PDA

View Full Version : Where did Hartwell pick?

ChiefsKing
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
I thought he was announcing where he was going to play? I heard we were still the front runners. The Cards offered less than us, and Miami didn't offer. That would be great if he announced Kansas City. It would force the Chiefs to either retract their offer to a star free agent that wanted to play for them, or sign him and fit him under the cap and still have money for Law, Surtain and Jason Taylor. :)

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I thought he was announcing where he was going to play? I heard we were still the front runners. The Cards offered less than us, and Miami didn't offer. That would be great if he announced Kansas City. It would force the Chiefs to either retract their offer to a star free agent that wanted to play for them, or sign him and fit him under the cap and still have money for Law, Surtain and Jason Taylor. :)

I thought he would announce within the next 72 hours...so by Thursday or Friday. Where did you hear that Arizona offered less then us? I figured since they have more cap room they could offer more then we could. I also think Seattle could jump in and sign him after they released Anthony Simmons.

ChiefsKing
03-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Anyone hear anything yet? I wonder what is taking so long?? Everyone cross their fingers and hope its KC!

penguinz
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
STFU! When it is announced where he has signed someone will post it. There is no f'ing reason to ask every 4 minutes.

Kyle401
03-09-2005, 12:26 PM
....... fit him under the cap and still have money for Law, Surtain and Jason Taylor. :)

:bong:

Wile_E_Coyote
East Valley Tribune 3/9/05

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37661
EXTRA POINTS

Indications are free-agent linebacker Ed Hartwell would like to play in Arizona and Hartwell lost a possible landing spot when Kansas City signed linebacker Kendrell Bell Tuesday. But Graves termed Hartwell coming to Arizona "remote," presumably because of the hefty contract Hartwell is seeking. . . .

Graves said the heaviest freeagent action is over with the Cards close to spending their budget.

"I anticipate the foot on the accelerator will be lighter than it has been in the first week," Graves said. . . .

Woodrow Call
Anyone hear anything yet? I wonder what is taking so long?? Everyone cross their fingers and hope its KC!

Sounds like Carl is moving on but it might be a smokescreen. Miami didnt offer, Cards didnt offer so if he is deciding and the Chiefs didnt pull there offer they have a good chance. :thumb:

Blindly hoping at this point.

Gaz
03-09-2005, 12:27 PM
STFU! When it is announced where he has signed someone will post it. There is no f'ing reason to ask every 4 minutes.

Yah.

Cause a bazillion “Carl Sucks” posts are SO much more interesting than unraveling the possible Free Agent & Draft scenarios.

xoxo~
Gaz
Nailed by that irrefutable logic.

Big Chief Homer
03-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Jason Taylor?

Stinger
03-09-2005, 12:29 PM
posted this on another thread concerning this

This little blurb is interseting in the Arizon article (below): Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Graves declined to comment, but there's a belief among some teams that Hartwell is pricing himself out of the market <HR SIZE=1>It also looks like the Dolphins are going after LB Spragan ( link (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/09/a11c_dolphins_0309.html) ) Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Spragan was close to a deal before having to make his flight home to Denver, but is expected to become the fourth free agent to sign with the Dolphins today. He is will compete for the starting strong-side spot, which was vacated when Morlon Greenwood signed with Houston. ~snip~ Spragan, at 6-3 and 239 pounds, has the size that Dolphins coach Nick Saban wants in his linebackers. Spragan, 28, made a career-high 67 tackles for the Denver Broncos last season. ~snip~ Harold Lewis, the agent for linebacker Ed Hartwell, said there is no truth to the published report that the Dolphins made an offer to Hartwell, a free agent who played for Baltimore. <HR SIZE=1>It also looks like Arizona is just barely under the cap ( link (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0309cardsnb0309.html)). Quote: <HR SIZE=1>With the additions of Griffith, quarterback Kurt Warner, offensive tackle Oliver Ross, defensive end Chike Okeafor and running back Troy Hambrick, the Cardinals are approaching their free-agent budget of $15 million in cap space.

"The thing we're excited about is we have bolstered ourselves in a number of areas," Graves said. "We have an offensive line that we believe can be in place for us for a long time. We still have a couple of positions we'd like to add, but I think the depth on our team is probably better than it's been in a number of years."

Graves doesn't anticipate additional big names signing, but the team could add four to five more players at reasonable prices.

That would seem to rule out the chance of signing middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, a free agent from Baltimore.
<HR SIZE=1>If not mistaken those where the two others that were in serious consideration for Hartwell. Where would that put us?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Jason Taylor?

there are trade rumors, JT not happy with his role in Saban's scheme...just rumors

Wallcrawler
03-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, rumor has it that Saban wants to go to a 3-4 and make Jason Taylor stand up and play outside linebacker.

tomahawk kid
03-09-2005, 12:36 PM
posted this on another thread concerning this

This little blurb is interseting in the Arizon article (below): Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Graves declined to comment, but there's a belief among some teams that Hartwell is pricing himself out of the market <HR SIZE=1>It also looks like the Dolphins are going after LB Spragan ( link (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/09/a11c_dolphins_0309.html) ) Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Spragan was close to a deal before having to make his flight home to Denver, but is expected to become the fourth free agent to sign with the Dolphins today. He is will compete for the starting strong-side spot, which was vacated when Morlon Greenwood signed with Houston. ~snip~ Spragan, at 6-3 and 239 pounds, has the size that Dolphins coach Nick Saban wants in his linebackers. Spragan, 28, made a career-high 67 tackles for the Denver Broncos last season. ~snip~ Harold Lewis, the agent for linebacker Ed Hartwell, said there is no truth to the published report that the Dolphins made an offer to Hartwell, a free agent who played for Baltimore. <HR SIZE=1>It also looks like Arizona is just barely under the cap ( link (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0309cardsnb0309.html)). Quote: <HR SIZE=1>With the additions of Griffith, quarterback Kurt Warner, offensive tackle Oliver Ross, defensive end Chike Okeafor and running back Troy Hambrick, the Cardinals are approaching their free-agent budget of $15 million in cap space.

"The thing we're excited about is we have bolstered ourselves in a number of areas," Graves said. "We have an offensive line that we believe can be in place for us for a long time. We still have a couple of positions we'd like to add, but I think the depth on our team is probably better than it's been in a number of years."

Graves doesn't anticipate additional big names signing, but the team could add four to five more players at reasonable prices.

That would seem to rule out the chance of signing middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, a free agent from Baltimore.
<HR SIZE=1>If not mistaken those where the two others that were in serious consideration for Hartwell. Where would that put us?

Sounds like the market for Eddie's services has basically dried up. \

That being the case, perhaps the Chiefs could land him and play Bell at the strong side position.

I know, I'm dreaming.....but the thought is intriguing.

:hmmm:

ChiefsKing
03-09-2005, 12:38 PM
there are trade rumors, JT not happy with his role in Saban's scheme...just rumors

Jason Taylor refuses to be switched to an outside linbacker, because Saban is switching to a "3-4" . He might end up a cut after june 1st, but it would be great to trade a package for Taylor and Surtain and ensure we get both. Some boards are saying the Chiefs could be a team in the running for such a trade.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Jason Taylor refuses to be switched to an outside linbacker, because Saban is switching to a "3-4" . He might end up a cut after june 1st, but it would be great to trade a package for Taylor and Surtain and ensure we get both. Some boards are saying the Chiefs could be a team in the running for such a trade.

I have not read anything about the Chiefs in a trade...just that there was an article in one of Miami's newspaper about Taylor wanting out...I didn't read it

Lzen
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Dude, this is not Madden 2005. No freakin' way the Chiefs end up with both Taylor and Surtain.

Stinger
03-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Dude, this is not Madden 2005. No freakin' way the Chiefs end up with both Taylor and Surtain.

Yep ... the only way that happens is trading LJ or one of our OL plus our second and another pick.

ptlyon
03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that Hartwell signed with the Seattle Mariners.

Stinger
03-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that Hartwell signed with the Seattle Mariners.
Was it a trade for Ichero?

:spock:

whoman69
03-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Isn't that NFL doublespeak for wants more money?

Carlota69
03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Didn't Carl say in his press conference, that they were still pursuing Hartwell? I can't find the press conference transcript, so I could be wrong, but I could swear that he did. Also, aren't they kind of saying in little ways, that bell could possibly be set to play OLBB

Does anyone know?

I want Hartwell bad. That dude is wayyy cool, and he is a stud.

Rausch
03-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Ahem....well then.

Perhaps we should send you with Peterson and Co. to try and lure him here... :)

Kclee
03-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Also, aren't they kind of saying in little ways, that bell could possibly be set to play OLBB.

Yeah, I thought it odd that they won't come out and say where he's playing unless they are going for Hartwell. Otherwise, what's the point.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Didn't Carl say in his press conference, that they were still pursuing Hartwell? I can't find the press conference transcript, so I could be wrong, but I could swear that he did. Also, aren't they kind of saying in little ways, that bell could possibly be set to play OLBB

Does anyone know?

The thought of Bell playing OLB is kind of scary, considering the 610 interview with a Pittsburgh beatwriter said Bell's main weakness was coverage and he was usually not on the field on the 3rd down.

htismaqe
03-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Does anyone know?

Peterson said that we are no longer NEGOTIATING with Hartwell.

What I took out of the press conference and the subsequent reading of the transcripts is this:

Now that we have Bell, we are no longer actively pursuing Hartwell. However, there is an offer on the table and if Hartwell wants to sign it, we're all for it.

Big Chief Homer
03-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Im the last guy youd hear complain about Jt being in red and gold,but we have as much chance of getting Him as we do of drafting a 2nd round player that will actually be on the team in 2 years.

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:20 PM

What I took out of the press conference and the subsequent reading of the transcripts is this:

Now that we have Bell, we are no longer actively pursuing Hartwell. However, there is an offer on the table and if Hartwell wants to sign it, we're all for it.
htis... go check out my post that occured seemingly simulatneously in the grade CP thread. :thumb:

ptlyon
03-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Perhaps we should send you with Peterson and Co. to try and lure him here... :)

How would that effect the cap tho?

Tribal Warfare
03-09-2005, 01:22 PM

Guys if this is it and assuming KC is gearing for CB in the draft expect another sub-par season ranging from 6-10 or 7-9 again

Gaz
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
We will go 14-2 in 2009.

xoxo~
Gaz
On the bandwagon early.

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:32 PM
We will go 14-2 in 2009.

xoxo~
Gaz
On the bandwagon early.

Esspecially if we sign young capable players.

Pitt Gorilla
03-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Interesting...we could end up with Hartwell BECAUSE we were patient. Would that piss off everyone that was upset because we weren't signing people quickly enough??

Tribal Warfare
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Interesting...we could end up with Hartwell BECAUSE we were patient. Would that piss off everyone that was upset because we weren't signing people quickly enough??

It hasn't happened yet, but knowing Carl this is what
I suspect will happen now

htismaqe
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Guys if this is it and assuming KC is gearing for CB in the draft expect another sub-par season ranging from 6-10 or 7-9 again

I don't think KC will go all the way to the draft without getting a veteran CB, unless they have a deal in principle with Surtain, in which case that might not happen until draft day.

htismaqe
03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
htis... go check out my post that occured seemingly simulatneously in the grade CP thread. :thumb:

I missed it. I'll go check it out now.

Gaz
03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Esspecially if we sign young capable players.

Only if we sign them in the first day of FA.

Otherwise, we go 6-10 or 7-9.

xoxo~
Gaz
Getting in the proper frame of mind.

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Only if we sign them in the first day of FA.

Otherwise, we go 6-10 or 7-9.

xoxo~
Gaz
Getting in the proper frame of mind.

I meant in the now. I think I will start another thread to bring this up.

mcan
03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Hartwell should play SAM if they get him. Keep Bell at MIKE. Keep Barber (if he is healthy) at WILL. That would be a top notch lb corps, and we'd have servicable backups if anybody should need spelled. Also, with Fujita as a fourth linebacker for goal line situations, and Browning coming off the bench to spell Allen, I'd feel much better about our abilities to stop short yardage situations. Last year I think we only stopped a half dozen or so short yardage situations...

Spicy McHaggis
03-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Isn't that NFL doublespeak for wants more money?

Not necessarily. JT is already a small DE at about 255. He doesn't fit on the line at all in a 3-4 Defense. Like Kerney in Atlanta (who has 20 lbs. on Taylor), his effectiveness would be greatly reduced if he had to play with a hand on the ground.

Last night I heard Kevin Carter being interviewed on a national show and he claimed that Saban's plans for him and Vonnie were "secret" and that all he could say is that they have versatility. People might be playing in different places next year.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Not necessarily. JT is already a small DE at about 255. He doesn't fit on the line at all in a 3-4 Defense. Like Kerney in Atlanta (who has 20 lbs. on Taylor), his effectiveness would be greatly reduced if he had to play with a hand on the ground.

Last night I heard Kevin Carter being interviewed on a national show and he claimed that Saban's plans for him and Vonnie were "secret" and that all he could say is that they have versatility. People might be playing in different places next year.
So they are replacing Jason Taylor with Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter?

Saban is starting off with a bang! ROFL

Tribal Warfare
03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't think KC will go all the way to the draft without getting a veteran CB, unless they have a deal in principle with Surtain, in which case that might not happen until draft day.

The Surtain isn't a bright option since Carl has to be a "shrude negotiator" that deal won't ever happen.

Spicy McHaggis
03-09-2005, 01:47 PM
So they are replacing Jason Taylor with Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter?

Saban is starting with a bang! ROFL

It doesn't make sense to me either. But Vonnie and Carter are both bigger ends at 290-300. Saban can't leave well enough alone here. Perhaps he should concentrate on getting a running back and someone who can actually throw the ball instead of worrying about a defense loaded with talent.

Stinger
03-09-2005, 01:50 PM
, I'd feel much better about our abilities to stop short yardage situations. Last year I think we only stopped a half dozen or so short yardage situations...

I'd rather stop our long yardage situation. How many times did we have oppenents at 3rd and 7 or longer only to give up a huge run or pass play. :banghead: . Evertime the Chiefs got in that situation everyone in our section was already saying first down.

KC Kings
03-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Did he? I heard the same interview, and right after he said he was no longer intersted in lbers, when asked about other free agents he said that he had been spending a lot of time talking with Hartwell and his agent.

He may have been talking about previous to singing Bell, but it sure sounded like he contradicted himself.

Amnorix
03-09-2005, 02:03 PM
It doesn't make sense to me either. But Vonnie and Carter are both bigger ends at 290-300. Saban can't leave well enough alone here. Perhaps he should concentrate on getting a running back and someone who can actually throw the ball instead of worrying about a defense loaded with talent.

For what it's worth (nothing?) the Belichick/Saban defensive scheme is 180 degrees from what the Dolphins have been doing the last n years. Both are very effective, but they are literally complete opposites of each other.

The Patriots play flexible defense out of a base 3-4, using 2 gap technique up front, with a zone, often Cover-2, but sometimes Cover 3, or Cover 4, behind it. They change their defense EVERY week, however, to adjust to their opponent. When I mean change, I mean *significantly*. The defenses we showed in the games against the Colts and Steelers in the playoffs, only a week apart, were RADICALLY different. The Patriots attitude is "we're going to stop the one or two things you MOST want to do. If you're going to beat us, you'll have to find something different from your bread and butter".

The Dolphins have played the exact SAME defense every week since Jimmy Johnson/Dave Wannstedt have been running the show. The Dolphins have exclusively played 4-3 with one gap technique and alot of man coverage behind it (exclusive not including nickel situations, etc.). The scheme requires phenomenal talent to pull off correctly, but they've had it, and have consistently had among the best defenses in the NFL over the last 10 or whatever years. Their attitude is "This defense is designed to stop everything equally well, and we're awesome at executing it. If you can beat us running this defense, then you deserve to win."

Both work, both are successful, but they are extremely different in philosophy and approach.

It appears, with Wannstedt and Jim Bates (his DC) gone, Saban isn't going to waste any time ona "transition year" or whatever. He's going to rip out the old defense and put in the one he wants, even if there are short term growing pains doing it.

Note this is the opposite of the approach Parcells took in dallas, where he kept the DC and the defensive scheme, even though it was nothing like what he was used to running with his prior teams.

shaneo69
03-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Carl was hedging about where Bell would play either because a) Bell is currently penciled in at MLB but would move outside if Hartwell signs, or b) Bell will be playing weakside LB until Barber comes back and then Bell would move to MLB.

ChiefsKing
03-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I wonder what is taking so long though? You would think someone would have heard where he would be expected to announce?

bringbackmarty
03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Taylor and Surtain for holmes straight up. but the week before the season starts

Rausch
03-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Taylor and Surtain for holmes straight up. but the week before the season starts

Rusty nuthooks...

Warrior5
03-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Rusty nuthooks...

rusty, and dull.