PDA

View Full Version : CHIEFS EXPECT DEAL WITH SAMARI ROLLE - From Goggle news 29mins ago

nychief
03-04-2005, 08:10 PM
I am REALLY sorry if this is a repost.....

Chiefs expect a deal with Samari Rolle

BY ADAM TEICHER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - (KRT) - The Chiefs were optimistic Friday that their recruiting efforts in free-agency would bring a contract agreement with cornerback Samari Rolle.

The parties were making progress toward a long-term deal the Chiefs hope would at long last solidify the position.

"I think we're close," coach Dick Vermeil said. "We have a very good opportunity there. But there are also some medical things that have to be cleared up. This doesn't mean some other team won't step in and sign him before we do. It's never done until a contract is signed."

The Chiefs weren't making as much progress in their effort to sign a linebacker. One prospect, Philadelphia's Jeremiah Trotter, refused their offer and re-signed with the Eagles. The Chiefs were talking with the agent for Baltimore's Ed Hartwell, but no deal appeared imminent.

The Chiefs on Friday also concluded free-agent visits with Pittsburgh linebacker Kendrell Bell and Tampa Bay defensive back Dwight Smith.

The Chiefs want to be sure of Rolle's physical status because a contract with him would almost certainly include a signing bonus of more than $10 million. Seattle's Ken Lucas, another top free-agent cornerback, received a reported bonus of $13 million when he signed this week with Carolina.

Rolle was remarkably durable for most of his seven seasons with the Tennessee Titans but missed five games late last season because of a left knee injury. He had arthroscopic surgery at the end of the season.

Vermeil wouldn't be more specific about Rolle's medical status other than to say the knee wasn't the issue.

"You can find something on an MRI on just about anybody if they've played any time at all in the National Football League," he said.

Rolle and his wife, Danisha, concluded their visit to Kansas City on Thursday by having dinner with Vermeil.

"They appeared very excited," Vermeil said. "They appeared very, very sincere. It's just a matter of getting it done and getting him cleared medically."

Rolle would join Eric Warfield as a starting cornerback. Dexter McCleon, William Bartee, Julian Battle and possibly a draft pick would compete in training camp to be the nickel back.

Trotter returned to the Eagles for a contract that reportedly will pay him $15 million over five years and includes a signing bonus of $4 million. Vermeil indicated the Chiefs' final offer topped that but said he wasn't surprised Trotter accepted Philadelphia's offer.

"He said when he got here that's what he wanted to do," Vermeil said. "But he said he would move on if they weren't going to pay him.

"I really enjoyed the guy. He's a man, a tough guy, a physical guy. He's got some powerful leadership qualities that would have added a dimension to our defense if he had decided to come here."

Bell and Hartwell remained unsigned Friday night. Bell also has physical issues. He flunked his physical with the Giants because of arthritis in his shoulder, though he passed the same exam with the Chiefs.

Hartwell arrived Friday in Arizona to begin a visit with the Cardinals. The Chiefs' negotiations with Rolle could limit their ability to sign either player.

"We're trying to get three football players and not one," Vermeil said, referring to the Chiefs' desire to sign a linebacker and two defensive backs. "We've got to divide the pot up."

The Chiefs had no planned free-agent visits over the weekend. They were trying to arrange a meeting with Dolphins safety Sammy Knight for next week.

---

4th and Long
03-04-2005, 08:13 PM
"I read it on the web. It MUST be true!"

nychief
03-04-2005, 08:14 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11055527.htm

HolmeZz
03-04-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't know why it takes us so long to get deals done. Seems like we're the only team like that.

DenverChief
03-04-2005, 08:15 PM
NOW thats some news

BigChiefFan
03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
About time a decent article came out.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
"We're trying to get three football players and not one," Vermeil said, referring to the Chiefs' desire to sign a linebacker and two defensive backs. "We've got to divide the pot up."

:hmmm:

4th and Long
03-04-2005, 08:17 PM
"I think we're close," coach Dick Vermeil said. "We have a very good opportunity there. But there are also some medical things that have to be cleared up. This doesn't mean some other team won't step in and sign him before we do. It's never done until a contract is signed."

Sure-Oz
03-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Seems like Rolle is as good as ours, but Hartwell??

Bootlegged
03-04-2005, 08:20 PM
1 healthy Samari Rolle is better than 3 mid-tier FA's. I'll take it.

Nzoner
03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
HEY BARTENDER...........

Pants
03-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Phobia been saying that shit all day long. Rolle and Bell.

Oregon chief
03-04-2005, 08:25 PM
What about going after miami's sammy knight

Bootlegged
03-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Sammy Knight? Hmmm, I guess they really do want to replace Woods/Wesley.

LiL stumppy
03-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Grrr I just want to see someone signed. :banghead:

paulgkc
03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks you Jesus. Fingers crossed that no team "signs him before we do." :rolleyes:

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
The fact that Lamar Hunt has a set budget really fires me up. You mean to tell me Hunt couldn't take a million or 2 out of his 2.6 billion dollar net worth to get an Ed Hartwell in here?

Rolle is a great start - if it happens, judging by Vermeil's "a team could snatch him up before we do" nonsense tells me that there is a possibility it might not.

But the Vermeil Chiefs have had this "we have to divide the pot up" garbage for 4 years now. Shawn Barber, Vonnie Holliday and McCleon made zero impact on this defense. We are in the position we are with this defense by settling for 3 lesser players instead of going after the stud.

Stinger
03-04-2005, 08:32 PM
HEY BARTENDER...........

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Rep

4th and Long
03-04-2005, 08:33 PM
The fact that Lamar Hunt has a set budget really fires me up. You mean to tell me Hunt couldn't take a million or 2 out of his 2.6 billion dollar net worth to get an Ed Hartwell in here?
It's not about Lamars budget. It's about this thing called a salary cap. Perhaps youve heard of it?

ARROW2
03-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey 4th and long......niiiiiiiiice pic. Gets my mind off of this shit a little....

LiL stumppy
03-04-2005, 08:34 PM
It's not about Lamars budget. It's about this thing called a salary cap. Perhaps youve heard of it?

Lamar can still give Peterson some more money can't he?

Mr. Laz
03-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Lamar can still give Peterson some more money can't he?

if he wants to

siberian khatru
03-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I didn't realize Bell's shoulder was an issue. That's on top of a really bad groin problem.

eazyb81
03-04-2005, 08:37 PM
IMO, Sammy Knight takes too many chances, I don't really think he would be much of an upgrade over our safeties. If we signed him we would have to sign another cover safety to even out his weaknesses.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 08:37 PM

No, never heard of it. Thanks for the update.

It's not the salary cap. The cap can be worked around, perhaps you have heard of teams doing that?

Do you mean to tell me if it came down to Ed Hartwell signing that the Chiefs couldn't get 2 overpriced bums to reduce their base salary? You can always restructure around the cap, but the signing bonuses is where the budget comes in.

It's about up front money. We had 7 mill in cap space last year unused because Lamar was "cashed out". But yet he still made a big profit on the Chiefs last year.

Oregon chief
03-04-2005, 08:38 PM
what the deal with mazlowski is he gonna be ready for next season or what

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 08:40 PM
what the deal with mazlowski is he gonna be ready for next season or what

I hope to god that he just retires. Maz on 2 knees wasn't good, Maz on one knee is down right pitiful.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Just think how much more of the pie we would be able to shell out if the Chiefs FO wasn't a pack of dumbasses by giving contract extensions to Browning, Hicks, and Jerome Woods.

Sure-Oz
03-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Just think how much more of the pie we would be able to shell out if the Chiefs FO wasn't a pack of dumbasses by giving contract extensions to Browning, Hicks, and Jerome Woods.
lmfao no shit :thumb:

Bwana
03-04-2005, 08:47 PM
I hope to god that he just retires. Maz on 2 knees wasn't good, Maz on one knee is down right pitiful.

I agree with that. He never was a ball of fire in his "prime." Good guy, great team player and all that happy horse crap, but he needs to drift off into the sunset.

TEX
03-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Wow. Looks like DV is making some progress in that he didn't say that Rolle would "compete" for a position.

ZootedGranny
03-04-2005, 08:55 PM
There isn't an excuse the FO can give me that would make me believe they couldn't sign Rolle and then either Bell or Hartwell.

On the defensive side of the ball, there aren't too many players that deserve the salary they're making, or can't be replaced by someone of similar talent for a much cheaper price. And I'm honestly wondering what the **** Morton is still doing as a Chief. He hasn't done much, and he doesn't seem to want to be here. He's sucking up cap space.

We've sucked in salary cap hell, and we've sucked with cap space to spare. Lamar Hunt needs to come up out his pocket and pay a couple of large signing bonuses. I doubt FAs are coming in and demanding large base salaries, they all want that instant gratification of a big bonus in their bank account.

TEX
03-04-2005, 09:01 PM
There isn't an excuse the FO can give me that would make me believe they couldn't sign Rolle and then either Bell or Hartwell.

On the defensive side of the ball, there aren't too many players that deserve the salary they're making, or can't be replaced by someone of similar talent for a much cheaper price. And I'm honestly wondering what the **** Morton is still doing as a Chief. He hasn't done much, and he doesn't seem to want to be here. He's sucking up cap space.

We've sucked in salary cap hell, and we've sucked with cap space to spare. Lamar Hunt needs to come up out his pocket and pay a couple of large signing bonuses. I doubt FAs are coming in and demanding large base salaries, they all want that instant gratification of a big bonus in their bank account.

If Morton is going to be released, it will be after June 1 so the cap hit would be spread out over 2 years rather than 1. So, it's pretty simple why he's still on the team when you think about it.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:19 PM
If Morton is going to be released, it will be after June 1 so the cap hit would be spread out over 2 years rather than 1. So, it's pretty simple why he's still on the team when you think about it.

Yep.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2005, 09:24 PM

bullchit

and it case you missed this post ... read it again
No, never heard of it. Thanks for the update.

It's not the salary cap. The cap can be worked around, perhaps you have heard of teams doing that?

Do you mean to tell me if it came down to Ed Hartwell signing that the Chiefs couldn't get 2 overpriced bums to reduce their base salary? You can always restructure around the cap, but the signing bonuses is where the budget comes in.

It's about up front money. We had 7 mill in cap space last year unused because Lamar was "cashed out". But yet he still made a big profit on the Chiefs last year.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
bullchit

and it case you missed this post ... read it again

Exactly.

It's never been about the cap. Carl is actually pretty good at working the cap.

It's about the CASH, and the fact that when we DO spend cash, we spend it on the wrong guys.

Logical
03-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Wow. Looks like DV is making some progress in that he didn't say that Rolle would "compete" for a position.:thumb:

The Bad Guy
03-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Let me just say that if Samari Rolle signs elsewhere it will be the nail in the coffin for this off-season for me.

The Chiefs haven't had a true shutdown corner since James Hasty back in 1997 and we have the chance to get one. 15 mil SB is high, but he's a top 5 corner Bailey, Surtain, Law(if healthy), McAllister are the only ones better and he's young enough to be around for quite a while.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-04-2005, 09:52 PM
We do spend the cash, but we could spend a lot more than we do.

Lamar isn't going to be able to take that money with him when he dies.

keg in kc
03-04-2005, 09:53 PM
After Ken Lucas gets 14 million, I don't see how Rolle doesn't deserve 15.

And I've been arguing for years with people about Lamar being conservative. Everybody blames it on Carl. I blame it on Lamar. Carl handles the cap the way he's directed to, he's given a "cash" number to work with. That's why I don't blame him for the team seeming "cheap" at times.

Now player evaluation, confrontational relationships with agents and the media...that's another matter.

Sure-Oz
03-04-2005, 09:53 PM
We do spend the cash, but we could spend a lot more than we do.

Lamar isn't going to be able to take that money with him when he dies.
exactly

Chiefs Pantalones
03-04-2005, 09:59 PM
After Ken Lucas gets 14 million, I don't see how Rolle doesn't deserve 15.

And I've been arguing for years with people about Lamar being conservative. Everybody blames it on Carl. I blame it on Lamar. Carl handles the cap the way he's directed to, he's given a "cash" number to work with. That's why I don't blame him for the team seeming "cheap" at times.

Now player evaluation, confrontational relationships with agents and the media...that's another matter.

Yep.

It all starts up top, and works its way down, IMO.

SoCalRaider
03-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Not really, except when I'm surrounded by Chiefs fans... ROFL

Mr. Laz
03-04-2005, 10:21 PM
After Ken Lucas gets 14 million

part of the problem

why didn't we sign Rolle BEFORE this high market hit

btw- agreed about Lamar, he shoulders at least part of the blame. Either he is setting the money restrictions or he doesn't care enough enough about winning to change carl's money restrictions.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-04-2005, 10:26 PM
part of the problem

why didn't we sign Rolle BEFORE this high market hit

btw- agreed about Lamar, he shoulders at least part of the blame. Either he is setting the money restrictions or he doesn't care enough enough about winning to change carl's money restrictions.

That's the same either way, Laz. If he's setting money restrictions then I don't think he cares that much about the winning part, just the profit, i.e.- filling the seats.

Personally, IMO, Lamar hasn't really cared that much about winning in a while, but I'm still a fan because I hope one day they will break out of it.

Count Zarth
03-04-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm still a fan because I hope one day they will break out of it.

Jumping ship is lame, anyway.