PDA

View Full Version : Take it for what it's worth...

Chiefs Pantalones
03-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Warpaint Illustrated

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/357296.html

With the clock striking midnight, the Chiefs were burning the late oil to trying to work out a deal what would make them the winner of the Samari Rolle sweepstakes. All signs are pointing to that getting done as both parties are eager to get the deal done. Rolle wants to play for the Chiefs and his old friend Gunther Cunningham. And the Chiefs appear to maneuvering the salary cap internally to fit the large signing bonus that it will take to land the premier cornerback of the 2005 free agent class.

The hold up appears to be the results of the MRI results on the knee injury he suffered last season. The Chiefs doctors want to make sure its healed and fit for the start of training camp. If it is and from all acounts he will be ready for two-a-days, then it should only be a matter of time before the Chiefs ink Rolle to a long term contract.

Most other NFL teams are backing away from his salary demands and one NFL executive who I spoke with this evening told me that other teams are not in pursuit because he believed the Chiefs were the front runners. Rolle has no visits scheduled and from all indications, he is ready to become a Chief.

But how long this takes is reaching a critical point for the Chiefs if they want to pursue other NFL veterans. One of them remains linebacker Ed Hartwell who left Kansas City without a deal largely in part to the fact he wants a signing bonus that compares to the one the Chiefs will likely give Rolle.

Rolle wants a signing bonus somewhere between $12-15 million. Hartwell wants one between $10-12 million making him the highest paid free agent linebacker of this class. The market is only dictating a signing bonus between $5-8 million. That’s the dilemma and the only reason that Hartwell flew from Kansas City to talk to the Arizona Cardinals.

Now Hartwell and his agent are no dummies. They played the Card, no pun intended, so they could make a point with the Chiefs that other teams want his services but if he doesn’t get any offers, like the one he left on the table in Kansas City; it could backfire. Kansas City told Hartwell they want him to sign but they needed to get the deal done with Rolle first so they could juggle the cap to make sure they could add Hartwell and still find another cornerback and an additional linebacker to shore up their defense.

In fact the Chiefs would like to sign five new defensive players. They need another safety and could sign Tampa Bay cornerback Dwight Smith plus they’d like to find another nickel back who can cover slot receivers. They would like to convert him to safety so they could find someone who could step in for Jerome Woods who had a poor 2004 campaign. The Chiefs are expected safety Sammy Knight in town as early as Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Hartwell is the key to the puzzle but Rolle is the move that has to happen first in order for the Chiefs to start reshaping their defense. Kansas City won’t be as restricted by the salary cap as some are reporting.

Don’t buy into the rumors that the Chiefs are only $2.2 under the cap. That’s not accurate. Before the Chiefs received credit from the NFL for salary bonus’s that were never earned by players like Priest Holmes, Shawn Barber, Eric Hicks and Jerome Woods; they sat roughly $4.6 million under the cap. The bonus money could have given them an additional $2 million.

If the Chiefs need more room, then they’ll redo the contracts of Trent Green or Priest Holmes or Tony Gonzalez or any other high priced offensive player to create more cap room to sign enough defensive help to get this team back on the Super Bowl path.

In fact, I bet they’d each give up a portion of their salaries to help the cause if they were asked. The Salary Cap is subjective and it’s a guide. If Kansas City needs the room, they’ll find it. So reporting the number at this point is ridiculous.

Chiefs fans are impatient and honestly their going through a series of emotions that have them mad, angry and concerned that Kansas City will be bystanders in this free agency period. It could happen but not likely.

Look they offered Jeremiah Trotter a contract that included a $6.5 million signing bonus and he ended getting about $4.5 from the Eagles. So they obviously showed they were welling to over spend for a player they wanted. The problem was Trotter's heart was in Philly not Kansas City.

The Chiefs have a plan and we have to let them execute it. If they lose Hartwell, then they’ll move to Kendrell Bell who passed his physical with the Chiefs on Friday. He has the talent to play any linebacker position on the field. In fact, once Rolle is signed, the Chiefs could make a run for both of them.

If they still want another cornerback, they could find one in the draft or sign Dwight Smith who would instantly become the teams third nickel cornerback if he does not move to safety. They could draft a cornerback like Brandon Browner who in my opinion is the best cornerback available in the draft behind Antrel Rolle. He’ll be sitting at #15 just waiting for the Chiefs to ***** him.

But none of that can happen until they sign Rolle. With the Chiefs preparing for the NFL 101 Banquet this weekend, it would be a good time to show some of the top players and coaches in the NFL, the newest Chief or Chiefs.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated as we’ll keep you updated as to the latest and most accurate news in regards to the Chiefs free agent comings and goings.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Vermiel indicated the holdup was NOT the knee...

Chiefs Pantalones
03-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Vermiel indicated the holdup was NOT the knee...

I wouldn't listen to DV anymore than I would warpaintillustrated.

DenverChief
03-05-2005, 01:14 AM
:rolleyes: 5 new defensive starters via FA ...Hardly....I'd say 3 MAYBE 4 if Smith or Knight come cheap...otherwise I'd say its a tossup betwenn Rolle, Bell and Hartwell or Rolle(Surtain, Smoot, ETC) and Hartwell/Bell

Fried Meat Ball!
03-05-2005, 01:14 AM
In this instance, I would believe him... he's said there is a medical holdup, just that it's not the knee. It's not like he's saying there isn't something wrong...

HolmeZz
03-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Sounds encouraging, but I don't think I believe any of it.

SweChief
03-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I really like all the things I've been reading today!!

Rolle Hartwell and Smith please :p

On a side note:
With "the other" Rolle impressive workout at UM is their any chance that Pac Man would last to 15 if Rolle is indeed the first CB taken? And if so, should he be the pick?

DenverChief
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
I really like all the things I've been reading today!!

Rolle Hartwell and Smith please :p

On a side note:
With "the other" Rolle impressive workout at UM is their any chance that Pac Man would last to 15 if Rolle is indeed the first CB taken? And if so, should he be the pick?

Rolle and Rolle eh? :hmmm: sounds too good to be true :sulk:

Logical
03-05-2005, 01:23 AM
I only wish this was from a source that could be trusted.

SweChief
03-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Rolle and Rolle eh? :hmmm: sounds too good to be true :sulk:

Hmm maybe my spelling didn't make any sense but it would be S. Rolle and Pac Man Jones then.

But yes...it still sounds to good to be true :shake:

DenverChief
03-05-2005, 01:31 AM

I can't handle this wishy-washy crap anymore I'm sleeping all day tomorrow will you call me if anything happens? :p

ExtremeChief
03-05-2005, 03:12 AM
He’ll be sitting at #15 just waiting for the Chiefs to ***** him.

probably should have used "grab"

It would be nice to be positive and trust that the Chiefs are going to get this done, but I really hated to see Hartwell go visit the Cardinals. KC doesn't have to be under the cap right now, why not go ahead and get Hartwell signed, then worry about restructuring later? I realize this probably isn't a good business practice, but neither is losing the linebacker who could argueably help you the most and, according to reports, really wants to play in KC.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Nice article.

It would be nice if it all unfolded like that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Warm and fuzzy for a while.

the Talking Can
03-05-2005, 05:45 AM
I like the article, to bad it was written after dropping acid.

dirk digler
03-05-2005, 08:26 AM
I never believe anything WarPaint Illustrated says but I will this time because I am a homer and desperate.

He was right about one thing for sure, Trotter stayed in Philly because he likes Philly and not because of the money.

HC_Chief
03-05-2005, 08:34 AM

...and was written by someone who passed 8th grade English.

Cochise
03-05-2005, 08:45 AM
So, to summarize, Warpaint Illustrated claims that the Chiefs need to sign Rolle before they can get Hartwell and they aren't doing that or anyone else until the results of his MRI are in.

That all sounds great but the whole article smacks of complete speculation.

The Bad Guy
03-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Warpaint Illustrated is like a big nicely wrapped up box. Their stories have a lot of fluff - lots of ribbons and bows - and then when you finally open it up it's a big pile of shit.

Nick Athan is a nice guy, but I would trust Ms. Cleo to tell my future before I would trust him to break any news. When I wrote with him a couple years ago he wanted to run a story that Corey Dillon signed with the Chiefs and how it was 100% fact (this was Vermeil's first year) and Marty wouldn't let him run it.

Last year it was Champ Bailey, the year before that it was Hugh Douglas. I've had enough of this guy making up stories.

The Bad Guy
03-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated as we’ll keep you updated as to the latest and most accurate news in regards to the Chiefs free agent comings and goings.

This is very disturbing that they put this disclaimer at the end of their articles.

I wish I had an account there, I would e-mail him and ask him how many accurate stories he's produced in the 2 years writing for this rag.

Bowser
03-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Warpaint Illustrated is like a big nicely wrapped up box. Their stories have a lot of fluff - lots of ribbons and bows - and then when you finally open it up it's a big pile of shit.

Nick Athan is a nice guy, but I would trust Ms. Cleo to tell my future before I would trust him to break any news. When I wrote with him a couple years ago he wanted to run a story that Corey Dillon signed with the Chiefs and how it was 100% fact (this was Vermeil's first year) and Marty wouldn't let him run it.

Last year it was Champ Bailey, the year before that it was Hugh Douglas. I've had enough of this guy making up stories.

So basically you're saying that this guy is the kiss of death, and whatever he says is going to happen, won't?

:banghead:

Chiefs Pantalones
03-05-2005, 08:57 AM

ROFL

Nicely put.

The Bad Guy
03-05-2005, 09:01 AM
So basically you're saying that this guy is the kiss of death, and whatever he says is going to happen, won't?

:banghead:

Well the Rolle thing is being reported everywhere so I think he's just jumping on Teicher's coat tails. But the "we've spoken with a source at with the Chiefs stuff" is all fabricated.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I never believe anything WarPaint Illustrated says but I will this time because I am a homer and desperate.

He was right about one thing for sure, Trotter stayed in Philly because he likes Philly and not because of the money.

Same here.

I feel like the guy in the movie who is clinging to the ledge of a tall building, while the evil villain (Carl) is peeling each finger loose allowing my free fall to death.

Hercules Rockefell
03-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Isn't this the site that said KC and the Skins were in deep discussions for Champ last offseason?

Bowser
03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Isn't this the site that said KC and the Skins were in deep discussions for Champ last offseason?

I am pretty sure we wouldn't be so silly as to want to trade for such a player, knowing we would have to give up our best player.

;)

Calcountry
03-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Warpaint Illustrated

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/357296.html

...They would like to convert him to safety....

Was I the only one that started to chuckle when they read this portion of the article?