PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER-Chiefs woo free-agents, lots of talks but no deals yet

Sure-Oz
03-03-2005, 11:03 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11046281.htm

Chiefs woo free agents; lots of talk, but no deals

BY ADAM TEICHER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - (KRT) - The first wave of free-agent visitors departed Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday, and none carried a signed Chiefs contract.

The Chiefs did enter into preliminary contract discussions with linebackers Ed Hartwell of Baltimore and Jeremiah Trotter of Philadelphia and cornerback Samari Rolle of Tennessee. But the Chiefs appeared ready to wait on any agreement until they've met with the second wave of visitors consisting of Pittsburgh linebacker Kendrell Bell and Tampa Bay defensive back Dwight Smith.

Bell and Smith arrived Thursday night and were to be at Arrowhead on Friday.

"We'd really like to talk to the whole group before we make any firm decisions," president/general manager Carl Peterson said. "I think it would be premature to have a deal (Thursday) with any of them. There's still some work left to do."

The Chiefs lost one of their own free agents Thursday when reserve halfback Derrick Blaylock agreed to terms of a contract with the New York Jets. Blaylock, who backed up Priest Holmes for the last two seasons, will be a reserve behind Curtis Martin in New York.

The Chiefs may take a break from entertaining free agents for at least a couple of days after Bell and Smith depart later Friday. But a visit from former New England cornerback Ty Law may come as soon as next week.

Peterson indicated last week after meeting with Law's agent that Law, a four-time Pro Bowler, wouldn't be making visits until his injured foot was on the mend. Law missed the last half of last season because of the injury.

But Peterson said Law's camp had an abrupt change of heart even though, according to Peterson, Law is moving around now only with the aid of a wheelchair.

"They're probably coming to the conclusion that the money may dry up if he takes too long," Peterson said.

"We're hoping we can arrange this. We'd have to have a discussion with his doctors. We'd have to give him whatever physical exam we can at this point. We'd have to figure how long his rehab will be. We'd like to talk to him and have our doctors talk to him."

The Chiefs will interview Bell as a possible alternative to either Hartwell or Trotter. Bell is one of the top linebackers available in free-agency, but he missed all but three games last season because of a sports hernia and his health remains a question.

Smith is also an intriguing prospect. He was mostly a safety in four seasons with Tampa Bay, but also played some cornerback. The Chiefs are looking at Smith as a player who can help at both spots.

"He can play both, and that's one of the things we like about him," Peterson said. "He's got that versatility."

The Chiefs moved quickly to bring Rolle, Hartwell and Trotter to Kansas City on the first day of free-agency. But all three players escaped without a contract even though the Chiefs were talking with the agents for all three players.

"They just need a few pieces to the puzzle, basically," said Rolle, who was with his wife, Danisha, and said the couple would be returning to Nashville rather than immediately head for more visits. "A couple of additions here and there, and they'll be all right."

Trotter left Kansas City for an NFL location he wouldn't disclose. He indicated he wanted a new contract sooner rather than later.

"I'm going to get it all settled quickly," Trotter said. "I know all of the teams are trying to do the same thing. I want a quick decision, too."

Hartwell was also headed for a visit with an undisclosed team. His agent, Harold Lewis, indicated Hartwell had decided he wanted to play for the Chiefs.

"The most important thing is that he's comfortable with the situation," Lewis said. "I can give you good news on that front. He absolutely loved his visit. We've just got to find a deal that works for us and works for Kansas City."

---

2005, The Kansas City Star.

Visit The Star Web edition on the World Wide Web at http://www.kcstar.com

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2005, 11:09 PM
What kind of lame ass shit is Peterson pulling?

You're going to bring a wave of top FAs in, and then you're going to wait to finalize any deals with them because you want the second wave, and lesser FAs to visit?

If you want a player, you go hard after him. All it seems that he's doing is entertaining these guys and is going to shake them out. If all of them sign elsewhere he can say the Chiefs made an effort to sign them.

What an backwards organization this is.

HolmeZz
03-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Hartwell and Rolle really sound like locks. Let's just hope we don't **** this up. :banghead:

T-post Tom
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM

You're going to bring a wave of top FAs in, and then you're going to wait to finalize any deals with them because you want the second wave, and lesser FAs to visit?

If you want a player, you go hard after him. All it seems that he's doing is entertaining these guys and is going to shake them out. If all of them sign elsewhere he can say the Chiefs made an effort to sign them.

Yup, good ole CP is one tough SOB... :cuss:

Sure-Oz
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Hartwell and Rolle better have deals tomorrow!

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Good news on Hartwell.

I don't like this below what Carl said...

"We'd really like to talk to the whole group before we make any firm decisions," president/general manager Carl Peterson said. "I think it would be premature to have a deal (Thursday) with any of them. There's still some work left to do."

Everyone else is moving fast because the players WILL BE GONE IF NOT.

And this...

The Chiefs may take a break from entertaining free agents for at least a couple of days after Bell and Smith depart later Friday.

Why must the Chiefs always take "breaks" and stuff, jeez. I wouldn't be resting until that D was fixed.

beer bacon
Hartwell and Rolle really sound like locks. Let's just hope we don't **** this up. :banghead:

I don't like any player leaving town without a contract. I really don't like any player leaving town without a contract and going to visit other teams.

Good news on Hartwell.

I don't like this below what Carl said...

Everyone else is moving fast because the players WILL BE GONE IF NOT.

And this...

The Chiefs may take a break from entertaining free agents for at least a couple of days after Bell and Smith depart later Friday.

Why must the Chiefs always take "breaks" and stuff, jeez. I wouldn't be resting until that D was fixed.

You really are a jerk. First, Carl has to start his vacation late because of some bullshit meeting in Atlanta. Then he postpones it for even longer so he can parade around some FAs to quiet the masses. Now he just wants to take a few days, maybe a week or three to put his feet up and relax. But nooooooooo your whiny ass expects him to just go nonstop until he gets these guys signed.

What do you think he is? A competent GM?

Pants
Are you f*cking me?

Woodrow Call
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
This article really pooped in my oatmeal. :deevee:

Miles
03-03-2005, 11:14 PM

Yeah that article is pretty troubling. Especially the part where it hinted of playing Smith at CB.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Don't take it too bad, Archie. Teicher is a negative person and negative writer.

I took as if Rolle wants to be here and so does Hartwell. It's up to us to deliver the money. I think we will and we better...or possible 8-8 here we come.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2005, 11:16 PM
We better get Hartwell and Rolle signed by tomorrow night or i think we wont have them at all.

el borracho
I am actually glad that we are visiting with multiple options and giving physicals to some of the questionable free-agents. We may have missed out on Smoot and Lucas, but hopefully the caution will help us get the right guy. Who knows... maybe we will be the only team left with enough cap room to make Law a reasonable offer.

Detoxing
Omfg, if we pull in another saftey to play corner, i will shit my pants....if we loose hartwell...someone who wants to play here.....ah hell, i'll just say it, CP needs to choke on his own peeweee

The Bad Guy
03-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Yeah that article is pretty troubling. Especially the part where it hinted of playing Smith at CB.

It's beyond troubling.

The Chiefs get 3 of the biggest FA fish on the market, bring them in, wine and dine them, and then say.."We aren't going to do anything until the next wave of FAs come in"...

What kind of friggen logic is that?

This is why our defense is in the position it is at. We have management who take their sweet time, overdraft players, and act like they are in the playoffs every year.

There is young, very good talent that wants to play for the Chiefs and what do they do? They let them go and visit other teams.

I'll be so god damn happy when Carl Peterson isn't running the show anymore.

Nightfyre
Omfg, if we pull in another saftey to play corner, i will shit my pants....if we loose hartwell...someone who wants to play here.....ah hell, i'll just say it, CP needs to choke on his own peeweee
Thank you, Dr. Jesus.

Sorry, I really just wanted to say Dr. Jesus.

Miles
We better get Hartwell and Rolle signed by tomorrow night or i think we wont have them at all.

Yeah im thinking the exact same thing. If they visit another team i feel the window of opportunity will have lapsed.

Woodrow Call
03-03-2005, 11:20 PM
If Rolle, Hartwell, or Trotter dont sign here the Chiefs choices at those positions go down fast. They have the pick of the litter right now I just hope they at least get one.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm calling it right now...

Hartwell and Rolle will be Chiefs by Friday night.

Both said they don't want a long played out situation, they want to hurry up, get signed, get with their new teams.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2005, 11:22 PM
We can sign Bell, Hartwell and Rolle, i will shit a major brick if we don't get H and R for sure. It seems like it's all just a big tease, please lord let us get an official word tomorrow on them, hopefully with contracts with the Chiefs!

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Hartwell and Rolle better have deals tomorrow!
Yep. :thumb:

Nightfyre
03-03-2005, 11:23 PM
I want bell too tho.....

Rausch
03-03-2005, 11:25 PM
We can sign Bell, Hartwell and Rolle, i will shit a major brick if we don't get H and R for sure. It seems like it's all just a big tease, please lord let us get an official word tomorrow on them, hopefully with contracts with the Chiefs!

Sounds like Hartwell and Rolle are just waiting on the formalities.

And how sweet would it be to get Law cheap and be able to wait on his health?..

Count Zarth
Peterson's intentions are good (bringing in all the big free agents) but unfortunately he is still listening to his heart (shop around and get the cheapest ones).

Phobia

Hartwell wants to play where they throw him the most money. His agent is saying "Hartwell wants to play here" in every city he's visiting no doubt.

Nightfyre
Cmon, you just backload the contracts.... Hell, all of you can have your 6 mil a year, just wait a couple years for the cash to start flowing in. By then the cap will be larger anyway.

Miles
03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
It's beyond troubling.

The Chiefs get 3 of the biggest FA fish on the market, bring them in, wine and dine them, and then say.."We aren't going to do anything until the next wave of FAs come in"...

What kind of friggen logic is that?

This is why our defense is in the position it is at. We have management who take their sweet time, overdraft players, and act like they are in the playoffs every year.

There is young, very good talent that wants to play for the Chiefs and what do they do? They let them go and visit other teams.

I'll be so god damn happy when Carl Peterson isn't running the show anymore.

I dont think waiting to talk with Bell and Smith is all that bad. If they hadnt arrived the same day and Hartwell and Rolle had left to visit other teams i would be pretty pissed. I still consider Bell and Smith upper level FA's though not at good at the first 3 brought in. It makes sense to look into them.

If we see another article like this tomorrow then it will be time to panic..

Also if we end up converting a great playmaking SS into a CB it will be unbelievable.

Straight, No Chaser
03-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm calling it right now...

Hartwell and Rolle will be Chiefs by Friday night...

I just said on another thread these two are the best we can hope for (at this point). I think you're right --and it will come down tomorrow. Now, I'm off to bed to dream about it...

--->

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Teicher has one thing wrong, Hartwell is staying overnight here. At least I didn't catch that in the article, but Hartwell is staying.

Count Zarth
03-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Teicher has one thing wrong, Hartwell is staying overnight here. At least I didn't catch that in the article, but Hartwell is staying.

Carl better be tossing hookers through his window.

beer bacon
03-03-2005, 11:30 PM

People are saying they heard on 610 am he is just staying tonight because he missed his flight.

Rausch
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Looks like it might be a game of dominoes. If we sign 1 or 2 names, the rest will probably be a lot more likely to jump on board...

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 11:33 PM
I don't like any player leaving town without a contract. I really don't like any player leaving town without a contract and going to visit other teams.

You really are a jerk. First, Carl has to start his vacation late because of some bullshit meeting in Atlanta. Then he postpones it for even longer so he can parade around some FAs to quiet the masses. Now he just wants to take a few days, maybe a week or three to put his feet up and relax. But nooooooooo your whiny ass expects him to just go nonstop until he gets these guys signed.

What do you think he is? A competent GM?

ROFL

And with that, I'm going to bed to dream about it too.

Good night, everyone.

I'm out like a fat chick in dodgeball.

Ari Chi3fs
03-03-2005, 11:34 PM
I'll be happy when Carl Peterson isn't running the show anymore.

Yeah, he thinks he knows it all. I so wish I was invited to speak at the Roast for him on the 10th.

Count Zarth
03-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Monty Beisel wears #56.

Miles
03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Monty Beisel wears #56.

Did we resign him?

Count Zarth
03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Did we resign him?

I don't think he was a free agent. Was he?

Wallcrawler
03-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Those look like Redskins jerseys

Woodrow Call
03-03-2005, 11:40 PM

He was non tendered

Miles
03-03-2005, 11:42 PM

I really dont know. I seem to have read he was, but its not like he is really worth keeping up with.

tk13
03-03-2005, 11:43 PM
I don't know, hard to tell because Teicher can paint any picture he wants, but it sounds like we might be holding out for Law. Maybe that's who Carl really wants. If he's healthy by Week 1, he's definitely the #1 CB in my book... can we wait for him though, I guess that's the question...

ZootedGranny
03-03-2005, 11:44 PM
I will turn Peterson's mouth into my own personal toilet if he doesn't sign at least two of these bastards.

I don't care if I have to turn this into an episode of "24" and start kidnapping sons and daughters, I need some damn Hartwell and Rolle action!

Nightfyre
03-03-2005, 11:45 PM
I will turn Peterson's mouth into my own personal toilet if he doesn't sign at least two of these bastards.

I don't care if I have to turn this into an episode of "24" and start kidnapping sons and daughters, I need some damn Hartwell and Rolle action!
If it comes down to that, please dont sell yourself short, make sure he gets bell and surtain too....

Count Zarth
03-03-2005, 11:46 PM
If it comes down to that, please dont sell yourself short, make sure he gets bell and surtain too....

Yeah. If you're going to shit in his mouth make sure our defense is good.

Phobia
03-03-2005, 11:48 PM
I really dont know. I seem to have read he was, but its not like he is really worth keeping up with.

Restricted, IIRC.

King_Chief_Fan
03-04-2005, 06:34 AM
I don't know, hard to tell because Teicher can paint any picture he wants, but it sounds like we might be holding out for Law. Maybe that's who Carl really wants. If he's healthy by Week 1, he's definitely the #1 CB in my book... can we wait for him though, I guess that's the question...

DAMAGED GOODS-
the guy was injured in November?
Still not walking and having to use a wheelchair.
I know Bartee is bad, but Law in a wheelchair will not do it.

Mile High Mania
03-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Looks like it might be a game of dominoes. If we sign 1 or 2 names, the rest will probably be a lot more likely to jump on board...

Problem is ... all those defensive FA's are fighting over who should be the first to sign in KC. They're sitting in the hotel saying "No dude, you sign first... I promise I'll follow."

KCTitus
03-04-2005, 06:45 AM
"They just need a few pieces to the puzzle, basically," said Rolle, who was with his wife, Danisha, and said the couple would be returning to Nashville rather than immediately head for more visits. "A couple of additions here and there, and they'll be all right."

Clearly, this guy doesnt know anything about football.

Mile High Mania
03-04-2005, 06:48 AM

I think he was just referring to Dline, LBs, S and CBs as the "here and there".

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2005, 06:50 AM

Actually, he knows more than some of us around here. 3, maybe 4 pieces, could dramatically improve this team--especially say three additions at CB, LB, S, or DE (and/or WR).

Too many of our defenders are covering the ass of a couple of our really bad players, and too often are simply out of position. If we have players who do what they are suppose to do---the entire defense just got better IMHO.

KCTitus
03-04-2005, 06:51 AM
I think he was just referring to Dline, LBs, S and CBs as the "here and there".

Oh, gotcha...thanks for narrowing it down.

KCTitus
03-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Actually, he knows more than some of us around here.

blasphemy...

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2005, 06:53 AM
blasphemy...

I'll whip myself....harshly.

ROYC75
03-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Hartwell and Rolle should have never left KC without a signed contract in hand.........

Does any of this suprise anybody here about CP and the Chiefs ?

tomahawk kid
03-04-2005, 07:06 AM
From what I've read (outside of worthless a$$ Titless) and heard in the local media, it sounds like something is immiment with Hartwell (IMO).

I hadn't heard the "he's staying just because he missed his flight" line yet. 810 was spinning it as the Chiefs aren't going to let this guy leave KC without a contract.

From what St John and Fescoe were talking about this morning on 810, Trotter must have been asking for a double digit signing bonus. That's why he's gone.

They also inferred that KC is looking at Dwight Smith as a SAFETY and not a corner.

From what I heard from Rolle yesterday on the radio, it sounds like the ball is in the Chiefs court. He didn't have any other visits planned (per him) and he made it sound like he was going to wait and see if his agent and the Chiefs could work something out today.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Hartwell and Rolle under contract at the end of the day today.

shakesthecat
03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Ahh....another day of hand ringing and teeth gnashing.

Just a hunch, but I think KC gets both Hartwell and Rolle, possibly even today.

I also don't think KC is done yet.

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Let's see Hartwell at MLB, Surtain and Rolle at CB, Warfield to nickle and safety, Bell at OLB. Does this dream team get us to the Super Bowl?

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Let's see Hartwell at MLB, Surtain and Rolle at CB, Warfield to nickle and safety, Bell at OLB. Does this dream team get us to the Super Bowl?

It does on Madden 2005.... :)

(I've seen a kid play out that very scenario)

TEX
03-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Hartwell and Rolle should have never left KC without a signed contract in hand.........

ABSOLUTELY - IMO they're as good as GONE. Hope I'm wrong but...

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:23 AM
ABSOLUTELY - IMO they're as good as GONE. Hope I'm wrong but...

:shake:

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:24 AM

I'm certainly not surprised by all of the posts just like this one.

TEX
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm certainly not surprised by all of the posts just like this one.

:shake:

booger
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
The Smith visit is for him to play FS, I bet.

It would also give them a Nickel Corner like he played both in Tampa. We did the same thing when Mark Collins moved to FS when we got Hasty. Woods did the same in '03 when healthy. Looks like they are looking to replace Woods instead of Wesley which is also a good sign.

TRR
03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Smith is also an intriguing prospect. He was mostly a safety in four seasons with Tampa Bay, but also played some cornerback. The Chiefs are looking at Smith as a player who can help at both spots.

"He can play both, and that's one of the things we like about him," Peterson said. "He's got that versatility."

That is a scary statement. Haven't they learned to play safeties at the safety spot, and let the CB's play CB?

booger
03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Restricted, IIRC.
Foogeeetaaaa is RFA.

Caver, Jones, and Beisel are UFA.

You should know these things as a Mod. :)

bricks
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
The Chiefs are doing the worst possible thing, wait, wait, and wait. They said they plan on being aggresive, that's complete bullsh*t ok. If this franchise really, really wanted to win they would have signed a couple of impact defensive FA. Why play the waiting game, and then be left out when all the good players will be snatched by other teams? Hartwell and Rolle will be gone before we know it, so will trotter. I hope I'm wrong. But, I think it will happen. The cream of the crop will be gone b4 we know it. And, we will be stuck with guys like Chad Scott, Andre Dyson, Rocky Calmus, and Kevin Adams. Peterson is a F*ck up! F*ck you Carl! :cuss: :cuss: