PDA

View Full Version : GazReview: “Constantine”

Gaz
03-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Let us get the bad stuff out of the way, shall we?

Fans of the comic book should NOT expect the John Constantine you know and love/hate. If you hated “I, Robot” because it only vaguely resembled the book, then do not waste your money on “Constantine.”

Keanu Reeves does not have the depth nor the face to carry off the bitter, broken-down Constantine. Fortunately, the script does not call for him to do much acting, and he is surrounded by actors who are well-suited to their roles, so Reeves is adequate.

However, I must say that I enjoyed “Constantine.” It was WAY over the top [shotgun crosses, fallen priests, demonic bugs and a visit from Satan himself], but it kept my interest and provided some genuinely creepy moments. Sure, there is too much exposition, but we have to know the rules of the balance between Heaven and Hell before we understand that those rules are being broken.

The film is dark, dark, dark-dark-dark. Blacks, grays, blues. Even the blood [and there is surprisingly little of it in this movie] is dark. Many scenes are very grainy, almost over-exposed. There are a few attempts at humor, but they are so few and far between that they are more incongruous than mood-lightening. Dark, I said.

The special effects are very good. CGI is better than average [I am not a huge fan of massive CGI doses]. The Director uses lots of odd angles that keep you off balance. And he never misses an opportunity to give us a view down Rachel Weisz’s blouse. Now, I do not mind looking down Rachel Weisz’s blouse, but after a while I found it more blatantly manipulative than titillating. YMMV.

All in all, I liked it. Despite the grim approach [did I mention it is a dark film?] and despite the choice of Reeves as the lead. Given the rules [the eternal Balance between Heaven and Hell, half-breed angels/demons, so forth], the film is internally consistent. It makes up some whacky rules, but then it follows them to the letter. The motives of the villain [okay, the one slightly more villainish than the other villains] are interesting and [again] logical within the framework of the film. And Constantine’s last, desperate gambit is made of the same cloth.

However, “Constantine” suffers on the Gaz Hoot scale because there is precious little FUN to be had. It held my interest, spooked me a couple of times, gave me some eye candy [special effects AND Ms Weisz’s cleavage] and wrapped everything up in a tidy little package that did not elicit a WTF. But it is not all that much fun. Give it 2 Hoots, but think about giving it a shot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprised at this one.

Pezman
03-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Well, being a hater of I Robot... I guess I will skip this one based on the Gaz-inator... But the Cleavage prospects are worth a rental on DVD in the near future...

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Good review, Gaz. I pretty much concur. It wasn't enough to blow me away, but it did keep me interested throughout. Canoe Reeves does what Canoe does best - act stoic. Rachel Weisz is hothothot.

Interesting premise on the concept of heaven and hell.

In the end, I liked it. Didn't love it, but I liked it.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 07:48 AM
“Gazarus?”

xoxo~
Gaz
Another victim.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 07:50 AM
My favorite line from the movie:

“That’s pain. Get used to it.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Used to it.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
I enjoyed it. Not a great film, but it was entertaining. There's potential there for a franchise.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
My favorite line from the movie:

“That’s pain. Get used to it.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Used to it.

The look on Gabe's face was as good as the line! The ultimate "WTF" expression. Heh.

Swanman
03-03-2005, 08:41 AM
I was a fan of the brass knucks with the crosses on each knuckle. Overall I was pretty entertained by the movie so I'd give it a thumbs up. If you're just looking to be entertained and not looking to be wowed by the acting, then I'd recommend Constantine.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 08:45 AM
SPOILER ALERT:

I thought Gabriel’s motive was quite poignant.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinking about it the next day, which is a rare thing for a cheesy action movie

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I was really nervous about this movie, since I know two of the guys who used to write Hellblazer. I wasn't a huge fan of the series though, (bought it to help support my friends, dropped it after they quit writing it).

I wasn't in a huge hurry to go see it, but it sounds like a movie that might be a nice two hours of mindfluff.

I trust two hoots on the Gaz-meter more than I do most any other reviewer out there. :thumb:

Gaz
03-03-2005, 09:24 AM
...I trust two hoots on the Gaz-meter more than I do most any other reviewer out there...

Thank you, sir.

xoxo~
Gaz
Touched.

Nightfyre
03-03-2005, 10:18 AM
I liked it for the cool ideas. I was pretty "meh"ed out by the predictability tho.

Phobia
03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
“Gazarus?”

xoxo~
Gaz
Another victim.

It was Laz's birthday wish. I had no choice.

Let me know when you tire of it.

Ebolapox
03-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I really enjoyed it... I walked in not expecting much, and got surprised by a decent to better than decent movie

-EB-

Gaz
03-03-2005, 12:14 PM
BTW, I saw a preview for “Sin City.” It looks just like the comic. It combines the stories of Marv [Sin City], Hartigan [That Yellow Bastard] and Dwight [The Big Fat Kill]. That’s one I am hot to see.

xoxo~
Gaz
Just another Frank Miller Geekboy.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM

Shows how alert I am.

How long have I been this way?

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks he got off lightly.

Rausch
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM

Wait, do I get to change a person's username on my B-day? :)

Gaz
03-03-2005, 12:25 PM

Sure.

You can change mine back to Gaz.

Thanks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Solved that problem.

Rausch
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
BTW, I saw a preview for “Sin City.” It looks just like the comic. It combines the stories of Marv [Sin City], Hartigan [That Yellow Bastard] and Dwight [The Big Fat Kill]. That’s one I am hot to see.

xoxo~
Gaz
Just another Frank Miller Geekboy.

I thought Sin City looked good.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

I'm also getting excited about The Jacket:

http://wip.warnerbros.com/thejacket/

Rausch
03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Sure.

You can change mine back to Gaz.

Thanks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Solved that problem.

Actually, I was thinking of changing meme's to "Momma' Osama."

Phobia
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Shows how alert I am.

How long have I been this way?

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks he got off lightly.

IIRC, his b-day was Tuesday.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Let us get the bad stuff out of the way, shall we?

Fans of the comic book should NOT expect the John Constantine you know and love/hate. If you hated “I, Robot” because it only vaguely resembled the book, then do not waste your money on “Constantine.”

Keanu Reeves does not have the depth nor the face to carry off the bitter, broken-down Constantine. Fortunately, the script does not call for him to do much acting, and he is surrounded by actors who are well-suited to their roles, so Reeves is adequate.

However, I must say that I enjoyed “Constantine.” It was WAY over the top [shotgun crosses, fallen priests, demonic bugs and a visit from Satan himself], but it kept my interest and provided some genuinely creepy moments. Sure, there is too much exposition, but we have to know the rules of the balance between Heaven and Hell before we understand that those rules are being broken.

The film is dark, dark, dark-dark-dark. Blacks, grays, blues. Even the blood [and there is surprisingly little of it in this movie] is dark. Many scenes are very grainy, almost over-exposed. There are a few attempts at humor, but they are so few and far between that they are more incongruous than mood-lightening. Dark, I said.

The special effects are very good. CGI is better than average [I am not a huge fan of massive CGI doses]. The Director uses lots of odd angles that keep you off balance. And he never misses an opportunity to give us a view down Rachel Weisz’s blouse. Now, I do not mind looking down Rachel Weisz’s blouse, but after a while I found it more blatantly manipulative than titillating. YMMV.

All in all, I liked it. Despite the grim approach [did I mention it is a dark film?] and despite the choice of Reeves as the lead. Given the rules [the eternal Balance between Heaven and Hell, half-breed angels/demons, so forth], the film is internally consistent. It makes up some whacky rules, but then it follows them to the letter. The motives of the villain [okay, the one slightly more villainish than the other villains] are interesting and [again] logical within the framework of the film. And Constantine’s last, desperate gambit is made of the same cloth.

However, “Constantine” suffers on the Gaz Hoot scale because there is precious little FUN to be had. It held my interest, spooked me a couple of times, gave me some eye candy [special effects AND Ms Weisz’s cleavage] and wrapped everything up in a tidy little package that did not elicit a WTF. But it is not all that much fun. Give it 2 Hoots, but think about giving it a shot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprised at this one.

Wow. A simple "it was pretty good" would've been fine.

You have a lot of time on your hands. ROFL

Phobia
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM

As long as you're doing it a good natured manner or to a troll who doesn't matter - sure.

Gaz
03-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Wow. A simple "it was pretty good" would've been fine.

You have a lot of time on your hands. ROFL

You have not read a lot of my posts, have you?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not renowned for brevity.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 12:38 PM
You have not read a lot of my posts, have you?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not renowned for brevity.

No, not around like I used to be. When the Chiefs sign someone I'll go back under my rug. :)