against teams' number one receviers last season, so going against the number two guys will ease the pressure on him.

Kawika mitchell/Monty Beisel were all but ineffective in the middle. With a new middle linebacker present, our safeties and linebackers arent trying to make up for a huge hole in the middle of the field that is constantly being exploited.

As for the injury thing, yeah. By the same token we could lose Trent Green, and Tony Gonzalez for the year and revert back to the offense of the 90's and score 10 points per game and be screwed. Thats the chance you take.

Ultra Peanut
KC Star Headline for tomorrow, Chiefs Hot to TrotterI don't know which kind of rep I owe you for that one.

KC Kings
03-02-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure how likely that is, since Carl and Vermeil are in different parts of the country.

Wonder how the announcement would go if it did happen today? Thum do it, maybe, or Vermeil?

Thum does quite a bit of this, so it wouldn't be surprising at all.

The same topic came up last year. People were questioning Carl and Dick because Thum seemed to be the man in charge of talking to potential Chiefs.

KC Kings
03-02-2005, 12:23 PM

What would you suggest that we do? We can't replace the entire defense, so we have 2 options. Do nothing (didn't work last season), and sign some new players. Is Trotter signing worth orgasmic excitement? Not at all, but it is a hell of a lot better than going with what we have.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:26 PM
KC could have had him last year for the vet minimum...typical Carl, he's going to overpay.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm okay as long as we don't trade for Surtain. Guys like him are available for free every year.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm okay as long as we don't trade for Surtain. Guys like him are available for free every year.

*chuckle* Sorry, I had a Packfan flashback...

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:29 PM
This offseason is a perfect example of why the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in eight years. Err, twelve years.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Seriously though...if Trotter plays like he did last year and not like he did the year before at Wash, this would anchor the defense. I believe it starts at MLB.

DaWolf
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
This could end up mirroring the offseason two years ago when we signed Barber out of the gate and signed McCleon not too much after, IIRC. Here we wanna get one of the LB's of our choice in the fold and then probably go hard after one of the corners of our choice.

It's also nice that we're letting Gun define his types of players and going hard after them, because Gun's scheme doesn't work unless he has his type of players. What Gun was doing last year just didn't even come close to fitting what our personnel could do. And it flies in the face of all those conspiracy people out there saying Gun has very little input into how to shape this defense...

Chiefnj
03-02-2005, 12:33 PM
I heard Trotter lost his burst.

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 12:34 PM
What would you suggest that we do? We can't replace the entire defense, so we have 2 options. Do nothing (didn't work last season), and sign some new players. Is Trotter signing worth orgasmic excitement? Not at all, but it is a hell of a lot better than going with what we have.
After watching the Chiefs run defense for the past 4 years, I would say landing Trotter is close to orgasmic climax. :)

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:34 PM
This could end up mirroring the offseason two years ago when we signed Barber out of the gate and signed McCleon not too much after, IIRC. Here we wanna get one of the LB's of our choice in the fold and then probably go hard after one of the corners of our choice...

Well...let's hope that the FA's Carl signs this year dont actually turn out to suck. *snicker*

StcChief
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
KC Star Headline for tomorrow, Chiefs Hot to Trotter

It's as good as any of the other stupid attention grabbing titles used daily for any story.

Wallcrawler
03-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Seriously though...if Trotter plays like he did last year and not like he did the year before at Wash, this would anchor the defense. I believe it starts at MLB.

Definately. Your middle linebacker is key to having a solid defense. Hes like the QB of the defense. If Trotter plays like he did in Philly this season, he will certainly help shore up that rush defense if he is signed.

Gunther's attacking style defense should make outstanding use of Trotter's talents at the MLB position.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:36 PM
This offseason is a perfect example of why the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in eight years. Err, twelve years.

Oh! I just had a perfect Packfan line...

Trotter reminds me of Kawika Mitchell...from the film Ive watched he looks exactly like Mitchell. If Trotter was any good, do you think Philly would let him go?

(from the Holmes post--probably my most favorite post of his)

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 12:37 PM
This offseason is a perfect example of why the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in eight years. Err, twelve years.ROFL

ROYC75
03-02-2005, 12:37 PM
ESPN News just reported again that a contract today is iminent ( sp ).

Fingers crossed , waiting to see an official announcement!

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:39 PM
ESPN News just reported again that a contract today is iminent ( sp ).

Fingers crossed , waiting to see an official announcement!

Scanlon's never going to get on the field.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Scanlon's never going to get on the field.Brilliant statement there. What's next? "The sky is blue"?

cookster50
03-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Sure he will, Trotter will be Scanlon's backup, DUH!

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Seriously though...if Trotter plays like he did last year and not like he did the year before at Wash, this would anchor the defense. I believe it starts at MLB. I guess you missed the big Thum interview? Thum said one of the reasons Trotter liked Kansas City is because he believes he can excel in Gunther's defensive scheme. Gunther has made it very clear the players that he wants us to pursue and Trotter is one of those players. Thum said Gunther had done his homework and Trotter had,too. He said there was a mutual respect.

BTW, Trotter is a run-stuffing general and would be a kick-ass pick-up.

keg in kc
Sure he will, Trotter will be Scanlon's backup, DUH!Yeah, Titus, you really screwed up with that Mitchell bit. Would've been much better if you used the real stud, Scanlon. I mean, why the hell sign a guy like Trotter, he's just another Rich Scanlon.

ROYC75

Wouldn't say that, with possibly Caver,Jones and Biesel gone...there is still going to be roster spot available.

Cochise
Anyone have this from a source in print? Or, on web?

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Titus, you really screwed up with that Mitchell bit. Would've been much better if you used the real stud, Scanlon. I mean, why the hell sign a guy like Trotter, he's just another Rich Scanlon.

Yeah...I didnt think of it until I saw Roy's post.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
I guess you missed the big Thum interview? Thum said one of the reasons Trotter liked Kansas City is because he believes he can excel in Gunther's defensive scheme. Gunther has made it very clear the players that he wants us to pursue and Trotter is one of those players. Thum said Gunther had done his homework and Trotter had,too. He said there was a mutual respect.

BTW, Trotter is a run-stuffing general and would be a kick-ass pick-up.

Yep, I missed it. Was terribly busy this AM with vendor meetings.

I hope he pans out.

OldTownChief
03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Trotter reminds me of Kawika Mitchell...from the film Ive watched he looks exactly like Mitchell. If Trotter was any good, do you think Philly would let him go?

I agree, remarkably similar

# 54 Jeremiah Trotter
Position: MLB
Height: 6-1
Weight: 262

# 50 Kawika Mitchell
Weight: 253

Trotter
Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD P Def

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 16 69 60.0 9 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

Mitchell

2004 Kansas City Chiefs 15 72 58.0 14 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 3

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Holy cow, mitchell played 72 games this year? No wonder he wore down.

OldTownChief
03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Holy cow, mitchell played 72 games this year? No wonder he wore down.

According to my post he played 15.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 12:56 PM

# 54 Jeremiah Trotter

# 50 Kawika Mitchell

Trotter

Mitchell

Ouch. That stings.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
ROFL

Cochise
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Ouch. That stings.

Isn't it true that he also was not starting until injuries dictated this year?

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Isn't it true that he also was not starting until injuries dictated this year?

I think Trotter was the #2...yes, I think you're right.

Wallcrawler
Keep in mind that Trotter did not START until after week 8.

He is given credit for playing 16 games because he was playing special teams.

KCTitus

Wow! That's great OTC, it's even funnier now.

Tuckdaddy
Fabulous! Get that man a uniform. Mort had better not be bullshi@t'in.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:01 PM
I would be more than impressed With King Carl if Trotter is signed by the end of the day.

OldTownChief
03-02-2005, 01:02 PM

Next time I'll add an "*"

htismaqe

Of course, the same can basically be said of Mitchell.

Mitchell started two games in like weeks 4 and 5 but had to leave early with soreness.

He didn't actually start at MLB until week 7.

Lzen

So basically, Trotter would've gotten twice the tackles as Mitchell if he had played the whole year.

Wait a second. Wasn't Mitchell out a few games?

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM

# 54 Jeremiah Trotter

# 50 Kawika Mitchell

Trotter

Mitchell

yea.. until you take into account that around 8 of those games you show trotter as playing in weren't at MLB.

it played... but only on special teams

he only started the last half of the season at MLB

Phobia
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
I'd like to see the Chiefs pay any amount to get a LEADER on that side of the ball, I don't care if they gotta bring Brian Cox out of retirement.

An intense LEADER will mean something on that side of the ball, IMO.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
So basically, Trotter would've gotten twice the tackles as Mitchell if he had played the whole year.

Wait a second. Wasn't Mitchell out a few games?

If you've watched the Eagles play, you would realize that Trotter impacted far more plays than his tackle stats indicate.

I'm glad he had that DC experience because it humbled him. He's a really good player who is only 27 years old.

Iowanian
03-02-2005, 01:06 PM
**Mitchell didn't start 16 games Either

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Mitchell - 12 start and 55 tackles in those starts

Trotter - 9 starts with 50 tackles in those starts

1 of the starts for Trotter was the last game of the year when most starters only played a little. He registered just 1 tackle in that game.

There's the difference in the numbers.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
**Mitchell didn't start 16 games Either

didnt he start 15 games ...

i think he missed 1 and 1/2 games in 2004

petegz28
Of course, the same can basically be said of Mitchell.

Mitchell started two games in like weeks 4 and 5 but had to leave early with soreness.

He didn't actually start at MLB until week 7.

And sadly that was after Beisel was hurt and couldn't start at MLB.

HolmeZz
Yeah, stats are irrelevant. Especially if you saw what Trotter did in the playoffs; he went nuts.

Wallcrawler
If you've watched the Eagles play, you would realize that Trotter impacted far more plays than his tackle stats indicate.

I'm glad he had that DC experience because it humbled him. He's a really good player who is only 27 years old.

EXACTLY.

Kawika Mitchell doesnt come close to having the impact on the team that Trotter had with the Eagles.

Trotter was tackling the crap out of people, stuffing them in the backfield for losses, pumping up the crowd and screaming his head off, firing up his teammates.

Mitchells tackles were mostly after a 5-7 yard gain at the minimum, and after a couple of failed attempts to strip the football, he finally decided to go for the tackle.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 01:08 PM

So you're hoping that Trotter with a fat new contract doesnt play like the last time he was sitting on a fat new contract. Tall order.

I'd like to hope you're right, we'll see on the field.

OldTownChief
At the risk of being in someones sig next year I'm going out on a limb to say Trotter's best years are behind him now and Kawika's are yet to come.

htismaqe
I just friggin hope this shit is true.

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Guys if you are just using stats to compare the two you can make an argument for Mitchell, but let's be real. Trotter is a proven run-stuffing MLBer. Mitchell is all potential at this point.

HolmeZz
At the risk of being in someones sig next year I'm going out on a limb to say Trotter's best years are behind him now and Kawika's are yet to come.

That's golden. Doubt you'll live that down either.

Tuckdaddy
Philly let Trotter go because they have a young MLB already that they like. Trotter was actually the back up. Forget the Wash fiasco. He played for Spurrier who had bad coaches and no clue as to what he was doing.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2005, 01:10 PM
EXACTLY.

Kawika Mitchell doesnt come close to having the impact on the team that Trotter had with the Eagles.

Trotter was tackling the crap out of people, stuffing them in the backfield for losses, pumping up the crowd and screaming his head off, firing up his teammates.

Mitchells tackles were mostly after a 5-7 yard gain at the minimum, and after a couple of failed attempts to strip the football, he finally decided to go for the tackle.

Also take into count the number of plays. I'm sure the Eagles had far less offensive plays against them than our D did, giving up long drives.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 01:11 PM
didnt he start 15 games ...

i think he missed 1 and 1/2 games in 2004

No, he suited up for 15 games. He started 11 I think. But the first two he started he was still hurt, so he went back to the bench.

He wasn't fully healthy until week 7.

Of course, it's moot. Comparing him to Trotter is just plain stupid.

Clint in Wichita
03-02-2005, 01:13 PM

You left out that Mitchell's best years will be half as productive as Trotter's worst.

Sure-Oz
03-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Trotter is only 27, i doubt he will slow down anytime soon unless he gets hurt.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Trotter was in the backfield more in the Super Bowl than Mitchell was all year! Plus Trotter understands the concept of TACKLING. Go figure!

Chiefnj
03-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Was Trotter taken out in passing situations? I thought he was a two down MLB.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Was Trotter taken out in passing situations? I thought he was a two down MLB.Think that's true.

TEX
03-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Guys if you are just using stats to compare the two you can make an argument for Mitchell, but let's be real. Trotter is a proven run-stuffing MLBer. Mitchell is all potential at this point.

I agree except I question Mitchell's potential. Thus far he has shown nothing to make me think that he'll be anything but a Spacial Teamer or decent depth. What can he do well? Maybe blow up screens from time to time but he's far from being a starting MLB in the NFL and he hasn't shown anything, on game day at least, to suggest that he can be.

cmh6476
I'm not reading through this whole thread, but looks like it's a done deal!

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111389&view=findpost&p=1215104

petegz28
Think that's true.

That's fine with me. If he can stop the run you can bring in Stills (Although not a MLB) for the pass rush on passing downs and mix things up that way.

milkman
03-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Trotter was in the backfield more in the Super Bowl than Mitchell was all year! Plus Trotter understands the concept of TACKLING. Go figure!

Hell, I don't think Mitchell could find the backfiled, if you gave him a map, and gave him hand written instructions.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 01:20 PM

it's not like signing Trotter (or any other MLB) means we are cutting Mitchell.

Mitchell will be in position to take over at starting linebacker as soon as he shows he capable of doing so.

milkman
03-02-2005, 01:21 PM
That's fine with me. If he can stop the run you can bring in Stills (Although not a MLB) for the pass rush on passing downs and mix things up that way.

Why do you want to bring in Stills.
He's only had something like 4 sacks in 5 years.

That's supposed to be his specialty.
If's that's so, imagine how much he sucks in every other aspect.

Cut him, I say.
He's ****in' useless.

Cochise
03-02-2005, 01:22 PM
good Lord, another "Stills is the answer to all our defensive problems" pimp.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM

Cut him, I say.
He's ****in' useless.

Just trying to work with what we got I guess. I like Stills on Special Teams. I agree he hasn't produced much on the pass rush. But he is still one of the fastest we have I guess.

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm not reading through this whole thread, but looks like it's a done deal!

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111389&view=findpost&p=1215104
What a crap link. That's the same stuff that's being said here... reports that "it's gonna happen"

Just heard that Trotter will sign with K.C. in the next 24 hours.SportingNews radio is reporting.

Sure-Oz
They call stills position the Tweety Bird.

Mr. Laz

Cut him, I say.
He's ****in' useless.

he's even screwed up on special teams some

how many key blocks has he missed that cost Dante hall a touchdown return because stills was more concern with sprinting with hall to celebrate to endzone instead of blocking?

i can think of 2 last year ... might be more.

Chiefnj

How does Trotter being a two down MLB have anything to do with Stills being brought in at DE?

The point is that the Chiefs might still need a MLB who can play passing downs.

Wallcrawler
Hell, I don't think Mitchell could find the backfiled, if you gave him a map, and gave him hand written instructions.

If football instinct was spit, Kawika Mitchell's mouth would be drier than a shallow well in an African heat wave.

The guy seems to search out people to block him, taking himself out of the play, makes halfassed attempts to strip the ball allowing for more yards before he finally shows us his tragi-comic attempt at a real tackle.

Its like he thinks its illegal to use his arms while tackling.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
good Lord, another "Stills is the answer to all our defensive problems" pimp.

Now now I never said that. :Poke:

Phobia
03-02-2005, 01:27 PM

IMO, getting into the backfield is Mitchell's forte'. He can blow up a screen or sweep but he sucks in space and pursuit.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:28 PM
How does Trotter being a two down MLB have anything to do with Stills being brought in at DE?

Was just throwing that out there. Maybe you bring in Stills and leave in Fujita and hopefully Johnson. I don't know just working with what we have. Jared Allen is gonna draw more attention this year so maybe Stills coming off the edge has a better chance. I am talking more about 3rd and 10+ not 3rd and 6 or so.

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 01:31 PM
What a crap link. That's the same stuff that's being said here... reports that "it's gonna happen"That's not good enough for you? Geeze, dude.

Fine. Here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111122)'s a link from a more reputable source.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2005, 01:32 PM

I wouldn't even waste my time on a sig like that.

Trotter's 28. Mitchell is 26.

Spicy McHaggis

I think on obvious passing downs the middle linebacker is going to be out regardless of whether its Trotter or someone else. I would figure in the nickle and dine it would be our OLB staying on the field like Fujita and whoever takes the other spot (please be Derrick Johnson)

Stinger
IMO, getting into the backfield is Mitchell's forte'. He can blow up a screen or sweep and arm tacklebut he sucks in space and pursuit and bring down players after the initial hit.
Fixed your post :p

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Throw Kawika Mitchell's ass into cornerback cover drills all preseason long so that he can work on that.

Trotter on 1st and 2nd down ... mitchell on 3rd down

it keeps Mitchell in the team plans and keeps trotter outa coverage some.

btw Trotter is only 28yrs old i think ... born in 1977.

Chief Henry
03-02-2005, 01:35 PM
A year late, but good! I hope it happens.

You can fricken say that again.... :thumb:

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:35 PM

how many key blocks has he missed that cost Dante hall a touchdown return because stills was more concern with sprinting with hall to celebrate to endzone instead of blocking?

Everyone screws up at times. Yes he missed a few blocks but he was also out htere when Dantae scored all his TD's too.

And I can remember Dante taking a TD away from himself without being touched by anyone.

Stills is still a pro-bowl special teams player.

milkman
03-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Exactly.

Let's get players that actually have a chance to contribute on everydown, and we'd also have players that can play special teams.

Aside from kickers, punters, and Pete Gammon, ST players need to be more than just ST players.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2005, 01:36 PM
btw Morton we just on again...

paraphrase..

"i must credit pastabelly for this... but he says Trotter is kansas city today and is almost a lock to sign there because talks with philly have broken down"

tiptap
03-02-2005, 01:37 PM
IMO, getting into the backfield is Mitchell's forte'. He can blow up a screen or sweep but he sucks in space and pursuit.

Mitchell has good speed, you move him to the outside and let him make plays from there. Trotter gets the MLB position and Beisel on the other side. This is assuming Fujita is selected for a 3-4 defense and we get a draft selection. Otherwise we see if Fujita can keep his place. Fujita originally got the job because we had 0 speed at LB three years ago. Now we just need them to tackle. Beisel of Fujita would work on the ST play well.

homey
03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
The guy seems to search out people to block him, taking himself out of the play, makes halfassed attempts to strip the ball allowing for more yards before he finally shows us his tragi-comic attempt at a real tackle.

Case in point, Michael Pittman's 70-something yard TD run. Most pathetic display I witnessed this year.

On a side note, I'd rather us get Gold than Trotter.

OldTownChief
03-02-2005, 01:41 PM
You left out that Mitchell's best years will be half as productive as Trotter's worst.

Uh Huh

The Bad Guy
03-02-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm listening to the Eagles offical site's radio show today and it's pathetic.

Host: "Jeremiah Trotter just doesn't fit with any other team in the NFL but the Eagles."

I will laugh my ass off once he signs here and I can laugh at all these parasites that call themselves Eagles fans.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm listening to the Eagles offical site's radio show today and it's pathetic.

Host: "Jeremiah Trotter just doesn't fit with any other team in the NFL but the Eagles."

I will laugh my ass off once he signs here and I can laugh at all these parasites that call themselves Eagles fans.

Well that is reassuring to the point that we are hopfully getting someone they think should stay.

Coogs
03-02-2005, 01:44 PM
So if it is 3rd down, and a "nickel" package is needed instead of a short yardage defense, wouldn't the majority of the MLB's in the NFL come out anyway?

Kyle401
03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd like to see the Chiefs pay any amount to get a LEADER on that side of the ball, I don't care if they gotta bring Brian Cox out of retirement.

An intense LEADER will mean something on that side of the ball, IMO.
Without a doubt, this defense has way too many braves/squaws and no Chiefs.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Mitchell has good speed, you move him to the outside and let him make plays from there. Trotter gets the MLB position and Beisel on the other side. This is assuming Fujita is selected for a 3-4 defense and we get a draft selection. Otherwise we see if Fujita can keep his place. Fujita originally got the job because we had 0 speed at LB three years ago. Now we just need them to tackle. Beisel of Fujita would work on the ST play well.

Why do people keep wanting to move Mitchell? He's a MIDDLE LINEBACKER. If he's not good enough to get on the field there, sit his ass on the bench.

Wallcrawler
03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Why do people keep wanting to move Mitchell? He's a MIDDLE LINEBACKER. If he's not good enough to get on the field there, sit his ass on the bench.

:thumb:

Rausch
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM

Exactly.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 01:54 PM
So if it is 3rd down, and a "nickel" package is needed instead of a short yardage defense, wouldn't the majority of the MLB's in the NFL come out anyway?

Yes. Well at least in a Nickel your MLB will. Or at least typically does.

Coach
03-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I tell ya, King Carl is probably sittin back, reading all these posts just laughing his arse off, with two free agents in his pocket. It's spite, spite I say! :cuss:

ROYC75
03-02-2005, 01:56 PM

It was mentioned by many scouts prior to the draft of Mitchell he excelled better when played the OLB position in college.

It might have something to do with that.

milkman
03-02-2005, 01:57 PM

I think it's that people, in spite of the fact they should be used to it, don't want to see Mitchell be another in a long line of 2nd round busts.

Wallcrawler
03-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Its pretty amusing to see stuff like that. If a guy sucks, and cant play intelligently at one position, they suggest moving him somewhere else.

On the outside, Mitchell would have a rougher time than inside. Can you imagine him trying to cover a Tight End or slot receiver? Please.

When you have played most of your career at one position, youre supposed to know what youre doing. Making the transition from college to NFL is tough, when you know the position youre playing.

Moving to a completely different position and trying to learn all of that from scratch at the NFL level wont do Kawika Mitchell any good at all, at least not for a couple years even if he was able to grasp it.

If you want an OLB, sign/draft and OLB. Dont go moving MLBs to OLB just because they cant seem to get their head out of their ass.

The chiefs have been doing it for years putting safeties out at the CB position. It hasnt worked well at all. If you want someone to play a position, get someone already at that position.

Coogs
03-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Yes. Well at least in a Nickel your MLB will. Or at least typically does.

So what would be the problem then if he is a "2 down" LB. I would assume on 3rd and short he would be on the field, or the DC would have some explanin' to do.

matts22
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry, I'm new here, but Mitchell is not a good MLB. Yes, he gets the job done sometimes, but that's not all there is to a MLB. He is THE leader of the defense, and Mitchell hasn't shown me anything that says he can be the leader (even of a pitiful defense).

petegz28
03-02-2005, 02:02 PM
So what would be the problem then if he is a "2 down" LB. I would assume on 3rd and short he would be on the field, or the DC would have some explanin' to do.

I agree 100%. But if you get in a tweener down like 3rd and 7 on the offensive 25 you might pull him maybe drop Fuji in coverage and blitz stills and hopfully Johnson. That's where the DC has to get creative I guess. And that is IF you pull Trotter.

ROYC75
03-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Its pretty amusing to see stuff like that. If a guy sucks, and cant play intelligently at one position, they suggest moving him somewhere else.

On the outside, Mitchell would have a rougher time than inside. Can you imagine him trying to cover a Tight End or slot receiver? Please.

When you have played most of your career at one position, youre supposed to know what youre doing. Making the transition from college to NFL is tough, when you know the position youre playing.

Moving to a completely different position and trying to learn all of that from scratch at the NFL level wont do Kawika Mitchell any good at all, at least not for a couple years even if he was able to grasp it.

If you want an OLB, sign/draft and OLB. Dont go moving MLBs to OLB just because they cant seem to get their head out of their ass.

The chiefs have been doing it for years putting safeties out at the CB position. It hasnt worked well at all. If you want someone to play a position, get someone already at that position.

Actually Mitchell has good speed in dropping in the pass coverage. It was mentioned by many scouts that before he moved to MLB in college, he was better served on the OLB position.

But those were old reports. We have all seen 1st hand, he provides nothing but a blocking buddy in the middle.

Coogs
03-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I agree 100%. But if you get in a tweener down like 3rd and 7 on the offensive 25 you might pull him maybe drop Fuji in coverage and blitz stills and hopfully Johnson. That's where the DC has to get creative I guess. And that is IF you pull Trotter.

If you have 2 good CB's (we need at least 1), 2 good safeties (again, we need at least 1), and a good nickel back (Woods maybe?), that would seem like the ideal thing to do on 3rd and 7.

petegz28
03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
If you have 2 good CB's (we need at least 1), 2 good safeties (again, we need at least 1), and a good nickel back (Woods maybe?), that would seem like the ideal thing to do on 3rd and 7.

K you lost me with Woods at nickelback. I like Woods but I just think he is old and done. But now Benny Sapp at nickel I can go for.
I think Harts can be a good Safety. I was more impressed with him last year than Woods. Maybe it is just his youth.

Coogs
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
K you lost me with Woods at nickelback. I like Woods but I just think he is old and done. But now Benny Sapp at nickel I can go for.
I think Harts can be a good Safety. I was more impressed with him last year than Woods. Maybe it is just his youth.

I was just thinking Woods played nickel back for us early in the season last year, and did fairly well. Could be wrong though.

htismaqe
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Harts > Woods

Pile > Harts

Chiefnj
03-02-2005, 02:28 PM

I honestly don't know which MLB's on other teams come off the field in pass situations - does Edwards in SD - I doubt it, does Urlacher, Vilma? Although MLB's they might be better than some of the OLB's on those teams.

I recall seeing Mitchell in on a lot of pass plays. I specifically recall at least two instances where he was 30 yards downfield and a ball hit him in the back or back of the head.

Nightfyre
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I honestly don't know which MLB's on other teams come off the field in pass situations - does Edwards in SD - I doubt it, does Urlacher, Vilma? Although MLB's they might be better than some of the OLB's on those teams.

I recall seeing Mitchell in on a lot of pass plays. I specifically recall at least two instances where he was 30 yards downfield and a ball hit him in the back or back of the head.
WEll, maybe we should line him up at CB, he is one step ahead of bartee if hes stopping the play with his back turned.

tomahawk kid
03-02-2005, 02:43 PM
The suspense is starting to get to me. I want to see something confirmed.

Nightfyre
03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
exactly!

Nightfyre
03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Actually, my eagles fan friend said Trotter would never sign with anyone but the eagles. I really want to rub it in his face. Like print off the story and tape it to his door or something.

tk13
03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Remember folks, free agent season, high stress... drink lots of water and always remember to stretch before posting. Don't want to see a repeat of the Hugh Douglas Plague of '03, those were tough days, mental illness running wild on ChiefsPlanet.

Nightfyre
03-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Remember folks, free agent season, high stress... drink lots of water and always remember to stretch before posting. Don't want to see a repeat of the Hugh Douglas Plague of '03, those were tough days, mental illness running wild on ChiefsPlanet.
OOOOO CHARLIE HORSE!!!

Mr. Kotter
03-02-2005, 02:49 PM

No kidding; I still haven't recovered from that.... :shake:

tomahawk kid
03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
ROFL

siberian khatru
03-02-2005, 02:56 PM
"The suspense is killing me ... I hope it lasts."

Cochise
03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Don't want to see a repeat of the Hugh Douglas Plague of '03, those were tough days, mental illness running wild on ChiefsPlanet.

What? You mean Carl didn't go get him?

TRR
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
On the Eagles message board, one of the posters says that a Philly radio host talked to Trotter today, and Trotter said whatever offer he gets, he is going to give Philly a chance to match.

We shall see...

ceebz
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Yuck. Talk about valuable cap space wasted. We don't have 3 Pro Bowlers in the secondary to allow Trotter to run-blitz on every down.

What an awful signing for the Chiefs....

crispystl420
03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Man I wish we could get an official announcement. I'm gonna have to sneak over to the computer at work every five minutes if this keeps up!

TRR
03-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Yuck. Talk about valuable cap space wasted. We don't have 3 Pro Bowlers in the secondary to allow Trotter to run-blitz on every down.

What an awful signing for the Chiefs....

What???? The Eagles front seven make the Eagles D Backfield look like Superstars. Other than Dawkins, the Eagles secondary is average. Look at what Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor did on other teams this season...Nothing.

buddha
03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry, I'm new here, but Mitchell is not a good MLB. Yes, he gets the job done sometimes, but that's not all there is to a MLB. He is THE leader of the defense, and Mitchell hasn't shown me anything that says he can be the leader (even of a pitiful defense).

Mitchell is a bust at this point. Just because he lined up at MLB, doesn't make him an adequate or even decent player. I completely agree.

KCTitus
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
LOL! I want to thank everyone involved in the Trotter v. Mitchell breakdown. For some of you newer folks, I was parodying a post made by one of the original geniouses (chiefsplanet spelling) who stated at the time KC signed Holmes that Priest was no better than Donnell Bennett.

It's truly an honor that this took on a life of it's own.

ceebz
03-02-2005, 03:11 PM
What???? The Eagles front seven make the Eagles D Backfield look like Superstars. Other than Dawkins, the Eagles secondary is average. Look at what Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor did on other teams this season...Nothing.

I completely disagree. You ever think the Eagles let Taylor and Vincent go because they knew their skills had deteriorated?

This team need 2 new OLB's, bad. Not some MLB who's a one trick pony.

Lzen
03-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Aside from kickers, punters, and Pete Gammon, ST players need to be more than just ST players.

Peter Gammons, the ESPN baseball analyst plays STs for the Chiefs?

Lzen
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I completely disagree. You ever think the Eagles let Taylor and Vincent go because they knew their skills had deteriorated?

How bad did their defense drop off after those 2 guys left?
:hmmm:

BigChiefFan
03-02-2005, 03:16 PM

Trotter is a run-stuffing MLBer, who is coming off a recent SB visit. He has instant crediabilty among the others. He's also a vocal guy who leads by example. We are sorely lacking a leader on defense and to get a leader at the QB position of the D is a damn good move that I can't find fault in. Trotter is a run-stuffing beast and will help shore up one of our biggest weaknesses. I commend the FO if this happens, you should, too, because it's Hell of alot better than worrying if Maz will make it back or if Mitchell's POTENTIAL will come to fruition.

nascher
03-02-2005, 03:17 PM
lol trr vincent was in Buffalo this Season and Taylor in Seattle !!!

mcan
How bad did their defense drop off after those 2 guys left?
:hmmm:

I also think it's interesting to note that they made it to the SuperBowl, and had a probowl corner playing NICKLE BACK... I think they're pretty high on their younger guys. The Eagles secondary is pretty rad.

Thig Lyfe
Wasn't Hugh Douglas "as good as signed" last year?

no... that was two years ago

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah... it was Troy Vincent last year, Phoneyfreakqualizer_FanKringle. Keep up.

ZootedGranny
03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Mortenson had another update just now on ESPN News. He basically said again the Chiefs are very close to signing Trotter, and supposedly Ty Law will be coming into KC tonight.