http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Smith is gone

Kris Kringle
03-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Smith is gone :banghead: :mad: :cuss:

JakeT
03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
that's okay I'll feel much safer on the streets of KC when approaching someone for an autograph

Stinger

Smith is gone

Eh, maybe it is just me but was never really intersted in him. Did we really need another Safty/Corner?

shaneo69
He woulda been a cheap CB at that price.

Vermiel wanted him as a safety though. Still cheaper than the contract Woods signed last year.

jspchief
03-07-2005, 10:24 AM
He would have been an upgrade at FS and a serviceable fill-in during Warfield's suspension.

Certainly not the top of my wish list, but I would have liked to have had him available if other FAs fall through.

Phobia
03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm not upset. I didn't think we were getting him anyway.

Eleazar
03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm not upset.

I WOULD be upset if we had ignored corner and linebacker and signed a safety instead.

Coach
03-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm not upset.

I WOULD be upset if we had ignored corner and linebacker and signed a safety instead.

Well, we did sign Eric Crouch, so we're 1/3rds on the way to be upset.

Eleazar
03-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Well, we did sign Eric Crouch, so we're 1/3rds on the way to be upset.

Are you sure he's 1/3 of a football player?

ILChief
03-07-2005, 10:36 AM
one down, two to go (Rolle and Hartwell). Way to go, Carl!!!!! :thumb:

BigChiefFan
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I hate to see him signed to another team. The guy would have been a nice addition. Him being able to play CB and Safety would have been a nice. I think there's other alternatives out there, but he's a good player.

Coach
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Are you sure he's 1/3 of a football player?

Probably not. Won't suprise me if he quits again.

Stinger
03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
one down, two to go (Rolle and Hartwell). Way to go, Carl!!!!! :thumb:

ROFL Yeah it all part of Carl's Master Plan waitem out till they get tired of talking to everyone. Bore them into signing.

eazyb81
03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm not too upset about losing Smith. Supposedly he was only entertaining offers that assured him of playing CB, and of course he wanted to be paid accordingly. The fact that he didn't want to play safety any more was the reason the Bucs didn't resign him.

BigChiefFan
03-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm not too upset about losing Smith. Supposedly he was only entertaining offers that assured him of playing CB, and of course he wanted to be paid accordingly. The fact that he didn't want to play safety any more was the reason the Bucs didn't resign him.
I heard an interview with Smith and he didn't say anything about only wanting to play corner. They asked him what position he would play for the Chiefs and he said he didn't care, he just wanted to be on the field.

eazyb81
03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
I heard an interview with Smith and he didn't say anything about only wanting to play corner. They asked him what position he would play for the Chiefs and he said he didn't care, he just wanted to be on the field.

I think that is just posturing on his part. I have been to a couple Bucs boards and talked to a few Bucs fans and they say that his requests to play CB and be paid like a CB were the reasons they didn't resign him. Of course, I guess it could just be sour grapes on their part, but that is what I have heard.

BigChiefFan
03-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I think that is just posturing on his part. I have been to a couple Bucs boards and talked to a few Bucs fans and they say that his requests to play CB and be paid like a CB were the reasons they didn't resign him. Of course, I guess it could just be sour grapes on their part, but that is what I have heard.
Could be, but it came straight from the horse's mouth.

shaneo69
03-07-2005, 10:49 AM

Those Buc fans must be dumbasses. Yeah, he prefers to play CB, but the Saints told him he would be replacing Tebucky Jones at FS. The Bucs couldn't re-sign him because they have no cap room at all.

BigMeatballDave
03-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Good. I'd rather have Hartwell, Bell, and Rolle or Surtain...

TEX
03-07-2005, 10:57 AM

I agree, but one - by - one I bet those players sign elswhere as well. In the end, we'll probably have to trade draft picks for Surtain. :shake:

dirk digler
03-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Heck right now I would just about take any signing. They could sign a new waterboy and I would be happy.

shaneo69
03-07-2005, 11:03 AM
I agree, but one - by - one I bet those players sign elswhere as well. In the end, we'll probably have to trade draft picks for Surtain. :shake:

I have a feeling that that's what will happen as well. Of course, once all the good CB's are off the market, the Dolphs will have more leverage, so we'll probably have to throw in a 5th rounder along with our 2nd rounder. Why in the hell would you give up picks for a CB when you coulda got one just as good for nothing? They're going to have to renegotiate Surtain's contract anyway and give him a new signing bonus, so WTF??

nascher
03-07-2005, 11:09 AM
He signed quickly and on the cheap for CP not cheap enough lol

TRR
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm glad we didn't sign Smith. His off the field problems really scared me away. Smith flashing a gun any chance he could get is something we don't need on this team.

ILChief
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
good, give part of what we were gonna give Smith to Hartwell and GET THE DAMN DEAL DONE CARL YOU PHUQTARD!!!

the Talking Can
03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm glad we didn't sign Smith. His off the field problems really scared me away. Smith flashing a gun any chance he could get is something we don't need on this team.

but you're cool with Rolle beating up his wife?

Eleazar
03-07-2005, 12:14 PM

I don't want to trade picks, but Surtain is the best corner available IMO, when all things are considered

HolmeZz
03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
We couldn't do 5 years, 15 mil, with a 3.5 mil SB? That's an absolute friggin' bargin for someone like Smith.

jspchief
03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
but you're cool with Rolle beating up his wife?

Give the guy a break, it was Valentine's day... :)

Rausch
03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Eh, maybe it is just me but was never really intersted in him. Did we really need another Safty/Corner?
He wouldn't have been that expensive, and it would have been nice to start the guy out at CB until Warfield returned, then moved him to FS to take Wood's spot...

HolmeZz
03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I wonder what price we were lowballing him for if he signed for that cheap.

Mr. Laz
03-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Saints sign DB Smith to five-year deal

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

The New Orleans Saints gain is a divisional rival's loss.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Saints have agreed to terms with former Tampa Bay Bucs defensive back Dwight Smith on a five-year deal believed to be worth $15 million with a signing bonus in the $3.5 million range.
Smith had tremendous interest as free agency began to approach but an incident two weeks ago in which Smith was arrested for brandishing a pellet gun severely hurt his stock. However, despite the trouble Smith is an extremely valuable defensive back who can play safety or cornerback effectively. In addition, he brings a tough attitude that others on the Bucs respected.

Smith has played in all but one game during his four-year career and has picked off 12 passes over the previous three seasons. During his rookie year he even returned 16 kicks for a 22-yard average. Last season according to NFL.com stats he had an impressive 83 tackles.

Smith had interest from several teams but his recent arrest curtailed heavy courtships. However, the Saints investigated the incident and showed enough faith in Smith to bring him into the fold.

BigChiefFan
03-07-2005, 01:52 PM
We couldn't do 5 years, 15 mil, with a 3.5 mil SB? That's an absolute friggin' bargin for someone like Smith.I agree. The Saints got a good deal.

matts22
03-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree. The Saints got a good deal.

I too agree.

I want to say "Carl is saving it so we can get a CB and Hartwell"

But my hope is fading fast...