PDA

View Full Version : How about a moment of silence for all the Servicemen who died at Pearl Harbor...

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 10:19 AM
59 years ago...

j molina
12-07-2000, 10:23 AM
Rest In Peace.

Your sacrifice will never be forgotten.

Your memories in our hearts forever.

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 10:26 AM
I've always believed this should be a national holiday.

Proud of my Naval Service(1992-1996).

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 10:31 AM
I agree with the Holiday part and not just because it would be a day off work...

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 10:41 AM
I was just talking to my office employees about this.

Thank you for sacrifices.

The DuckDog is
Mike Bagley
former SSG USA
Airborne, Ranger, Infantry
1987-1998

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

j molina
12-07-2000, 10:45 AM
And thank YOU Duck Dog an Mi Chief. I think of you everytime I see the Stars and Stripes or hear the anthem.

[This message has been edited by DJay23 (edited 12-07-2000).]

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 10:46 AM
The sad thing is that when I mentioned the date to my co-workers they were like, yeah, so what, it's the 7th of December...so I said, you know, Pearl Harbor, WWII...they looked at me like I was an idiot...

Just because it didn't happen to us...doesn't give us the right to forget...

j molina
12-07-2000, 10:49 AM
There is actually a movie coming out next year, can't remember the name of it, about Pearl and I belive the entire war. When I saw the preview at the theatre I welled up and I NEVER cry.

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 10:50 AM
That is sad.

Ever see the commercial with Tom Hanks pointing out the fact that our WW2 vets do not have a momorial?

I also heard a study where college sophmores were asked about the Gulf War. They don't remember it.

Thanks DJay. It really means a lot when people say that. More than you realize.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

TEX
12-07-2000, 10:56 AM
amen,

I mentioned this at work yesterday and today...my granddad was an army medic at normany...

thanks guys.

I wanted to be a marine, wasn't accepted due to accident and health...wanted to do my part.

BigChiefsFan
12-07-2000, 10:56 AM
As much as I hate the governement, I have always had a profound respect for those who serve in the military. I was not able to fulfill my dream of being a naval aviator due to a degenerative eye condition. I still dream of being launched off of an aircraft carrier. For those who have served, thank you.

My great uncle was killed on a ship there (can't remember which one...on the tip of my tongue...dammit! I'll call my folks and find out). Every Dec. 7th my family calls each other, wishes each other well and spends a moment of silence in his memory. It amazes me that so many people have no clue what happened on this day. And we wonder what has happened to this country . . .

MM
~~Remebers and gives thanks to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 10:58 AM
Duck, unbelievable that no WWII memorial was ever built until now...I'm sure you've seen Saving Private Ryan...when I see the cematary at Normandy...it sends chills down my spine...to think how many people have lost their life defending the freedoms we take for granted...and then for others to not even remember them...

To those like you, who have served this great country and risked the possibility of losing your life to protect my freedoms...I salute you...<P>

Shootr
12-07-2000, 11:12 AM
I am grateful to the vets of WWII even though I am only 35 years old. They didn't have the oppurtunity to have a push-button war like the skirmishes of today. They had to grind it out on the ground, hand-to-hand combat and tank-to-tank, very little close air support.

I would hate to think what would happen to us today if we had to go to a war like that. I am sure the forces would do their very best, but I am not sure if it would be enough. I don't think the people in charge of the war would be smart enough to handle it.

Thanks to all of the vets, especially the WWII vets, you all have made a huge difference. Sorry you vets don't get the recognition you justly deserve.

------------------
Brian K.

Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair.
[i]George Burns </I>

Lurker Brett
12-07-2000, 11:14 AM
To all those lost on this day 59 years ago, you are gone but not forgotten. My father served in the Navy in WWII, he too, is now gone, and I proudly served four years during the early 60s, also in the Navy. To all of us who know history, this was the most cowardly, dastardly attack on the United States, and will forever, in FDRs words, be a Day of Infamy. Also, I will say a prayer of thanks, for all of those who have paid the supreme sacrifice, to keep the great nation, free. May you all be with God.

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 11:23 AM
Mark M,
About 2 months before I left the Navy, we were in the Persian Gulf, and I was being sent home to transfer over to civilian life. I got to get shot off on one of the carriers transport planes(called a cod).

Dude, it shakes you to the bone& nearly pops your eyes out of the sockets. I'm glad I got to do it before my time was up.

karob
12-07-2000, 11:50 AM
Mi_Chief

Was it the steam catapult hooked to the cod that suplied the jolt?
I have never been in the Navy or on a Naval but am fascinated with the air craft carriers and the other ships that accompany the carrier.

Bricky
Thankful to those who serve our country

BigChiefsFan
12-07-2000, 11:55 AM
Mi--
So you're saying it's not all it's cracked up to be, eh? Sounds a little like the Orient Express at Worlds of Fun.

My reason for wanting to fly in the Navy was because my grandfather did in WW2 (the Yorktown) and the thought of going from 0 to 200 mph in two seconds just seems like fun. Probably a lot smoother launch in a fighter than a transport.

I have been in a C-130 for a very short trip once (Seattle to Portland, OR) and wasn't exactly a good time!! Loud, bumpy and not exactly deluxe accomodations. But I was flying, and that's always good.

I'm nuts, I know.

MM
~~Must've been a bird in a past life.

P.S. Once again, thanks to ALL of the servicemen/women who defend this country (had to get back on-topic).

Dr. Red
12-07-2000, 11:59 AM
Thanks 58Forever for starting this thread. And thanks to all who post, or just read and take a moment.
I'm just a whippersnapper, but both Grandfathers served, one in the Pacific Army Air Core and one on the beachheads of Germany in the Marines.
The grandfather who served in the Pacific married my grandmother 59 years and 1 week ago. 59 years ago next week, he shipped off for the Aleutians to spend the duration of the war away from his bride. After watching countless friends die, sometimes entire naval vessels exploding within 100s of yards awy, he returned to make a life for Grandma, my soon-thereafter born dad and all of us who follow. They remained married, newlyweds in every sense, until his death two years ago, and their marriage was the bedrock of our extended family.
My other grandfather was haunted his entire life from what he saw and experienced. Lying motionless for entire days, as if dead, while the enemy pillaged items of worth from the battlefield. Being stepped on by those same enemy troops as they traversed the field. On the beach in Normandy. Everything you saw in Saving Private Ryan was true, and then some. Unfortunately, he too passed on, before that movie came out. But watching it was like sitting at his knee again one last time, hearing what he and others did to give me the life I now have. He too married and loved my grandmother until the day he died.

Thanks to all who served, and continue to serve today.

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 12:03 PM
Brickey,
Launches on all carriers are indeed powered by steam. The one I was on first, USS Saratoga, was conventional, meaning it was powered strictly by fuel.The next carrier I was on (USS Enterprise), was nuclear, and the steam came from water cooling the reactors.

Mark,
Launching off the carrier was a rush. I didn't fly the aircraft, so I'm not sure if it's all it's cracked up to be. But working on the flight deck was an awesome job. It never got boring.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-07-2000, 12:35 PM
Bob Dole awoke bright and early and sent off his annual email to the only Pearl Harbor Survivor Bob Dole knows.<BR>

Ecto-I
12-07-2000, 01:08 PM
I share in this silent moment with you . . .

Last year I lost an uncle (Frank Kennedy of Guthrie Center,IA) He served in the Army during WWII. He somehow survived the landing at Normandy (Utah Beach) and later returned home with all of his limbs. He never spoke about what he witnessed during the landing and we never pryed. We knew he was part of a heroic effort. I've never been so haunted in all may life as the day I held Nazi silver currency in may hand. It was horrifying proof to this youngster that my own blood fought a nearly unwinable battle.

God bless them all . . .

C.R.Pants (US Navy '92-'95)

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 01:16 PM
I have two dreams that I hope I'm able to fulfill before I die...one is to visit Pearl and stand over the Arizona...the thought of over a 1000 men still inside that ship...

The second is to visit the cematery at Normandy...the one you see in "Private Ryan"

Just the thought of those memorials brings a chill to the spine and a tear to the eye....

It's a shame that so many people, not only young people, have no clue as to what sacrifices were made for them...if not for all the brave souls who fought in WWII we might be speaking German or Japenese ritht now...

My guess is that if you went on the street and asked 10 people the significance of December 7, 1941 or June 6, 1944, 8 out of 10 wouldn't have a clue....truely sad.

Shootr
12-07-2000, 01:21 PM
The only reason I would be interested in going to Hawaii is to the Memorial to the fallen soldiers at Pearl Harbor. That is the only reason

------------------
Brian K.

Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair.
[i]George Burns </I>

Fat Homer
12-07-2000, 01:23 PM
BK, that's my main reason...but then I play golf...

karob
12-07-2000, 01:34 PM
Mr. Dole
Send another e-mail to that WWII veteran and tell him or her that they are not forgotten, as evidenced by the people on this board.

Bricky
May we never forget the sacrifices made so that we may enjoy freedom. <P>

Shootr
12-07-2000, 01:35 PM
Bob Dole,

Why don't you send him a link to this topic......

------------------
Brian K.

[i]George Burns </I>

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-07-2000, 01:44 PM
I've sent Harold the link, but do not know how frequently he checks his mail. (Too busy golfing most of the time.)

HC_Chief
12-07-2000, 02:59 PM
My ship tied up on "old battleship row" during the Vietnam War. I am forth generation NAVY. I grew up on this stuff. My Dad was on a carrier South-Pacific. USS.
Hogutbay. It was very moving to stand on deck looking out at the gap in two mountians that the Japanese aircraft came through.

My Dad would say "rained sailors that day".

The tradition of Navy stops with me, no more
Davis' to serve.

DE-361 and AE-16 LD for KC

AustinChief
12-07-2000, 04:13 PM
DJay - The movie is entitled Pearl Harbor and will be out Memorial Day Weekend.

Thank each and every single member of the military who have constantly insured me of my most basic freedoms I take for granted much too often.

No words can express our thanks for your sacrifice.

Woodrow
12-07-2000, 07:24 PM
For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial, you will never know the devastation that took place that day.

I am blessed because my duty assignment in the USNR has been at Pearl Harbor. Every time I go I make a trip to the Museum and Memorial. My last trip I saw the USS Missouri as well as the Arizona Memorial.

On the day after Thanksgiving I was at the Mall in Joplin, MO. I was wearing the USS Missouri BB-63 hat I got on the last trip to Hawaii. An older gentleman asked me if I was on the Missouri, I relayed that I had been assigned to the ship after my return from Desert Storm but never got to serve onboard. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor. His duty station was on the USS Oklahoma. I was told many things that happened that day. Our country has (or had) hero's that nobody will ever know about.

A day off in rememberance would be fitting, I can't really call it a Holiday. We should write to our Senators and Representatives and put the word in their ears about remembering that day.

USN - 1971-1977
USNR - 1984 - Present

Mile High Mania
12-07-2000, 11:27 PM
The USS Arizona will never be forgotten, her bell still rings daily. It can be seen at the University of Arizona hanging in the bell tower.

Thank you.

AZ<BR>

Kurt Surber
12-08-2000, 10:48 AM
My grandfather and i watched Saving Private Ryan together, he was Navy in WWII, and it chocked him up pretty bad. He said it was really close to what it was like. I served in the Navy for three years, '95-98. I was never in conflict(thank the lord) but it makes me stop and think what these people went through and suffered to give us our freedom. it makes a losing season a little easier to deal with, huh?
kcmax
i'm gonna call my grandpa, tell him i love him.