PDA

View Full Version : BLAYLOCK THRILLED TO BE JETS' NO. 2

oaklandhater
03-04-2005, 03:46 AM
http://nypost.com/sports/jets/22309.htm

March 4, 2005 -- For those Jets fans fretting and bemoaning the loss of LaMont Jordan to the Raiders, let Jordan's replacement, Derrick Blaylock, tell you what's in store.
"They'll see. Once they see me on the field and see what I can do, they'll understand that they have a good thing in Derrick Blaylock," Blaylock told The Post yesterday.

The Jets signed Blaylock to a five-year, $11.1 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $3.2 million, a nice chunk of change for a backup running back. Blaylock will be more than worth the investment if he can do for Curtis Martin what Jordan did: provide a solid alternative in the ground game.

Blaylock is accustomed to playing behind Pro Bowl-type runners, as he spent his first three NFL seasons in Kansas City watching, learning and getting the ball behind Priest Holmes. Now he gets to be Martin's caddy and he can hardly wait.

"Oh man, it's going to be great," Blaylock said. "He's a guy I have a tremendous respect for. In my eyes he is the most consistent running back in the game right now. I learned a lot from Priest and Tony Richardson, but I feel I can learn a lot from Curtis."

The Texans and Buccaneers had interest in Blaylock, 25, and the Chiefs wanted him back. Last season was by far his best, as he had 539 yards and eight TDs. He also caught 25 passes. The 5-9, 210-pound Blaylock was a 2001 fifth-round draft pick out of Stephen F. Austin with excellent speed.

"[The Jets] promised to feature him in a way where I think he's still going to get 10-15 carries and still have a significant role on the team," said Blaylock's agent, Michael Huyghue. "I think they think he's a companion b

Ari Chi3fs
03-04-2005, 04:06 AM
"I think they think he's a companion b

King_Chief_Fan
03-04-2005, 06:16 AM
can you say over rated.
Sorry, DB was not worth that.

Skip Towne
03-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Good for Derrick. He's a good RB we just didn't need him at that price. We have two RB's better than him.

vckcchiefs04
03-04-2005, 06:53 AM
can you say over rated.
I don't think Derrick is overrated, but he IS now overpaid. I could not be happier for DB..... he served his time here and now he is going to get very good money for doing the same things in N.Y. Congrats DB and all the luck in the world to ya!! :thumb:

Ghostof
03-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Overrated??

He had 4 touchdowns in one game against atlanta

And wasnt that the same day Holmes got 4??

"Holmes scored four TDs for just the second time in his career and went over 100-yards rushing for the 23rd time of his KC tenure."

oh, that day was just the second time in Holmes career he had four....and a first for DB, in his short playing time...

but I forgot....DB is overrated.

I cant wait til this year when LJ is a bust and people will be wondering why we let DB go

Cormac
03-04-2005, 07:16 AM
That was a lot of money. But if he proves himself, he'll probably be starting after 1 season. RBs can decline fast. It wouldn't surprise me if Curtis Martin tails off this year, and DB gets a lot of playing time.

By the way, I wonder if Jets fans bemoan Terry Bradway's constant "chiefzifying" of the Jets :p

Kclee
03-04-2005, 07:20 AM
I cant wait til this year when LJ is a bust and people will be wondering why we let DB go

You want LJ to do bad just so you can throw it in peoples faces? Huh.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm glad he's happy being a career backup.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 07:29 AM

Absolutely ****ing brilliant.

3 starts, 581 yards, 9 touchdowns.

LJ has already proven himself, and proven that you are simply bitter.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm happy for Derrick. I hope he does well.

Count Zarth
03-04-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm glad he's happy being a career backup.

Yeah I'm a little shocked he didn't try to find a place where he can be the starting running back. I guess he knows his limitations.

ChiTown
03-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Absolutely ****ing brilliant.

3 starts, 581 yards, 9 touchdowns.

LJ has already proven himself, and proven that you are simply bitter.

:thumb:

I have a lot of faith in LJ. He more than dismissed his doubters after filling in nicely for Priest.

Lzen
03-04-2005, 07:43 AM

How can a Chiefs fan want a Chiefs player to fail?
:rolleyes: :shake:

Kclee
03-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Yeah I'm a little shocked he didn't try to find a place where he can be the starting running back. I guess he knows his limitations.

eh, he just has to wait one more year to be starter. Plus, Martin is too old to be in on every down. DB will see his share this year and be a starter next. And the Jets are a pretty decent team.

penguinz
03-04-2005, 07:48 AM
I don't think Derrick is overratedHell yes he is overrated. He proved last season that he can't take a big hit.

Ghostof
03-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Everybody is so sensitive

I make a sarcastic post, and people get pissy

Kclee
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM

sorry, I'll adjust my meter. :banghead: Can't believe I didn't catch that. Still thought there was a LJ hater out there.

Lzen
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM

Sry but sarcasm doesn't always translate real well on the internet. ;)

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 07:57 AM

It's that time of year. :D

Lzen
03-04-2005, 08:02 AM
It's that time of year. :D

Sheesh, another name change. I'm gonna need a freakin' list to keep track of all you name changing dorks.
:banghead:

alpha_omega
03-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Good for him...nice payday.

Ghostof
03-04-2005, 08:10 AM
yeah i think from now on I'll use the ol "/sarcasm on...../sarcasm off" when I am being sarcastic

Mr. Laz
03-04-2005, 09:11 AM
can you say over rated.

:shake:

of course he's overrated... he left the chiefs

go get 'em Derrick!! :clap:

ChiefsOne
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Happy for Blaylock, hope he does well!

Overpaid, hell all NFL players are over paid, he deserves it as much as the next guy.

King_Chief_Fan
03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Overrated??

He had 4 touchdowns in one game against atlanta

And wasnt that the same day Holmes got 4??

"Holmes scored four TDs for just the second time in his career and went over 100-yards rushing for the 23rd time of his KC tenure."

oh, that day was just the second time in Holmes career he had four....and a first for DB, in his short playing time...

but I forgot....DB is overrated.

You only pay attention to the one game?
over rated for the amount of money he got.
We will see how much was him and how much was him behind the Chiefs line..........good luck to him.........But you know the entire Chief nation would have screamed if the Chiefs would have paid that for him, even if they didn't have Johnson

Kclee
03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
You only pay attention to the one game?
over rated for the amount of money he got.
We will see how much was him and how much was him behind the Chiefs line..........good luck to him.........But you know the entire Chief nation would have screamed if the Chiefs would have paid that for him, even if they didn't have Johnson

You didn't read through the WHOLE thread, did you? That's ok, he got me too.