PDA

View Full Version : KC Star's Teicher on 610 updating the FA situation

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Some of his comments (paraphrased) thanks to Sly:
Chiefs have Bell and Smith in. Losing Trotter was not a huge disappointment. Serious concern about his knees. Rolle has no other visits apparently. He said that the demands of the FAs yesterday were over market. CP is serious about trying to get some of these guys signed, but they are way over market right now. The fact that they haven't spent a ton of money right now does not mean they aren't serious. Chiefs are not in a poosition cap wise to set the market.

MORE:
Never the chiefs intent to sign both Hartwell and Trotter. Hartwell is their top choice and it would not surprise him to have Hartwell under contract by days end. Would not be surprise if they are able to sign Rolle over the Weekend. Chiefs are not really busy in the CB market right now except for Rolle. If Chiefs don't get one of the top FA, no matter what they do, there are a lot of people who are going to be unhappy

Cochise
03-04-2005, 03:20 PM
The fact that they haven't spent a ton of money right now does not mean they aren't serious.

teicher you BLASPHEMER!!!

vckcchiefs04
03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
A ton of money????????? How about at least one FREAKIN DOLLAR!!!!!! :cuss:

Nightfyre
03-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Holy shit... Bell, Hartwell, Smith Rolle anyone?

Bootlegged
03-04-2005, 03:24 PM
We will sign Hartwell. I doubt we sign any other top FA's. The Rolle deal will fall apart, as always, over cash.

Cheap pricks.

HolmeZz
03-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't think we'll sign more than 2 FAs. If so, we would have already signed SOMEONE by now.

bringbackmarty
03-04-2005, 03:25 PM
man i hope this pans out. we still get our guys. rolle, hartwell, best availible defensive in the draft. I hope davis falls, or rolle and rolle. Rolle, Rolle, Warfield, dwight Smith?or wesley, Harts, not Woods, Fujita, Hartwell, Barber or Biesel, Allen, Hicks, Sims or Browning, Siavii. There's you opening day defense. hope it's enough.

eazyb81
03-04-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't think we'll sign more than 2 FAs. If so, we would have already signed SOMEONE by now.

I would be fine with only two if those two were Hartwell and Rolle. Those two are arguably the two best defensive free agents so it would be hard to top that.

KCTitus
Thanks for the update BRC...sounds encouraging anyway.

tyton75
I wouldn't be suprised if we get one of these guys now.. then maybe as FA rolls on.. get a couple midlevel guys.. then maybe one more after June 1st cuts..

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the update BRC...sounds encouraging anyway.

Stolen from Sly on another BB. He's the typist. I just rip him off and post it here. :)

Stinger
03-04-2005, 03:33 PM
It sounds encourraging but this part has me worried given Carl's tightwad past

CP is serious about trying to get some of these guys signed, but they are way over market right now .

Shag
03-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Agreed 100%. I think Carl's "market value" is a little different from the rest of the league's, unfortunately...

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Given what some guys (ie. Grant Wistrom) got last year, I think there's at least some truth to it. That, COMBINED with the fact that Carl is a notorious cheapster, is definitely a concern.

Chiefnj
03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
When your two top prospects have left town - it's not a good sign.

Tuckdaddy
03-04-2005, 03:50 PM
We never have damn money. Always Carl's answer. "They want too much money"

Of course they do Carl! They're good players you schmuck!

TRR
03-04-2005, 04:09 PM
We can't get a LB under contract, but Oakland can sign Moss, Woodson, Lamont Jordan, Porter and dish out past contracts to guys like Warren Sapp, etc??

It is time to open the pocket book up.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Carl's problem is that he thinks it's still 1999 again and the market hasn't taken a huge swing.

I'm just sick of him. He brings in all these guys - everyone gets excited - and then we hear that they all wanted "too much money."

Well genius, look around. Do you think Samari Rolle is going to sign for less than what Ken Lucas got? No chance. Do you think Hartwell is going to be content with a deal less than Antonio Pierce? No way.

If the Chiefs don't get a top FA to help the defense, then yeah, he's right, no one is going to be happy.

Teams that haven't made the playoffs in 13 years should be more urgent about things than they are. But this is the Chiefs - a second class front office run by an owner who's content with letting other owners hold the trophy baring his name.

What did Peterson think? Players were going to take less to be Chiefs? The only teams players will take less to play for are their own teams and the New England Patriots.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
We can't get a LB under contract, but Oakland can sign Moss, Woodson, Lamont Jordan, Porter and dish out past contracts to guys like Warren Sapp, etc??

It's time for Lamar Hunt to sell the team.

Ari Chi3fs
03-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Dude. CARL... Listen, man. Give the ****ers a 12-14 signing bonus over 5 years.

Give them Vet minimum salary this year. And break the bank after you are run out of town, and GM of San Diego.

Tribal Warfare
It's quite simple King Carl truly doesn't care about the GM side of his job. Peterson's just concerned in fielding a barely competitive team that might go to the playoffs to fill the stands.

Marada
Given what some guys (ie. Grant Wistrom) got last year, I think there's at least some truth to it. That, COMBINED with the fact that Carl is a notorious cheapster, is definitely a concern.

If Carl is so cheap, then how come we don't have 31 million to spend like the Vikings? Maybe he hasn't chosen wiselt in the past but don't think we can hang cheap out there.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2005, 04:17 PM
no matter what they do, there are a lot of people who are going to be unhappy

**** him,Dawes and anyone else that spouts this BS

my pet peeve :mad:

TEX
03-04-2005, 04:18 PM

Yep. That's the ONLY way anything will happen.

BigChiefFan
03-04-2005, 04:18 PM

It is time to open the pocket book up.That really is frustrating. Granted they dumped a bunch of players, but there is no denying they are trying to make some moves. There are a few teams out there that have made multiple signings and here we are.

Stinger
03-04-2005, 04:39 PM
As the day goes on I am less and less assured of the situation. Part of me is always the optomist, but the smaller pessimst side is creeping larger an larger thinking that in Carls mind that we only need to sign one FA at this time to appease the masses with the line of "since everyone wanted more than market value this is what we got."

Logical
03-04-2005, 04:43 PM
If Carl is so cheap, then how come we don't have 31 million to spend like the Vikings? Maybe he hasn't chosen wiselt in the past but don't think we can hang cheap out there.

Because though he will not pay for top talent, he will overpay a Hicks, Bartee, Warfield etc.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Because though he will not pay for top talent, he will overpay a Hicks, Bartee, Warfield etc.

Carlton Gray, Dan Williams, Johnnie Morton, Jerome Woods, Greg Wesley, John Browning, Shawn Barber.

ChiefsCountry
03-04-2005, 04:46 PM
It's time for Lamar Hunt to sell the team.

Lamar is the only reason we have a freaking team to begin with. He is a class act. He gives a damn about the team but isn't going to give out the jack that some stupid owners like Al Davis, Jerry Jones, and Dan Snyder do.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Lamar is the only reason we have a freaking team to begin with. He is a class act. He gives a damn about the team but isn't going to give out the jack that some stupid owners like Al Davis, Jerry Jones, and Dan Snyder do.

Yeah, Jones is so stupid that he won 3 straight titles.

I wish Lamar Hunt was that stupid.

Clint in Wichita
03-04-2005, 04:55 PM
If the Chiefs don't make a serious effort to upgrade the defense through free agency this offseason, I'm through with the team until Peterson is gone, whenever that may be.

I could barely force myself to sit through the plethora of shit games last season, and I will not do it again.

UPGRADE THE FUGGIN' DEFENSE YOU ASSHOLE!!!

Peterson should feel physically ill when he watches the defense get torched like the Washington Generals...even when facing mediocre-at-best opponents.

Instead, it's like he doesn't really care.

What's with this "We'd like to sign him, but he's too expensive" B.S.?

The owner is fuggin multi-billionaire, and every team must adhere to a salary cap. No player in the league is "too expensive". The Chiefs are simply too cheap.

Clint in Wichita
03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, Jones is so stupid that he won 3 straight titles.

I wish Lamar Hunt was that stupid.

Even a crazy low-life like Al Davis has had more success in this league than Hunt.

whoman69
03-04-2005, 07:20 PM
The number of FAs signed so far is pretty low. Three days into FA with most of our top guys still out there and the board is blowing up. I certainly don't think that Carl has done a good job lately, but to bag on him for something that hasn't happened yet is a bit much.

milkman
03-04-2005, 07:47 PM
The number of FAs signed so far is pretty low. Three days into FA with most of our top guys still out there and the board is blowing up. I certainly don't think that Carl has done a good job lately, but to bag on him for something that hasn't happened yet is a bit much.

Regardless of the number of players that have been signed, other teams have targeted players they want, got them into town for a visit, and gotten them signed.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs have let every player they've talked to leave town.

If they've left town, then the likelyhood of getting any of those players signed decreases substantially.

So, my guess is you can say goodbye to Hartwell, Rolle, Bell, Smith, et al, and hello to the 32nd second ranked D in '05.

Uncle Fester
03-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I can't wait till CP get's the hell out of here! He doesn't know FA talent, doesn't want to know. He would rather gamble the Chiefs future on also rans, nobody's, and people he thinks are the real deal.

Carl is a worn out has been that needs to go. He is stuck in 1995. He doesn't realize how much it costs to field a real team. Look at his record folks. We have either had a fine or good or awesome offense or defense. Never a fine or good or awesome combination.

Carl, go the **** away with DV this next offseason!

We are not going to field a balanced team with our current situation.
Just needed to vent my frustration! :banghead::mad::banghead::mad::cuss::cuss:

milkman
03-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I can't wait till CP get's the hell out of here! He doesn't know FA talent, doesn't want to know. He would rather gamble the Chiefs future on also rans, nobody's, and people he thinks are the real deal.

Carl is a worn out has been,never was, that needs to go. He is stuck in 1995. He doesn't realize how much it costs to field a real team. Look at his record folks. We have either had a fine or good or awesome offense or defense. Never a fine or good or awesome combination.

Carl, go the **** away with DV this next offseason!

We are not going to field a balanced team with our current situation.
Just needed to vent my frustration! :banghead::mad::banghead::mad::cuss::cuss:

I fixed that one line for you.

Uncle Fester
03-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the help! :thumb::)ROFL:banghead::cuss::mad::p:deevee::clap:

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Regardless of the number of players that have been signed, other teams have targeted players they want, got them into town for a visit, and gotten them signed.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs have let every player they've talked to leave town.

If they've left town, then the likelyhood of getting any of those players signed decreases substantially.

So, my guess is you can say goodbye to Hartwell, Rolle, Bell, Smith, et al, and hello to the 32nd second ranked D in '05.

Yeah, that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

Manila-Chief
03-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Even a crazy low-life like Al Davis has had more success in this league than Hunt.

Clint, Bad Guy,

Hunt did it once! In the mid to late 60's he put pressure on the organization to win and paid enough to steal great talent away from the old NFL.... guess what? It worked!!!

But, since the Jack Steadman (sp?) days Lamar seems to be more concerned with the almighty $$$. I’m not asking him to spend out of his own savings account ($$$ billions) but to use some of the profits he put in his pockets from last year. He is suppose to be in this stuff for the sport of it not as a profit making venture. If he would do that he will make even more money and we will all be happy!!!!!!!

It is beginning to look like we will not win another S.B. until the owner steps up and demands it. Yes, it may have to be another owner. Now, I know all owners say they want to win a S.B. but the 3 mentioned in this thread put pressure on the F.O. and team to win.

I don't like either Al Davis nor Jerry Jones (dislike Jones more for what he did to Landry) but you got to give them credit ... they make an effort to win and that is why they have won a playoff game since we have.

Synder has not won ... but if I were a Redskins fan I would applaud his efforts. At least he wants a trophy!!! I really think Kingless doesn’t care. All he wants is seats filled ...

TRR ... you said it well ... some of the other teams manage to sign the players they think they need. No, they may not spend wisely and/or the players may not work out ... but they make the decisions about their needs and go fill them. Bottom line ... they act instead of offering excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Trotter was never a serious choice to sign with us. But, the others are. No, Kingless can't sign them all but he can target a couple or 3 and get the job done. He can cut some dead wood (maybe in the literal sense as well) and have the money.....

Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!