PDA

View Full Version : Is Green Bay cutting Sharper?

Woodrow Call
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I am not sure how much he would want but I wouldnt mind having him if the Chiefs are dead set on getting a safety instead of trying one 6 they already have.

This is the only article I can find on it.

Sorry if already discussed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2004952

ESPN.com has confirmed the Green Bay Packers will release safety Darren Sharper in the next few days, rather than pay him a roster bonus of $2.6 million that is due on March 12. The eight-year veteran is coming off a season in which he played much of the year with a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament and, clearly, his performance suffered a bit. But Sharper, at age 29, is still a viable starter in the league and the former Pro Bowl performer will bring experience and well-documented playmaker skills to some team. One official from an AFC team told ESPN.com that he felt Sharper could provide "the right team," the kind of boost safety Rodney Harrison brought to New England when the Pats signed him as a free agent two years ago. "He isn't as big a hitter (as Harrison) but he's got much better range," said the club official. The Packers still need to carve out some cap room and Sharper's charge of $8.63 million for 2005 is too steep for Green Bay to carry. Sharper has rebuffed attempts by the Packers to reduce his deal

HolmeZz
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm in favor of bringing both Sharpers to KC. ;)

"Chiefs Defense gets Sharper Image"

Woodrow Call
03-08-2005, 09:19 PM

:clap:

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 09:22 PM
It's a real possibility if he doesn't agree to re-structure. The other thing to wait on, is whether Favre will be back...if he's back, Sharper is more likely to stay.

dtebbe
03-08-2005, 09:23 PM

Let's just hope they work better than the Turbo-Groomer 2000 I got for xmas....

DT

eazyb81
03-08-2005, 09:25 PM
IMO it would be such a waste to sign Sharper to play safety when we have about 6 guys on our team that could move to safety. We need a #1 CB, not another safety.

irishjayhawk
03-08-2005, 09:27 PM
IMO it would be such a waste to sign Sharper to play safety when we have about 6 guys on our team that could move to safety. We need a #1 CB, not another safety.
Yep. Agreed.

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 09:30 PM

I tend to agree; my thought is if we solidify the CBs and LBs, we move Battle (and Warfield) to safety to see if they are worth salvaging. It would not surprise me at all to see those two guys, along with our four safetys ALL playing in the NFL next year--hopefully 2 or 3 of them will be on OTHER teams though.

Woodrow Call
03-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I tend to agree; my thought is if we solidify the CBs and LBs, we move Battle (and Warfield) to safety to see if they are worth salvaging. It would not surprise me at all to see those two guys, along with our four safetys ALL playing in the NFL next year--hopefully 2 or 3 of them will be on OTHER teams though.

If they stick with what they have I would love to see Pile, Bartee, and Battle given the chance to really challenge Woods and Wesley.