PDA

View Full Version : OT - Be Cool IS Cool

Fire Me Boy!
03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I caught a screening of Be Cool last night for the job... very enjoyable flick.

For a quick rundown, Be Cool is the follow up to 1995's Get Shorty. Starring John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel, Vince Vaughn, The Rock, and Cedric the Entertainer, Be Cool picks up with Chili Palmer (Travolta) tiring of the movie biz. Now, he's wanting to get into music. He gets his shot when a buddy (the founder of an indie label) is killed by the Russian mafia.

Anyway, Travolta plays the same character as in Get Shorty.... Keitel plays a rival producer and Vaughn plays Keitel's partner... The Rock is his gay, actor bodyguard and absolutely steals his scenes. I literally was in tears by the end of the movie laughing so hard.

It's enjoyable, and isn't that what going to the movies is about? Being entertained?

Sure-Oz
03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Do you really need to see Get Shorty first or not? I have yet to see it but a friend wants to go see Be Cool this wekeend.

Fire Me Boy!
03-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Not really, but it will help. If you haven't seen Get Shorty, see it... I watched it again on Saturday and had forgotten how funny it was. It's a great movie and well-worth watching. But no, there aren't very many jokes aimed specifically at stuff from the first movie... some of the stuff will be funnier if you've seen Get Shorty. And some of it (although, not much) won't be funny at all if you haven't seen Get Shorty...

Also, here's the poster.

kc rush
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm excited to see this. I loved Get Shorty and am a big fan of Elmore Leonard stories. I read the book a couple of years ago.

Sure-Oz
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah i may see get shorty hopefully before that, i know it just came out on dvd last week.

jspchief
03-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Get Shorty is a pretty under-rated movie. I loved it.

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 02:30 PM
The Rock is his gay, actor bodyguard

Nice.

Is he still credited as The Rock? I don't know why he doesn't start using his real name.

Fire Me Boy!
03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
I think he's credited as The Rock...

I'll check... hang on.

Yes. http://imdb.com/title/tt0377471/

Frazod
03-02-2005, 11:26 PM
No Renee Russo this time around, eh? Oh well.

Get Shorty rocked. I look forward to seeing this. :thumb:

Count Zarth
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
I think The Rock is a really underrated actor. He's great at action but I think he's pretty funny, too.

Frazod
03-02-2005, 11:29 PM
I think The Rock is a really underrated actor. He's great at action but I think he's pretty funny, too.

I enjoyed The Rundown. He did just fine in that.

KCWolfman
03-03-2005, 06:50 AM
I loved Jackie Brown, but honestly, usually Leonard doesn't do it for me.

His books already seem like films - stripped down characters and tiny chapters without much depth, but tons of twists. For Elmore, it isn't the story that is paramount, but the twists and kickers.

Which means they translate to films well as that is exactly what the movies give us. I will rent it, but as I wasn't a fan of Get Shorty, I don't think I will pay full price in theaters.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 06:58 AM
I read the book after I saw “Get Shorty.” The movie was better. As KCWolfman pointed out, the characters were pretty cardboard. If you are not going for depth in a book, you might as well go with the flash on the screen.

Be Cool was actually not as good a book as Get Shorty, IMO.

Still, I enjoyed “Get Shorty,” and will no doubt hit a matinee for “Be Cool.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Kinda excited.

KCWolfman
03-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I read the book after I saw “Get Shorty.” The movie was better. As KCWolfman pointed out, the characters were pretty cardboard. If you are not going for depth in a book, you might as well go with the flash on the screen.

Be Cool was actually not as good a book as Get Shorty, IMO.

Still, I enjoyed “Get Shorty,” and will no doubt hit a matinee for “Be Cool.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Kinda excited.

Something about Pam Grier and Robert Forster really worked for me in Jackie Brown. Also relegating DeNiro and Bridget Fonda to minor roles was a little odd, but actually added quite a bit of flavor to the film overall.

Jackie Brown is my fave translation to screen from Leonard by far.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Pam Grier works for me.

Period.

xoxo~
Gaz
Dirty old man.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 07:04 AM
I hate this time of year, it's like a parade of mediocre films. Bring on May and June, please, for the popcorn extravaganzas.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 07:07 AM
I hate this time of year, it's like a parade of mediocre films. Bring on May and June, please, for the popcorn extravaganzas.

This is NetFlix season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Checking out Season 5 of “Angel” this week.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Checking out Season 5 of “Angel” this week.This is like double-torture time, since all the good TV shows are in reruns for the next month. Thank god Deadwood and The Shield start soon, or I'd actually have to figure out how to entertain myself.

I have the last 8 eps of Angel season 5 on VHS, some of the best TV there is. Was.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Tivo, NetFlix & Dillon’s “Dollar Mondays” get me through.

xoxo~
Gaz
Coping as best he can.