PDA

View Full Version : Question

Bwana
12-07-2000, 09:48 AM
What did everyone really expect from the Chiefs after witnessing the preseason? Did we really think that we could overcome the following and be a true playoff contender?

1. Absolutely no running game, no quality running backs or run blocking scheme

2. Arguably the worst assembled Coaching staff in the league

3. No Intangible advtg - turnovers, time of possesion, poor team leadership, fan excitement, etc.

These things have been present from day 1 of the 2000 season. Playoff teams do not suffer in the above areas. Therefore, the Chiefs were never really in it, time just caught up with their early success. Time to play all our young guys, position yourself for a good draft pick and stop all the whining.

Quarterback
12-07-2000, 10:31 AM
To be honest I was expecting a 10-6 season and a shot at a wildcard. I knew our offense would be an adventure without a running game but the shocker is the defense. I never dreamed that our D would be so completely inept at stopping the opponent, particularly the run.

I saw us getting in a lot of 17-14 type of games and pulling out our share. Alas it's been more like 42-38 with us on the short end because our D can't hold a lead.

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 10:33 AM
I envisioned 8-8, being fairly competitive. I also thought the donx & raiders wouldn't be so far out of reach.

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 10:36 AM
ditto ck_IN, I too figured 10-6 or even 11-5...I knew our offense would be weak, but I never would have believed our D would've sucked so bad...that's the shocker...

Look at it this way...even without the running game, which BTW, I think would have been okay if Gun would have stuck with Kimble/Cloud and TRich all year, the Chiefs probably would have finished 10-6 if our D would have given up less points...

Coaching on the other hand cost us one or two games...and that's just with bad coaching decisions not bad player package choices....

The 2000 Chiefs are like my golf game...one or two parts work, but never can put all phases together at one time...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-07-2000).]

milkman
12-07-2000, 10:37 AM
CK - Kind of covers it, our D is the biggest disappointment right now. It has had some flashes this season, but very few. We all knew our ST were still going to be a weak point.

ChiTown
12-07-2000, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I thought we had a good shot at 10-6. But that's what I hope for every year. You figure that 10-6 gets you in the playoffs about 90% of the time and after that is all gravy as they say. Defense has sucked big time. Who'd of thunk it? http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

Dave Lane
12-07-2000, 10:53 AM
8-8 at best.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

CrazyHorse
12-07-2000, 11:06 AM
I think one positive we can take out of this season is the young corners. They seem to have talent though they still get burned quite often. But I think it usually takes a few years for most young corners to find their game. Just look at Green Bay, Jacksonville, maybe San Fran, and there are probably others I can't think of. They went with the young corners 2-3 years ago and their defenses are shaping up now.

Cannibal
12-07-2000, 11:27 AM
After preseason I thought we'd be lucky to win 7 games. I also thought that our glaring preseason deficiencies would be addressed early in the year and that the team would improve as the season progressed. Unfortunately, we've gotten worse.

bishop_74
12-07-2000, 01:55 PM
I have a bet with a friend that is a Bronco fan, and before the season started we had to pick the finishing order of the AFC West and corresponding records.

Here is mine:
Denver 12-4
Oakland 10-6
KC 9-7
Seattle 6-10
San Diego 5-11

I have the order close but not the records.

[This message has been edited by mlyonsd (edited 12-07-2000).]