PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the Law ........

ROYC75
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
By Clark Judge
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8269873
The Kansas City Chiefs finally entered the free-agent market Tuesday, only it wasn't to sign a cornerback; it was to sign linebacker Kendrell Bell to a seven-year contract. And while that may back off critics demanding a shakeup of the league's 31st-ranked defense, it won't silence them.

Kendrell Bell might help K.C. if he can stay on the field. Nor should it. The Chiefs still haven't addressed their secondary.

But stay tuned, folks, because Kansas City plans to host free-agent cornerback Ty Law next Monday. The club was to have interviewed free-agent cornerback Fred Smoot on Wednesday, but Smoot scuttled those plans by signing with Minnesota on Tuesday evening, further reducing the Chiefs' options at cornerback.

Kansas City wasn't supposed to be in this position, especially after suffering through a season where it changed no one on defense but the coordinator. But the Chiefs were caught in a difficult spot when talks with former Tennessee cornerback Samari Rolle collapsed after the club expressed doubts about his physical condition.

So Rolle signed with Baltimore. Then Dwight Smith, a free-agent safety the club entertained last week, signed with New Orleans. And, suddenly, the secondary-starved Chiefs were looking at a dwindling pool of talent.

That's not to say Law can't help them. Heck, at this point Earthwind Moreland looks like an upgrade for a pass defense that last year surrendered 300 yards five times and was punctured for 32 touchdowns. But Law is 31 and coming off a fractured foot that sidelined him the last 12 games, including Super Bowl XXXIX.

"Smoot is 25, and Law is 31, and if they're both healthy Law is the better player," said an NFC player personnel director. "Now, you figure in the age and the injury, and the picture begins to change. The Chiefs have to be careful not to panic here. They should do a deal that's good for the club and that works for the player, and, believe me, that's easier said than done."

Let's face it, Law has an outstanding pedigree. Super Bowl starter. Pro Bowl. All Pro. But you can't help but wonder: What does he have to offer, and why would you sink a big contract and huge signing bonus in a 31-year-old cornerback with a bad wheel? Kansas City wasn't supposed to be in a position to answer that question, but then Kansas City wasn't supposed to pass on Rolle either.

The Chiefs aren't desperate, but they're not far off. Before signing Bell -- a risky move considering his history of injuries -- they were $3.7 million under the salary cap, and you can figure that Law might demand big money and a big signing bonus. If that's the case, he probably can look elsewhere.

And the Chiefs can keep looking at Miami's Patrick Surtain, available for a second-round draft choice. The club values Surtain but balked at yielding a second-rounder for him -- largely because it doesn't have a third-round pick in this year's draft. But the picture has changed, and with talks continuing, the Chiefs should reassess their position.

Surtain can help them. Oakland's Charles Woodson could, too. Woodson, whom Oakland designated as its franchise player, can be acquired for the right price. But the Chiefs haven't shown an interest.

"Hey," said an AFC scout, "if the Raiders are trying to get rid of him what does that tell you?"

It tells you that Kansas City is down to Ty Law, Patrick Surtain or a draft pick. Yes, the club will host free-agent Sammy Knight on Thursday, but he doesn't solve a hole at cornerback. He's a safety, and while he could help them, the Chiefs desperately need to make a move at cornerback.

Starting now, Kansas City is on the clock.

ight help, but Chiefs need corner as Law visits ......

Hoover
03-09-2005, 02:08 PM
So why don't we send our 2nd and next years 3rd round pick for Surtain and Miami's 3rd round pick this year?

ROYC75
03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
The Chiefs aren't desperate, but they're not far off. Before signing Bell -- a risky move considering his history of injuries -- they were $3.7 million under the salary cap, and you can figure that Law might demand big money and a big signing bonus. If that's the case, he probably can look elsewhere.

Hello ......... How much did Bell ring us for ?

Hello Surtain is probally our best bet at this stage, providing he restructures his current deal to a cap friendly deal.

No way we can get both without dumping some current players on June 1st.

Scaga
03-09-2005, 02:13 PM
So why don't we send our 2nd and next years 3rd round pick for Surtain and Miami's 3rd round pick this year?

Dammit Hoover...quit making logical suggestions!
Logic plays NO part of our decision making process at 1 Arrowhead Dr. :banghead:

Hoover
03-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Dammit Hoover...quit making logical suggestions!
Logic plays NO part of our decision making process at 1 Arrowhead Dr. :banghead:
Yeah I know, I'm very sorry.

el borracho
03-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Why don't we quit giving away our picks and use them to try and improve the team? Seriously, how many times have we had a full complement of draft picks in the last 5 years? How do you think that has affected the team?

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Why don't we quit giving away our picks and use them to try and improve the team? Seriously, how many times have we had a full complement of draft picks in the last 5 years? How do you think that has affected the team?

When was the last time KC's second-round pick amounted to shit?

Hoover
03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
I agree with that, thats the way it should be. However we can win it all now if we make some moves on defense. By getting a CB like Surtain who is better than Rolle, Smoot, I think we have to do it based on our window of opportunity.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
When was the last time KC's second-round pick amounted to shit?Don't they always amount to shit...

KCChiefsMan
03-09-2005, 02:29 PM

ya lets keep that 2nd rounder so we can get:
William Bartee
Rashaan Shehee
Eddie Freeman
Mike Cloud
Kawika Mitchell

which one of those guys would you pick over Surtain?

KCChiefsMan

Tim Grunhard

beer bacon

Hello ......... How much did Bell ring us for ?

Hello Surtain is probally our best bet at this stage, providing he restructures his current deal to a cap friendly deal.

No way we can get both without dumping some current players on June 1st.

Morton is going to be gone. He will save us a few mil. I am sure there are some others.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Tim Grunhard

Yep. Grunhard. A guy who has been retired for three years, this season. And, not due to injury either - he had a full, productive career. Heck, he even made the pro bowl once.

Surtain has made it three times.

Yeah, best to keep that pick... we need the next Mitchell/Freeman.

TRR
03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Why are we waiting until Monday to bring in Ty Law? Does anyone have an idea why?

el borracho
03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
That is a separate problem the Chiefs have with scouting and talent evaluation. That does not change the fact that routinely giving away picks is a problem.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Why are we waiting until Monday to bring in Ty Law? Does anyone have an idea why?

Want to make sure Surtain gets signed first... so that Law is really the only remaining option; guaranteeing him whatever $ he wants (or KC is f*cked)

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
That is a separate problem the Chiefs have with scouting and talent evaluation. That does not change the fact that routinely giving away picks is a problem.

I don't see it as a problem as long as you obtain good players in trade. Roaf & Green are shining examples of that.

Hoover
Want to make sure Surtain gets signed first... so that Law is really the only remaining option; guaranteeing him whatever $ he wants (or KC is f*cked)
Because it takes a long time to roll his wheelchair all the way to KC

siberian khatru

We're waiting for that nice new barrel to arrive -- you know, the one Law's gonna bend us over when all our other options disappear.

wolfpack0735
i was wondering since queen carla has been office how many 2nd round draft choices have worked out for us? we know what we are getting with this trade. :hmmm: as far as june 1st cuts, they know who`s probably getting cut then and their savings and cap eating cost more than likely has been thought of.(hopeing morton and some of those useless cb`s we have) :thumb:

el borracho
03-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I agree with that, thats the way it should be. However we can win it all now if we make some moves on defense. By getting a CB like Surtain who is better than Rolle, Smoot, I think we have to do it based on our window of opportunity.
It is more likely that we can win it all with the additions but it is not guaranteed that we can win it all.

Additionally, I am of the mind that the team should always build with an eye on the future. I do not want to go to complete crap if we can avoid it. We did consistently well for most of the 90s. We became crap at the end of the 90s when multiple free-agents were less effective than anticipated.

Hoover
03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
It is more likely that we can win it all with the additions but it is not guaranteed that we can win it all.

Additionally, I am of the mind that the team should always build with an eye on the future. I do not want to go to complete crap if we can avoid it. We did consistently well for most of the 90s. We became crap at the end of the 90s when multiple free-agents were less effective than anticipated.
can doesn't mean will

Anyway, signing Bell who is in his 20's and Surtain who is 28 is keeping an eye on the future.

R&GHomer
03-09-2005, 02:50 PM
We haven't done jack with our 2nd round pick for as long as I can remember. CP needs bight the bullet and pull the trigger. If we are going to improve this defense we must have a quality starting CB. I don't see us drafting a CB that will make an immediate impact.

el borracho
ya lets keep that 2nd rounder so we can get:
William Bartee
Rashaan Shehee
Eddie Freeman
Mike Cloud
Kawika Mitchell

which one of those guys would you pick over Surtain?
Surtain is a better player than any of those guys. If I had the option of trading one of those players for Surtain I would be all for it. What I am not in favor of is trading a chance at a young, inexpensive player for an older, expensive player with medical concerns.

HC_Chief

Also when we lost the reason for winning in the first place: Marty.
That's right, I said it. :p

tomahawk kid
03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I gotta feeling we're gonna end up with Law.

Carl REALLY wants to hang on to that 2nd round pick. DV wants a WR in round 2 per Denny Thum.

Warrior5
03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
CP needs bight the bullet and pull the trigger.

Sounds like a suicide; somehow I don't think that would improve our chances of getting Surtain.

el borracho
03-09-2005, 02:55 PM
can doesn't mean will

Anyway, signing Bell who is in his 20's and Surtain who is 28 is keeping an eye on the future.
Doesn't Surtain have medical concerns? I thought he had been diagnosed with some degenerative knee condition which will limit the number of years he can play.

Don't get me wrong. Surtain has value but there is a limit to the price I would pay. Given the fact that we already have fewer than normal picks I am against trading away our remaining picks and definitely against trading away more future picks.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a suicide; somehow I don't think that would improve our chances of getting Surtain.

No? Shit, I do!

wolfpack0735
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Surtain is a better player than any of those guys. If I had the option of trading one of those players for Surtain I would be all for it. What I am not in favor of is trading a chance at a young, inexpensive player for an older, expensive player with medical concerns.
medical concerns? all nfl players have medical concerns. sounds like another cop out for letting another team sign a player you thought you had signed.

TRR
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I would be very happy with Ty Law. I am more concerned about how mch money Law will want then his injury right now.

We need to make Law a fair offer, and leave it on the table for him to decide.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:59 PM
I would be very happy with Ty Law. I am more concerned about how mch money Law will want then his injury right now.

We need to make Law a fair offer, and leave it on the table for him to decide.

That's what Carl ALWAYS does: throws a lowball offer onto the table, says "take it or leave it", then lets the player & his agent shop around.

MGRS13
03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
I gotta feeling we're gonna end up with Law.

Carl REALLY wants to hang on to that 2nd round pick. DV wants a WR in round 2 per Denny Thum.
BINGO...and the prize goes to tomahawk kid!

el borracho
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
medical concerns? all nfl players have medical concerns. sounds like another cop out for letting another team sign a player you thought you had signed.
All NFL players do not have degenerative knee conditions.

R&GHomer
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Clear the way for someone that wont let there ego get in the way. Thats not really the way I ment it, but hey if the D*ck head where to off himself I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Iowanian
03-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I think signing Law would be Cool on Game day.

Everytime he got a tackle or INT, they could play "Breakin the Law, Breakin the Law"....

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Everytime he got a tackle or INT, they could play "Breakin the Law, Breakin the Law"....

Sure why not? The rest of the Arrowhead experience is stuck in the 80s....

tomahawk kid
03-09-2005, 03:10 PM

You have put way too much thought into this.

Stinger
03-09-2005, 03:11 PM

not as upbeat but they could also play "I fought the Law and the Law won"

Kclee
03-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Come on, you'd have to mix in "I fought the Law and the Law won" every once in a while.

tomahawk kid
Sure why not? The rest of the Arrowhead experience is stuck in the 80s....

Are you telling me you don't like the video on "ArrowVision", that shows Katie Horner detectking the "Big Red Storm" heading into KC?

Seeing KC Wolf belly flop on the same Broncos jerseys since 1991 is starting to get old?

ROFL

Kclee

You Suck.

BigRedChief

I think it would be cool seeing him take Moss's head off and watch it roll around on the Arrowhead turf....but thats just me.

Iowanian
03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
There you go stinger.

I hadn't actually put any "thought" into that...just "came to me"........but I like Stinger's idea later.

There is enough reason for the Mullets to bob their head at the games.

Stinger
03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
You Suck.

ROFL :p

tomahawk kid
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
There you go stinger.

I hadn't actually put any "thought" into that...just "came to me"........but I like Stinger's idea later.

There is enough reason for the Mullets to bob their head at the games.

Mullets? At a Chiefs game? Seriously? :)

The guy that sat in front of my old seats upstairs had a genuine "Wisconsin Waterfall". The friggin thing was down to the middle of his back.

ROYC75
03-09-2005, 03:17 PM

What is this ? How about something we older folk know ......

I fought the Law and the Law won.........

crossbow
03-09-2005, 03:53 PM

I would settle for the theme song from "Law and Order"

Hoover
03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Would Moss then say soming like "Law don't go around her Law dogg"?

Ari Chi3fs
03-10-2005, 02:09 AM
:thumb:

Over-Head
03-10-2005, 02:15 AM
I hope ya get Law, really, it might help diminish the scorching yer gonna get in the back field now that Collins has Porter, Curry, AND Moss to toss the ball to.
Hell I’d give ya Charles “Mr I wanna be the richest fuggen corner in the league because I’m lazy and greedy” Woodson if he’d go.

Ari Chi3fs
03-10-2005, 02:26 AM
I hope ya get Law, really, it might help diminish the scorching yer gonna get in the back field now that Collins has Porter, Curry, AND Moss to toss the ball to.
Hell I’d give ya Charles “Mr I wanna be the richest fuggen corner in the league because I’m lazy and greedy” Woodson if he’d go.

If we had Law and Woodson, I'd give you a joint.

easymobee
03-10-2005, 03:52 AM

I'm not a fan of your team and i hope that you guys end up with no DB help this offseason.

That said, why not just close your eyes real tight and pretend that you drafted Surtain with your 2nd round pick ( if you are of the opinion that the 2nd is too much to give up ).

What GM (or fan) can call a 2nd round pick that turns into a young Pro Bowl CB a wasted pick?

Considering the number of guys that would be called elite CB's (Surtain being one of them) thats looks like a best case scenario for a 2nd rounder to me.

Anyway .... I hope you guys just sign Terrell Buckley and call off the CB Search right then and there.

Phobia
03-10-2005, 03:57 AM
I'm not a fan of your team and i hope that you guys end up with no DB help this offseason.

That said, why not just close your eyes real tight and pretend that you drafted Surtain with your 2nd round pick ( if you are of the opinion that the 2nd is too much to give up ).

What GM (or fan) can call a 2nd round pick that turns into a young Pro Bowl CB a wasted pick?

Considering the number of guys that would be called elite CB's (Surtain being one of them) thats looks like a best case scenario for a 2nd rounder to me.

Anyway .... I hope you guys just sign Terrell Buckley and call off the CB Search right then and there.

I have a really tough time subscribing to any school that advocates giving up picks. But, Carl has selected a 4th round prospect in the 2nd round for the last time. Give up the 2nd rounder this time. Get Surtain.

I don't think it will happen, but I'm on board.

Over-Head
03-10-2005, 04:44 AM
If we had Law and Woodson, I'd give you a joint.

I'd take a car that would actually start at this point and time :(

htismaqe
03-10-2005, 05:35 AM
That's what Carl ALWAYS does: throws a lowball offer onto the table, says "take it or leave it", then lets the player & his agent shop around.

Of course, considering Law's position, he's gonna have plenty of time to shop and nowhere to do it.

He's INJURED. There's no reason to rush.

Gaz
03-10-2005, 06:30 AM
While it might eventually come down to Law, he is not a viable suspect right now.

Maybe when he upgrades from “ride” to “hobble,” we can take a look.

xoxo~
Gaz
In no hurry to talk to Law.

chiefsfolife
03-10-2005, 06:46 AM
our offense is great...if it was up to me i would give everyone of our draft picks for defensive players this year...we can win right now with some d

ROYC75
03-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Has Law had any visits ?

Is anybody else showing any intrest in him ?

el borracho
03-10-2005, 01:06 PM

While I understand your point, I just have a different philosophical approach. I hope we get CB help. I just want that help to come from free-agency and the draft. Especially in a year when so many good CBs were free-agents and there are so many good CB prospects in the draft.

My first preference would have been to sign one free-agent CB and take one in the draft. That is still possible but, if not, I would be fine taking two CBs in the draft. There are enough good prospects to get two in the first two rounds. Surely one of the two would work out.

whoman69
03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
While I understand your point, I just have a different philosophical approach. I hope we get CB help. I just want that help to come from free-agency and the draft. Especially in a year when so many good CBs were free-agents and there are so many good CB prospects in the draft.

My first preference would have been to sign one free-agent CB and take one in the draft. That is still possible but, if not, I would be fine taking two CBs in the draft. There are enough good prospects to get two in the first two rounds. Surely one of the two would work out.
I don't want to start drafting CBs like we have drafted DTs hoping one of them would pan out. If you draft with the notion that you probably fugged up on the pick before, you may as well just trade all your picks like the Redskins used to under George Allen.

Chief_Justice
03-10-2005, 02:18 PM

You make a good point with Surtain regarding the 2nd round pick, but the issue, for me, isn't giving up the pick (I'll gladly part with it) or the possible injury concern or the age for that matter.......

It's the M-O-N-E-Y..........

A second round pick signs a 5 year deal worth 7-8 million dollars and a signing bonus of 1.5 to 2 million dollars.

Surtain will cost a signing bonus of AT LEAST 10 million, not to mention the multi-year contract averaging 5-6 mil. a year.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Don't misunderstand me. I would rather have Surtain than any of the other options out there.....I just don't understand how the Chiefs will be able to afford him salary-cap wise.

Most people here are acting like all we have to do is give up the 2nd round pick and he's ours..........well, that, and the enormously HUGE contract it will take to get his agent to agree to the deal.

That said, if the Chiefs can find a way to afford him.........get it done!