PDA

View Full Version : KC Star - Rolle ‘close' to signing with Chiefs

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Rolle ‘close' to signing with Chiefs

Team optimistic cornerback will agree to long-term deal

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs were optimistic Friday that their recruiting efforts in free-agency would bring a contract agreement with cornerback Samari Rolle.

The parties were making progress toward a long-term deal the Chiefs hope would at long last solidify the position.

“I think we're close,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “We have a very good opportunity there. But there are also some medical things that have to be cleared up. This doesn't mean some other team won't step in and sign him before we do. It's never done until a contract is signed.”

The Chiefs weren't making as much progress in their effort to sign a linebacker. One prospect, Philadelphia's Jeremiah Trotter, refused their offer and re-signed with the Eagles. The Chiefs were talking with the agent for Baltimore's Ed Hartwell, but no deal appeared imminent.

The Chiefs on Friday also concluded free-agent visits with Pittsburgh linebacker Kendrell Bell and Tampa Bay defensive back Dwight Smith.

The Chiefs want to be sure of Rolle's physical status because a contract with him would almost certainly include a signing bonus of more than $10 million. Seattle's Ken Lucas, another top free-agent cornerback, received a reported bonus of $13 million when he signed this week with Carolina.

Rolle was remarkably durable for most of his seven seasons with the Tennessee Titans but missed five games late last season because of a left knee injury. He had arthroscopic surgery at the end of the season.

Vermeil wouldn't be more specific about Rolle's medical status other than to say the knee wasn't the issue.

“You can find something on an MRI on just about anybody if they've played any time at all in the National Football League,” he said.

Rolle and his wife, Danisha, concluded their visit to Kansas City on Thursday by having dinner with Vermeil.

“They appeared very excited,” Vermeil said. “They appeared very, very sincere. It's just a matter of getting it done and getting him cleared medically.”

Rolle would join Eric Warfield as a starting cornerback. Dexter McCleon, William Bartee, Julian Battle and possibly a draft pick would compete in training camp to be the nickel back.

Trotter returned to the Eagles for a contract that reportedly will pay him $15 million over five years and includes a signing bonus of $4 million. Vermeil indicated the Chiefs' final offer topped that but said he wasn't surprised Trotter accepted Philadelphia's offer.

“He said when he got here that's what he wanted to do,” Vermeil said. “But he said he would move on if they weren't going to pay him.

“I really enjoyed the guy. He's a man, a tough guy, a physical guy. He's got some powerful leadership qualities that would have added a dimension to our defense if he had decided to come here.”

Bell and Hartwell remained unsigned Friday night. Bell also has physical issues. He flunked his physical with the Giants because of arthritis in his shoulder, though he passed the same exam with the Chiefs.

Hartwell arrived Friday in Arizona to begin a visit with the Cardinals. The Chiefs' negotiations with Rolle could limit their ability to sign either player.

“We're trying to get three football players and not one,” Vermeil said, referring to the Chiefs' desire to sign a linebacker and two defensive backs. “We've got to divide the pot up.”

The Chiefs had no planned free-agent visits over the weekend. They were trying to arrange a meeting with Dolphins safety Sammy Knight for next week.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Close....

Why not "Chiefs on a Rolle!"

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Rolle would join Eric Warfield as a starting cornerback. Dexter McCleon, William Bartee, Julian Battle and possibly a draft pick would compete in training camp to be the nickel back.

“We're trying to get three football players and not one,” Vermeil said.

Both good things to hear.

petegz28
03-05-2005, 01:06 AM
DV says...
"This doesn't mean some other team won't step in and sign him before we do. It's never done until a contract is signed"

That's the part I don't like. Sounds almost like a set-up for a let down. But that is probably just my pessimism speaking at this point.

chappy
03-05-2005, 01:06 AM
We need to move our A** 's and sign Rolle, Bell, and D. Smith

DenverChief
03-05-2005, 01:08 AM

I think it is going to be 2 LB's and a CB ...if it is 2 CB's I'd put my money on a Surtian trade cause the Chiefs could dictate the contract in the trade

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:08 AM
I'd rather have Hartwell over Bell... but I would raise hell if we got Bell.

Nightfyre
03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Im still all about Fujita, Hartwell, Bell, Dalton, and Allen creating a ton of pressure up front. We need Rolle to make that happen tho. Who knows, maybe with a decent secondary hicks and/or sims/siavii will get in on the action.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:43 AM
That'd be nice.

Did I read somewhere recently where the Donks were going to a 3-4 D?

Rausch
03-05-2005, 02:01 AM
While CB is by far our weakest area, the news that we aren't really close to locking up ANY LB is...well...frustrating.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-05-2005, 02:15 AM
How old is Rolle, btw?

booger
03-05-2005, 02:25 AM
will be 29 by the time the season starts IIRC.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-05-2005, 02:27 AM

I see.

Are you or anyone concerned about his longevity since 30 is almost here for him? How much longer do you think he could play CB at a pro bowl level, or get back to the pro bowl level?

Nightfyre
03-05-2005, 02:27 AM
I see.

Are you or anyone concerned about his longevity since 30 is almost here for him? How much longer do you think he could play CB at a pro bowl level, or get back to the pro bowl level?
who cares... I just want one year.

booger
03-05-2005, 02:34 AM
I see.

Not really. would be nice if he were a year or two younger. He has been pretty durable during his career. By looking at him, his body type (tall lanky and long arms) reminds me of Dale Carter. He isn't frail by any means but he isn't a well built Hasty type of corner either, not many are.

If we land him, I hope we still Look at Dwight Smith. He was a nickel CB in tampa and replaced lynch at SS this year. I think we would look at him as a FS and playing some cb in the Nickel and maybe starting while Warfield sits out for his suspension. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us take another cb at #15 either.

DaWolf
03-05-2005, 04:23 AM
While CB is by far our weakest area, the news that we aren't really close to locking up ANY LB is...well...frustrating.
The chiefs probably set their priority at getting a top corner who could play Gun's press coverage competently. They probably believe if they can get the corners to do that, it would free the D up to do a lot of other things. Once they get that under wrap, I expect we'll see us move on a MLB, depending on how much we spent on said CB, which in this case sounds like Rolle...

Wile_E_Coyote
03-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Smith showed up at Arrowhead in a Chiefs Montana jersey & one of the linebackers (Bell?) showed up in a DT one. I wonder if they end up at the Goodwill Store of the City they sign with

ILChief
03-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Trotter was close too. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thig Lyfe
03-05-2005, 06:31 AM
all or nothing...

shaneo69
03-05-2005, 06:37 AM

Yeah, he's about 5 months younger than Warfield.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 06:42 AM
If it were a “guns or butter” scenario, I would rather have Hartwell than Rolle.
I like the thinking here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111487

If signing Rolle helps to get Hartwell, then color me a freshly-converted Rolle fan.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the long way round to the MLB he covets.

RedNeckRaider
03-05-2005, 06:49 AM
If it were a “guns or butter” scenario, I would rather have Hartwell than Rolle.
I like the thinking here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111487

If signing Rolle helps to get Hartwell, then color me a freshly-converted Rolle fan.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the long way round to the MLB he covets.

Great! now when I post a poll I have to type "Gazarus" instead of "Gaz"

~RNR~
working out his two fingers to get them in shape

Gaz
03-05-2005, 06:53 AM
RNR-

Apparently, my current screen name was a birthday gift. Let's hope that is not a trend. There are a whole lotta birthdays on the Planet...

I could not log onto the Planet from home [cookies disabled] until I remembered my [hopefully temporary] new handle.

You can still call me Gaz.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still a rose.

Tuckdaddy
03-05-2005, 06:58 AM
I don't get it. Rolle wants to sign so get him to do it. Hartwell wants to be a Chief, so make it happen. Go over the cap and then cut what have to. Holliday should have company.

RedNeckRaider
03-05-2005, 07:00 AM
RNR-

Apparently, my current screen name was a birthday gift. Let's hope that is not a trend. There are a whole lotta birthdays on the Planet...

I could not log onto the Planet from home [cookies disabled] until I remembered my [hopefully temporary] new handle.

You can still call me Gaz.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still a rose.

Cool

~RNR~
digging the special treatment from the wise one :)

Iowanian
03-05-2005, 08:13 AM
"Rolle would join Eric Warfield as a starting cornerback. Dexter McCleon, William Bartee, Julian Battle and possibly a draft pick would compete in training camp to be the nickel back."

I'd like to say that something in this last line irritates me. Bennie Sapp played better than all 3 of those other scrubs, yet doesn't get a mention.

Cochise
03-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Bennie Sapp played better than all 3 of those other scrubs, yet doesn't get a mention.

I agree, McCleon would play well sometimes but Sapp looked to me like the one most deserving of the job.

Wasn't McCleon playing safety for the Rams before he left? Maybe we could use him there?

Iowanian
03-05-2005, 08:22 AM
I know a position where all 3 of those guys would be the best for the Chiefs...........Shift manager at Wafflehouse.

StcChief
03-05-2005, 08:23 AM
McCleon did play safety and Corner for the Rams.

Sapp should be in the mix.

Iowanian
03-05-2005, 08:25 AM
McCleon's downside is that he doesn't do well in Run Support. He pulls a hit out of his hat on occasion, but not consistantly.

Pardon me, but I'd prefer a 200lb+ safety who likes contact. Both of our starters USED to be like that.

Bowser
03-05-2005, 08:25 AM
I know a position where all 3 of those guys would be the best for the Chiefs...........Shift manager at Wafflehouse.

Make that NIGHT shift on the weekends, and you've got a deal!

TRR
03-05-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm at the point now where I don't care who we sign as long as we sign someone. We could ink a new waterboy, and it would make my weekend. All this "close" to signing stuff has worn thin.

Cochise
03-05-2005, 08:56 AM
McCleon's downside is that he doesn't do well in Run Support. He pulls a hit out of his hat on occasion, but not consistantly.

Pardon me, but I'd prefer a 200lb+ safety who likes contact. Both of our starters USED to be like that.

Wesley can play the run. I think he takes a lot of unnecessary bashing around here.

Consistently over the past 2 or 3 years, I've seen defensive linemen and linebackers, as well as the corners miss tackles and Wesley finallly stop their progress.

How often have we seen a corner shrugged off after a weak tackle attempt, and Wesley finally making the stop or pushing them out? I can't tell you the number of times I have noticed someone get beat for a big gain, and then it's Wesley coming from all the way on the other side of the field chasing them down to save the TD.

Everyone wants to replace Woods, fine, he's getting up there in years and his game fell off some last year. But Wesley can start on a good defense and I think it's a mistake to spend cap money looking for a 'solution' at strong safety when it's the least of our problems.

The Bad Guy
03-05-2005, 08:56 AM
The Chiefs have had his medical records since Thursday what the hell is the hold up?

Urgency. The Chiefs need to find some.

PHOG
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM
“You can find something on an MRI on just about anybody if they've played any time at all in the National Football League,” he said.

Yeah... when they did :Bartee: 's, they found what eerily looked like a big concrete block above his shoulders.

T-post Tom
03-05-2005, 09:05 AM
“I really enjoyed the guy. He's a man, a tough guy, a physical guy. He's got some powerful leadership qualities that would have added a dimension to our defense if he had decided to come here.”

Whether you like him or not, DV's public persona sure is a nice balance to CP's "tough SOB" cock-of-the-walk attitude.

FRCDFED
03-05-2005, 10:51 AM
DV said we need three players but if they keep this pace up they won't get any. These guys need a job and they are going to sign with whoever offers an acceptable contract "first!"

If Rolle is holding up the show then they need to move on to plan B. Sign a LB (or two) and try to get a couple of other CB's signed. We've missed out on Lucas already who would've been an upgrade over what we have now. They will continue to be plucked from the FA market by other teams.

Don't break the bank on Rolle but let's get this train moving!

Cochise
03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
DV said we need three players but if they keep this pace up they won't get any. These guys need a job and they are going to sign with whoever offers an acceptable contract "first!"

I can see that mentality with a few, but I would have to think that most of them have their agents talking to all the interested parties, and using every offer to beat up the other teams on their offers.

Obviously, they all have different priorities. Not every player is going to sign with a pathetic team even if they offer the most money.

But, as far as us "letting people get out of town without being signed", if I were an agent, I wouldn't let my player stay in town until he'd done multiple visits and was using all the offers against each other. I don't really see the sin in this... makes the most sense to me for players to work that way.

Sure it would be great if they all came beating the doors down at Arrowhead wanting to sign, but I dont think that is reality. :shrug:

Wile_E_Coyote
03-05-2005, 10:58 AM
the Ravens may be out of the mix
<A name=217494>Ravens | To Sign Herndon to Offer Sheet? - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:10:38 -0800
Jamison Hensley (http://www.kffl.com/link/170) and Mike Preston, of the Baltimore Sun (http://www.kffl.com/link/169), report with the departure of former CB Gary Baxter (http://www.kffl.com/player/127/nfl) to the Cleveland Browns (http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl) in free agency, the Baltimore Ravens (http://www.kffl.com/team/8/nfl) are expected to turn their attention to restricted free agent CB Kelly Herndon (http://www.kffl.com/player/5684/nfl) (Broncos). The team will likely make an offer sheet to Herndon, in which the Denver Broncos (http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl) will have one week to match or receive no compensation since Herndon went undrafted.

FRCDFED
03-05-2005, 11:00 AM
The bottom line is our window is closing on offense. We need an impact WR from somewhere in addition to all the defensive vacancies. If we can't bring in at least one CB and one LB then we are going to have some problems.

I would feel more comfortable if Barber didn't go down last season. With him in there we only needed one LB, now we need at least two.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 11:03 AM
We do not need another WR, unless a really cheap one who does not mind playing in a WR-Lite Offense drops into our laps.

xoxo~
Gaz
Keeping his attention firmly on the broken Defense.

FRCDFED
03-05-2005, 11:08 AM
We do not need another WR, unless a really cheap one who does not mind playing in a WR-Lite Offense drops into our laps.

xoxo~
Gaz
Keeping his attention firmly on the broken Defense.

Surely Gaz remembers the injury problems we had early on last season. I am happy with the thought that LJ is our future at RB. It would be nice to have a WR that can change a game despite the fact Trent can't throw the deep ball.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Kennison, Parker, Horn, Smith, Boerigter, Hall, Gonzalez, Wilson, Holmes, Johnson.

Given the state of our Defense, I can live with that roster.

If a cheap FA drops in, take him. Otherwise, it is Defense, Defense and more Defense.

xoxo~
Gaz
Avoiding those pretty distractions.

Bowser
03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Gotta go with Gaz.

The only free agent receiver I would consider at this point would be Kevin Johnson, and I'm not even sure if he hasn't signed with somebody yet. Tells you just how worried I am about receiver.

Wallcrawler
03-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Bell and Hartwell remained unsigned Friday night. Bell also has physical issues. He flunked his physical with the Giants because of arthritis in his shoulder, though he passed the same exam with the Chiefs.

Bell is only 25 and already having problems with arthritis? Im not so sure that signing this guy would be the best thing at all.

Get the Rolle deal done fast, and get after Ed Hartwell ASAP.