PDA

View Full Version : I will NEVER again complain about KC sports radio...

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 07:38 PM
In fact, I won't ever complain about Des Moines sports radio again.

Flipping through the AM dial tonight, I ran into this on 1100 AM out of Cleveland...

3:00pm - 6:00pm MIKE TRIVISONNO “Mr. Know-it-all”
Mike Trivisonno is radio redefined. He talks about sports and much more. Whether he’s tackling an issue with tongue in cheek humor or being serious…you never know what Mike might say. He’s joined by co-host Kim Mihalik, Sports Director Mike Snyder, the ‘Big Daddy’ Marty Allen and sidekick Paul Rado. The show includes news at the top and bottom of the hour and Skychief traffic reports every ten minutes on the tens. The Trivisonno Show is the most entertaining and informative show in Cleveland Radio.

You HAVE to hear this...http://www.wtam.com/listen_live.html

This is not Cheyenne. It's not Paducah, KY. It's CLEVELAND. I couldn't believe it.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm scared to click the link.

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Click it. You seriously have to hear it.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I didn't think it was that bad, really. I just don't give a shit about cleveland or its sports.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Does everybody in Cleveland sound like this clam?

Bowser
03-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Oh goody!! They are talking about Michael Jordan!! YAAY!

Thanks for the earache, htis. Time to flush this turd off of my computer.......

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I didn't think it was that bad, really. I just don't give a shit about cleveland or its sports.

You should have heard him earlier.

He was talking about the signing of Joe Andruzzi. Somebody called in and asked if they should draft Derrick Johnson with their first round pick.

He says "I've never been a draft guy" and starts going on about how they should look at drafting MAURICE CLARETT.

Then some guy called from Chicago and said David Terrell was a cancer. And this Mike guy basically said "yeah, well you're an idiot" and hung up on him.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I caught mostly their updates, didn't listen to much of the show, really. Was...boring.

gblowfish
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Cleveland Rocks
Cleveland Rocks
Cleveland Rocks
Cleveland Rocks!!

The Mistake By the Lake...The place where their river once caught on fire...home of Drew Carey...

Actually I've been to Cleveland a couple times. It's got downtown KC beat all to hell, but what major city doesn't?

Cleveland's Got:
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
Brand New downtown Football Stadium
Brand New downtown Baseball Stadium
Almost Brand New downtown Basketball Arena
Hard Rock Cafe

Great nightlife club scene on the Lakefront, I believe the area is called
"The Flats." Drink beer by the lake in the summer and watch the big boats roll by on Lake Erie...

And you can go to the Goodyear Mansion in Akron (the guy who founded Goodyear Tires) unbelievable Stately Wayne Manor style house...

Kent State University in Kent (home of Kent State Riots and DEVO)

Akron, Ohio is the birthplace of the Soap Box Derby....

Best of all, the Football Hall of Fame is only about 45 minutes away in Canton, OH. Truly hallowed ground!

Only Down Side: Cleveland ain't got jack for BBQ. No signature food in Cleveland. And it's COLD AS HELL in the wintertime. Definitely a summer or fall destination!

DanT
03-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Here's Joe Posnanski's 13December2004 column on Pete Franklin, the sports-talk radio pioneer from Cleveland.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/joe_posnanski/10402481.htm
No kidding, Franklin set radio standard

JOE POSNANSKI

Pete Franklin despised kids. Couldn't stand them. That was a big part of his radio act. Kids would call his sports talk show in Cleveland in its heyday — the '70s and '80s — and Franklin would scream angrily: “Junior, why aren't you studying? Why are you bothering me? Go do some homework. Go to bed. You don't know anything about anything; why don't you learn something before you waste my time.”

And that's why, one night, Robert and I decided to call the show.

We were kids then, 14 years old maybe, and we didn't realize that Pete Franklin was changing the landscape of sports. We didn't realize that, before Pete Franklin, voices on the radio tended to be nice and pleasant. Even in Pete's time, radio shows were mostly like “Hello Henry,” a nightly talk show in Charlotte which usually involved Henry — a sweet man – thanking people for sending him homemade pies.

Pete Franklin, on the other hand, spent most of his shows calling people morons.

“I think the Indians should trade for Mike Schmidt,” a caller might say.

“Really?” Pete would respond. “Mike Schmidt, eh? Let me ask you something? Do the guards there at Bellevue allow you to have any sharp objects? Heh? Hey, moron, what could the Indians trade to get Mike Schmidt?”

“Well, you know, maybe they package Rick Manning and …”

“Listen, I don't want to talk to you. I want to talk to the person who dialed the phone for you since you're obviously in a straitjacket. Mike Schmidt? What kind of lunatic are you? Mike Schmidt? How many phone calls do they allow you to make at the asylum? One a week? Maybe you should have called someone in your family. Mike Schmidt?”

There was nothing like Pete then. Now, of course, talk radio means hearing Rush Limbaugh savaging liberals or Jim Rome telling listeners that a good talk show means, “More of me, less of you,” or a local talk-show host tearing apart someone or other. But back then, Pete was unique; he was angry and egotistical and funny and mean and he ripped everybody — owners, players, coaches, sportswriters and, mostly, callers.

Especially kids.

“Kids are not allowed to call this show,” he would say. “Just because schools in this country are crapola, doesn't mean I'm going to waste my valuable time teaching snot-nosed kids. This show is for adults only.”

Pete loved the world “crapola.”

His show inspired all sorts of emotions. Many thought he was crass and cruel. Former Cavaliers owner Ted Stepien sued him for defamation of character. A sportswriter famously cursed him out in a press box. People would often go by his radio booth at Richfield Coliseum after a Cleveland Cavaliers game and make obscene gestures through the glass (“Why don't you go home to your trailer and kick your dog,” Pete would say to the man while still on the radio. “And I'll go to my giant home paid for by my enormous salary”).

On the other hand, many people found Pete hilarious and passionate. My friend Robert and I did. He was one of the first people on radio to touch the sports fans' anger and fever and mania. His ratings were huge, and in Cleveland he was bigger than life. He tore into George Steinbrenner, Frank Robinson, players who did not give their all, the Cleveland Browns defense, dumb fans. He was the loudest angry voice in a city that, at the time, was a national laughingstock, a Cleveland where the river had caught fire and the snow was brown and the city had gone bankrupt.

Robert and I didn't think about any of that, then. No, we were just a couple of kids, we listened to his show every night, and we wanted to call just to see how long we could last. It was like radio rodeo; we wanted to see whether we could stay on for eight seconds. After I lost a game of odds-evens, I had to make the call.

Pete: “All right, what do you have to say?”

Me (in deepest voice possible): “Uh, well, uh.”

Pete: “Uh huh.”

Me: “I think the Browns should try to …”

Pete (hanging up): “No kids on this show. Go to bed, young man. Next call.”

That was it. I always thought there was almost a bit of kindness in Pete's voice. In time, Pete's popularity died out. He moved to New York, and that didn't work out at all. He then moved out to California and tried to do some radio, but he never could regain his audience. It was over. Some said it was because his act got stale, but I always thought it was something else.

By the end, everybody was doing Pete Franklin's act.

Everybody's doing it now.

On Nov. 23, two days before Thanksgiving, Pete Franklin died. Cancer. He was 77. The obituaries, though, ran late this week. The news of his death had taken more than two weeks to reach Cleveland. People do forget fast. Go to bed, young man. Next call.

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2005, 05:32 AM
Cleveland's Got:
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
Brand New downtown Football Stadium
Brand New downtown Baseball Stadium
Almost Brand New downtown Basketball Arena
Hard Rock CafeWoooooow, a Hard Rock Cafe.

I think they have one of those in Paducah and Cheyenne, too.

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame would be better suited in about 10 other cities before Cleveland even sniffed it.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 08:15 AM
I listened to some more of it. He hung up twice on one of his guests. He was constantly getting dialtone instead of callers. It sounded seriously like amateur night at the college radio station. I'm still stunned.

Skip Towne
03-04-2005, 08:15 AM
All professional athletes fear the phrase "You've been traded to Cleveland".

gblowfish
03-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Woooooow, a Hard Rock Cafe.

I think they have one of those in Paducah and Cheyenne, too..
Paducah ROCKS!!!
Cheyenne ROCKS!!!!

You guys can diss Cleveland, but I'm tellin' ya, their downtown is what KC only dreams of being. At least they got off their collective asses and improved their city. Here, we just fight and argue about Bi-State and nothing ever gets done.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Paducah ROCKS!!!
Cheyenne ROCKS!!!!

You guys can diss Cleveland, but I'm tellin' ya, their downtown is what KC only dreams of being. At least they got off their collective asses and improved their city. Here, we just fight and argue about Bi-State and nothing ever gets done.

I'm not dissing Cleveland.

I'm dissing their sports radio. They're a major US market. You'd think they could afford someone who didn't sound like my neighbor, broadcasting from his basement.

kc rush
03-04-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't know. Anyone has to be better than Neil Jones. I was about to put my fist through the radio yesterday because the guy has nothing and knows nothing. He has asked every caller for the past two days "Are the Chiefs teasing us, or are they for real this time?" Come up with a different question sparky, or give us an opinion or even some news, anything but "Are they Chiefs teasing us?"

Some guy called yesterday and asked Neil about a couple of draft possibilities, he responded by saying that he didn't follow the draft but had heard of the players so they were probably pretty good, then asked the caller "Are the Chiefs teasing us, or are they for real this time?"

I yelled at the radio and turned to KK talking about MU basketball (of which I have no interest), but anything was better than what I had been listening to. It really makes you appreciate guys like Petro who put in a lot of time researching sports and will look things up if he doesn't know the answer.

redhed
03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
After what you did to JW, you oughta be ashamed of yerself, hti. ;)

hti complains, people quit their jobs. What power!

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Paducah ROCKS!!!
Cheyenne ROCKS!!!!

You guys can diss Cleveland, but I'm tellin' ya, their downtown is what KC only dreams of being. At least they got off their collective asses and improved their city. Here, we just fight and argue about Bi-State and nothing ever gets done.I don't live in KC.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Only Down Side: Cleveland ain't got jack for BBQ. I've lived in NE Ohio for 7 years now. I live just outside of Akron. NOBODY around here has a clue what GOOD BBQ really is. Its sad, really...