PDA

View Full Version : What a night!

Over-Head
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
After work today I went down town to see a bunch of friends.
These weren’t just ordinary friends mind you, but rather buddies of mine from back “on the mainland” (any place in Canada that’s NOT completely surrounded by water like us “Newfies”)

These guy’s are from 3 different bands I used top play with back in Nova Scotia years ago, who are doing a small “maritime tour” and happened to be in St. John’s and didn’t have a clue where I was 20 years later, but through someone else I learned about their club tour.

It’s funny that they should turn “Hot Country” but that seems to be the big fashion in the club scene right now.
Anyway, they finish their first set and when they came back to the table there I am sitting large as life.

A few drinks, a few stories etc, they pull off a great second set.
I jammed with all of them as a drummer back in 82’, 83’, then a weird twist saw me become a lead player around the same time as I had always played rhythm on the side anyway.

Their lead guitar player and I were in a Metal cover band back in 83-84’
The bass player and I were together in a Motly’ Crue tribute in 85’
The singer played with me and their drummer in another metal band in 86 type of deal
And we all went to school together.
Anyway they find out I made the switch back to drums again after 25 years, and was playing a bit now and then. Still loving the music just like the old days.

So for the 3rd set (their doing 5 sets in a split show)they call me up on the stage say a few blast from the past phrases they invite me to sit behind the drums, or take the lead my choice. As next week’s my birthday but their not gonna be around for the party.

Now were talking about a bar with 200 or so “Wanna be Townie Country Newf’s” and everyone there thinks I’m just gonna hop up in the middle of “Kicken’ Country’s” set and play “All my rowdie friends are getten’ down “ or some other kind of hill billy red neck two step.

Helllllll NOOOOOOOOO

What happens is Kevin the singer tells a story about how I’m the only one still with long hair and refuses to grow up, then proceeds to tell the rest bar along with my better half, how this hot red head used to drive my crazy back in the day.
When we were:
Loud, aggressive, head banging teenagers, who played too loud, too often, too much!
BUT, that he and the rest had become a bit more mature since those days of old.

And that when this certian Red head (who he is now married too and sitting right in front of us with my better half beside her) come into the bar we were house band at, and even if we were in the middle of a song I’d start a certain riff and wouldn’t stop until the rest of the band kicked in NO MATTER WHAT.

**Bar goes into laughter thinking an Allan Jackson tune was on the menu, or perhaps Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett.
Nope
Not even close!
See their lead player and I had played this song together BOTH with me on lead AND on drums.
And he knew something I didn’t.

That the rest of the guy’s had hatched this B.Day present at the end of the second set and no matter if I tokk rythem or drums I could handle proitty much what ever they threw at me.

Had I gone for a guitar the drummer was told to start the drum riff for “Were not gonna take it” by Twisted Sister.
But since I looked up at those big, beautiful, double kick, set of "Studio Maple Pearl’s".. all I could do is reach for the sticks..

He looks over at Travis and says HIT IT!
And after 4 bar’s of the opening riff I kicked into the song with a sheer sense of being at one with a drum kit in a way which would make Tommy Lee proud and transported me baqck to 1984’ and the joy of life as a teenager playing
TOO DAMN LOUD,
TOO DAMN OFTEN,
TOO DAMN LATE
I started the kick line and snare beat to

MOTLEY CRUE LYRICS
Too Young To Fall In Love

You say our love
Is like dynamite
Open your eyes
'Cause it's like fire and ice
Well you're killing me
Your love's a guillotine
Why don't you just set me free

[Chorus:]
Too young to fall in love

Run for the hills
We're both sinners and saints
Not a woman, but a whore
I can just taste the hate
Well now I'm killing you
Watch your face turning blue
Not yet a man
Just a punk in the street

[Chorus:]

[Solo:]

You say our love
Is like dynamite
Well its no surprise
Cause you've got one-way eyes
Well you're killing me
Your love's a guillotine
Not yet a man
Just a punk in the street

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:17 PM
You still have a mullet, don't you?

Sounds like you had a blast.

chiefs4me
03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
PBJ

4th and Long
03-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Just to relive my younger days, I downloaded the "Too Young To Fall In Love" video a few days ago. How weird is that?

Count Zarth
03-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Just to relive my younger days, I downloaded the "Too Young To Fall In Love" video a few days ago. How weird is that?

Ho-ho, 4th and Long! That is mega-cooky-weird my brother! Rock out!

Over-Head
03-03-2005, 07:29 PM
You still have a mullet, don't you?

Sounds like you had a blast.

The only difference (in teh hair style, I'm NOT Vince Neil by a long stretch) is mine is dark brown, with red underlay hightlights which match my drum kit color. Not blond with dark roots.
Otherwise it's the exact same style.

http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/Celebrities/cttattoo.asp?celeb_id=235&tattoo=466

4th and Long
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
That is mega-cooky-weird my brother!
http://www.tvnorge.no/bilder/00/80/62/68/murphy_nolte_halv_l.jpg.medium.jpg
We aint brothers, we aint partners and we aint friends. :p

4th and Long
03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey Over-Head. I saw this the other day and thought of you. ;)
http://www.wickedpenguin.com/shockwave/drumset.htm

Over-Head
03-03-2005, 07:35 PM

I bought the Crue's "Red, White, and Crue" a while back, and listened to that song like 4 times while driving to work this morning.
And have been humming it all day,
freaky huhh?

Over-Head
03-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey Over-Head. I saw this the other day and thought of you. ;)
http://www.wickedpenguin.com/shockwave/drumset.htm
ROFL

Iowanian
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
You were Great For your Time Filling in on STEEL DRAGON Marky mark.

Just think.........if you hadn't smoked all those doobies in the 80's...you might even have remembered the lyrics.

Over-Head
03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
You were Great For your Time Filling in on STEEL DRAGON Marky mark.

Just think.........if you hadn't smoked all those doobies in the 80's...you might even have remembered the lyrics.

leave it to you to burst my bubble 4321

j/k :p

Iowanian
03-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Can he sing?

"Staaaaaaannnnnd UUUUUUPPPPPP AND SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOUUUUUUUUU YOYOOOOOYOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWT!"

Over-Head
03-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Can he sing?

"Staaaaaaannnnnd UUUUUUPPPPPP AND SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOUUUUUUUUU YOYOOOOOYOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWT!"

Probably, all I know is he did a killer job on "Hell on High Heals" (Kevin tried that one to sdee if he could stump me) right atfer the first song. :thumb: :thumb:

Over-Head
03-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Man, I didn't much sleep last night, as i'm still stoked about seeing my old pals after all this time. But god did I ever have fun.
The boy's are still intown tonight, i'm thinking I might pull a few strings and make a few calls to set up a "one night for old times sake" opening act at the Hard rock Club downtown for tonight if the boy's are up to it.

I hope someone took a few pic's last night.