PDA

View Full Version : Nevermind on Dwight Smith, He's a psycho with a bb gun.

bringbackmarty
03-05-2005, 10:41 AM
I hope the monkeys (I mean chimpanzees) bite off his nuts...

More From The Times-Picayune | Subscribe To The Times-Picayune
Safety Smith becomes a top target for Saints
Right tackle Miller makes visit as team goes after free agents
Saturday, March 05, 2005
By Jeff Duncan
Staff writer
The Saints entertained right tackle Fred Miller on a free-agent visit Friday, but it was the team's decision to wine and dine free safety Dwight Smith that should raise eyebrows.

Smith's recruitment could signal the end of Tebucky Jones' star-crossed career in New Orleans.

While Saints officials are refraining from comment about Jones' future, they have made no secret that they would like to add a ball-hawking free safety, presumably to replace Jones.

Jones, 30, has failed to meet expectations after the Saints acquired him in a 2003 trade with New England for three draft picks and signed him to a seven-year, $29.5 million contract. He led the Saints in tackles last season with 101 but has made just two interceptions and forced two fumbles in two seasons.

Jones, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound seven-year veteran, is due a $1.75 million base salary this season and a $400,000 roster bonus March 17.

The Saints were $8.7 million under the $85.5 million salary cap Friday.

Smith, who played with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, visited Kansas City on Friday and missed a scheduled flight to New Orleans early Friday evening. The Saints were attempting to schedule another flight for Smith, and he was expected to arrive late Friday night.

Smith, who started his career as a cornerback, has stated his desire to return to that position. He is considered by most teams to be the top free safety on the free-agent market. He started at all four positions in the secondary during his four seasons in Tampa Bay. Smith, 5-10, 201 pounds, made 12 interceptions the past three seasons, the second most for the Buccaneers. He is also a standout special-teams player.

[B]
It was the second time in two years Smith has been arrested on a weapons charge. In August 2003, Smith pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of improper exhibition of a firearm in a road-rage incident in Clearwater, Fla. .

Smith appears to be the Saints' top target, but team officials are keeping an eye on Darren Sharper's situation in Green Bay. Last week the Packers notified Sharper, also a free safety, that he could be released if he doesn't accept a pay cut. Sharper is due a $2.6 million roster bonus March 12. His base salary for 2005 is $3.4 million. The Packers reportedly want to reduce Sharper's $8.633 million salary-cap number by about $4 million this season.

Sharper, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, has told the Packers he is not amenable to such a drastic pay cut. By cutting Sharper, the Packers would gain $3.4 million in cap room.

Miller, who has played the past five seasons with the Tennessee Titans, was the second of two potential right tackle candidates to visit the Saints. Jermane Mayberry, who played right guard the previous five seasons in Philadelphia, visited Thursday. The Saints are interested in signing one of the two to replace Victor Riley. Miller, who still is recovering from offseason surgery to repair a right ankle injury, is believed to be the Saints' top target.

Miller isn't the only ex-Titan interested in the Saints. Tight end Shad Meier plans to visit New Orleans in the next week. Meier, 26, was scheduled to be a restricted free agent this season but was thrust into the unrestricted ranks when the Titans didn't tender him a contract offer this week. He had 25 catches for 127 yards last season. The Saints also plan to bring in veteran tight end Itula Mili. Mili, an eight-year veteran, had 23 catches for 240 yards for Seattle last season.

Two unrestricted free agents the Saints hope to re-sign -- cornerback Jason Craft and safety/special teams ace Steve Gleason -- visited other teams Friday. Craft visited Atlanta. Gleason toured Arizona. Both players have been offered contracts by the Saints but have decided to test the market.

The Saints' top two free-agent targets at linebacker are now off the market. Former Washington player Antonio Pierce signed with the New York Giants on Wednesday, and former Tampa Bay player Ian Gold signed with Denver on Friday.

frikkin psycho. I said a whopper wit cheese now eat sum lead foo!

Alphaman
03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I disagree. Two guys get out of a car in front of you while you are blocked in at 4 am could be reasonably assumed to be a carjacking, especially since you are driving a BMW. The guy obviously felt threatened.

Sure-Oz
03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
he had 4 tackles a forced fumble and an INT against us last season, ill take him!

bringbackmarty
03-05-2005, 10:51 AM
goddamnit part of my article was deleted...

Smith, however, arrives with baggage. He was arrested early Tuesday morning and charged with aggravated assault after he pulled a BB gun on two men during a confrontation at a Tampa fast-food restaurant drive-through at 4 a.m.

It was the second time in two years Smith has been arrested on a weapons charge. In August 2003, Smith pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of improper exhibition of a firearm in a road-rage incident in Clearwater, Fla. .

bringbackmarty
03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I disagree. Two guys get out of a car in front of you while you are blocked in at 4 am could be reasonably assumed to be a carjacking, especially since you are driving a BMW. The guy obviously felt threatened.
so you pull a bb gun on someone....Unless you hit the person in the eye, you are only going to piss them off. If it is a carjacking, you are dead because you only have a bb gun. If all this is the case? why was he arrested for the second time? No thanks. I have no respect for people who brandish a weapon without just cause for use. Prolly can't shoot for shit anyway, thats why he only has a bb gun. collateral damage.
Plus the guy is in the nfl and he's eating fast food? bad for your game, too much trans fat, and hydrogenated oil.

keg in kc
03-05-2005, 11:00 AM
I think we could use a little crazy on our defense.

FloridaChief
03-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Correct...

PHOG
03-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I think we could use a little crazy on our defense.

I would be happy with Smith at FS.

I would even let him carry his BB gun on the sidelines during the games..
especially during road games.

DenverChief
03-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I would be happy with Smith at FS.

I would even let him carry his BB gun on the sidelines during the games..
especially during road games.

ROFL The would be great during Raider week @ chOakland

bringbackmarty
03-05-2005, 11:20 AM
yeah I guess this would be okay, you guys are right. If we sign him I am definitely sitting upper level though, and either leaving the stadium before the game is up, or hours after smith has left. Don't want to be the next victim. has anyone done an all defensive thug team? Here I'll start...
MLB Ray Ray "Got blood on my shoes and all up in the limo" Lewis
CB Samari "I like to hit my bitch Rolle"
OlB. Bill "gimmie some roids so I got the balls to assault you" romanowski.
DE Leonard "Aw shitz wasz that a stlop slign ossiferrr?" Little
CB Eric "Only two or three beers" Warfield.
okay I'm out of Ideas for now any others?

PHOG
03-05-2005, 11:23 AM
yeah I guess this would be okay, you guys are right. If we sign him I am definitely sitting upper level though, and either leaving the stadium before the game is up, or hours after smith has left. Don't want to be the next victim. has anyone done an all defensive thug team? Here I'll start...

Larry "Meet the butt end of my gun" Johnson?

crossbow
03-05-2005, 12:03 PM

Can't forget Vanover, Bam Morris, and crew.

FRCDFED
03-05-2005, 12:05 PM
I want a safety that hits like Lynch or Harrison. I'm not talking about illegal hits but the ones that WR's don't forget or have trouble getting up from!

Shox
03-05-2005, 12:06 PM
We could use a psycho in the defensive backfield that wants to HIT somebody.

BigChiefFan
03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Smith is a quality player and with Warfield most likely going to be suspended we could uses a FS that can play CB. He's the best of both worlds, but should only command safety money.

Wallcrawler
03-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah, he should only be paid safety money, because thats what he has recently played, and where we have the most recent performance information on him.

But he knows that the huge bank is being thrown at guys who can play the corner position, so I doubt that he will be wanting to sign for a safety's wages.

PHOG
03-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Smith is a quality player and with Warfield most likely going to be suspended we could uses a FS that can play CB. He's the best of both worlds, but should only command safety money.

Smith would be a solid addition, as you have pointed out...

Ah Oh... what did I just hear? That's what I thought... the unmistakable sound of a bottle of beer being opened!

Hope SOMETHING happens today as far as FA'cy goes..but there's more important things to do.....have a good day.

PHOG
03-05-2005, 12:16 PM
DAMN!! Looks like I'm not going to make the mythical 1200 poast count... :shrug: :toast:

BigChiefFan
03-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Smith would be a solid addition, as you have pointed out...

Ah Oh... what did I just hear? That's what I thought... the unmistakable sound of a bottle of beer being opened!

Hope SOMETHING happens today as far as FA'cy goes..but there's more important things to do.....have a good day.
You have a good one, too.

Alphaman
03-05-2005, 12:39 PM
so you pull a bb gun on someone....Unless you hit the person in the eye, you are only going to piss them off. If it is a carjacking, you are dead because you only have a bb gun. If all this is the case? why was he arrested for the second time? No thanks. I have no respect for people who brandish a weapon without just cause for use. Prolly can't shoot for shit anyway, thats why he only has a bb gun. collateral damage.
Plus the guy is in the nfl and he's eating fast food? bad for your game, too much trans fat, and hydrogenated oil.

If that's what he's got in the car, that's what he's got. If they see it before the get close enough to the car to distinguish between a BB gun and real gun, then they probably won't keep coming. All I'm saying, is that at 4 am, that's not an unreasonable response.

What is your first thought, we 2 guys you don't know get out of the car in front of you and come walking towards you?

Frazod
03-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I've shot lots of people with a BB gun. :)

jspchief
03-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Normally, I'd agree and give him a pass on this. However, this is his second arrest related to flashing a gun at someone. A few years back he was arrested for flashing a real gun at someone on a highway.

He's a solid player, and I'd take him as an upgrade over Woods. But unless DV is throwing out the "profile" bullsh*t, I don't see us signing him.