PDA

View Full Version : Upshaw ... where's the ridicule?

Ugly Duck
12-08-2000, 12:12 PM
Ok, I know that all of you hate Romo with a passion. However, where is the uproar about Upshaw, a large African-American NFL player, spitting in the face of the white punter?

It's the same as the Romo-Stokes incident.
Why isn't Upshaw being labeled as a racist?

I know there was *some* discussion on the matter, but very little. I'm just curious. And, I'm not just talking about on this BB - there hasn't been a whole lot said about it in the media.

Does it have to be on a nationally televised event in order to receive the attention?

egonzo
12-08-2000, 12:15 PM
Regardlees of who spit on whom, it is wrong, and gives the NFL a "black" eye. Crap like this doen't need publicity, it needs to stop, period. Hence the HUGE fine....

Ugly Duck
12-08-2000, 12:17 PM
I agree... I just find it interesting that there hasn't been much discussion.

I recall when Romo spit on Stokes (I think on MNF) that it was the talk of all major discussions on TV, sports radio and BBs across the land.

Gracie Dean
12-08-2000, 12:19 PM
I wasn't even aware of it until today. I think spitting on someone is the worst thing you can do short of pissing or ****ting upon them. However, some people are into all 3. Maybe Upshaw was trying to see if the punter was into that sort of thing and was inquiring into his availability after the game....

DoktorSmith
12-08-2000, 12:19 PM
MHM-

I dispise all this crap and approve of the seriously escalated fine.

At least I have not seen anyone defending Upshaw by claiming that "everybody does it."

xoxo~
gaz
slinging the only smack a 5-8 team is allowed.<BR>

egonzo
12-08-2000, 12:21 PM
MHM, you might've just answered your own question. If this would've been across the nation on MNF, it might've garnered more attention...?

Fat Homer
12-08-2000, 12:24 PM
Niether incident should have anything to do with race...they are equally wrong...however, in this world, it is a fact that when one color does something to another color it can be labled racist...Romo happenes to do most of his "brilliant" moves in very public venues...ie...nationally televised games...if the letter I read from Tagliabue has any bite in it...this type of incident will not be tolerated regardless of who does what to whom....

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Ugly Duck
12-08-2000, 12:25 PM
Damn you Gaz... :D

I am not sure that I said "everyone does it", but I am sure that I said Romo wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last to do it.

It was an admittedly shaky defense, but I know I was right in making the statement. Also, I wasn't defending him... just sorta sticking up for him while he was getting abused by some of you kids. <P>

Gracie Dean
12-08-2000, 12:26 PM
I think Upshaw could have justified the abhorable action by stating that he didn't want to do it but Jimmy Raye talked him into it.

egonzo
12-08-2000, 12:29 PM
Phob, are you drinking and posting again? http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Gracie Dean
12-08-2000, 12:31 PM
stevieray,

Are you hitting on me? You just want to take advantage me in a incapacitated state, don't you?

egonzo
12-08-2000, 12:35 PM
Ahhh, so you admit it. As I head to the fridge for my second "friday" beer!

Likes his "man" with a sense of humor...LOL!

Gracie Dean
12-08-2000, 12:37 PM
LMAO - you don't want to catch me in a giddy mood, stevieray. You've learned the hard way exchanges during those times can become quite dry.

egonzo
12-08-2000, 12:40 PM
Raise your hand if you're SURE...

Gracie Dean
12-08-2000, 12:44 PM
LMAO - I had forgotten the exact word but certainly not the exchange....