PDA

View Full Version : The anniversary of the death of John Lennon

Bob Dole
12-08-2000, 10:37 PM
For those of you that loved the Beatles, this is a sad anniversary.

My Daughter was born On this day so for me it is a good day now!!! She just turned 9

Pam

Bob Dole
12-08-2000, 10:38 PM
It is hard to believe that it has been twenty years.

ChiTown
12-09-2000, 02:58 AM
I remember it well. I was devastated at the time. I kept the paper headlines and still have them. I remember going to a candle light virgil at our local park in Omaha at the time. 20 years Wow where does the time fly?

Stingie D
12-09-2000, 08:02 AM
How many of you went to see the Beatles when they performed at the old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City in 1964?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2000, 08:09 AM
Bob Dole welcomes the newcomer, and did not attend any concerts in 1964.

AustinChief
12-09-2000, 08:18 AM
ALthough I have a bigger collection of music than probably 90% of you here, I have never understood why our musical and acting brethen receive more pomp and circumstance after their deaths than people who have made a real difference on the planet.

Many can remember the death dates of Princess Di, Elvis, etc.... but few remember Mother Theresa, Armand Hammer, or CJ Walker - let alone the dates of their deaths or their contributions to society.

While John Lennon was an interesting artist with buckets of talent, he did not do in his lifetime what the three I mentioned above did in a day.

Moon§hiner
12-09-2000, 08:28 AM
The Beatles changed everything.

AustinChief
12-09-2000, 08:34 AM
Brock - "Everything"? You will have to be a little more definitive for me. What did they change? How did their changes do more for the people than Mother Theresa or CJ Walker?

Moon§hiner
12-09-2000, 08:37 AM
Wolfman, The last thing I want to do today is get into a debate with you over apples and oranges.......after all, compared to Jesus Christ, your little cast of nobodies hasn't done anything either.

AustinChief
12-09-2000, 08:39 AM
Brock - Ahhh, but many of us celebrate the Birth of Christ, and the death.

I just find it sad that John Lennon, River Phoenix, John Belushi, et al mean more to our society than people who really do make a difference in the quality of life.

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 04:34 PM
Russ,
That's a cynical way of looking at things. It's easy for people like yourself to critisize people who have achieved fame, and because they haven't achieved sainthood, get critisized mercilously. I understand that the people you spoke of did great things, and their lives should be celebrated. However, in Lennons case, it's hard to critisize him because his life was taken early, while still a relatively young man, and not by his own doing , like John Belushi & River Phoenix(what a rediculous comparison).

BTW, i'm sure people would celebrate your life if you dedicated it solely to other people, but like me & everyone else on this board, i'm pretty sure you won't.

AustinChief
12-09-2000, 04:43 PM
Joe - You interpret my intent incorrectly. I have 4 Beatles CD's and a few John Lennon's as well. I love the music. I just believe that we are a skewed culture that puts more emphasis on pleasuring the ears and eyes of man than actually doing something worthwhile.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2000, 04:51 PM
Bob Dole openly admits to being a hedonist.

That said, Bob Dole also derives pleasure from knowledge, which does not appear to be the norm. (That observation based on the large number of OJ watching, bingo playing, unable to follow arrow whining population.)

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 04:56 PM
I can't argue with that; however, many artists HAVE made a difference(USA for Africa, Farm aid, live aid), and although I agree their accomplishments are significantly less than that of Mother Teresa & Armand Hammer, they did have important contributions.We'll never know if John Lennon would have made great contributions: his life was taken from him.

The comparisons between Lennon & Belushi/Phoenix were absurd. I certainly see a difference between an innocent man being shot down & 2 dopeheads overdosing by there own hands.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2000, 05:02 PM
Bob Dole didn't read it as making any comparison between Lennon and the others--just that those were probably the first dead entertainers that leapt to mind.

Bob Dole is simply thankful that Bob Dole did not have to endure any more Yoko Ono "singing."

redshirt32
12-09-2000, 05:07 PM
Pam, I never really liked John Lennon, though I did love the Beatles. Happy birthday to your daughter!<BR>

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 05:13 PM
Bob,
Ever heard the Linda McCartney version of "Hey Jude?" I downloaded it from Napster. She is every bit as bad as Yoko.

To me it looked like a direct comparison. No, Lennon was no Mother Teresa, but he certainly wasn't Adolph Hitler, either. I see nothing wrong with fans mourning his death.

egonzo
12-09-2000, 05:19 PM
Russ, The 'entertain me' syndrome is in full swing now.

Annual salary of a teacher versus the 40 MILL Brad Pitt made last year.

Only in the Boomer age can OJ and the President get away with that crap.

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 05:23 PM
Of course, the radical right extremists on this board think that teachers are incompetent & overpaid, anyway.

Schools should be ran like corporations. Let the almighty dollar dictate who gets a good education.(just a tad of sarcasm for ya, Russ. :))

egonzo
12-09-2000, 05:25 PM
I watched a show on him the other night, and he talked about raising his son, and how he hadn't picked up a guitar in five years. He wrote Double Fantasy in about THREE WEEKS. He was only forty...I'll never forgive Paul for selling the rights to Reveloution to MJ, only to be used in a commercial.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2000, 05:27 PM
Bob Dole heard Linda M. singing something once, then figured out why she's on keyboards in the background with a dead mic.

Sadly, Bob Dole has had the day from hell, narrowly escaping arrest, and is going to go against Bob Dole's habit of abstaining from Budweiser on Saturdays. Bob Dole is going to honor the death of Faron Young a day early (though it's likely that Bob Dole will still be honoring Faron on the 10th.)

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 05:27 PM
I don't think John Forgave Paul either.

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 05:31 PM
Bob,
The story was that at a concert, one of Wings' sound people taped her singing, and gave it to a radio station DJ, and after it was played on air and Paul found who had leaked it, he fired the guy.

The guy should have sold it. It's f%#king hilarious!

Baby Lee
12-09-2000, 05:36 PM
Sorry about your day Bob. WHat happened?

AustinChief
12-09-2000, 08:52 PM
Joe - Now I understand your misconception. I never mentioned the lifestyles of any of the artists I mentioned. I chose Belushi because I feel that he was as integral to comedy as Lennon (as a soloist) was to music. I pulled Phoenix out of a hat as he was an actor who supposedly had great potential as well. More importantly, both Belushi and Phoenix are celebrated yearly on the left coast on the day of their deaths.

I didn't take into account the way they died, merely our unbalanced judgement of what is important as we gauge gifts of life from the said individuals.

redhed
12-09-2000, 11:54 PM
KcWolfman,
I think you are way off base. Lennon was a poet whose music DID touch people during some of the most turbulent times in our history. Lennons music made people feel good, and there is something noble in that. "But if your talking about destruction, well, you know that you can count me out." "Whisper words of wisdom, Let it be." "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." Simply beautiful lyrics that calmed a restless generation. Was Lennon a saint? of course not. He was just a man who worked for peace every day. He deserves at least a pause to reflect on his goal.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 05:58 AM
Well put, Mr. Blond. But I see your point too Russ. I just disagree in this instance.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-10-2000, 06:38 AM
In a nutshell, Mi_: Bob Dole is father to an 18 year-old cheerleader who went to purchase a plaque for the cheerleading coach. In the course of things, some 45+ year-old man attempted to stick his hand in her pants, and Bob Dole has a "discussion" with the idiot.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry that happened Bob. I hope your "discusssion" used as few words as possible.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-10-2000, 06:59 AM
Many words were exchanged, since Bob Dole's primary objective was/is to put the idiot out of business. Before announcing the true reason for the visit, Bob Dole inquired about the idiot's full name, and obtained a list of his best customers under the guise of obtaining references.

Bob Dole has already talked to coaches of 3 area football teams, which will no longer be doing business with him, and will talk to the owner of both bowling alleys today.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't stop there. I'd write an editorial in the local newspaper & file a complaint with the better business bureau.

That would fix his wagon.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-10-2000, 07:11 AM
Her grandmother already file the BBB complaint, and Bob Dole has asked her to write the letter to the editor herself. Before noon today there will be a "boycott" sign posted at the local sports bar, with the same sign appearing at the university and community college Monday morning.

The town isn't that large and Bob Dole knows a lot of people here. If he has sufficient reserves, he might be in business 6 months from now, but he's not going to be in business this time next year.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 07:16 AM
I have to admit, Bob Dole used alot more restraint than I would have. My first instinct would have been to use physical violence. But your method will teach him a lesson, and keep Bob Dole out of jail.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-10-2000, 07:26 AM
It got a little physical, but not enough to involve a trip to the pokey. (The police officers seemed to be in agreement with Bob Dole that the guy is a scumbag...)

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 07:31 AM
Officers have seen enough of them to know what they look like.

It would be great for that guy to have to spend some time in one of those fine Texas prisons.

jcl-kcfan
12-10-2000, 07:48 AM
Bob,
Your daughter is one fortunate young lady to have a dad like you. Kudos to the show of intelligence and restraint. I think now, that if I ever were put in that situation (my worst fear) I'll remember your posts. Thanks.

karob
12-10-2000, 07:51 AM
Way to go Mr. Dole. By hitting him in the wallet, you will have a bigger impact on him than anything else, short of him going to the pokey.

Also, by hitting him in the wallet, you are getting very close to his heart.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 08:17 AM
Good Morning Al!

jcl-kcfan
12-10-2000, 08:22 AM
Joe,
And a fine good morning to you, too. Sorry about the last e-mail. Did you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click on "sexoff"?<BR>

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 08:26 AM
Al,
The only thing that came through was the text, both times. I'll go back and check it again.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 08:34 AM
Al,
I just sent it back to you. Where the 'picture' was supposed to be, it was just alot of writing, encoded I think.

jcl-kcfan
12-10-2000, 08:38 AM
Joe,
I'll try sending it one last time.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 08:48 AM
Loved the "electile dysfunction", but still nothing on Ken. Sorry.

Baby Lee
12-10-2000, 08:58 AM
Al,
If you would like to try my other e-mail address, send to:
evanjake@btc-bci.com