PDA

View Full Version : Trotter stays another night

BigChiefFan
03-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Eagles: Trotter’s stay in K.C. extended
By BOB GROTZ, bobgrotz@aol.com03/04/2005
Email to a friend Voice your opinion Printer-friendly

PHILADELPHIA -- Free agent Jeremiah Trotter spent a bonus night in Kansas City Thursday while the Chiefs laid out their terms to sign him to a contract.
Earlier in the day sources said the Chiefs wouldn’t let Trotter leave without signing on the dotted line. The leader of the Eagles’ defense last season was scheduled to visit the Atlanta Falcons today.

Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore said an announcement of a signing for Trotter or the other free agents the club met with wasn’t imminent Thursday night but that the team was negotiating with a portion of the group. Cornerback Samari Rolle (Titans) and middle linebacker Ed Hartwell (Ravens) also visited the Chiefs. Linebacker Kendrell Bell (Steelers) and cornerback Fred Smoot were scheduled to visit today.

Advertisement

The Eagles, who made Trotter their priority free agent, yet let him explore his value on the open market, might not get a chance to match the Chiefs’ offer.

While Trotter was living the VIP life in K.C., the Eagles took out an insurance policy at defensive end.

Free agent Hugh Douglas agreed to a one-year contract for the veteran minimum of $765,000 plus playing incentives, although he could face a challenge making the Eagles if free agent Derrick Burgess returns and 2003 starter N.D. Kalu comes all the way back from knee surgery.

Douglas, who turns 34 during training camp, thinks there is enough gas in his tank for a couple of more NFL seasons although the shoulder that recently required surgery might not agree.

"It was really important for me to be back with this group of guys here in Philadelphia," Douglas said in a statement. "I’m looking forward to getting back on that field next year."

Andy Reid said Douglas added "depth to our defensive line rotation" and praised the veteran’s "off-the-field" contributions, which is to say the player’s eccentric sense of humor. The playful act didn’t go over big in Jacksonville when Douglas was cut after one season by head coach Jack Del Rio.

Trotter, on the other hand, remained elusive amid growing interest in his services. Trotter at first told reporters in Kansas City he was leaving to visit another team although he wouldn’t confirm it to be the Falcons. But the Chiefs kept him another night, lessening the likelihood he’d meet with the Falcons or the Seattle Seahawks and defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, who drafted the linebacker for the Eagles in 1998.

Though the Chiefs graciously hosted Trotter and the other free agents, all of whom they could use to upgrade a defense that would struggle against its scout team, sources said the players were told the Chiefs also wanted to evaluate another group of players. Smoot (Redskins) and Bell (Steelers) are said to be in that group.

While the Chiefs were studying Trotter’s medical reports, news broke the New York Giants agreed to terms with unrestricted free- agent middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, formerly of the Washington Redskins, on a six-year deal worth $26 million including a $6.5 million signing bonus. Pierce, 26, wasn’t a full-time starter until last season. He’s two years younger than Trotter, who recently appeared in his third Pro Bowl.

Later the St. Louis Rams signed free-agent linebacker Chris Claiborne to a three-year, $10.5 million contract.

l l l

While it looked worse than it was, it didn’t look great.

Eagles Pro Bowl safety Michael Lewis needed crutches Thursday to reach his car because his right foot and ankle were heavily bandaged.

Lewis said he underwent surgery to clean out bone spurs in the ankle, which he played through most of the season, and indicated he would be ready for training camp. The Eagles said Lewis underwent "ankle and toe debridement," the latter the medical term for cleanup.

"It’s just routine," Lewis said. "I’m going to be OK."

Dr. Mark Myerson, in Baltimore, who removed the screws from the ankle of wide receiver Terrell Owens, treated Lewis.

The Eagles said cornerback Matt Ware had his knee cleaned out by a physician in Los Angeles, Calif., close to the rookie’s hometown.

l l l

NOTES: Douglas, with 541/2 sacks, trails only the late Reggie White (124) and Clyde Simmons (761/2) on the Eagles all-time sack list. Douglas, with 80 overall sacks, is tied with Jason Taylor for fourth on the active list topped by Michael Strahan (118) of the Giants. ... The Eagles announced Thursday that the Eagles Youth Partnership was honored Wednesday by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation at the National Sports Philanthropy Conference with the inaugural Steve Patterson Sports Philanthropy Award. The Patterson award lauds the sports team or athletic foundation whose work is devoted to improving the lives of others.

©The Daily Times 2005

siberian khatru
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM
"Bob GROTZ"? That's too good to be true.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Where's the link?

This looks fake.

Bootlegged
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Smoot is coming in today??

beavis
03-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Where's the link?

This looks fake.
My thoughts exactly.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm pretty sure Grotz is an Eagles writer.

Dave Lane
03-04-2005, 08:02 AM
So Smoot is coming to KC, Woohoo!

Dave

Coach
03-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Where's the link?

This looks fake.

Nope, it's real.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14080411&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:06 AM
What would be the purpose of signing Trotter and Hartwell? They are both MLBs.

Count Zarth
03-04-2005, 08:06 AM

I think the Chiefs would rather sign Trotter at a cheaper price. He may be debating the issue.

KCFalcon59
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I'd rather have Hartwell than Trotter. I just really hope they sign someone today.

cron912
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
There are so many rumors flying around right now, we won't know what is really happening until the actual signings occur.

InChiefsHell
03-04-2005, 08:10 AM

Transition one of them into a Cornerback?? :shrug:

mlyonsd
03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Transition one of them into a Cornerback?? :shrug:

No, the job track goes Safety, then CB.

Chiefnj
Any word on the local radio about what is going on? Has Hartwell headed to breakfast with DV or the airport?

Dartgod
No, the job track goes Safety, then CB.

Beat me to it. :cuss:

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Any word on the local radio about what is going on? Has Hartwell headed to breakfast with DV or the airport?

Last reported on radio that Hartwell spent the night because he missed his plane not because its going so well. Nothing new this morning on either sports talk radio station.

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
810 update just now:

ty law in kc right now, along with others (bell and smith?).
hartwell originally had 13 teams interested. has narrowed it to kc and 3 others.
they say it looks like kc closest to getting deal with hartwell.

Warrior5
03-04-2005, 08:32 AM
810 update just now: ty law in kc right now, along with others (bell and smith?). hartwell originally had 13 teams interested. has narrowed it to kc and 3 others. they say it looks like kc closest to getting deal with hartwell.

As much as I hate to say this, it's realistic to assume that Hartwell will visit a few other teams before making a decision, regardless of what his agent said. Will make for a crappy weekend, and I hope I'm wrong.

...just trying to prevent some aneurysms on Planet.

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Quote: "Earlier in the day sources said the Chiefs wouldn’t let Trotter leave without signing on the dotted line."

This reminds me of the time I went to look at new cars, and I told the salesman that while I test drove a car, they could pull my old car in the garage and check it out to see how much they would give me for it as a trade-in. So I get back from the test drive, not ready to buy without looking at other dealers first, and the salesman, sales manager, and credit manager all start putting pressure on me to buy the car I test drove. After about 10 minutes of this, I said I just wanted my car back so I could leave, but they said it was up on the rack and they couldn't get it back to me yet. I got the feeling they were not going to allow me to physically leave the dealership without buying that car.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Chiefs purposely stalled to make sure those guys missed their planes. Now if they get them signed, that's great, but if it just pisses them off, it's pretty stupid.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Carl sent Rufus out to lay on the tarmac and delay all flights.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
I highly freaking doubt that the reason Hartwell stayed another night was because he missed a flight. The other team he was visiting would of been more than happy to put him on another flight I'm sure.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-04-2005, 08:49 AM
this article takes a stab at what the Chiefs offered Trotter

The latest on Trotter was he was still in Kansas City late last night, as his agent, Jimmy Sexton, tried to hammer out a deal with the Chiefs. Kansas City's offer is believed to average $4 million a year with a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $7 million.

http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1109927337308310.xml

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:51 AM
this article takes a stab at what the Chiefs offered Trotter 4mil a year 7 mil signing bonus

Trotter and his agent would be fools not to ink a 7 mil bonus. I can't believe Carl would offer that amount for a guy with 2 bad knees.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
It at least seems to me that Carl and company are working pretty hard on all of this with so many people coming in and holding people over....I can at least appreciate that.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I highly freaking doubt that the reason Hartwell stayed another night was because he missed a flight. The other team he was visiting would of been more than happy to put him on another flight I'm sure.

Yep.

jynni
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Quote: "Earlier in the day sources said the Chiefs wouldn’t let Trotter leave without signing on the dotted line."

Hmmm - Hartwell, Trotter, Rolle, Bell, Law - all these overnight stays. Do they all have them locked up at Arrowhead or something? Like "Big Brother", except with football players.

Maybe Carl's idea is to lure every free agent on the market to Arrowhead where they are never to be seen again. Kinda like a "if we can't sing them, no one can" mentality?

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
this article takes a stab at what the Chiefs offered Trotter

The latest on Trotter was he was still in Kansas City late last night, as his agent, Jimmy Sexton, tried to hammer out a deal with the Chiefs. Kansas City's offer is believed to average $4 million a year with a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $7 million.

Ugggghhhhh. Paying Trotter more than what Pierce got? That's why teams make mistakes in FA. They pay based on what the player has done for other teams in the past, as opposed to what a player will do for the new team in the future.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Yep.

How many evening flights are there from KC to Baltimore?

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
How many evening flights are there from KC to Baltimore?

Last I heard he was headed to Arizona, not Baltimore.

Brock
03-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd just poop my pants if all these players were signed.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Ugggghhhhh. Paying Trotter more than what Pierce got? That's why teams make mistakes in FA. They pay based on what the player has done for other teams in the past, as opposed to what a player will do for the new team in the future.

That's always the way it has been and always the way it will be.

Pierce, while good, had just one good year for the Skins.

BigChiefFan
03-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Trotter and Hartwell, are at this very minute still at Arrowhead!!! Just reported on am 810.

Count Zarth
03-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Soren Petro is on 810 NOW

KC Dan
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Trotter and Hartwell, are at this very minute still at Arrowhead!!! Just reported on am 810.
I could care less. What I would care about is if they have a signed contract in their hands. They might as well be surfing in Sri Lanka. It means almost nothing if using past Chiefs performance on signing FA's means anything.

Coach
03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
What the hell are they trying to say?

foxman
03-04-2005, 10:11 AM
We don't want Trotter. Hartwell IMO would be a better player to sign.

TRR
03-04-2005, 10:27 AM

Keep us updated.

It's odd, but KC looks to be interested in signing both. Maybe they believe Hartwell can play on the outside? I thought we would sign one or the other, but it sounds like they are wanting both...And Samari Rolle.

Brock
03-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Going to a 3-4?

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I could care less. What I would care about is if they have a signed contract in their hands. They might as well be surfing in Sri Lanka. It means almost nothing if using past Chiefs performance on signing FA's means anything.

Brilliant.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Going to a 3-4?

I thought the same thing.

TRR
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Going to a 3-4?

I don't believe so. It crossed my mind until I heard that Shawn Barber is going to start the season on the PUP list. I don't think KC is wanting to trust Mitchell, Beisel, Caver or Fox with a starting LB spot if Barber is indeed going to miss a lot of playing time.

Going into the season, we had one healthy MLB (who was really an OLB, converted from a DE) in Monty Beisel. I don't think they will make that mistake again. Our LB corp was torn apart last season. We just have no depth.

Woodrow Call
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Keep us updated.

It's odd, but KC looks to be interested in signing both. Maybe they believe Hartwell can play on the outside? I thought we would sign one or the other, but it sounds like they are wanting both...And Samari Rolle.

I read that the idea is to have Hartwell on the outside. I just want to know how the Chiefs plan to pay for this. Rolle=12mill signing bonus, Hartwell=10mill signing bonus, and Trotter=7mill signing bonus. That is a lot of money.

I afraid this is just the biggest tease of all time. I am scarred of Smith being our CB signing and some LB like Polley as our LB signing.

Im not sure I could stomach a letdown like that.

bkkcoh
03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
<a href="http://www.profootballcentral.com/" target="_blank">Chiefs Closing In On Trotter</a>

The Kansas City Chiefs and free agent middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter are very close to reaching an agreement as early as Friday afternoon. Rumors circulating the medical condition of the Pro Bowl middle linebacker are 100% untrue and Trotter would not have taken a physical if he didn't think he could pass. Trotter was scheduled to leave KC Thursday night to visit with Seattle but the Chiefs had him stay and extra night to work on a salary bonus which makes this deal very close to being finalized.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
If we signed both Trotter and Hartwell, I would imagine Hartwell would go to WLB with FUJ at SLB.

While I don't there would be a team in the NFL that could run on us with those linebackers, I think our pass defense would take a beating.

But if we got both, there is zero chance that Barber sticks around.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Chiefs Closing In On Trotter (http://www.profootballcentral.com/)

The Kansas City Chiefs and free agent middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter are very close to reaching an agreement as early as Friday afternoon. Rumors circulating the medical condition of the Pro Bowl middle linebacker are 100% untrue and Trotter would not have taken a physical if he didn't think he could pass. Trotter was scheduled to leave KC Thursday night to visit with Seattle but the Chiefs had him stay and extra night to work on a salary bonus which makes this deal very close to being finalized.

Then Trotter is leaving because Pro Football Central hasn't broken any news stories ever.

They are 0-2 with Rolle and Dillon.

TRR
03-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I read that the idea is to have Hartwell on the outside. I just want to know how the Chiefs plan to pay for this. Rolle=12mill signing bonus, Hartwell=10mill signing bonus, and Trotter=7mill signing bonus. That is a lot of money.

I afraid this is just the biggest tease of all time. I am scarred of Smith being our CB signing and some LB like Polley as our LB signing.

One thing I struggle with is learning the details of the cap, etc. But I thought that the signing bonus had no impact on our cap status. So as long as Lamar Hunt is willing to open up his wallet, then we can afford these guys.

siberian khatru
03-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Going to a 3-4?

Who's the NT?

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 10:37 AM
One thing I struggle with is learning the details of the cap, etc. But I thought that the signing bonus had no impact on our cap status. So as long as Lamar Hunt is willing to open up his wallet, then we can afford these guys.

Well it does have an impact. The signing bonus is straight cash from Lamar's pocket, but say each guy gets a 5 year deal (12 million SB for Rolle, 10 for Hartwell, 7 for Trotter) then the cap hits from the signing bonus would be about 5.5 million on the cap. This isn't including base salaries.

I would have to believe that Morton and Barber would be cut to facilitate such moves and 2 or 3 Chiefs would have to restructure to make this happen.

bkkcoh
Then Trotter is leaving because Pro Football Central hasn't broken any news stories ever.

They are 0-2 with Rolle and Dillon.

A blind squirrell finds a nut every once in a while, doesn't he??? :p

Coach
Who's the NT?

I would think Junior might be.

The Bad Guy
Who's the NT?

I'd give it to Dalton.

TRR
<a href="http://www.profootballcentral.com/" target="_blank">Chiefs Closing In On Trotter</a>

That same page has Rolle signing with the Redskins. As far as I know, Rolle hasn't even met with the Redskins yet, and is at home pondering KC's offer.

I don't believe that site one bit.

BigChiefFan

I can't take it any other way, but it being good news, that both MLBers are still in town. I even considered that maybe Rolle is already in the bag and they just don't want to announce it, so it's not a distraction for other negotiations-Just a theory. I'm damn glad that 48 hours later both Trotter and Hartwell are still in town. That's encouraging.

tyton75
No way are we going to a 3-4 with the 23 defensive lineman that we seem to have on the team

David.
03-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Didn't gunther run something like a 3-4 with DT at the Falcon spot? I don't know if it'd work now, since we really don't have a dominate pass rusher, though I think Fujita's speed could be something to look at off the edge.

Coach
03-04-2005, 10:39 AM
No way are we going to a 3-4 with the 23 defensive lineman that we seem to have on the team

Maybe a 6 DL, 1 MLB, 4 DB's?

Rausch
03-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I thought the same thing.

I'd love it. Freaking wet myself.

But we don't have the CB's or Defensive ends to play that scheme. I don't think Hicks or Allen have the size or strenght required to be 3-4 ends. I think we might be able to get away with JR or Sims at DT.

I think the only lineman we have on roster who's played in a 3-4 is Browning... :hmmm:

siberian khatru

We'll just have to convert Sims and Browning to OLB. ;)

Count Zarth
Yeah, no way. AT 265 pounds Jared Allen isn't your typical 3-4 DE. Hicks is suited for it but our DT rotation is more suited for a 4-3 as well.

Not to mention we don't have the linebackers.

David.
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Definitely don't have the personnel. But god I'd love to have one of those stingy 3-4 defenses.

Count Zarth
03-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Definitely don't have the personnel. But god I'd love to have one of those stingy 3-4 defenses.

3-4 doesn't automatically make it stingy. How about just stingy, period?

Woodrow Call
03-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Wouldnt a switch to a 3-4 pretty much negate the Chiefs best player on defense Jared Allen. He would be way to small to be an end in a 3-4 and I doubt he could line up at OLB.

My best 3-4 guess would be:

E-Hicks
NT-Savaii
E-Browning

OLB-Fujita
ILB-Trotter
ILB-Hartwell
OLB-?(Mitchell, Allen, Bell)

penchief
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Maybe a 6 DL, 1 MLB, 4 DB's?

Make that 6 DL, 1 MLB, and 4 safeties.