PDA

View Full Version : Trotter, Bell and Hartwell in high demand

Dave Lane
03-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Little information on the Chiefs efforts. does not look or sound good for Hartwell

Dave

Jay Glazer, FOXSports.com

As linemen fly off the market at a furious rate the linebacker position could be the next position to hit mind-boggling numbers. After the Houston Texans signed Marlon Greenwood to a deal that includes a whopping $7 million to sign, a trio of backers are seeking gold and the market may hit an interesting level.

Thursday, the Chiefs entertained Jeremiah Trotter, who passed his physical, and even brought in Kendrell Bell. They previously had Ed Hartwell in for a visit but his contract demands seem quite high according to several teams $10 million to sign and $6 million average.

The Eagles have an offer on the table for Trotter, whom they seriously wanted back. However, with the fear that the Chiefs have the inside track for the Pro Bowler's services the Eagles have scheduled to bring Bell into Philly on Friday evening.

Antonio Pierce has already signed with the Giants and received $6.5 million to sign. So these three backers are considered the best of the bunch still on the market. Several teams became nervous of Bell when rumors persisted at the scouting combine that he was getting $13 million to sign with the Giants a rumor that obviously turned out to be nothing short of bogus.

Round and round it goes, if they all price themselves out nobody knows.

beavis
03-04-2005, 08:07 AM
They previously had Ed Hartwell in for a visit but his contract demands seem quite high according to several teams $10 million to sign and $6 million average.

That's actually less than I thought it would be.

Dave Lane
03-04-2005, 08:13 AM
That's actually less than I thought it would be.

Pretty high for a MLB. They are more like $6 million and $4 million a year for a good one.

Dave

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I know the Chiefs need to upgrade, but I really don't think Hartwell is worth a 5 year $30 million contract that includes a $10 million bonus.

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I know the Chiefs need to upgrade, but I really don't think Hartwell is worth a 5 year $30 million contract that includes a $10 million bonus.

Well, it's either that, or Kawika Mitchell.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, it's either that, or Kawika Mitchell.

Or Bell, or Trotter, or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

HC_Chief
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Hartwell is the best MLB available. He's young, athletic, injury-free and can tackle like a mofo. He can pursue laterally or hit a gap straight-up. That mkes him #1 on the FA LB list.... which means he will command the highest salary.

If we're serious about fixing the gawdawful _efense, we'll get a deal done before letting these players leave town.

Hell, cut the pillowbiter today if you need cap room.

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Or Bell, or Trotter, or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

Of those options, I'd probably take Odell Thurman in the 2nd. Of course, we still need a OLB.

I think you gotta pay Hartwell at this point.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 08:31 AM

I agree.

Dave Lane
03-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Of those options, I'd probably take Odell Thurman in the 2nd. Of course, we still need a OLB.

Negotiate to $8 and $5 million per year and get a deal inked now. I am liking Hartwell more and more.

Dave

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
I agree.

Someone is going to give Hartwell a $10 mil signing bonus and 5-6 mil a year. My as well be us.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:39 AM
If I were GM:

1. Get a deal done today with either Smoot or Rolle. That's the first priority and that is what will cost the most money and give you a better idea of what you have to work with for LB.

2. Get on the phone with Bradway and offer 2 second day picks for Cowart at MLB. He's got a base salary of 1.25 mil next year (and then one other year under contract) so you don't even have to worry about restructuring him immediately.

3. Start working on another CB who is better than Bartee and Battle and an OLB.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Someone is going to give Hartwell a $10 mil signing bonus and 5-6 mil a year. My as well be us.

Yep.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 08:49 AM
If I were GM:

1. Get a deal done today with either Smoot or Rolle. That's the first priority and that is what will cost the most money and give you a better idea of what you have to work with for LB.

2. Get on the phone with Bradway and offer 2 second day picks for Cowart at MLB. He's got a base salary of 1.25 mil next year (and then one other year under contract) so you don't even have to worry about restructuring him immediately.

3. Start working on another CB who is better than Bartee and Battle and an OLB.

Did you watch how bad Cowart was 2 years ago? He lost his job last year as well.

I wouldn't give up anything for him. He hasn't been the same since his achillies injury a couple years ago.

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
If I were GM:

Cowart hasn't been the same since he tore his Achilles a couple years ago. I don't know that he's a capable starter anymore.

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Did you watch how bad Cowart was 2 years ago? He lost his job last year as well.

I wouldn't give up anything for him. He hasn't been the same since his achillies injury a couple years ago.

Beat me to the punch.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM

He was bad because they moved him to OLB. He's a MLB.

shaneo69
03-04-2005, 08:56 AM

I think he played his best in Buffalo's 3-4 defense a couple years ago.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 08:59 AM
I think he played his best in Buffalo's 3-4 defense a couple years ago.

He was inside in the 3-4, like Hartwell.

Cowart looked really good at MLB for the Jets before getting dinged up. 11 tackles and 1 FF and held R. Johnson to 70 yards, week 2 they held Tomlinson to under 100 as well.

tyton75
03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
I think LB is our biggest concern.... I say you have to give Hartwell the money.. then maybe get another lower tier LB and mid level CB

bringbackmarty
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
what are the playoffs worth to ya?

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM

He lost his MLB job to Vilma last year.

He's horrible. He was a stud about 4 years ago, but he hasn't come close to that status since his injury.

Straight, No Chaser
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Negotiate to $8 and $5 million per year and get a deal inked now...

Pull the trigger on this guy. He's young(er) and he's definately "ascending".

A good (potentially great) middle linebacker isn't going to come cheap, not even in Kansas City. Forget "the art of the deal" Carl and get it done!

--->