PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on Smoot...

KC Kings
03-02-2005, 03:51 PM
From Don Banks, The 10 players to be wary of on the free-agent market

Nothing that we didn't know, but it is interesting and it seems that there are a lot of people high on Smoot on here.

Fred Smoot, cornerback -- Maybe everyone else sees something I'm missing, but when I hear Smoot already has turned down a $10 million signing bonus from Washington (and wants $14 million), it's a head-scratcher. Smoot plays hard and competes, but watching him gives me the same feeling I got watching Champ Bailey: He's hardly a shutdown corner, and the reputation seems to have outgrown the reality. I'd rather sign Law, Rolle or Baltimore's Gary Baxter as my free-agent cornerback.

Kendrell Bell, linebacker -- Injuries have virtually cost Bell the past two seasons and make him a very risky proposition in free agency. The onetime defensive rookie of the year has special playmaking skills when he's healthy, but this is a what-have-done-for-me-lately kind of league. Bell has nine sacks in the past three years combined, after recording that many in his rookie season alone. His flexibility in being able to play an inside linebacker spot in a 3-4 defense and outside in a 4-3 will help his marketability.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/03/02/free.agency.wary/index.html?cnn=yes

HolmeZz
03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't like Smoot because he couldn't tackle Ty Law in his wheelchair.

Freekofnature
03-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Nothing that we didn't know, but it is interesting and it seems that there are a lot of people high on Smoot on here.

Fred Smoot, cornerback -- Maybe everyone else sees something I'm missing, but when I hear Smoot already has turned down a $10 million signing bonus from Washington (and wants $14 million), it's a head-scratcher. Smoot plays hard and competes, but watching him gives me the same feeling I got watching Champ Bailey: He's hardly a shutdown corner, and the reputation seems to have outgrown the reality. I'd rather sign Law, Rolle or Baltimore's Gary Baxter as my free-agent cornerback.

Kendrell Bell, linebacker -- Injuries have virtually cost Bell the past two seasons and make him a very risky proposition in free agency. The onetime defensive rookie of the year has special playmaking skills when he's healthy, but this is a what-have-done-for-me-lately kind of league. Bell has nine sacks in the past three years combined, after recording that many in his rookie season alone. His flexibility in being able to play an inside linebacker spot in a 3-4 defense and outside in a 4-3 will help his marketability.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/03/02/free.agency.wary/index.html?cnn=yes
wtf is he talking about?

Yea he isnt a shutdown corner.....Sanders probably was the only true one.

Smoot didnt give up one TD pass this year and got burnt for 3 or 4 just maybe.

Cochise
03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Smoot didnt give up one TD pass this year and got burnt for 3 or 4 just maybe.

:hmmm:

Bob Dole
03-02-2005, 04:51 PM

Fred Smoot, cornerback ...the reputation seems to have outgrown the reality.

Banks is just parroting Bob Dole.

As usual.

milkman
03-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Nothing against Don Banks, but in todays NFL there simply isn't such a thing as a shutdown corner.

And, Freek, there have been plenty of shutdown corners in the past, and amazingly, some of them actually weren't afraid to tackle, unlike Sanders.

Rod Woodson comes to mind almost immediately.

Freekofnature
03-02-2005, 04:58 PM
:hmmm:
3 or 4 four long plays.

His style is not flashy really. It almost looks unimpressive.

But his so called shortness is an extremely consistent player.

He and Shawn Springs were the one driving that D like how the eagles rely on great CBs for defense.

Freekofnature
03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Nothing against Don Banks, but in todays NFL there simply isn't such a thing as a shutdown corner.

And, Freek, there have been plenty of shutdown corners in the past, and amazingly, some of them actually weren't afraid to tackle, unlike Sanders.

Rod Woodson comes to mind almost immediately.
Terms of pure cover skills no one is the same with Sanders.

Woodson is the more well rounded player.

milkman
03-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Terms of pure cover skills no one is the same with Sanders.

Woodson is the more well rounded player.

I'd much rather have the more rounded player.

I never got why more people didn't run slants against Sanders, he could be beaten all day long because he was afraid of the contact over the middle.

keg in kc
03-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Sanders was smart enough to diagnose plays and jump routes, slants wouldn't have done it. I think he's a big-mouth assclown, but as far as cover skills go, he's as good as there ever was.

Oh, and Smoot sucks.

Freekofnature
03-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Smoot is loved to death by the REdskins fan because not only is he a great cover corner(probably the best last season along with springs), but he is a leader and hardworker. Well liked too.

Smoot isnt the greatest tackler, but he isnt anything like Sanders. He will try to come up and hit.

Surtain and Law benefitted from alot of help around them but Smoot really didnt.