PDA

View Full Version : I need some Grbac Info.....

Stuckinbama
12-05-2000, 09:12 PM
What STUPID thing did Elvis do in a preseason game this year? I can't seem to remember. Didn't he spike the ball on 4th down or something on a game winning drive. I can't remember exactly what it was but I remember ripping into him for it. Does anyone else remember - I have a bet going with a fellow fan that SWEARS that I'm making it up. I KNOW I'm not - no $$$ involved, just personal honar at stake so it MATTERS! Thanks!

Moon§hiner
12-05-2000, 09:15 PM
Yes, he spiked the ball on 4th down.

Clint in Wichita
12-05-2000, 09:16 PM
He spiked it on a 3rd down play to bring up 4th down. I think the problem was that there was either too much time to be spiking it, or that they had another timeout, or something that had to do with the clock and him not having to spike it...

milkman
12-05-2000, 09:16 PM
TX - He spiked it on a third down towards the end of the 1st half expecting to go for on fourth down, but the coaches went for the FG.

redbrian
12-05-2000, 09:17 PM
You're correct.

I don't remember if it was 4th down or not, but he did spike the ball at an inopportune time during the preseason and took a lot of heat for it.

I can't remember all the details. Hopefully someone can.

You can tell your friend that this isn't the first time Grbac threw the ball underneath only to let time expire either. He did the exact same thing last year in a loss to San Diego.

milkman
12-05-2000, 09:19 PM
The part that upset people was the fact that they should have went for a play instead of spiking the ball.

redbrian
I guess Grbac is one of those guys that needs to do something wrong a few times before he learns from his mistake.

Moon§hiner
Sorry, my bad. It was third down. From the Topeka Capitol-Journal:

Grbac had a nice two-minute drive going as he moved Kansas City from its own 39 with 1:30 left and no timeouts remaining to a first down at the Jags 18 before spiking the ball to kill the clock with one minute left.

Grbac then hit Larry Parker for only two yards, but with the clock under 45 seconds, Grbac inexplicably spiked the ball again on third down, killing the clock at 0:44. As the boos rained down from the stands and Grbac vented at Cunningham, Stoyanovich converted from 38 yards to cut Jacksonville's lead to 7-6 with 38 seconds left.

"The coaching staff and I weren't on the same page," explained Grbac, noting that he spiked the ball on third down believing he'd get another chance on fourth.

"My mentality was to play all four downs. I wanted the touchdown, I didn't want three points. If I complete a (throw) inbounds on third down, I don't know if I can get off (a fourth-down play) in time.<P>

milkman
12-05-2000, 09:21 PM
I win!

Of course Brock brings in proof...

Stuckinbama
12-06-2000, 08:48 AM
Thanks all - that should do it!!!