PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think Dyson might be our best option?

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Certainly hes around the top of the remaining market. hes only 26 and is not an injury concern. Does anyone know what hes asking?

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
As long as he's not a RFA, I agree... he makes the top of my list.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Not a big fan. Although he's a warm body, which makes him an upgrade over Bartee or McCleon.

irishjayhawk
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Not a big fan. Although he's a warm body, which makes him an upgrade over Bartee or McCleon.
Agreed.

Actually, I really want to see Bartee go out for safety.

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:17 PM

6 Picks last season... 4 the year before that. Averages 50 tackles and 11 passes defensed /per. I'd call him an upgrade over Warfield.

GMitch
03-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Agreed.

I've thought all along that he might be a pretty good safety. He'd be facing the QB and he's a pretty solid tackler.

Woodrow Call
03-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes if it means money left over for an OLB.

I would take this:
Bell
Dyson
Simmons or Sharper

over this
Bell
Law/Surtain

They would have improved 3 areas on defense and I would allow them to be more flexible in the draft.

Woodrow Call
03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Agreed.

Honestly the more I have thought about it I think he might be the most athletic DB on the team and would make a lot better safety than a CB. He is a good tackler and has shown he can hit on special teams.

I mean he is a safety.

Phobia
03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm a big Dyson proponent. Everybody else has injury concerns or is a bunch of money. I think Dyson may not be the best DB available, but he's damn sure the best value for the money - therefore, the wisest investment.

Plus, I'm kinda afraid of giving up that 2nd round pick. Carl is due to hit something. He's got to get lucky sometime.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I've thought all along that he might be a pretty good safety. He'd be facing the QB and he's a pretty solid tackler.
Dyson is an UFA. I also would like to see Bartee compete for the safety spot.

Woodrow Call
03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm a big Dyson proponent. Everybody else has injury concerns or is a bunch of money. I think Dyson may not be the best DB available, but he's damn sure the best value for the money - therefore, the wisest investment.

Plus, I'm kinda afraid of giving up that 2nd round pick. Carl is due to hit something. He's got to get lucky sometime.

Its a good draft to have a 2nd rd pick IMO.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
6 Picks last season... 4 the year before that. Averages 50 tackles and 11 passes defensed /per. I'd call him an upgrade over Warfield.That's difficult to justify statistically, especially considering that he's been the #2 across from Rolle, while Warfield's been the #1 across from various automatic targets like Bartee, Crockett and McCleon

Averages

Rolle: 49 tackles, 4 INTs, 11 pd
Warfield: 58 tackles, 4 INTs, 10 pd

I think he'd be fine as a #2. I also think we already have a #2. I want a #1.

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Carl is due to hit something. He's got to get lucky sometime.

Correction: "He's got to get lucky <i>on defense</i> sometime". He got really lucky w/ Priest.

I was a huge fan of the Priest signing, but NO ONE had any idea how phenominal he would be ;)

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Plus, I'm kinda afraid of giving up that 2nd round pick. Carl is due to hit something. He's got to get lucky sometime.It's a pleasant thought. I wish I believed in luck.

Phobia
03-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Correction: "He's got to get lucky <i>on defense</i> sometime". He got really lucky w/ Priest.

I meant he's gotta get lucky with that 2nd round pick.

Rausch
03-08-2005, 06:29 PM
ANY free agent CB would be better than Bartee...

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
That's difficult to justify statistically, especially considering that he's been the #2 across from Rolle, while Warfield's been the #1 across from various automatic targets like Bartee, Crockett and McCleon

Averages

Rolle: 49 tackles, 4 INTs, 11 pd
Warfield: 58 tackles, 4 INTs, 10 pd

Dyson has just as good averages as Rolle and Warfield:

56 tackles, 4 INTs, 11 pd - plus he's younger, no health issues, and no troublesome DUIs to deal with ;)

keg in kc
ANY free agent CB would be better than Bartee...Or McCleon.

That's the overwhelming reality. Sad, ain't it.

HC_Chief
I meant he's gotta get lucky with that 2nd round pick.

Phhhfftt. I wouldn't count on it. His 2nd-round track record is pathetisad

philfree
03-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah I'd sign Dyson right on the heels of trading for Surtain.

PhilFree :arrow:

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Dyson has just as good averages as Rolle and Warfield:

56 tackles, 4 INTs, 11 pd - plus he's younger, no health issues, and no troublesome DUIs to deal with I don't think he's any different than Smoot in terms of play, he just doesn't have the mouth. Which is why I'd be okay with us signing him. But I don't think he's anything special.

Although here, with our depth at CB, another Warfield would be something special.

siberian khatru
03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Carl's next excuse: Dyson has a narrow urethra.

(Just didn't want that one to get buried on the other thread.)

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Heh, I'm just shocked.... I didn't know he was available until today

He would become the top priority in the secondary for me now that Rolle is gone... and after I signed Hartwell ;)

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I bet Dyson is looking for a lot less $$$. We might even be able to squeeze both Dyson and Hartwell in... :hmmm:

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I bet Dyson is looking for a lot less $$$. We might even be able to squeeze both Dyson and Hartwell in... :hmmm:

That would be sick... then draft Carlos Rogers....

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Didn't Peterson say we were moving on to other positions? I think we're done with Hartwell.

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
LOL, you actually believe Carl?!
hehehehe

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:39 PM
LOL, you actually believe Carl?!
heheheheLOL, you actually believe Carl will hand out another 30 million contract to a LB?!
hehehehe

(remember Barber's was 30 million, too)

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I heard the Chiefs & Barber came to an agreement on an injury settlement.... means he's probably gone.

Now, if they signed Bell to replace Barber and plan on playing Mitchell in the middle, my fears will truly be confirmed: the people in charge at 1 Arrowhead Drive are complete and utter phucktards

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Didn't Peterson say we were moving on to other positions? I think we're done with Hartwell.
I didnt interpret it that way.

HC_Chief
03-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Of course, Jabba the Hutt, err Rhonda Moss <i>did</i> report that the Chiefs are still pursuing Hartwell, so that means we're almost certainly out of the running for him.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I didnt interpret it that way.I don't think there's much to interpret.

Q: Does this end your pursuit for free agent linebackers?

PETERSON: “We will turn our attention to another defensive position of need. We were negotiating at the same time with (LB) Ed Hartwell. But this negotiation with Todd France has been going on for a week. I got comfortable with where we were able to negotiate this deal. We pulled the trigger on it, on a seven-year deal.”

shaneo69
03-08-2005, 07:05 PM
If Gunther liked Dyson at all, AD would've visited One Arrowhead Drive by now. Gunther was part of the defensive staff that tried to replace Dyson as starter by drafting Woolfolk.

whoman69
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
That's difficult to justify statistically, especially considering that he's been the #2 across from Rolle, while Warfield's been the #1 across from various automatic targets like Bartee, Crockett and McCleon

Earthwind Moreland would be an upgrade over those guys.

I'd be happy with an upgrade at this point, err..not Earthwind though. Warfield has been very solid the last few years. The market is starting to get thin.

eazyb81
03-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Dyson is a #2.

Surtain is a #1.

I want a #1, not another #2. A 2nd round pick won't even see the field this year, why not give it up for Surtain?

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I'd be happy with an upgrade at this point, I actually said that earlier in the thread. The only point I was making was if it comes to Surtain or Law vs. Dyson, he'd be the last choice. If it's Dyson or nobody, then I take Dyson.

Chiefnj
03-08-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't think Dyson is good at jamming receivers at the line and playing corner the way Gunther would like.

Corey Webster in round 2 would be a decent fit.

eazyb81
03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
I actually said that earlier in the thread. The only point I was making was if it comes to Surtain or Law vs. Dyson, he'd be the last choice. If it's Dyson or nobody, then I take Dyson.

If we sign Dyson, then it better be because we signed Hartwell too. I will be furious if we sign Dyson and expect him to be anything special. Sure, he is better then what we have opposite Warfield, but so is grandpa. We need to bite the bullet and trade for Surtain.

eazyb81
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't think Dyson is good at jamming receivers at the line and playing corner the way Gunther would like.

Corey Webster would be a great pick in the 2nd round. If we go with CB in the 2nd, I would like to see us look at DE Justin Tuck in the 1st.

jspchief
03-08-2005, 09:42 PM

Exactly. Not only is Dyson short, he's small-framed. The guy is an average CB. Maybe better than Bartee or McCleon, but not enough of an upgrade IMO.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't think we have a choice now. Our defense is still a 30 point per game allowed defense even with Bell. We need a pro bowl CB and we would still probably not cut it enough to go to the Super Bowl with the remaining crap on defense.

milkman
03-08-2005, 10:53 PM
If we sign Dyson, then it better be because we signed Hartwell too. I will be furious if we sign Dyson and expect him to be anything special. Sure, he is better then what we have opposite Warfield, but so is grandpa. We need to bite the bullet and trade for Surtain.

I'd much rather sign Hartwell and Dyson and keep the #2 pick, than use the #2 pick to trade for Surtain.

Wouldn't we have a better chance of really improving our D with Hartwell, Dyson, a #1 and a #2 pick and Bell, as opposed to Surtain and a #1 pick added to Bell?

It makes a whole hell of a lot more sense to me, anyway.

Rain Man
03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Dyson is a #2.

Surtain is a #1.

I want a #1, not another #2. A 2nd round pick won't even see the field this year, why not give it up for Surtain?

I'm coming around to this opinion as well.

However, I think CBs like Dyson may be the wave of the future. Big, physical cornerbacks are going to face lots of penalties unless they back off the stupid new enforcement of the contact rules. In that environment, you might want smaller guys who can break on the ball faster.

Douche Baggins
03-09-2005, 09:04 AM
I think Dyson would be an upgrade over McNugget or Burntee.

If we can't get one of the stud corners, grab Dyson.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Although I highly prefer Bell and Surtain, I could live with Bell, Hartwell, and Dyson.

However, if we end up with just Bell and Dyson, I will be pissed.

Whatever we do, we need to act fast and make it happen. I have a bad feeling that we may dick around and be left in the cold without a CB. The Seahawks, Colts, Redskins, Jets, Steelers, and Giants all need a CB.....There are only 3 good options available.

crossbow
03-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Honestly the more I have thought about it I think he might be the most athletic DB on the team and would make a lot better safety than a CB. He is a good tackler and has shown he can hit on special teams.

I mean he is a safety.

Blame the coaches for trying to convert Bartee to a corner. He has been a safety all through college. He is very fast and could use that speed to help the corners. Sure he didn't work out as a corner but the guy might realy shine at his natural position.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Blame the coaches for trying to convert Bartee to a corner. He has been a safety all through college. He is very fast and could use that speed to help the corners. Sure he didn't work out as a corner but the guy might realy shine at his natural position.

Same goes for Warfield. And Battle. And, hell, do we have ANY 'natural' corners on this team? McCleon may have been at one time...