PDA

View Full Version : one thing that surprised me

ILChief
03-05-2005, 05:33 AM
i was looking at player bios on nfl.com and Kendrell Bell is actually younger than Ed Hartwell. Bell has only played four seasons. He's 24 yrs old. I though he'd been around longer than that.

Fire Me Boy!
03-05-2005, 05:33 AM
:hmmm: I thought so too. I might be leaning toward Bell now... younger and pretty good now, will only get better.

stumppy
03-05-2005, 05:38 AM
I just hope we sign one of them.

Jeez this is killin me.

AirForceChief
03-05-2005, 06:12 AM
:hmmm: I thought so too. I might be leaning toward Bell now... younger and pretty good now, will only get better.

But Bell is purported to have arthritis problems in a shoulder. Failed the Giants physical...this condition + injuries elevates his risk factor. I'd rather see someone else at MLB. Speaking of injuries, any update on Mazlowski's bum wheels?

Thig Lyfe
03-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Bell was ROY only a few years ago.

ct
03-05-2005, 06:42 AM
If only they could open the upfront cash vault and sign em both. Ed starts in the middle, Bell on the outside. If Ed gets injured, Bell can slide over, and if Bell gets hurt, we fill in with barber(if late in the season, IF he's still on the roster) or fox/draftee.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 06:47 AM
I like the idea of giving Fox a shot at the OLB position.

Am I on the fringe on this?

xoxo~
Gaz
Would still look at OLB in the draft, though.

ct
03-05-2005, 06:51 AM
I like the idea of giving Fox a shot at the OLB position.

Am I on the fringe on this?

xoxo~
Gaz
Would still look at OLB in the draft, though.

Yes I'm afraid you are. We've given too many unproven projects a 'shot' of late, and how many have panned out? We're not in much position to give guys 'shots', expecially those who did not play a single down last year that I recall.

But I realize I'm dreaming to get Rolle/surtain to man one corner, plus Hartwell AND Bell to solidify the LB corps.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Seems to me that Bell is as big a risk as Fox, given Bell’s injury history. We do not have any reason to believe that he will suddenly be injury-free, do we?

xoxo~
Gaz
Doubtful.

ILChief
03-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Seems to me that Bell is as big a risk as Fox, given Bell’s injury history. We do not have any reason to believe that he will suddenly be injury-free, do we?

xoxo~
Gaz
Doubtful.

I think his injury problems are being blown out of proportion. His games played for his 4 seasons are 16,12,16,3. Last year was the only one where he missed a ton of time.

siberian khatru
03-05-2005, 07:18 AM
I think his injury problems are being blown out of proportion. His games played for his 4 seasons are 16,12,16,3. Last year was the only one where he missed a ton of time.

We already knew he had a bad groin injury last year. Last night we found out he's got an arthritic shoulder. Guy's falling apart at 26.

I like him. I like his game a lot. The risk in signing him isn't with his talent. And sometimes you've gotta take gambles when money's tight and you have a lot of holes to fill. But that shoulder news gave me extra extra pause.

I hope they find the money to sign Hartwell. He's still my No. 1 choice. If they sign Bell, I won't bitch, but I will be holding my breath.

Gaz
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5486/injuries.html

I dunno, man. Looks pretty iffy to me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to have a healthy Bell.

ct

xoxo~
Gaz
Doubtful.

Bell has doubts, but we know he can produce. I'd prefer to have Fox get his shot ONLY as a matter of necessity, rather then by choice.

I would say that if Fox wants his shot, he should call Gun and say 'Hey, I'm coming to KC for a tryout. Picture me as a potential FA for OLB, let me show you what I can do." Let the coaches decide if Fox and his $ are worthy of his shot over Bell and his $$$.

Now THAT I would be cool with.

ILChief
03-05-2005, 07:28 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5486/injuries.html

I dunno, man. Looks pretty iffy to me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to have a healthy Bell.

it looks bad but most of those questionables and probables he played in the games. Look, I'd much rather have Hartwell but that looks less likely every minute that goes by. Bell is the best of what's left and sure as hell better than Kawika

Gaz
03-05-2005, 07:33 AM
We agree that Harwell is the best choice.

I remain doubtful that Bell is the second-best alternative. Ankle, groin and now shoulder. That should give us pause. Sure, he might have played in those games, but do you think he was unhindered?

Let us hope the Chiefs’ medical staff give him a very thorough going-over, should it come to that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Holding out for a more reliable choice.

ct
03-05-2005, 07:35 AM
We agree that Harwell is the best choice.

I remain doubtful that Bell is the second-best alternative. Ankle, groin and now shoulder. That should give us pause. Sure, he might have played in those games, but do you think he was unhindered?

Let us hope the Chiefs’ medical staff give him a very thorough going-over, should it come to that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Holding out for a more reliable choice.

Don't misunderstand me, I've wanted Hartwell as our MLB from the get-go. would have been cool with Trotter, but Ed's my man. My dream is to also sign Bell for the OLB spot, but fully realize that is way too much $$ for us to realistically spend. Especially given that we desparately need a legit CB like Rolle.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 07:43 AM
I actually want Hartwell more than Rolle. A stud LB would help our D more than a stud CB, IMO. More bang for the buck, if you will. But it seems that a Rolle signing is in the cards, so I accept it with good cheer. Since we will be rebuilding in a year or two, the cap hit pales a bit.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would consider Hartwell & Rolle a very good FA season.

siberian khatru
03-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I actually want Hartwell more than Rolle. A stud LB would help our D more than a stud CB, IMO. More bang for the buck, if you will. But it seems that a Rolle signing is in the cards, so I accept it with good cheer. Since we will be rebuilding in a year or two, the cap hit pales a bit.

xoxo~
Gaz

Hartwell and Rolle WOULD be a very good FA season.

I understand your philosophy re: Rolle, but our D is so bad in so many areas that we need studs wherever we can get them. Because of that, it really might not make a difference between stud MLB/avg. CB or avg. MLB/stud CB. I get all the effects rules changes have and whatnot, but it still comes down to talent, and we have so little at LB and DB that it doesn't matter what the rules are. We suck regardless. A stud CB would help us. He would be such a huge upgrade over Bartee/McCleon, regardless of the rules.

We REALLY, REALLY need to get 2 studs. (I'd like 3, but I don't think that's going to happen.)

Gaz
03-05-2005, 08:01 AM
I think that [2] good CBs make more fiscal sense than [1] great CB in the modern “don’t you touch that WR” NFL. Still, Rolle appears to be a nearly-done deal, so I am leaping on the bandwagon with a moderately-sincere show of enthusiasm.

The key, IMO, is to get the very best MLB available. IMO, that is clearly Hartwell. The fact that he left without a contract does not concern me as much as some folks. He would be a fool if he did not get the best deal he could. Hopefully, that is in KC.

xoxo~
Gaz
Born-again Rolle Homer.

tiptap
03-05-2005, 08:11 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

KC was a top 10 team on defense in stopping running plays for no gain or loss ON FIRST DOWN. They couldn't make hay of that because teams found ways to pass and run including screens to make 1st downs anyway. In addition teams we will be facing this year will include those teams that will run with 3 and 4 wide sets. No linebacker is going to be in on those plays. And Hartwell is not going to cover passes or be the main guy on screens. What we need most is upgrade at cornerback and we need better safety play. You have to pay for the cornerback help but we can retreat on money spent on LB and S.
Spend the money or drafts on CB.

Gaz
03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
KC was a top 10 team on defense in stopping running plays for no gain or loss ON FIRST DOWN. They couldn't make hay of that because teams found ways to pass and run including screens to make 1st downs anyway. In addition teams we will be facing this year will include those teams that will run with 3 and 4 wide sets. No linebacker is going to be in on those plays. And Hartwell is not going to cover passes or be the main guy on screens. What we need most is upgrade at cornerback and we need better safety play. You have to pay for the cornerback help but we can retreat on money spent on LB and S.
Spend the money or drafts on CB.

Champ Bailey.

‘Nuff said, I think.

xoxo~
Gaz
Expects the CB position to be completely outlawed by 2008.