PDA

View Full Version : Carl IS still negotiating?

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Carl told Rhonda moss on 610 that we ARE still negotiating with Hartwell, and plan on bringing in Smoot and Law. Get er' done Carl!

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
If they sign Smoot and Hartwell to boot, I would draft Thomas Davis to play safety out of UGA....That would complete a major talent overhaul that is badly needed.

Wrasse
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Carl told Rhonda moss on 610 that we ARE still negotiating with Hartwell, and plan on bringing in Smoot and Law. Get er' done Carl!
Freakin' sweet! :)

** really wants Hartwell in R&G **

Gravedigger
03-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Well supposedly mike maslowski isn't gonna be healthy at the beginning of the season and shaun barber might not be around next year cause we agreed to an injury settlement with him. So those are two spots that will be lacking. I say bring in Hartwell still no matter what then try to get Law if he will cooperate. But yeah we definetly could get a good rookie Line Backer or Defensive Back in the draft with the 15 pick. Or we could always still trade the 2nd round pick for patrick surtain like the dolphins wanted to. It's not like our second round pics do anything anyways.

KevB
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
If they sign Smoot and Hartwell to boot, I would draft Thomas Davis to play safety out of UGA....That would complete a major talent overhaul that is badly needed.

Many are now projecting Davis to OLB. I'd still look CB in this case, although I agree that safety is still a need.

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Carl also states that Smoot and Law will be in KC "within the next couple of days" Also says trade talks with surtain are being held up and are waiting for miami to cave on their 2nd rounder demands.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Smoot is almost signed with the vikings on ESPN.com

They know that, it was just a name to throw out there so he wouldn't look too stupid. They won't get him, and they know it.

jspchief
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Almost? Rolle was almost signed with the Chiefs according to ESPN.

Chiefs Pantalones
Carl also states that Smoot and Law will be in KC "within the next couple of days" Also says trade talks with surtain are being held up and are waiting for miami to cave on their 2nd rounder demands.

Someone needs to tell Carl that he can't draft well.

Dude is stupid. Trade the pick, I don't want Eddie Freeman (name about 12 other crappy players in this spot) part 2.

FloridaChief
and shaun barber might not be around next year cause we agreed to an injury settlement with him.

Am I the last to know about this?

Imon Yourside
Now 610 is speculating that we are turning our attention to another position and away from hartwell. Wadda cluster****.

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
You have a direct link? I see nothing there on ESPN.com...

DaKCMan AP
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM

what about dealing a 4th rounder for Donovon Darius.

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Many are now projecting Davis to OLB. I'd still look CB in this case, although I agree that safety is still a need.

Yeah, I know but if we sign Hartwell I would play him at safety...I bet he will be a stud at either position...

If they sign Smoot or a similar young CB then I would draft Davis if he is there...If they sign Law then I would go with Carlos Rogers at CB because Law isn't a spring chicken so we won't get many years out of him and a high risk of needing a in season injury replacement thus grooming a young CB would make a lot of sense.

Logical
03-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Freakin' sweet! :)

** really wants Hartwell in R&G **Man I am totally lost on how we would use them neither are OLBs. Matter of fact Hartwell is much closer than the 260 lb Bell and he has made it clear he only wants to play ILB. We don't have the other needed lbs to add two OLBs to play a 3-4. Just makes no sense at all.

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 05:20 PM
We HAD a pretty decent olb'r in Donnie Edwards, Dammit GR!

InChiefsHeaven
03-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Guys -n- Dolls,

I think the key here is to QUIT LISTENING TO THESE ****ERS ON THE RADIO, STOP READING THE PAPER, AND JUST CHECK THE HEADLINES...it's the only way to maintain any kind of sanity...

...having said that, I of course will not be taking my own advice so...yeah...

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 05:21 PM

certainly a good player but would require a really big contract and Bell and Hartwell and any good CB we sign will take most of our financial leverage away..

Baby Lee
Am I the last to know about this?
Maybe not the last, just the most recent. I'm sure are . . . tens . . . of people in . . . New Guinea . . . who haven't heard yet. ;)

keg in kc
if we sign Hartwell I would play him at safety...What a perfect quote for some devious poster to intentionally misconstrue and misuse. Shame I don't know anyone like that.

:evil:

FearRaef
03-08-2005, 05:22 PM
i don't post much, but stop pinning your hopes to these elite players. we're going to get the 2005 equivalent of dexter mccleon at corner and some raw linebacker "who has the potential to be a solid contributor to the chiefs in the future." no players who can come in and be impact players next season.

Archie Bunker
03-08-2005, 05:22 PM

I might be demented but I think out of Woods, Wesley, Battle, McCleon, Harts, Pile, and Bartee the Chiefs kind find 2 good corners without giving up a pick.

Logical
03-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Carl also states that Smoot and Law will be in KC "within the next couple of days" Also says trade talks with surtain are being held up and are waiting for miami to cave on their 2nd rounder demands.So what if we waste a 2nd rounder we routinely waste them on draft day. 2nd we have no 3rd rounder to give them so is Carl so insane he thinks he is going to get Surtain for a 4th rounder?:shake:

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 05:23 PM
What a perfect quote for some devious poster to intentionally misconstrue and misuse. Shame I don't know anyone like that.

:evil:

Now I know how these famous people feel when they claim to be quoted out of context. :D

HolmeZz
03-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Darius would probably cost more than a 4th. Plus, he's asking for a lot of money for a safety.

InChiefsHeaven
03-08-2005, 05:24 PM
i don't post much, but stop pinning your hopes to these elite players. we're going to get the 2005 equivalent of dexter mccleon at corner and some raw linebacker "who has the potential to be a solid contributor to the chiefs in the future." no players who can come in and be impact players next season.

Ah, piss off...be sure to make a habit of not posting much...

...just kidding...kinda...
:mad:

Bell is a good signing. I wouldn't call him a raw project.

jspchief
03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Darius would probably cost more than a 4th. Plus, he's asking for a lot of money for a safety.

Jax is saying they want a 2nd for him, plus he wants a really big contract (he's trying to make up for 3 years as a franchise player).

Logical
03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I might be demented but I think out of Woods, Wesley, Battle, McCleon, Harts, Pile, and Bartee the Chiefs kind find 2 good corners without giving up a pick.ROFL:clap: That is some of the best sarcasm I have read.

ROYC75
03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
NFL | Law Injury Update - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:03:13 -0800

ESPN's John Clayton reports free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) will have his walking boot removed from his injured foot near the end of March.

The Bad Guy
03-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I wish someone would ask Carl why he thinks a 2nd is too high for a 3-time Pro Bowl CB, but a 3rd and a 5th isn't too much for a guard that we tried to convert to tackle - only to see the experiment fail.

It's unbelievable to me that he's that hung up on a 2nd rounder. What the hell does he think that teams are going to hand Carl a Pro Bowler for nothing?

Bell was a start - if he can stay healthy, but I'm not going to be happy unless we get one of the top CBs left.

picasso
03-08-2005, 05:29 PM
We HAD a pretty decent olb'r in Donnie Edwards, Dammit GR!

No he wasn't! :rolleyes:

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
"We'll turn our attention to another defensive position of need," Peterson said.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/11082661.htm

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I wish someone would ask Carl why he thinks a 2nd is too high for a 3-time Pro Bowl CB, but a 3rd and a 5th isn't too much for a guard that we tried to convert to tackle - only to see the experiment fail.

It's unbelievable to me that he's that hung up on a 2nd rounder. What the hell does he think that teams are going to hand Carl a Pro Bowler for nothing?

Bell was a start - if he can stay healthy, but I'm not going to be happy unless we get one of the top CBs left.

I sorta agree...If we were beyond free agent signing period and we had an injury and needed a CB I would say that a 2nd rounder for Surtain in that situation would be a very good deal...But since we are in a free agency signing period why wouldn't you get a deal done with a similar type of CB(and they were a few out there) when it wouldn't cost you any picks? I could also understand the trade if Surtain were already locked into a cap friendly long term deal but that isn't the case...Thus it will take a big contract plus a 2nd rounder to get him...Pissing away the second rounder when you don't have to doesn't make a lick of sense to me...Granted a few more days of pissing around and the Chiefs will be backed into the position of "having to".

Archie Bunker
03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/11082661.htm

That could still mean MLB if they view Bell as a SAM candidate. It does mention that he could play either.

Great article Im getting pumped.

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 05:36 PM
No he wasn't! :rolleyes:

So your saying that Donnie isn't better than anyone on our defense before the bell signing today?

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 05:37 PM
I sorta agree...If we were beyond free agent signing period and we had an injury and needed a CB I would say that a 2nd rounder for Surtain in that situation would be a very good deal...But since we are in a free agency signing period why wouldn't you get a deal done with a similar type of CB(and they were a few out there) when it wouldn't cost you any picks? I could also understand the trade if Surtain were already locked into a cap friendly long term deal but that isn't the case...Thus it will take a big contract plus a 2nd rounder to get him...Pissing away the second rounder when you don't have to doesn't make a lick of sense to me...Granted a few more days of pissing around and the Chiefs will be backed into the position of "having to".I think that's valid on all points. As far as Surtain is concerned, it wouldn't surprise me to see that drag out all the way to the draft, regardless of who ends up with him.

Logical
03-08-2005, 05:39 PM
I sorta agree...If we were beyond free agent signing period and we had an injury and needed a CB I would say that a 2nd rounder for Surtain in that situation would be a very good deal...But since we are in a free agency signing period why wouldn't you get a deal done with a similar type of CB(and they were a few out there) when it wouldn't cost you any picks? I could also understand the trade if Surtain were already locked into a cap friendly long term deal but that isn't the case...Thus it will take a big contract plus a 2nd rounder to get him...Pissing away the second rounder when you don't have to doesn't make a lick of sense to me...Granted a few more days of pissing around and the Chiefs will be backed into the position of "having to".

I don't see why we have to give Surtain a new contract. Then next year if he is unreasonable Franchise his ass if he won't sign a reasonable contract.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 05:40 PM
That could still mean MLB if they view Bell as a SAM candidate. It does mention that he could play either.

Great article Im getting pumped.

Would you copy and paste that article and post it on this thread?

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't see why we have to give Surtain a new contract. Then next year if he is unreasonable Franchise his ass if he won't sign a reasonable contract.Trade a second round pick for one year of service? That's insanity. No thanks.

morphius
03-08-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't see why we have to give Surtain a new contract. Then next year if he is unreasonable Franchise his ass if he won't sign a reasonable contract.
I think they do it to keep the player from holding out.

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 05:44 PM

Then that turns into a nasty hold out mess and you end up getting one year out of a middle 2nd round pick. I'm guessing any team that makes that deal for him will only do it if a long term deal can be worked out....Not to mention contracts blowing up quick, the franchise tag cap hit after next season could be nearly unbearable and what might be a "reasonable" long term deal at that point could make an expensive contract right now look cheap...

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Would you copy and paste that article and post it on this thread?
Chiefs sign linebacker Kendrell Bell

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Linebacker Kendrell Bell, the defensive rookie of the year four years ago, signed a seven-year contract with the defensively troubled Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday.

Bell, 6-foot-1, 257 pounds, was one of the last big name free agents on the markets even though he played just three games last season with Pittsburgh. His best season came as a rookie in 2001, when he made the Pro Bowl after recording 88 tackles, nine sacks and a pair of forced fumbles in his first season.

Bell was troubled with shoulder and groin injuries last week and the New York Giants passed on him as a free agent after a physical, although they did not specify the exact problem.

"I had a conversation with (the Giants') general manager and he said he did not fail their physical," team president Carl Peterson said.

Peterson also said Kansas City conducted an "extensive physical" on Bell.

"He's healthy enough that I feel good about it," Peterson said.

Bell could either play inside or outside linebacker.

"I'm doing good. I'm great," Bell said. "I can play today. I can play right now."

In Bell's only other full season, 2003, he was a Pro Bowl alternate after recording 108 tackles and five sacks, an interception and a forced fumble.

"We're pleased to acquire Kendrell's services and we think he will make an impact for the Chiefs in 2005 and beyond," Peterson said. "He's a quality football player, as well as a quality person."

The Chiefs have finished near the bottom of the league in most key defensive categories each of the past three seasons. At the same time their offense, led by such Pro Bowl stars as running back Priest Holmes and tight end Tony Gonzalez, has been among the NFL's best. But Kansas City believes it may not be able to receive much more than one more season before age begins to wear down key offensive players.

"They're a great offense," Bell said. "I know the defense is up and coming. There's no question in my mind that the Chiefs are Super Bowl contenders."

While going 7-9 last season, the Chiefs finished 32nd in pass defense and 31st overall.

"I'm not saying I'm coming in here to be a savior," Bell said. "I'm coming in to try to be a part of something special. I feel like the Chiefs are just a couple of players away from where they want to be. They went to the playoffs the year before."

Kansas City has been talking to other free agents, including linebacker Ed Hartwell and cornerbacks Fred Smoot and Ty Law.

"We'll turn our attention to another defensive position of need," Peterson said.

link (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/11082661.htm)

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
**** law... With Bell signed for 7, we can start building a strong foundation for a defense that will be okay today and fantastic in teh future. Sign the marquee young players.

Logical
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Then that turns into a nasty hold out mess and you end up getting one year out of a middle 2nd round pick. I'm guessing any team that makes that deal for him will only do it if a long term deal can be worked out....Not to mention contracts blowing up quick, the franchise tag cap hit after next season could be nearly unbearable and what might be a "reasonable" long term deal at that point could make an expensive contract right now look cheap...

If that was true why do so few players hold out beyond the preseason when they are franchised? Answer is because if they do they are losing money they can never get back and if they hold out I believe it is eight games they lose a year off their NFL retirement and seniority. Most all franchised players eventually sign the franchise tag contract or modify their demands so a long term contract can be signed.

Heck if Surtain held for a season as a franchise tag player he would probably be losing out on around 9 million dollars.

NaptownChief
03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
If that was true why do so few players hold out beyond the preseason when they are franchised? Answer is because if they do they are losing money they can never get back and if they hold out I believe it is eight games they lose a year off their NFL retirement and seniority. Most all franchised players eventually sign the franchise tag contract or modify their demands so a long term contract can be signed.

Heck if Surtain held for a season as a franchise tag player he would probably be losing out on around 9 million dollars.

Most do sign the tender but it creates uncertainty that can eff with a teams draft decisions and chemistry....and based on how well Numbnuts Peterson handles negotiations the odds are much higher of a hold out here than elsewhere...Remember the brilliant Dan Williams situation?

whoman69
03-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Someone needs to tell Carl that he can't draft well.

Dude is stupid. Trade the pick, I don't want Eddie Freeman (name about 12 other crappy players in this spot) part 2.
Too bad he doesn't read the planet. He'd already know.

Logical
03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Most do sign the tender but it creates uncertainty that can eff with a teams draft decisions and chemistry....and based on how well Numbnuts Peterson handles negotiations the odds are much higher of a hold out here than elsewhere...Remember the brilliant Dan Williams situation?I will never defend Peterson so you have trumped me on this one. That means Surtain is not coming here I pretty much guarantee.

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Remember the brilliant Dan Williams situation?

Still trying to forget that one, didn't we let go of a certain DT that went to dungver to keep Dan the man williams ie the 2nd coming?

milkman
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I hope that Bell is healthy, and that he can be an impact type player, but this quote worries me.

"They're a great offense" Bell said.
"The defense is up and coming."

The man is delusional!

Logical
03-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Still trying to forget that one, didn't we let go of a certain DT that went to dungver to keep Dan the man williams ie the 2nd coming?I assume you mean lost a DE as Neil Smith was a DE not a DT.

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I assume you mean lost a DE as Neil Smith was a DE not a DT.

NO NO NO, it was a DT who ended being pretty damned good and is still playing. Carl and Marty said "We couldn't afford to keep him". What was his name, LOL i know Neil Smith's story all too well.

Baby Lee
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
NO NO NO, it was a DT who ended being pretty damned good and is still playing. Carl and Marty said "We couldn't afford to keep him". What was his name, LOL i know Neil Smith's story all too well.
You trying to think of Keith Traylor?

Logical
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
NO NO NO, it was a DT who ended being pretty damned good and is still playing. Carl and Marty said "We couldn't afford to keep him". What was his name, LOL i know Neil Smith's story all too well.I am lost I do not recall a DT going to Denver from KC. You might be right though?

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
The reason we let Neil Smith go because it was between him and Derrick Thomas, not Keith Traylor. We signed Dan Williams to replace Neil Smith. Williams had his breakout year and then became a bum.

Archie Bunker
03-08-2005, 08:31 PM
I read on a couple of other sites that Hartwell is deciding in the next couple of hours. Anyone else heard this?

Kris Kringle
03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
I read on a couple of other sites that Hartwell is deciding in the next couple of hours. Anyone else heard this? I'm sick of waiting. If he signs with KC, can you call me at home? Thanks

InChiefsHeaven
03-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I read on a couple of other sites that Hartwell is deciding in the next couple of hours. Anyone else heard this?

Link?

Lzen
03-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Screw that!! Just give them the 2nd rounder.
:cuss:

HolmeZz
03-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Based on him saying he's ready to decide and CP sounding like we're not that far along with any negotiations, I don't see how he possibly ends up with us.

VonneMarie
03-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Link?
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=284&threadID=1400002&lastPostID=7332784

Archie Bunker
03-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Link?

Some guy over at the espn board. Says it was on 810. Since this is the only site I trust I figured I would ask if any of the locals heard it.

At least I didnt start a new thread about it.

Sorry, Get out the nuthooks.

Imon Yourside
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
You trying to think of Keith Traylor?

Thank you yes that's the one. I could have sworn we let go of traylor to keep dan the man.

paulgkc
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
IF Carl signs Hartwell, then he is sending a message to the entire fan base- We are serious about winning, and winning this year. Our front line is unspectacular but isn't absolutely terrible like it was two years ago. Our linebackers would be awesome. Then sign another safety and draft Pac-Man Jones, and our secondary is fine. Our defense doesn't need to be incredible, just keep the opposing team under 30 points.

beer bacon
03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
IF Carl signs Hartwell, then he is sending a message to the entire fan base- We are serious about winning, and winning this year. Our front line is unspectacular but isn't absolutely terrible like it was two years ago. Our linebackers would be awesome. Then sign another safety and draft Pac-Man Jones, and our secondary is fine. Our defense doesn't need to be incredible, just keep the opposing team under 30 points.

:rolleyes: Our defense needs to be as good as it can possibly be. This "just needs to be ok" shit has ALREADY bitten us in the ass and will again if we don't go all out.

Rausch
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
:rolleyes: Our defense needs to be as good as it can possibly be. This "just needs to be ok" shit will end up biting us in the ass.

Like in 95, 97, and...eh....you get the idea...

milkman
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
:rolleyes: Our defense needs to be as good as it can possibly be. This "just needs to be ok" shit has ALREADY bitten us in the ass and will again if we don't go all out.

I couldn't agree more.
Screw the idea of settling for ok.
Put me the best damn D possible on the field

Stinger
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM

:shrug:

Cardinals | Hopeful of Landing Hartwell - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:00:19 -0800

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green sounded like he is still hopeful of the team landing free agent LB Ed Hartwell (Ravens).

Dolphins | Offer on Table for Hartwell? - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:59:53 -0800

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports free agent LB Ed Hartwell (Ravens) is reportedly considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=69244&page=1&pp=15

althought the dolphins board is trying to figure where the money would come from.

nychief
03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
pony up lamar

Stinger
03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=69244&page=1&pp=15

althought the dolphins board is trying to figure where the money would come from.

Ok which one of you post this on the above thread concerning the offer to hartwell?

post 101

I rather sign Scott Fujita whos cheaper and sign Sharper cause we need a safety badly

Toad
03-08-2005, 09:55 PM
...shaun barber might not be around next year cause we agreed to an injury settlement with him. .

When did this happen? Was there multiple duplicate posts that I missed?

unlurking
03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
When did this happen? Was there multiple duplicate posts that I missed?
I'm still waiting to hear about this too.

nychief
03-08-2005, 10:05 PM
we never reached a injury settlement with Barber, as far as I can tell he is trying to come back from his second ACL in the last five years...

patteeu
03-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Jax is saying they want a 2nd for him, plus he wants a really big contract (he's trying to make up for 3 years as a franchise player).

What's to make up for? The franchise tag get's you the average of the top 5 players at your position. Looking forward, that represents a risk because you could get a career ending injury in year 1 and then you are done. But looking backward over 3 years it makes for a pretty strong income profile. He's trying to maximize his future paydays, just like evey other pro player.

patteeu
03-08-2005, 10:17 PM

If we don't have to franchise Surtain, that means they have the franchise tag available to use on someone else. Besides, franchising a CB is pretty damn expensive these days. Why rush into trading a 2nd for Surtain now. They should continue to look at FA alternatives until either (a) Miami lowers it's asking price, (b) Surtain agrees to a more friendly long-term contract, or (c) the Chiefs run out of alternatives. The only risk is that someone else might part with a 2nd in the meantime. I don't think Miami would up the price just because they knew the FA CB pool dried up. They'll still take the 2nd, IMO.

bringbackmarty
03-08-2005, 10:25 PM
:rolleyes: Our defense needs to be as good as it can possibly be. This "just needs to be ok" shit has ALREADY bitten us in the ass and will again if we don't go all out.fukkin a right!

Delano
03-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Surtain is still in play...

Chiefs | Still Discussing Surtain Trade With Miami - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.KFFL.com)
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:31:08 -0800

Kansas City Chiefs president Carl Peterson hinted the Chiefs are still working on a deal with the Miami Dolphins to acquire CB Patrick Surtain, reports KCChiefs.com. "That door is certainly open," Peterson said. "It is as much with Miami as it is with his agent, if we can get to some kind of contract that makes sense. I think that is a difficult thing to do, but it is something we still have on the table. They are still talking to us and want to continue to talk to us because I think Patrick would like to leave Miami."

RINGLEADER
03-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Surtain is still in play...

Chiefs | Still Discussing Surtain Trade With Miami - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.KFFL.com)
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:31:08 -0800

Kansas City Chiefs president Carl Peterson hinted the Chiefs are still working on a deal with the Miami Dolphins to acquire CB Patrick Surtain, reports KCChiefs.com. "That door is certainly open," Peterson said. "It is as much with Miami as it is with his agent, if we can get to some kind of contract that makes sense. I think that is a difficult thing to do, but it is something we still have on the table. They are still talking to us and want to continue to talk to us because I think Patrick would like to leave Miami."

Am I the only one who gets a sense from reading Carl's quotes on free-agency that he feels like it's entirely the players' responsibility to come to him? I read this and get absolutely no sense that Carl is really doing anything to get the players the Chiefs need to win.

I know this is nothing new...but hearing it from Carl's own mouth is so disheartening.

nychief
03-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Am I the only one who gets a sense from reading Carl's quotes on free-agency that he feels like it's entirely the players' responsibility to come to him? I read this and get absolutely no sense that Carl is really doing anything to get the players the Chiefs need to win.

I know this is nothing new...but hearing it from Carl's own mouth is so disheartening.

I think that is just his southern california bullshit manner...

Straight, No Chaser
03-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Am I the only one who gets a sense from reading Carl's quotes on free-agency that he feels like it's entirely the players' responsibility to come to him? ...

well you are from Confusion USA.

Carl will not overpay (you know that). As the number of top tier FA's gets smaller so will the asking price. There's not a lot of teams willing to go into double figures. I think you'll see another pickup soon. Phase two of FA is near. There's a ton of players in that group --don't be surprised if Carl goes fishing there.

--->

Chiefs Pantalones
03-09-2005, 12:10 AM
well you are from Confusion USA.

Carl will not overpay (you know that). As the number of top tier FA's gets smaller so will the asking price. There's not a lot of teams willing to go into double figures. I think you'll see another pickup soon. Phase two of FA is near. There's a ton of players in that group --don't be surprised if Carl goes fishing there.

--->

I hope you're not talking about Surtain in that post, even though he's not a FA, he's definately not a 2nd tier player and shouldn't be treated like one from Carl. Carl is just cheap and is a bad GM/CEO/Pres./whatever else he is payed to do. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Stinger
03-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Harold Lewis, the agent for linebacker Ed Hartwell, said there is no truth to the published report that the Dolphins made an offer to Hartwell, a free agent who played for Baltimore.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/09/a11c_dolphins_0309.html

Last sentence of the article :thumb:

Archie Bunker
03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/09/a11c_dolphins_0309.html

Last sentence of the article :thumb:

:hmmm: