PDA

View Full Version : Playbook

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Anybody watching Playbook on NFL Network?

There discussing AFC draft needs and such. Talking about Oakland right now. Seems like a very in depth program.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:18 PM
LOL,

Question of the day:

"Who holds the most sacks in one game?"

Doubt anybody on this board could miss that one!

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 07:19 PM
"Who holds the most sacks in one game?"My guess would be the quarterback, the team doctor or one of the cheerleaders.

And what's this "NFL Network" of which you speak?

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Man, it was nice to see DT, even if in replays only.

Talking Chiefs now.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Wilcotts likes the Bell pick up. Says he's a tackling (note: not injury) machine.

Tough to see highlights of our D though. Really dissin' the secondary and LB corp.

philfree
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Anybody watching Playbook on NFL Network?

There discussing AFC draft needs and such. Talking about Oakland right now. Seems like a very in depth program.

In depth? I guess that's why when they discussed our secondary problems the player they mentioned was Warfield "who can't cover down field". Boy did they do their film study.

PhilFree :arrow:

Rain Man
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
What are they saying? What are they saying?

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Talking about Trent being 102 rating at home, 88 on the road. Trouble running the ball in the red zone on the road.

2 year bust at tackle off to Miami.

Thinking David Pollack, Shawne Merriman, or Carlos Rogers will fall to #15 and that they should go with one of these 3.

Highlights of Jared Allen, they agree he is the only one playing from last year.

Still need to be aggressive in FA (especially corner).

Anyway, nothing people here don't already know, but was fun to hear and see some Chiefs stuff out here in the donkey barn.

Redcoats58
03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Did you guys see when the put the stats up for where we ranked in D in every category you could hear one of them laughing. How embarassing.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
In depth? I guess that's why when they discussed our secondary problems the player they mentioned was Warfield "who can't cover down field". Boy did they do their film study.

ROFL

Yeah, they pretty much dissed the entire D, except Allen who they spotlighted.

I guess the in-depth feeling was from watching their takes on the Raiders (since I'm not on a Raider board every day it seemed intelligent and in-depth). Since most of the Chiefs stuff was already talked about here, maybe it wasn't so in-depth.

Like I said though, it's nice to get even 7 or 8 minutes Chiefs coverage here.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Did you guys see when the put the stats up for where we ranked in D in every category you could hear one of them laughing. How embarassing.
That was sad. I thought about posting the stats, but I was trying to keep this an optimistic thread!

philfree
03-09-2005, 07:33 PM
What are they saying? What are they saying?

Thet're just going over our team needs. They said teams teams ran all over us in 2004? Sorry boys but that 2003. Said we are terrible at playing in space and showed our secondary missing many at tackle. They were right about that one. Then they started saying our offense is a mixed bag and .......I had to go out to the garage and watch a cheer routine...........

unlurking
OUCH!!!

Talking about Droughs:

"Here he runs all over the Kansas City defense (everybody did)..."

Herzig
ROFL

Yeah, they pretty much dissed the entire D, except Allen who they spotlighted.

I guess the in-depth feeling was from watching their takes on the Raiders (since I'm not on a Raider board every day it seemed intelligent and in-depth). Since most of the Chiefs stuff was already talked about here, maybe it wasn't so in-depth.

Like I said though, it's nice to get even 7 or 8 minutes Chiefs coverage here.

Wilcots fuked up when he said that Jared Allen was drafted in the 1st round. It was a nice segment on the Chiefs though. They are doing the whole AFC west right now.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Thet're just going over our team needs. They said teams teams ran all over us in 2004? Sorry boys but that 2003. Said we are terrible at playing in space and showed our secondary missing many at tackle. They were right about that one. Then they started saying our offense is a mixed bag and .......I had to go out to the garage and watch a cheer routine...........

ROFL

For me, the sad part was watching one replay where ALL THREE LBs whiffed a tackle and Woods had to come up and "slow down" the TE.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Wilcots fuked up when he said that Jared Allen was drafted in the 1st round. It was a nice segment on the Chiefs though. They are doing the whole AFC west right now.
I thought I heard that, assumed he actually said 1st day, but I wasn't sure. Guess that's a testament to how well he did this year.

Trashin' Plummer about his INTs. ;)

philfree
ROFL

For me, the sad part was watching one replay where ALL THREE LBs whiffed a tackle and Woods had to come up and "slow down" the TE.

Yeah that was the 'Keystone Cops' all over again :shake:

unlurking
"So signing Jeff Garcia would be a good thing?"

"OOOHHH NO, I'm not sayin' that!"

ROFL

big nasty kcnut
03-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Remember folks we got to get rid of the bad apples of greg robinson and get back to gunther angry defense.
Plus play smarter.

Herzig
03-09-2005, 07:38 PM
I thought I heard that, assumed he actually said 1st day, but I wasn't sure. Guess that's a testament to how well he did this year.

Trashin' Plummer about his INTs. ;)

I had to TiVO it to make sure, but he did.

Herzig
03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Talking about Trent being 102 rating at home, 88 on the road.

That was really stupid of them to say. I think half the teams in the league would want a QB with an 88 QB rating AT HOME!!

Trent has been a great pickup for us...and that is coming from a guy who dissed the trade for him.

philfree
03-09-2005, 08:39 PM
That was really stupid of them to say. I think half the teams in the league would want a QB with an 88 QB rating AT HOME!!

Trent has been a great pickup for us...and that is coming from a guy who dissed the trade for him.

Yeah and I'd be willing to wager that most QBs ratings aren't as high on the road as they are at home. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Holmes on pace to break the rushing TD in a season record he set the year before? I've watched those guys enough at this point to say that they aren't always right in their assessment of things NFL.

Valiant
03-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Teams didnt have to run all over us in 2004 it was easier to pass...Our rushing avg. allowed was second to last... That is why there is a myth about our rushing defense being better last year...it was not...

We allowed a 4.6 yards per carry agianst us...

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Exactly. The only reason our rushing defense looked better than it was was the low number of attempts. We had a horrible per carry average and got pummeled in the red zone.

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
teams didnt have to run all over us in 2004 it was easier to pass...i rushing avg. allowed was second to last... that is why there is a myth about our rushing defense being better...it was not...

we allowed a 4.6 yards per carry agianst us...

Uh, that was an improvement over the previous year.

Valiant
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Gochiefs what is the difference of you being a virgin in 2003, and agian in 2004???? not a damn thing.... Just like our rushing D was shit both years...

jspchief
03-09-2005, 08:56 PM

Yea...we moved up from 32nd to 31st. Point is, we still sucked against the run.

unlurking
03-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah and I'd be willing to wager that most QBs ratings aren't as high on the road as they are at home. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Holmes on pace to break the rushing TD in a season record he set the year before? I've watched those guys enough at this point to say that they aren't always right in their assessment of things NFL.

I agree with you and Herzig. My guess is that they pretty much always have to try and point out negative things about everyone.

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Yea...we moved up from 32nd to 31st. Point is, we still sucked against the run.

12th against the run. Yes the YPC was high but the thing that plagued us (long runs) was pretty much eliminated. Our run D was significantly better. Remember the end of the Titans game when they tried to run three straight times to ice the game with the field goal? They were stuffed on third down. That enabled us to win the game.

Last year our run D would have caved.

We also didn't allow as many 100-yard rushers...I'm too lazy to go look but it was something like only five all year.

Valiant
03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
12th against the run. Yes the YPC was high but the thing that plagued us (long runs) was pretty much eliminated. Our run D was significantly better. Remember the end of the Titans game when they tried to run three straight times to ice the game with the field goal? They were stuffed on third down. That enabled us to win the game.

We also didn't allow as many 100-yard rushers...I'm too lazy to go look but it was something like only five all year.

Have you just lost your brain.... Teams were setting records agianst our offense at a record pace... Why run the ball and eat up the clock when they can score points at will???

Just because we stop the titans does not mean shit for the whole year... We gave up 4.6 yards a carry... Teams ran on us most of the time when they wanted to.... They did not have to, because our secondary was ten times worse.... hell we were tied for 27th in rushing tds given up.... Are vaunted rushing D, should of stopped that...

But here is the greatest thing, we were 27th in 2003 also... We gave up the same damn amount of rushing touchdowns....Spin that for me on how our Rushing D was better???

jspchief
03-09-2005, 09:12 PM

The only reason our run D may have appeared to improve as the season wore on is because teams stopped bothering with the run.

Why settle for 4.6 yards per play on the ground when you can get 6.5 yards per play in the air?

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Watch a tape from 2003. Now watch a tape from 2004. Clearly the run D was vastly improved. It wasn't top notch, but it wasn't the league's worst. After the Carolina game we pretty much shut down those long runs that caused all the problems under Robinson's regime.

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 09:15 PM
The only reason our run D may have appeared to improve as the season wore on is because teams stopped bothering with the run.

Why settle for 4.6 yards per play on the ground when you can get 6.5 yards per play in the air?

Then why did the Titans run the ball three staight times at the end of their next-to-last possession?

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 09:18 PM
We allowed FIVE POINT TWO yards a carry in 2003. That was down to 4.6 last year. There's your improvement.

Valiant
03-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Then why did the Titans run the ball three staight times at the end of their next-to-last possession?

When has a woman seen your dick??? Miracles happen..... Just like on that series...

Valiant
03-09-2005, 09:21 PM
We allowed FIVE POINT TWO yards a carry in 2003. That was down to 4.6 last year. There's your improvement.

We were 27th in tds given up rushing both years....

We allowed 18 rushing tds both years... There was no improvement..

I think we also called less timeouts this year??? Do you want to claim that worthless stat as a victory as well...

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 09:23 PM
We were 27th in tds given up rushing both years....

We allowed 18 rushing tds both years... There was no improvement..

That doesn't necessarily mean the run defense was bad. It just means our run D wasn't very good inside the five yard line.

jspchief
03-09-2005, 09:33 PM
The Titans game is the game you're going to make your argument with? Talk about taking a knife to a gun fight...You make this too easy. ROFL

Yea, Great series. 3 and out. Chris Brown ran for 91 yards in the first half of that game. The Titans dropped 163 rushing yards on us for a 5.2 yards per carry average.

I guess you're right. After examining that Titans game, we definately are better on run D...:rolleyes:

unlurking
03-09-2005, 09:34 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean the run defense was bad. It just means our run D wasn't very good inside the five yard line.
{tennis loser}
Point!
{tennis loser}

Gotta agree, red zone / goal line packages are different.

(Sadly, that mean you could lob your way to the red zone and walk it in)

:p

I don't care if our run D was any better, worse or the same as last year. I just know it is not instantly better with the signing of Bell. If we could add Hartwell and Surtain (yes, I like to dream), I think this team will drastically improve in both the run and passing game.

(I'm trying to think happy thoughts about our future rather than dwell on the miserable past.)

Chiefnj
03-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Giving up 4.6 yards per carry is bad.

Count Alex's Losses
03-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Giving up 4.6 yards per carry is bad.

5 playoff teams allowed at least 4.5 yards a carry.

jspchief
03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
5 playoff teams allowed at least 4.5 yards a carry.And how many play-off wins did those five play-off teams have combined?

Making the play-offs with sh*tty run D doesn't make the run D any less sh*tty...just ask the '03 Chiefs.

Nzoner
03-09-2005, 10:35 PM

Just finished watching the replay,that was brutal.

Liked the Holtz quote though,"It's not about the X's & O's it's about the Jims & Joes."

philfree
03-09-2005, 10:45 PM

Those guys seem to yuck it up pretty good but that's easy to do when you're sitting on your ass. IMO using their podium to make fun of people is pretty classless.

Nzoner
03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Those guys seem to yuck it up pretty good but that's easy to do when you're sitting on your ass. IMO using their podium to make fun of people is pretty classless.

What's classless is that none of the Chiefs defense has stepped forward and offered to restructure to help out with this season.

I have no problem with those guys yucking it up as I've paid good money for season tickets these last few years to watch this shit defense.

Personally speaking as a professional in my business when I screw up a client's ad or they get pitiful response I do everything I can to make it right with them.

philfree
03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
What's classless is that none of the Chiefs defense has stepped forward and offered to restructure to help out with this season.

I have no problem with those guys yucking it up as I've paid good money for season tickets these last few years to watch this shit defense.

Personally speaking as a professional in my business when I screw up a client's ad or they get pitiful response I do everything I can to make it right with them.

I don't know about the restucture thing. I haven't read where any contracts have been restructured but that don't mean that it won't happen. And as long as we're under the cap it's not an issue really. That said when we go to sign our next couple of FAs I bet we'll see some restructuring on contracts done. I'm also not sure how your line of work compares to the NFL and a bunch of laughing bafoons but whatever.

Nzoner
03-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't know about the restucture thing. I haven't read where any contracts have been restructured but that don't mean that it won't happen. And as long as we're under the cap it's not an issue really. That said when we go to sign our next couple of FAs I bet we'll see some restructuring on contracts done. I'm also not sure how your line of work compares to the NFL and a bunch of laughing bafoons but whatever.

Under the cap or not I just think it would be nice to at least hear of one player owning up to not getting the job done and saying they'll do whatever it takes to help make the unit better without having to be asked.That was the only comparison I was trying to make in being a professional no matter your chosen line of work.

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 01:34 AM
I just caught the replay.

I highly doubt that we go the DE David Pollack Route in the first round.

Jared Allen was great on the pass rush, and unfortunately, our organization is infatuated with Eric Hicks. I dont see them doing the smart thing here and drafting this guy and sending Hicks to the pine.

Shawne Merriman looks pretty good, even though Id really love to see Carl trade up to try to get Derrick Johnson. If we arent going to get Barber back before midseason, it might be good to draft this guy.

Carlos Rodgers looks pretty good, though Im hoping for Antrell Rolle or Pacman Jones to drop to 15, or once again hoping for Carl to trade up to get an impact rookie.

If we dont sign a good corner in FA, we may have no choice but to draft a corner.

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 01:37 AM
I'd love to find some way to get Derrick Johnson and Marlin Jackson.

Talk about a pipe dream.

C-Mac
03-10-2005, 02:34 AM
5 playoff teams allowed at least 4.5 yards a carry.
I thought that the Chiefs D was first in the league having the most "negative yardage tackles" or something to that effect.

philfree
03-10-2005, 03:24 AM
I thought that the Chiefs D was first in the league having the most "negative yardage tackles" or something to that effect.

I don't think we lead the league with the most negative plays but we were up there in that stat. What happened though was we'd get'em in 3rd and long and then give up the first down giving the other teams a whole new set of plays. More plays = more chances for our D to be taken advantage of on the ground as well as through the air. With our D that was more then we could overcome. Same goes for penalties that result in an automatic 1st down. Everytime we did something good we'd turn around and screw it up. You do that in the NFL and it's gonna be hard to win.