ChiefsCountry
03-09-2005, 03:14 PM
1989 - Mike Elkins
1990 - Tim Grunhard
1991 - Joe Vallerio
1992 - Matt Blundin
1993 - No pick used on Darren Mickell
1994 - Donnell Bennett
1995 - No pick traded to Philly for Victor Bailey, Philly used pick on Bobby Taylor
1996- Reggie Tongue
1997 - Kevin Lockett
1998 - No pick used on compensation for Chester McGlockton
1999 - Mike Cloud
2000 - William Bartee
2001 - No pick used on compensation for Dick Vermeil, St. Louis drafted Tommy Polley
2002 - Eddie Freeman
2003 - Kawikia Mitchell
2004 - Junior Sivaii, Kris Wilson

Suprisinly I remembered all of these. Out of that group - Tim Grunhard and Reggie Tongue were actually good. Donnell Bennett and Lockett were average. The rest have stunk. Well Vallerio was the best catching offensive lineman :) But that just proves the risk for trading for Surtain would be nill.

ExtremeChief
03-09-2005, 03:19 PM
My guess is that the main problem with the Surtain deal isn't the 2nd round pick, it's Surtain's contract and his willingness to restructure.

Ghostof
03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah but this year could be different

Lzen
03-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I would say obviously Grunhard and Tongue were great picks. But I think the Bennett and Lockett picks were more than just average. They were above average. 2nd round quality? I don't know. I'd still say the jury is out on Mitchell, Siavi, and Wilson.

But in the end, I agree. Surtain is worth a 2nd round pick. As long as, like EC said, he's willing to restructure or sign a long term contract.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 03:23 PM
The sad thing is, it ain't just the second round. We're pretty bad across the board, with the occasional hit every few years.

Iowanian
03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
I thought St Louis used the #12(2nd round) on that DT, whose name escapes me at the moment?

Gravedigger
03-09-2005, 03:26 PM
I know every time the chiefs step up to the draft board they never get a person that espn is highlighting as one of the best of the draft they go after people like kawika mitchell and eddie freeman. Give that number two up and face the facts that we will get more use out of an aged cornerback but proven instead of god knows what we will waste it on like something we dont need such as a .....tight end :banghead: I say get hartwell then work for the others.

TRR
03-09-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure how anyone could say Donnell Bennett was anything but average. Definitely not worth a 2nd round pick.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I thought St Louis used the #12(2nd round) on that DT, whose name escapes me at the moment?Damione Lewis. And that was a first round pick, for Green.

Mark M
03-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Holy crap ...

what a punch bowl full of turds.

MM
~~:banghead:

ChiefsCountry
03-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I thought St Louis used the #12(2nd round) on that DT, whose name escapes me at the moment?

You are thinking of the first round pick we sent them for Trent Green. That would be Damione Lewis. The Rams had 3 first round picks that year. Lewis from Chiefs, Archuletta on their pick, and used the Titans pick they got for Kevin Carter on Ryan Pickett. The pick they got from us in the second round was used on Tommy Polley.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Is anyone still hesitant about giving up a "valuable" 2nd round pick for a perennial Pro Bowl CB?

el borracho
03-09-2005, 03:32 PM
That problem is not solved by giving away the picks. That problem should be solved by hiring a competent scouting team.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 03:56 PM
But that just proves the risk for trading for Surtain would be nill.

It proves why our GM, front office and talent scouts should have been fired long ago so that 2nd round picks actually have a chance of adding a lot of value like they do for good teams...

Some people act like having Carl Peterson as GM is like being born with a disability....that you should just accept it, deal with it and move on....Carl Peterson being the GM of the Kansas City Chiefs is not a birth right. We as fans should be outraged that we have such a pathetic GM, not just roll over and accept it.

Hoover
03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I miss Sheehee

suds79
03-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow that list is amazingly pathetic.

I could 2 good players on that entire list.

That list is a perfect example why we all have to join together and pray :grovel: :grovel: :grovel: that Carl either hangs it up after next year or that Clark takes over and lets him go.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 04:16 PM
The Fins are a far cry from the NFL elite yet here is a look at their 2nd rounders since 89: You have many quality starters and several excellent players like Surtain, Madison, Chambers and Sims.

2003 Eddie MooreLBTennessee
2001 Chris ChambersWRWisconsin
2000 Todd WadeTMississippi
1999 James JohnsonRBMississippi State
1999 Rob KonradRBSyracuse
1998 Patrick SurtainDBSouthern Mississippi
1998 Kenny MixonDELouisiana State
1997 Sam MadisonDBLouisville
1995 Andrew GreeneGIndiana
1994 Aubrey BeaversLBOklahoma
1994 Tim RuddyCNotre Dame
1992 Eddie BlakeDTAuburn
1990 Keith SimsGIowa State

Kyle401
03-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I will always remember Vallerio outrunning Bono on his 70+ yd TD run against the cards in '95. Vallerio ran in front for 35-40 yds even though there was no one to block before finally peeling back to shield against pursuit.

ROFL

milkman
03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
It proves why our GM, front office and talent scouts should have been fired long ago so that 2nd round picks actually have a chance of adding a lot of value like they do for good teams...

Some people act like having Carl Peterson as GM is like being born with a disability....that you should just accept it, deal with it and move on....Carl Peterson being the GM of the Kansas City Chiefs is not a birth right. We as fans should be outraged that we have such a pathetic GM, not just roll over and accept it.

Great post.
You are absolutely right.

Rain Man
03-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I miss Sheehee

Unlike tacklers.

Rain Man
03-09-2005, 06:49 PM
That Bobby Taylor for Victor Bailey trade sure hurt.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Great post.
You are absolutely right.

Thanks...Just wish most of the other fans agreed, then something might get done about it.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
That Bobby Taylor for Victor Bailey trade sure hurt.

Come on, I think the Chiefs got 2 career catches out of Bailey....I think that is slighty better than they did with Eddie Freeman.

Bowser
03-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Come on, I think the Chiefs got 2 career catches out of Bailey....I think that is slighty better than they did with Eddie Freeman.

His wife got more run for her being in the olympics that year than V Bailey did for being on the field. He must not have been able to pick up Marty's complicated offense.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
He must not have been able to pick up Marty's complicated offense.

ROFL

I actually think that Peterson is still on the Eagles payroll and in some dirty under the table plot he came to KC to help the Eagles....Starts to make sense when you consider the Bailey deal and the Welborne deal...

Bowser
03-09-2005, 07:05 PM
ROFL

I actually think that Peterson is still on the Eagles payroll and in some dirty under the table plot he came to KC to help the Eagles....Starts to make sense when you consider the Bailey deal and the Welborne deal...

And the whole thing with Trotter going back for less money than we offered....

:hmmm:

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 07:08 PM
And the whole thing with Trotter going back for less money than we offered....

:hmmm:

And always wants to go after former Eagles like he knows them better than any other team...Troy Vincent, Hugh Douglas, Shawn Barber.....Starting to all come together.

One thing is for certain, he clearly isn't working for the Chiefs...at least not in positive fashion.

suds79
03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks...Just wish most of the other fans agreed, then something might get done about it.

That was a great, great post.

I think a lot of people agree with you. The problems is that there's nothing we can do about it.

I know, I know. "Spot going to games" "Hit em in the pocketbook". But realistically what would happen is that those people would just lose out on their season tickets and they'd be replaced by other people.

2ndly, I don't want to do anythying to motivate owndership to want to move.

Unfortunately I think we're just F-ed until Carl either retires or Clark (new ownership) lets him go.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
The thing that scares me is that Clark takes over and moves the team.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
That was a great, great post.

I think a lot of people agree with you. The problems is that there's nothing we can do about it.

I know, I know. "Spot going to games" "Hit em in the pocketbook".

I realize that not supporting the team is not really a realistic option...Fans are always going to support the players but what needs to change is the "that is just the way it is, so deal with it and move on " attitude that the Titus' of the world carry around...If you are willing to deal with it then the odds of ownership making change is highly unlikely. Fan outrage influences a lot of decisions in the sports business.

Tuckdaddy
03-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Matt Bkundin? Curse on you for typing his name on the planet.

BoroChief
03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Given our track record with 2nd round picks I officially announce that I'm a rider on the Patrick Surtain for our 2nd round pick bandwagon. This forum rocks. being a Chiefs fan in Virginia sucks due to lack of game coverage and team news. I've finally found a home to talk about the Chiefs.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Welcome BoroChief. There's several regulars from Virginia on the board. Used to live there myself.

whoman69
03-09-2005, 07:48 PM
That problem is not solved by giving away the picks. That problem should be solved by hiring a competent scouting team.
Exactly, you don't fix a problem with our picks by throwing them all away. Pederson has been all to willing to toss away picks for little return. It doesn't make sense to me to give away a pick for a player when you can get another player without giving it up. What Carl needs to do is get over this gambler mentality with his first day picks. He's trying to prove himself a genius, when his reaches and tweeners make him a genious.

NaptownChief
03-09-2005, 08:22 PM
It doesn't make sense to me to give away a pick for a player when you can get another player without giving it up.

Speaking of Virginia, Titus will inform you that this is a ridiculous idea...

Bowser
03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
The thing that scares me is that Clark takes over and moves the team.

To where? They would be stoopid to want to move this team from KC. This city for the Chiefs is like a friggin gold mine, because there just isn't shit else to do around these parts, than to follow the Chiefs! IMO.....:D

Iowanian
03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Given our track record with 2nd round picks I officially announce that I'm a rider on the Patrick Surtain for our 2nd round pick bandwagon. This forum rocks. being a Chiefs fan in Virginia sucks due to lack of game coverage and team news. I've finally found a home to talk about the Chiefs.

You can check out any time you like, but you can neeeeever Leeeeeeeave.