PDA

View Full Version : Do you hope the Chiefs sign Sammy Knight?

suds79
03-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Just getting a pulse here on what people think. Doesn't seem like many people are talking about him.

I personally think Saftey is a very unimportant posistion on defense so I usually am against signing safties but man I think we sometimes forget just how BAD Jerome Woods & Greg Wesley played last year.

Those guys IMO arguably played the worse of all the guys on defense. And they're in some tough company in that field (Mitchell & Bartee)

Back to subject:

Sammy Knight 6'0 215 age: 29

Year:

02 - 104 total tackles, 5 ints
03 - 96 total tackles, 3 ints
04 - 98 total tackles, 4 ints

He's pretty consistant. I hope we get him.

Thig Lyfe
03-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Except for Jared Allen and maybe Greg Wesley, just about anybody is an upgrade over what we have now.

shaneo69
03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!

He's like Jerome Woods without the speed.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I think Woods may be a detriment to our entire secondary at this point, so I wouldn't be opposed to it. It's just a shame we spent so much on him a year ago.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 05:20 PM
He's like Jerome Woods without the speed.Jerome Woods is Jerome Woods without the speed.

Phobia
03-09-2005, 05:20 PM

remember when we had that guy who wore "Woods" on the back of his jersey and he liked to hit hard? Where is he playing these days?

suds79
03-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Jerome Woods is Jerome Woods without the speed.

Don't forget to add in the fact that he doesn't scare any WRs with his hits either.

They're probably pretty sure he'll be nowhere around them most of the time anyways.

jspchief
03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Poll needs more options.

My vote is for "I won't be pissed, because i think it's an area of need, but I won't be terribly excited either"

HolmeZz
03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Jerome Woods has square wheels. Gimme Knight.

philfree
03-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Really? Who'd he play for? Miami? Seems I remember hearing his name called alot when I've watched games he was playing in. You know Woods speed wouldn't be such an issue if he'd knock someones ass off when he was a 1/2 step late instead of swatting at the ball. Maybe they want him to play SS?

PhilFree :arrow:

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Good God no. Why waste money on a safety when we have at least 5 guys on the roster that are safeties or can be moved to safety? Jesus, I can't even believe people would be in favor of this.

nascher
03-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Can be !!!

HolmeZz
03-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Good God no. Why waste money on a safety when we have at least 5 guys on the roster that are safeties or can be moved to safety? Jesus, I can't even believe people would be in favor of this.

Having a dozen safeties on your roster doesn't mean anything if they all suck.

Phobia
03-09-2005, 05:32 PM

It definitely means something.

suds79
03-09-2005, 05:34 PM

You make a point but here's where we run into the problem with having Carl as a GM.

All our "Saties" are guys who can't play.

Guys who have the body to play Safety:

Woods - Old and shows it.
Wesley - Use to hit. Somehow that stopped.
Bartee - Do we really want this guy on the field?
Battle - Is great at getting those pass interference calls.
Harts - average.
Pile - Fringe player.

tk13
03-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd like to have a safety, but I want a CB first. If we can get a CB who can cover 1-on-1 better safety won't be as important because Gunther will bring one of them up to the line almost as an extra LB half the time anyway.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 05:36 PM

It does if you have all those safeties yet you still haven't used them at safety.

I don't care what others on here say, Bartee and/or Battle can become capable safeties in this league. Each one was a safety in college and they both play better with the plays in front of them. IMO, Sammy Knight would be a waste just like signing another RB would be a waste. We need help at CB and LB, not safety.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
You make a point but here's where we run into the problem with having Carl as a GM.

All our "Saties" are guys who can't play.

Guys who have the body to play Safety:

Woods - Old and shows it.
Wesley - Use to hit. Somehow that stopped.
Bartee - Do we really want this guy on the field?
Battle - Is great at getting those pass interference calls.
Harts - average.
Pile - Fringe player.

Decent analysis, but of those 6 players only 3 have seen enough play time at safety to make a judgment. IMO, Pile looks like he could turn into a player, and the argument that Bartee and Battle suck at CB so they must suck at safety just doesn't fly with me.

suds79
03-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Decent analysis, but of those 6 players only 3 have seen enough play time at safety to make a judgment. IMO, Pile looks like he could turn into a player, and the argument that Bartee and Battle suck at CB so they must suck at safety just doesn't fly with me.

Well said. I suppse to be fair to Battle you could say that but I feel I've seen plenty of William Bartee to see that he just doesn't react quickly to plays. He might be fast but what good is it if he's one of the last to see what's goin on the field.

beer bacon
03-09-2005, 05:53 PM
I don't really know what to think about this. Knight seems to have good stats and seems solid.

The thing is, the two positions I want improved the most are first CB, which really needs to be improved above everything else, and second OLB. It really looks like we aren't going after Hartwell anymore, unless the KC sports media people are being even more dumb then usual. I would like to get Simmons from Seattle, but the rest of the remaining crop does not look impressive at all.

So I guess what it comes down to is an FA safety or OLB. I would rather have an OLB, but I don't want someone that will just end up as a backup.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Is everyone assuming Sammy Knight will come IN ADDITION to a top flight CB like Surtain or Law? Or are you guys thinking we will sign Knight instead of going after a CB?

I think Carl and co. have 1 more free agent signing in them, and I don't want it to be Knight. Do you guys really think we are going to sign a few more players?

beer bacon
03-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Is everyone assuming Sammy Knight will come IN ADDITION to a top flight CB like Surtain or Law? Or are you guys thinking we will sign Knight instead of going after a CB?

I think Carl and co. have 1 more free agent signing in them, and I don't want it to be Knight. Do you guys really think we are going to sign a few more players?

Bell just said in an interview that our plans are/have been to bring in an LB, CB, and safety. That matches up with what Carl&Friends have been saying.

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 06:01 PM
I would like to see us sign:
Knight, Herdon, Hartwell

:shrug:
We get to keep our picks and can draft a nickelback.
It should be enough of an upgrade in the secondary to allow the front 7 to get the job done and enough of an upgrade in the front 7 to make the secondary look really god, particularly against certain QBs who **** up under pressure (Collins, Brees, Plummer....) thats like 6 easy wins without leaving the division. Even if Brees doesnt start, A rookie will **** up when he sees Hartwell and Bell in his face.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Bell just said in an interview that our plans are/have been to bring in an LB, CB, and safety. That matches up with what Carl&Friends have been saying.

I have heard that, but I don't believe what the front office says anymore. I think we only have around 3 mill in cap space left, and most if not all of that would be taken up by a #1 CB, unless we want to go with the Pro Bowl talents of Kelly Herndon.

I want quality this year, not quantity. I think we can get by with what we have at safety if we add Surtain/Law and Bell in the middle. That would be two Pro Bowl players we are adding to our defense.

the Talking Can
03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Knight, Herdon, Hartwell

oh god...Barber, McCleon, Holliday part deux.....if that is what CP means by being aggressive then we are toast

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
oh god...Barber, McCleon, Holliday part deux.....if that is what CP means by being aggressive then we are toast
If you say so. But Herndon has similar stats to Rolle, Knight has enough tackles to kill a horse and Hartwell is the shit.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
hell no i don't want sammy knight

save the money and sign hartwell

or

save the money and trade for surtain

we just gotta be able to find a free safety out of the 10 safeties we already have on the roster. :cuss:

the Talking Can
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
If you say so. But Herndon has similar stats to Rolle, Knight has enough tackles to kill a horse and Hartwell is the shit.

I misread Hartwell, I assumed you typed Bell...there's no way we fork out cash for Hartwell....hell, we seen no evidence yet that the Chiefs are serious about paying for a #1 corner...you know they're hoping they can get Law on the cheap because of his foot...

htismaqe
03-09-2005, 06:23 PM
We won't sign Herndon and Knight. They're both safeties.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 06:25 PM

? I think Herndon is a CB.

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
if you say so....

# 31 Kelly Herndon
Position: CB
Height: 5-10
Weight: 180
Born: 11/03/1976
College: Toledo
NFL Experience: 3
per http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/146330

Gravedigger
03-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Woods and wesley are fine for our safety's but if you look at those numbers they really dont fluctuate or go down over the past three years so he has something called reliability. I would'nt mind but we have to get law. That is a must an absolute must cause he is the only one left out there that I would want to improve the defense.

ILChief
03-09-2005, 06:58 PM
While Knight is better than either of our safeties, I'd rather sign another LB(Hartwell) or a CB (Law, Surtain). I think we can get by with our current safeties. If they are hell bent on replacing Woods why not give Harts/Pile/Bartee/Battle a shot. I'd rather sign a WR than a safety. But if Knight comes cheap enough, I'll be OK with it but it isn't what I would do.

eazyb81
03-09-2005, 07:00 PM
While Knight is better than either of our safeties, I'd rather sign another LB(Hartwell) or a CB (Law, Surtain). I think we can get by with our current safeties. If they are hell bent on replacing Woods why not give Harts/Pile/Bartee/Battle a shot. I'd rather sign a WR than a safety. But if Knight comes cheap enough, I'll be OK with it but it isn't what I would do.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying, seems like common sense to me.

BoroChief
03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree that Woods is getting old and is falling off a bit, but our corners just flat out sucked last year. I would love to see Surtain or Law in a Chiefs uniform. In terms of safeties I would welcome back with open arms Reggie Tongue if he were available. I agree about the front office and not believing what they say anymore. What were they smoking when they signed Eric Crouch as a Safety and allocated him to Nfl Europe. The Bell signing gives me some hope for the D. I just hope Carl and the boys don't screw things up again and sign players for positions we don't really need any help at.

the Talking Can
03-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Knight, Herdon, Hartwell

having finally read this correctly, I would be pretty happy...its a risk, I think, settling for Herndon but Hartwell and Bell is 500% improvement in our LB core....draft the best CB in RD 1 for a nickle, or Pollack/Roth aty DE and let's roll

htismaqe
03-09-2005, 08:49 PM
if you say so....

# 31 Kelly Herndon
Position: CB
Height: 5-10
Weight: 180
Born: 11/03/1976
College: Toledo
NFL Experience: 3
per http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/146330

Nevermind.

Confused him with the other Donk DB FA, Kenoy Kennedy. Damn names that start with K.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Damn names that start with K.Yeah, those people suck.

htismaqe
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, those people suck.

Yes, yes they do.

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I'd love to see Kelly Herndon here. He could spill some trade secrets about the Donkey playbook and fill in nicely for Warfield during his suspension.

Woodrow Call
03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Anyone hear anything about his visit?

digi2fish
03-09-2005, 11:09 PM
I would rather to save the money for a CB and move the current CBs to the safeties

bringbackmarty
03-09-2005, 11:47 PM
mark pender plays a piccolo trumpet on conan. mark pender is from kansas city. I digress. **** sam Knight . insert Harts or Battle Or Draft somebody. Sign LAw Sign Surtain TRADE HOLMES BELICHEK WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!

You want somethin you never had>? You gotta do somethin you never did.

HolmeZz
03-09-2005, 11:58 PM
OHHHHHH SAMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. [/pender]

J Diddy
03-10-2005, 12:01 AM
mark pender plays a piccolo trumpet on conan. mark pender is from kansas city. I digress. **** sam Knight . insert Harts or Battle Or Draft somebody. Sign LAw Sign Surtain TRADE HOLMES BELICHEK WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!

You want somethin you never had>? You gotta do somethin you never did.

Dude, you need to lay off the caffeine.

trndobrd
03-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Save the $$s. I don't think Knight would work well for us at CB.

beer bacon
03-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Save the $$s. I don't think Knight would work well for us at CB.

He would play safety, not CB.

trndobrd
03-10-2005, 01:22 AM
He would play safety, not CB.

If the Chiefs follow to the usual format, they would try to 'covert' him to CB shortly after his arrival like every other decent safety. He would become a 'project', then a 'failed project'. After a few seasons of trying to learn the CB position he would be returned for a few unimpressive years as a non-hitting safety.

htismaqe
03-10-2005, 06:06 AM
If the Chiefs follow to the usual format, they would try to 'covert' him to CB shortly after his arrival like every other decent safety. He would become a 'project', then a 'failed project'. After a few seasons of trying to learn the CB position he would be returned for a few unimpressive years as a non-hitting safety.

That's their usual format for the DRAFT.

If they sign Sammy Knight, he will play safety.

CHIEF4EVER
03-10-2005, 06:13 AM
We have enough safties on this roster to provide depth for 2 teams. Sorry, but Mr. Knight just isn't a priority financially IMHO. I also (personally) believe that Billy boy Bartee might actually be a decent safety given the chance.

nascher
03-10-2005, 06:33 AM
lol Bartee

KCWolfman
03-10-2005, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't mind. But I think we need the CB and OLB first, which means we really can't afford him.

bricks
03-10-2005, 07:53 AM
I would welcome a Safety with open arms on this team. Our Safeties stink! I can't believe ppl around here, aren't enthused at all about acquiring a safety. When it seems like a definately need! Jerome Woods seems done to me. He's a step too slow(leg injury concerns), missed a lot of tackles last year, and, blew a lot of coverages. wesley gets too much credit than deserved, I think the guy is overrated. Any help we can get I'd be glad to welcome on this defense. Our pass defense was 31st in the league last year, not only cause of Bartee, McCleon, and Battle, we gave up a lot of passes over the middle of the field, and our safeties couldn't cover ground worth a damn. Other teams WR's weren't intimidated to go into the middle of the field against us. Why? Cause our safeties are pussies and can't lay a lick worth a dime! How many tackles did woods and wesley miss last year? How many times did we're they out of position to not make plays? Several. I can't even believe how some ppl can say safety isn't that an important postion on defense. My advice watch film of Brian Dawkins and Micheal Lewis, and, compare that to Woods and Wesley. I'll bet you guys would want a safety after you see the difference between those Safety tandems.

*p.s. Get safety strike fear into WR's. Get a shutdown corner. We have the money to do it. So why not. I'll gladly take Sammy Knight on this team.

Gaz
03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
It is a matter of numbers and hierarchical needs.

We need LB & CB help. Safety is a distant [though finite] need.
We have [2] guys who showed some promise when hurled into the fire [Harts & Pile].
We have [2] guys on the roster who were Safeties in college [Bartee & Battle]. De-convert them from CB and back into S.
I think a lot of our Safety problem last season is that the Safeties had to compensate for truly abysmal play at LB & CB.

We have lots of Safeties on the roster and serious needs at LB & CB. Therefore, we should not spend cap room on yet another Safety.

P.S: Please stop using the antiquated term “Shutdown Corner.” There is no such animal. Get used to it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Saving the $$$ for positions of real need.

HC_Chief
03-10-2005, 08:36 AM
P.S: Please stop using the antiquated term “Shutdown Corner.” There is no such animal. Get used to it.
So says you. The "experts" and <i>players</i> still use that term... so shall I.

As far as Sammy Knight is concerned: WE ALREADY HAVE <H1>TWELVE</h1> SAFETIES ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER!!!!!!

Vermeil should be shot.

whoman69
03-10-2005, 08:52 AM
remember when we had that guy who wore "Woods" on the back of his jersey and he liked to hit hard? Where is he playing these days?
He took it to the bank and left it there. Frankly I believe that Wesley plays bad when the guy opposite him is not doing the job. He was horrible in 2002 opposite Belser, IMO because he tried to be where he was supposed to be and where Belser was supposed to be. You can't do that. You have to stay in position. Everyone has to do their job. Woods did not do his job last year and Wesley suffered for it.

bricks
03-10-2005, 08:54 AM
As far as Sammy Knight is concerned: WE ALREADY HAVE <H1>TWELVE</h1> SAFETIES ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER!!!!!!

Yeah but unfortunately they all stink :shake:

HC_Chief
03-10-2005, 08:54 AM
He took it to the bank and left it there. Frankly I believe that Wesley plays bad when the guy opposite him is not doing the job. He was horrible in 2002 opposite Belser, IMO because he tried to be where he was supposed to be and where Belser was supposed to be. You can't do that. You have to stay in position. Everyone has to do their job. Woods did not do his job last year and Wesley suffered for it.

Yep.

I'd go a step further and say when Woods WAS in position, the LBs weren't. When the LBs were, the corners weren't. Basically, it was a complete clusterf*ck.

HC_Chief
03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Yeah but unfortunately they all stink :shake:

Nah - they're actually pretty good. Wesley is still a player; Harts and Pile proved they can play as well. Safety is the last place we should be looking to "upgrade". We have guys who can start and play at a good level. What we DON'T have are 3 LBs who we can say the same about. Nor do we have 2 DEs. Nor 2 DTs.

So, of course, Coach Geritol wants to add a safety. :grr: