PDA

View Full Version : snippet about Trotter in philly paper

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 02:42 PM
nothing really new... but at least a link

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11035708.htm

Douglas, Buckhalter staying with Birds

The defensive end and running back agreed to new deals. Trotter, though, may end up elsewhere.

By Bob Brookover
Inquirer Staff Writer

The Eagles reached contract agreements yesterday with their running back who has two surgically repaired knees and their veteran defensive end who recently underwent shoulder surgery.

Meanwhile, linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and his two surgically repaired knees spent the evening in Kansas City, where he was being courted by coach Dick Vermeil's defensively challenged Chiefs

Trotter spent last night in Kansas City, and a report on ESPN said he was primed to accept an offer of a long-term deal from the Chiefs..

Meanwhile running back Correll Buckhalter, after missing last season with a torn tendon in his right knee, decided to rejoin the Eagles by signing a two-year deal that includes incentives for the second season based on what he does in 2005.

Defensive end Hugh Douglas, meanwhile, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Eagles that will be finalized in the next day or so.

"Hugh definitely wanted to come back," his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said from his Miami Beach office. "He's very excited, because now he knows he won't ever play for another team besides the Eagles again."

Douglas, 33, returned to the Eagles from Jacksonville in 2004 and spent most of the season as a reserve behind Derrick Burgess, who also hit the free-agent market yesterday. The popular veteran defensive end registered three sacks, but by the time the team reached the postseason, he had a severe injury to his right shoulder that required surgery. Douglas, if he fully recovers from the surgery, could end up competing with N.D. Kalu in training camp for a starting job at right defensive end.

Like Douglas, Trotter returned to the Eagles last season after leaving for a bigger contract with another team. Unlike Douglas, Trotter appears ready to repeat that process.

The Chiefs are interested in Trotter and also planned to meet with Baltimore's Edgerton Hartwell, who also is considered one of the best inside linebackers on the free-agent market.

There was a report yesterday that Trotter has planned visits to Seattle and Atlanta. The Eagles have an offer on the table to Trotter, but it obviously was not satisfactory to the linebacker or his agent, Jimmy Sexton.

Eagles president Joe Banner said he spoke briefly with Sexton yesterday, but it was not to discuss a deal. It is believed that Trotter will continue his visit with the Chiefs today. Kansas City is in the market for a middle linebacker but really needs more help on pass defense, which isn't Trotter's strength.

Kansas City allowed the most passing yards in the league last season and finished next to last in total yards allowed. The Chiefs' run defense was a respectable 12th in the league, but the team still allowed the fourth-most points and finished 7-9.

The 26-year-old Buckhalter said he was happy to return to the team that drafted him in 2001 and has seen him through two rehabilitations after operations on each knee.

"I'm happy to get this deal done with the Eagles and know that I am back to be part of a great franchise," Buckhalter said in a statement. "It was important to get this done early so that I can continue to work out and rehabilitate."

That's probably the most important aspect of the quick deal for Buckhalter, who has missed two of the last three seasons because of injuries to each knee. Had Buckhalter remained a free agent for an extended period, he no longer would have had access to the team's NovaCare Complex or the Eagles' team of trainers.

"I look forward to getting back on the field and helping my teammates," Buckhalter said. "I'll have my body prepared to do whatever they ask me to do."

Buckhalter's return from his last knee injury was successful. After missing the 2002 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, he returned in 2003 and rushed for 542 yards while scoring nine touchdowns. Only Brian Westbrook had more.

Buckhalter's return likely will keep the Eagles from pursuing a free-agent running back such as the New York Jets' LaMont Jordan, but it probably won't keep them from drafting a running back next month.

Fletcher Smith, Buckhalter's agent, said he believes that his client will be ready for the team's first minicamp in early May.

BigChiefFan
03-03-2005, 02:49 PM
That would explain why Mort jumped the gun. We've had these guys for two days, we really are putting on the show and wining and dining these guys.

Warrior5
03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
"Trotter spent last night in Kansas City, and a report on ESPN said he was primed to accept an offer of a long-term deal from the Chiefs..."

I've seen in numerous other posts that Trotter planned visits to Seattle and Atlanta, and other Planeteers are ready to jump off bridges.

beer bacon
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
"Trotter spent last night in Kansas City, and a report on ESPN said he was primed to accept an offer of a long-term deal from the Chiefs..."

I've seen in numerous other posts that Trotter planned visits to Seattle and Atlanta, and other Planeteers are ready to jump off bridges.

I just heard second hand that 610 AM is reporting that all three are still in KC and are still in active talks with DV, Gunther, and the FO.

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Kansas City allowed the most passing yards in the league last season and finished next to last in total yards allowed. The Chiefs' run defense was a respectable 12th in the league, but the team still allowed the fourth-most points and finished 7-9.

Our run defense was not respectable. We allowed guys whose career longs were less than 20 yards run for 75 yards at a time.

We were 12th in yards, but 4th in fewest attempts, 28th in yards per carry, and 26th in TD's allowed.

KC Dan
03-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I just heard second hand that 610 AM is reporting that all three are still in KC and are still in active talks with DV, Gunther, and the FO.
Here are my suggestions to DV and the FO:
Simply say to the three: "Gentlemen, what is your anticipated salary offer from the Kansas City Chiefs?" They answer "$XX,XXX,XXX".
Response, "Gentlemen, we have a deal, the paperwork is on the way".

Problems solved.

BigChiefFan
03-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I heard it first hand. Kevin Rogers said they are playing the waiting game, but all 3 FAs are still at Arrowhead. Sounds like they may be in heavy negotiations. I'm not giving up. Thum's interview yesterday sounded like they had done their homework and they know what players they want.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I heard it first hand. Kevin Rogers said they are playing the waiting game, but all 3 FAs are still at Arrowhead. Sounds like they may be in heavy negotiations. I'm not giving up. Thum's interview yesterday sounded like they had done their homework and they know what players they want.

Trotter,Hartwell AND Rolle :eek: that would be an incredible day!!!

if that happens i will PERSONALLY send DenverChief down to suck Peterson's dick in appreciation.

;)

Coach
03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
WTMI Laz.