PDA

View Full Version : lambs did a pretty good,quick( and cheap) job of addressing their linebacking corps

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Ex-Vike agrees to three-year contract
By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

For the second time in two days, the St. Louis Rams have addressed their linebacker corps, as they move toward a major overhaul of the unit for 2005.

Unrestricted free agent Chris Claiborne, who played the past two season for the Minnesota Vikings, agreed Thursday afternoon to a three-year contract, ESPN.com has learned. The addition of Claiborne, who will become the Rams' starting middle linebacker, follows the Wednesday acquisition of former Dallas star Dexter Coakley.

Claiborne will sign a three-year contract worth $10.5 million and the deal includes a $3.6 million signing bonus. In terms of annual salaries, Claiborne will earn $800,000 (2005), $2.85 million (2006) and $3.25 million (2007).

Revamping the linebacker corps, after a dismal 2004 performance, was an offseason priority for the Rams, and they wasted little time addressing it. Coakley signed a five-year contract worth $14.5 million, with a $3 million signing bonus.

Claiborne, 26, played the strong-side spot for the Vikings the past two seasons and really resurrected his career. Part of what made him attractive to the Rams was the versatility he has exhibited, as he has started at various times at all three linebacker positions.

The former Southern California star was a first-round draft choice of Detroit in 1999 and played his first four seasons with the Lions before signing with the Vikings in 2003 as a free agent.

He has 528 tackles in his career, along with 14 sacks, eight interceptions, 30 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and eight recoveries. In the 2000-02 seasons, he had 100-plus tackles each season. Claiborne has played in 87 games.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click

Bowser
03-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm really beginning to think we suck at free agency. [sarcasm/]

the Talking Can
03-03-2005, 09:40 PM
don't worry, Carl's being agressive....or something

Mile High Mania
03-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Carl's just pacing himself...

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Yup. I thought so. If Carl is simply chasing the big dogs for show, I'm really gonna be pissed....we better sign two out of three of Hartwell/Rolle/Smith....or I'm gonna.... :cuss:

|Zach|
03-03-2005, 09:45 PM
You guys would shit a brick if we signed these guys...

dirk digler
03-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Yup. I thought so. If Carl is simply chasing the big dogs for show, I'm really gonna be pissed....we better sign two out of three of Hartwell/Rolle/Smith....or I'm gonna.... :cuss:

No shit we can't let Mad Mike Martz out do us.

Mr. Kotter

And I fuggin' enjoy the hell out of it; I'll RELISH the opportunity to shit a brick tomorrow if we sign these guys... :thumb:

Bowser

Pffft. I'd shit a Miata.

|Zach|
03-03-2005, 09:48 PM
And I fuggin' enjoy the hell out of it; I'll RELISH the opportunity to shit a brick tomorrow if we sign these guys... :thumb:
I am referring to the topic thread...if we signed these guys this place would go apeshit in disgust.

dirk digler
03-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Pffft. I'd shit a Miata.

You would need alot of lube for that... well on second thought. :p

ChiTown
Pffft. I'd shit a Miata.

I'd pay top dollar to see that first hand.

the Talking Can
I am referring to the topic thread...if we signed these guys this place would go apeshit in disgust.

Clairborne would instantly be the best defensive player on our team...

Mr. Laz

actually i would of love to sign claiborne for that kind of money

he can play the middle or the strong side and he brings a load.

Coakley is prolly not someone i would want, but then again st. louis' defense is better than ours already. They can prolly afford to sign a veteran for his leadership... where we really can't.

dirk digler
03-03-2005, 09:51 PM

I like Coakley actually I think that was a very good signing the guy is a Pro Bowl LB.

Mr. Kotter

Hell, I'd have been happy with Claiborne; not thrilled with Coakley...but, hell, I'd have been okay with them. Seriously.

|Zach|
I hear you...and to an extent agree with you. But I don't believe it...

If we signed these guys we would have thread after thread about how Carl and Lamar are trying to be cheap and not going after studs in FA.

Count Alex's Losses
03-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Claiborne is SOOOO overrated. He's just a name. Played LB on some of the worst defenses in his career....I'd rather have Hartwell or Trotter.

Coakley is good but he's not all-world or anything. Too small for a Gunther-type LB anyway.

The Rams suck.

dirk digler
03-03-2005, 09:53 PM
I hear you...and to an extent agree with you. But I don't believe it...

If we signed these guys we would have thread after thread about how Carl and Lamar are trying to be cheap and not going after studs in FA.

Any LB we would have signed is better than what we got but we can't be cheap when it comes to CB's.

the Talking Can
03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
the more I think about it that Clairborne contract is awesome....we could have (theoreticaly) squeezed that in with Trotter and Rolle

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I hear you...and to an extent agree with you. But I don't believe it..
of course you wouldn't ...

you belong to the "Rufus dawes, All fans are idiots" club

silver premium membership ... i would imagine

the Talking Can
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
the more I think about it that Clairborne contract is awesome....we could have (theoreticaly) squeezed that in with Trotter and Rolle

I take that back, its only a 3 year deal....no way to back load that much

Count Alex's Losses
03-03-2005, 09:56 PM

Ask any Lions fan or Viqueens fan....Claiborne SUCKS.

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 09:59 PM

He's right. If we had signed Claiborne today, there'd be 50 threads on here about how cheap Carl is and how he blew it by not getting Trotter or Hartwell.

Just wait to see what happens if we do sign Trotter or Hartwell and they don't pan out. Some of the same people that are here today posting "still no signings" threads will be here in 6 months bitching because Carl signed "that bum".

Freekofnature
03-03-2005, 10:00 PM
UGh....... why couldnt they just overpay Gold........

Bowser
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
If I'm reading all of this correctly, we are most happy being pissed.

Jeeez, when did we turn into ****ing Cubs fans?

Mr. Laz
He's right. If we had signed Claiborne today, there'd be 50 threads on here about how cheap Carl is and how he blew it by not getting Trotter or Hartwell.

Just wait to see what happens if we do sign Trotter or Hartwell and they don't pan out. Some of the same people that are here today posting "still no signings" threads will be here in 6 months bitching because Carl signed "that bum".

you get an honorary membership :p

dirk digler

Good point if he couldn't improve the Vikings D then he ain't going to help us. I like Coakley though speed kills.

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
you get an honorary membership :p

For what?

What did I say that even remotely is a defense of Carl Peterson? NOTHING.

Face it. There's alot of people here that will bitch NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.

Chiefnj
03-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Claiborne is SOOOO overrated. He's just a name. Played LB on some of the worst defenses in his career....I'd rather have Hartwell or Trotter.

Since I was hoping Claiborne would be around as a backup plan, I'll defend him a bit. He played on some atrocious Lions teams and played pretty well. In 2002 he led the team in tackles, INTs and was something like 3rd in sacks (on the team) as the MLB and the Lions, despite their record, had a fair run defense.

He's not great, but he still would have been an upgrade to what KC has on its roster, plus he can play inside and outside. Oh well.

|Zach|
03-03-2005, 10:04 PM

Nah last time I checked I have a Bronze membership...it goes a little something like this...

1. Carl has made a shit load of mistakes and I won't miss him when he is gone.

2. With #1 being known I believe most fans and armchair QBs would do much worse than Carl during his tenure.

3. Fans working hard on their phones and keyboards have great freedom. They are free of bottom lines, the actual process of negotiation, and have the power of 20\20 hindsight. If you or I make a decision or prediction of what we think will happen if it happens we trumpet our intelligence...if it doesn't the little threads sits in obivian and we go on talking about how stupid other people are.

All in all...I am sick of Carl but I am really happy the CP Brain Trust is not in charge.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM

He had NOTHING around him at either stop; the Vikes wanted to resgin him...but he had no interest in returning.

|Zach|
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Thats my main point....

Like when I posed the question....

Is there somebody that could write on the Chiefs website about the football team and not be called an idiot. I dont think it is possible.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Since I was hoping Claiborne would be around as a backup plan, I'll defend him a bit. He played on some atrocious Lions teams and played pretty well. In 2002 he led the team in tackles, INTs and was something like 3rd in sacks (on the team) as the MLB and the Lions, despite their record, had a fair run defense.

He's not great, but he still would have been an upgrade to what KC has on its roster, plus he can play inside and outside. Oh well.

Right on target.

the Talking Can
03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
For what?

umm, the only bitching is coming from people bitching about other people theoreticaly bitching because of a hypothetical scenario....Freud called it "projection"

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 10:08 PM
For what?

i never said ANYTHING ABOUT CARL PETERSON

i said some people just don't like other fans ... they think their stupid.

i would say your a part time member, at least ... you have very little respect for the intelligence of the fans in general.

Mr. Contrarian :)

Count Alex's Losses
03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
He had NOTHING around him at either stop; the Vikes wanted to resgin him...but he had no interest in returning.

That's false. Kevin Williams and Chris Hovan? E.J. Henderson? Corey Chavous and Antoine Winfield?

Viking fans refer to him as "Chrissie." He's always fat and out of shape and has a bad attitude. Here's a quote from a Viking forum:

We already have EJ and napolean who are MLB's. Good riddens to him. He couldn't stay healthy playing outside LB, you think he would be able to playing inside? I doubt it. I want a LB I can count on to be healthy for 16 games and not get fat as the season goes on.

the Talking Can
03-03-2005, 10:17 PM
That's false. Kevin Williams and Chris Hovan? E.J. Henderson? Corey Chavous and Antoine Winfield?

Viking fans refer to him as "Chrissie." He's always fat and out of shape and has a bad attitude. Here's a quote from a Viking forum:

Hovan was such a worthless piece of shit they benched him...and if they think Napoleon Harris is a better LB than they're ****ing idiots

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Everyone of those guys you named had TERRIBLE to Poor years, except Williams, last year...hell, the Vike's "D" was nearly as bad as the Chiefs: Chiefs finished 31st, the Vikes finished 28th... :)

In fairness, Goatcheese....I live in Viqueen-land... :p

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2004/regular?sort_col_1=4