PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com: Kendrell Bell Press Conference

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
&A LB KENDRELL BELL
Mar 08, 2005, 6:09:31 PM

ďKendrell Bell brings a great deal of explosiveness to our defense. He was one of those players you had to account for on every snap offensively when we faced him in Tennessee twice a year. He ran a 4.57 (40-yard dash) coming out of college. When you turn on the film, his ability to cover ground and blow up plays is apparent. He is an experienced and explosive player who could work at any of our three linebacker positions. But no matter where you line him up, heís a threat to blitz and create havoc which is exactly what weíre looking for in our defensive players.Ē

- Gunther Cunningham
Chiefs Defensive Coordinator

Q: How healthy are you?

BELL: ďIím good. Iím doing great.Ē

Q: Could you go out and play today if you needed to?

BELL: ďI can play today. If you want to play some throwback football, Iíll play right now.Ē

Q: What happened in negotiations with the N.Y. Giants?

BELL: ďWith the Giants we thought we had a deal, but we couldnít work it out. I donít knowbell 2 what youíve heard, but thatís the process of negotiations. You try to meet even and we didnít.Ē

Q: What was the difference with the Chiefs?

BELL: ďThe difference with the Chiefs was that we worked out a deal. We didnít initially have a deal, but we worked out one that me, my agent and the Chiefs organization felt was convenient for the both of us. Thatís why Iím a Chief now.Ē

Q: Will you be the middle linebacker in the Cheifs defensive scheme?

BELL: ďWe havenít worked that out yet, but I spoke with Coach (Gunther) Cunningham and he said he doesnít know exactly where he wants to play me as far as playing the SAM, the MIKE or the WILL. But Iím pretty sure that when I get there and we go through the defense and everything, weíre going to work out whatís best for the defense and what position I would max out my potential at.Ē

Q: Where would you want to play most?

BELL: ďIn the four-three I feel that you could play any one. Iíve been playing the MIKE (middle) linebacker for awhile, so thatís something Iím familiar with. But I donít think Iíll have too much problem adjusting to the outside if thatís where Coach wants me to be.Ē

Q: Can you talk about the signing process with the Chiefs?

BELL: ďThe process with the Chiefs is that I came in and had a good feeling. For me it was a good process. I met with the coaches and Mr. Peterson, Coach Cunningham. The way we conversed and talked about the things went well. I kind of roots with the Chiefs because my godfather, Jim Marsalis, played for them and I had the opportunity to come to one of the Chiefs practices. So I had a lot of things pushing me towards wanting to become a Chief. There is definitely a great offense and I know the defense is up and coming and I definitely want to be a part of that. Thereís no question in my mind that the Chiefs are Super Bowl contenders.Ē

Q: Jim Marsalis doesnít have any ability to come back and play does he?

BELL: ďI donít know. If you ask him he might say he can. He could probably run up and down the field, but I donít know about cutting too much right about now.Ē

Q: Whatís he told you about Kansas City?

BELL: ďHe told me that it was an honest organization and that it was the right fit for me. I had a chance to go around the city and everything. Itís not that big of a transition for me and I think thatís good for a player like me. He told me itís a great city and the fans are dynamic and itís almost like a college atmosphere. I enjoyed myself when I was in college so that was something else to push me toward playing for the Chiefs.Ē

Q: Are you prepared for the pressures of joining a defense that will look to you as a leader?

BELL: ďIím not saying Iím coming in here to be a savior, Iím coming in to be a part of something special. I feel like the Chiefs are just a couple of players away from being where they want to be. Thatís how the season goes, with a lot of outside people looking in donít understand what goes into having a good year. (The Chiefs) went to the playoffs the year before to a year like last year. The same thing happened to us when I was with the Steelers, we drafted one player who came out and seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle, but in the end he wasnít. Thatís just how it is. You try to fit guys in and bring guys in to get to the championship. Thatís why they got me in, to try to get to the championship and hopefully that will work out.

Q: How will you make the Chiefs defense better?

BELL: ďIím just going to bring my game. Iím not going to try to change up anything with the type of player I am. Iím a very aggressive player and whatever is missing, hopefully Iíll bring it with me. But I know that Iím just coming out there to play my game.Ē

Q: What were the Chiefs telling you about their free agent signing process?

BELL: ďI knew (Jeremiah) Trotter had been in and Hartwell and Samari Rolle. Dwight Smith came in with me and they told everybody that was coming through. That is what they want Ė they want a couple of good, impact players. If they canít get three, get two and if they canít get two, then get one and draft the other guys. Hopefully the situation with that process will work out.Ē

Q: Do you think youíll be ďthe one?Ē

BELL: ďLook, I canít sit here and tell you that Iíll be the one and everything. If I was psychic then maybe I would have to call (psychic) Miss Cleo and put her back to work. I feel like Iíve been brought to the Chiefs for a reason and I fell good. I fell that Iíll be at home with them and when I fell that way I play better.Ē

Q: How much did you talk to Priest Holmes about coming here?

BELL: ďI came down to his event with the kids and we talked briefly. He was telling me about how itís a wonderful organization and how honest they are. Honestly is the best policy when youíre dealing with people. This is a people game and a lot of teams fail to realize that. But the Chiefs recognize that and feeling that Iím comfortable somewhere is how I play my best.Ē

Q: Do you have to prove something after the injuries over the past few seasons?

BELL: ďI played well in the past, but unfortunately I made decisions that led me to injure myself. A lot of those decisions came out of frustration and trying to get better. I can honestly say that my injuries came from trying to get better. I wasnít focused. I honestly believe that Iíll be a lot more focused with the Chiefs than in the past.Ē

Q: Can you expound on the decisions that led to injury?

BELL: ďWith my ankle, the owner told me you donít need to be out there. Iím trying to be a team player and go out there and re-injure it and miss four games. It ended up hurting us in the end when I could have contributed. With the groin injury I did that in the weight room squatting. I worked out during the off-season and when I got back to where I felt like I wanted to squat and I got back in the weight room, I just squatted too much weight. That was pretty much the groin thing.Ē

Q: Why will you be more focused with the Chiefs?

BELL: ďThat comes from feeling comfortable with the coaches. Iím not saying I didnít feel like that in the past, but itís just maturing as a person. The Chiefs definitely have a more mature staff and Iím looking forward to growing from them. That in itself will help me focus. These guys signed me and Iím not a big guy in disappointing people. I want to live up to peopleís expectations and thatís what Iím driving to do?

Q: Did Vermeil coming in the last year of his contract have any effect on your decision? BELL: ďNo. Iíve met with Coach Vermeil and he seems to be a fantastic person. Thatís his decision. Decisions are made every day and they may change your life or they may not. I feel like the staff behind him are very equipped to continue on his success.Ē

Q: Youíre from Augusta, Georgia, so who do you like in the Masters?

BELL: ďI havenít been there, but Iím going for Vijay Singh.Ē

C-Mac
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
He spoke way too highly of the organization.......

siberian khatru
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Jim Marsalis is his godfather? Way cool.

Meanwhile:

Q: Will you be the middle linebacker in the Chiefs defensive scheme?

BELL: ďWe havenít worked that out yet, but I spoke with Coach (Gunther) Cunningham and he said he doesnít know exactly where he wants to play me as far as playing the SAM, the MIKE or the WILL. But Iím pretty sure that when I get there and we go through the defense and everything, weíre going to work out whatís best for the defense and what position I would max out my potential at.Ē

... makes it sound like they're definitely looking for another LB. :thumb:

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 07:03 PM
... makes it sound like they're definitely looking for another LB. :thumb:Q: Do you plan on him being your middle linebacker?

PETERSON: ďI donít think I ever said that. Maybe someone else did. I have been negotiating with (his agent) Todd France on a linebacker that can play more than one position. I think obviously that is one of the reasons we were attracted to Kendrell Bell. Where he lines up will be determined in competition in training camp. He has been playing in a ď30Ē defense in his career in Pittsburgh.Ē

Q: Wherever he plays do you see him as a three-down player?

PETERSON: ďYes with his speed and versatility I do. I will let the coaches make that decision, but I think (defensive coordinator) Gunther (Cunningham) plans on having him in for three downs.Ē

Q: Does this end your pursuit for free agent linebackers?

PETERSON: ďWe will turn our attention to another defensive position of need. We were negotiating at the same time with (LB) Ed Hartwell. But this negotiation with Todd France has been going on for a week. I got comfortable with where we were able to negotiate this deal. We pulled the trigger on it, on a seven-year deal.Ē

siberian khatru
03-08-2005, 07:07 PM
:mad:

I want it ALL!

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
:mad:

I want it ALL!

No kidding. I am little more excited now than I was this afternoon but I really hope Bell stays healthy or the Chiefs just got robbed.

KCWolfman
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
One more LB, an average CB and I will be happy.

nmt1
03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
This guy is on crack. Everyone knows that the Chiefs are the most dishonest team in the league and that they treat all free agents like complete dirt. This guy is terrible. Carl low balled him and he fell for it. Now he's talking like this. This guy must suck and must have been desperate for a job. If he was honest he would've said that the owner is cheap, the GM is a scumbag, and the head coach is delusional. I can't believe the Chiefs front office has already gotten to this guy. I mean, please. He can't be serious.

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 07:25 PM
This guy is on crack. Everyone knows that the Chiefs are the most dishonest team in the league and that they treat all free agents like complete dirt. This guy is terrible. Carl low balled him and he fell for it. Now he's talking like this. This guy must suck and must have been desperate for a job. If he was honest he would've said that the owner is cheap, the GM is a scumbag, and the head coach is delusional. I can't believe the Chiefs front office has already gotten to this guy. I mean, please. He can't be serious.

your schtick is played-out

Pants
03-08-2005, 07:26 PM
I wanted Samari so bad and we were so close... I don't know why people seem to be really afraid of Bell injuring himself, that's the risk you take with any player.

nmt1
03-08-2005, 07:26 PM
your schtick is played-out

It's not my shtick. Look at the first post in this thread. I'm just being negative so I can be right when Bell ends up being a bust and a waste of money.

HemiEd
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
I am really pumped up about having him in a Chiefs uniform. I wonder where all of the Donkey fans are tonight? Is it just a coincindence that they are absent?

Tuckdaddy
03-08-2005, 07:55 PM
he will play hard and do everything he can to win games. Bell can MLB and pretty damn good at that. He's got a mean streak that none of the Chiefs defense has. Welcome aboard Bell.

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 08:01 PM
It's not my shtick. Look at the first post in this thread. I'm just being negative so I can be right when Bell ends up being a bust and a waste of money.

It is your shtick this is all you post about. Give us your football take once every hundred posts for once.

BTW I am semi happy the Chiefs sign Bell but until he has 1 healthy season I will reserve my judgement. I think it is definitely a gamble/risk to sign him to such a large contract and I hope the Chiefs were smart and put in some clauses to protect them in case he gets injured.

InChiefsHell
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Joe Satriani sucks major baows... :p

nmt1
03-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Joe Satriani sucks major baows... :p

As does Alice Cooper.

InChiefsHell
03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
It is your shtick this is all you post about. Give us your football take once every hundred posts for once.

BTW I am semi happy the Chiefs sign Bell but until he has 1 healthy season I will reserve my judgement. I think it is definitely a gamble/risk to sign him to such a large contract and I hope the Chiefs were smart and put in some clauses to protect them in case he gets injured.

I feel great about this signing, mostly because I'm tired of feeling shitty about this team. I'll come back down to earth some day, but for now, I'm happy as a clam, baby!! :thumb:

InChiefsHell
03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
As does Alice Cooper.

:banghead: ...shoulda seen that coming... :shake:

BIG_DADDY
03-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Well the guy sounds grounded, he isn't blowing smoke up our ass that's for sure. Lets hope he stays healthy and has a big year. I am hoping Siavii steps up this year on the line as well. If he is going to be anything he should look like a different player this year.

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 08:06 PM
I feel great about this signing, mostly because I'm tired of feeling shitty about this team. I'll come back down to earth some day, but for now, I'm happy as a clam, baby!! :thumb:

I think it is a step in the right direction as long as he can stay healthy. We still need 5-6 more new D players to make the D respectable though IMO. I know we won't get that but it is nice to dream.

nmt1
03-08-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm ambivalent to this signing as well as the lack of signings over the last week or so. As usual, I'm waiting to see what happens on the field.

You have to look no further the post #2 on this thread to see someone who is actually serious when they post things like I did earlier.

I find it quite an anomoly that someone can be a fan of a team and at the same time think said team can do no right. One would think that someone who enjoyed following a team would think it did some things right and some things wrong.

nmt1
03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
:banghead: ...shoulda seen that coming... :shake:

I'm just messing with you. I'm not a huge Alice Cooper fan but he's OK. I happen to like guitar virtuosity more than a show.

Coach
03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Well the guy sounds grounded, he isn't blowing smoke up our ass that's for sure. Lets hope he stays healthy and has a big year. I am hoping Siavii steps up this year on the line as well. If he is going to be anything he should look like a different player this year.
You and me both. If Siavii steps up, then not only we can play the 4-3, but we can also throw in a little 3-4 on some situations. But, I'm just hoping he steps up big time this year to force Ryan Sims into the bench, because so far, from what I'm seeing, Sims have been a disappointment.

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm ambivalent to this signing as well as the lack of signings over the last week or so. As usual, I'm waiting to see what happens on the field.

You have to look no further the post #2 on this thread to see someone who is actually serious when they post things like I did earlier.

I find it quite an anomoly that someone can be a fan of a team and at the same time think they can do no right. One would think that someone who enjoyed following a team would think it did some things right and some things wrong.

Great post NMTI! :thumb: I would add that we will always be a fan of the Chiefs but maybe not certain individuals either in the FO, coaches, or players.

InChiefsHell
03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm just messing with you. I'm not a huge Alice Cooper fan but he's OK. I happen to like guitar virtuosity more than a show.

I figured. :thumb: I dig Satch, I even have his signature on one of my guitars...though I have to say that the album he sang on kinda sucked ass... :)

KCWolfman
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I figured. :thumb: I dig Satch, I even have his signature on one of my guitars...though I have to say that the album he sang on kinda sucked ass... :)
Oh now, at least he isn't doing Office Depot commercials.

nmt1
03-08-2005, 08:16 PM

At the risk of hijacking the thread, he sang in several songs on Flying in a Blue Dream. He's no Robert Plant or Ozzy Ozbourne. He should definitly stick to what he does best.
Where'd you get his autograph?

nmt1
03-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Great post NMTI! :thumb: I would add that we will always be a fan of the Chiefs but maybe not certain individuals either in the FO, coaches, or players.

I guess I don't see the merit in wasting your time disliking someone.
It's obvious Carl's not the best GM and Vermiel's not the best head coach and Gunther's not the best defensive coordinator but that's not gonna make me lose any sleep. We could do worse, IMO.
I'm happy they picked up Bell and I'm anxious to see what he can do to help fix the defense. It's not gonna happen overnight though. I suspect it will be another year or two before we become respectable. I just hope we can replace some the offensive players that will be leaving during that time frame.

BIG_DADDY
You and me both. If Siavii steps up, then not only we can play the 4-3, but we can also throw in a little 3-4 on some situations. But, I'm just hoping he steps up big time this year to force Ryan Sims into the bench, because so far, from what I'm seeing, Sims have been a disappointment.

I thought Sims would be a much better player than he has been that's for sure. Siavii only had one real year of weight training and discipline of any sort coming in. That combined with going into the NFL and learning a new defense was probably overwhelming at times. Another year of training under your belt and knowing your D could make a big difference. As far as discipline is concerned I guess we will know when he weighs in when camp begins. I expect him to be big I just hope it isn't out of line.

Iowanian
Oh brother........"the other coaches are ready to take over"

Sounds Like AL Saunders...HC
Chance Gunther gets another shot?

Regardless, I like what Bell had to say.

InChiefsHell
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
At the risk of hijacking the thread, he sang in several songs on Flying in a Blue Dream. He's no Robert Plant or Ozzy Ozbourne. He should definitly stick to what he does best.
Where'd you get his autograph?

no hijack needed. I'll PM ya...

nmt1
03-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Chance Gunther gets another shot?

Bite your tongue for saying that.

Coach
03-08-2005, 08:26 PM
I thought Sims would be a much better player than he has been that's for sure. Siavii only had one real year of weight training and discipline of any sort coming in. That combined with going into the NFL and learning a new defense was probably overwhelming at times. Another year of training under your belt and knowing your D could make a big difference. As far as discipline is concerned I guess we will know when he weighs in when camp begins. I expect him to be big I just hope it isn't out of line.

Well there is alot of factors that could be into play aganist Sims. He was, by some members on the CP, was evidently out-of-shape, and consistently in Coach Vermeil's doghouse most of the time. Also could it be lack of motivation another reason why? I have no idea.

That's why I feel that Siavii has the potentional to be better than Sims, because that he just started doing weight training (From last year's NFL guide list.) Of course, making the adjustment from NCAA to the NFL is another reason. And I agree with you on the discipline part for both of the players. I wonder if Siavii has something on his contract that he would get a work-out bonus if he does indeed stay in KC or however that works.

BIG_DADDY
03-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Well there is alot of factors that could be into play aganist Sims. He was, by some members on the CP, was evidently out-of-shape, and consistently in Coach Vermeil's doghouse most of the time. Also could it be lack of motivation another reason why? I have no idea.

That's why I feel that Siavii has the potentional to be better than Sims, because that he just started doing weight training (From last year's NFL guide list.) Of course, making the adjustment from NCAA to the NFL is another reason. And I agree with you on the discipline part for both of the players. I wonder if Siavii has something on his contract that he would get a work-out bonus if he does indeed stay in KC or however that works.

I don't know how you would structure anything for that guy without putting some kind of motivation around a diet and training regiment. I hope they did and good point.

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 08:35 PM

Gunther has always said that it takes a few years (3 I think?) to fully grasp his system. Maybe, just MAYBE, Sims will "get it" this year...

BIG_DADDY
03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Gunther has always said that it takes a few years (3 I think?) to fully grasp his system. Maybe, just MAYBE, Sims will "get it" this year...

It's a contract year for him isn't it? Amazing how people get it together on a contract year.

Coach
03-08-2005, 08:41 PM
It's a contract year for him isn't it? Amazing how people get it together on a contract year.

Ah, that's the other thing I forgot about, "CONTRACT" year. All that piss-poor effort playing, and out-of-shape incidents lately. If we hear alot of people saying "Wow, he's in shape" or "He's in good shape" then we KNOW he'll be commanding big money.

Another McGlockton. Unbelieveable. :shake:

BIG_DADDY
03-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Ah, that's the other thing I forgot about, "CONTRACT" year. All that piss-poor effort playing, and out-of-shape incidents lately. If we hear alot of people saying "Wow, he's in shape" or "He's in good shape" then we KNOW he'll be commanding big money.

Yea well we could use a "contract year" type play out of him this year. Tha combined with Siavii stepping up and some additions could be just what the doctor ordered.

Rausch
03-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Yea well we could use a "contract year" type play out of him this year. Tha combined with Siavii stepping up and some additions could be just what the doctor ordered.

To be honest I like the Sims/Dalton/Jr rotation. I wouldn't spend a dime there.

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Hey it could benefit us this year so I am not going to complain if he has a monster year. I just hope the Chiefs don't fall into the Dan Williams trap again.

Coach
03-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey it could benefit us this year so I am not going to complain if he has a monster year. I just hope the Chiefs don't fall into the Dan Williams trap again.

Exactly what I'm worried about....

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Exactly what I'm worried about....

At this time I am not worried, I will be happy as hell if Sims decides to show up this year. Lets just get through this season first because CP, DV, Gun and Al all may not be here next year.

Coach
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
At this time I am not worried, I will be happy as hell if Sims decides to show up this year. Lets just get through this season first because CP, DV, Gun and Al all may not be here next year.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes we also have to look into the future of this franchise, you know?

Rausch
03-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I know, but sometimes we also have to look into the future of this franchise, you know?

**** the future...win NOW!

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 09:08 PM
I hope Sims gives us one good contract year and then we let him go to someone who overpays next year...he'll be a bum the rest of his career.

KC Margarita Man
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
I like the Bell signing a lot. We finally have a real linebacker on our team. One with a nasty streak who will actually hit someone. No more of Mitchell dancing a ball carrier 20 yards down field. That in itself has just made our defense better. One down. Two to go. Let's go!

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
On the 10 clock news tonight Jack Harry replayed the conservation the media had with CP. He said the contract had provisions in it to protect the Chiefs in case of injury which is music to my ears. He also said the reports that Bell flunked a physical in NY were false as he talked to the Giants GM about that.