PDA

View Full Version : ESPN insider

J Diddy
03-09-2005, 11:47 PM
In espn insider there is an article listing all 32 teams and talking up the front office. I did not list a link here because you have to be a subscriber to gain access and I didn't want to post it all because it is freaking huge.

Here is the KC part if anyone wants anyone else just let me know.

Carl Peterson: President/general manager/CEO
Dick Vermeil: Head coach
Lynn Stiles: Vice president of football operations/player personnel
Mike White: Director of football administration
Bill Kuharich: Director of pro personnel If you are looking for a front office with a lot of veteran voice and no shortage of big titles, then the Chiefs might be your organization. At first glance, this is a very confusing group with all sorts of potential for jockeying for power, but this group has been together so long that it somehow seems to work.
It starts with Carl Peterson, who is not really a film guy or a road scout but is in the mold of the administrator who gathers information, reads reports and checks with his sources, and he will make an informed decision.
Now we get into the confusing titles and roles. Lynn Stiles and Mike White have been with Dick Vermeil a long time and he really likes to bounce things off them, but neither watches a lot of tape or hits the road at this stage of his career. However, White is very effective at tapping his sources over the phone and getting a big-picture feel on where players rate, what their value is and how they fit the Chiefs' mold.
Bill Kuharich seems to be a little bit under the radar in this group, but he has GM qualities and is a guy who watches pro tape and runs a solid pro department. In fact, Kuharich doesn't scout future opponents but travels with the Chiefs instead, which is a little unusual for his role but allows him to be really on top of the Chiefs' roster.
Chuck Cook is an underrated director of college scouting. Although Cook does an excellent job of organizing the draft and delegating responsibilities to his scouts, there are a lot of layers between him and Vermeil, and he might not always have the draft voice he should.
This is an older group, and the challenge for the organization is to look at the present, which is Vermeil's focus, as well as the future, which has to be Peterson's focus. It might not look functional, but somehow this front office works.

Phobia
03-09-2005, 11:50 PM
I hope that article is from last year because they don't know shit.

Bill Kuharich was promoted to VP of Pro Personnel in '03 and is no longer with the Chiefs. I'd say they're a bit off.

J Diddy
03-09-2005, 11:52 PM

Bill Kuharich was promoted to VP of Pro Personnel in '03 and is no longer with the Chiefs. I'd say they're a bit off.

Nope, posted today.
So much for insider, huh?

I thought the final line was funny.

booger
03-09-2005, 11:53 PM

As far as I know he still is with them, unless he got one of the FO jobs in SF or seattle he recently interviewed for.

Nzoner
03-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Now we get into the confusing

This is an older group, and the challenge for the organization is to look at the present, which is Vermeil's focus, as well as the future, which has to be Peterson's focus. It might not look functional, but somehow this front office works.

Yep,I'm confused.

booger
03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
They forgot Thum.

and the great jack steadman Chairman of the Board.

WTF is chairmain of the board anyway?

Phobia
03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
As far as I know he still is with them, unless he got one of the FO jobs in SF or seattle he recently interviewed for.

I thought he was with them, too. Until I went looking for him on the Chiefs website. Nope. Gone.

I heard he'd the director of some NFL scouting service now and now I vaguely remember hearing something about that a couple months ago....

booger
03-10-2005, 12:15 AM
IIRC, if you go by the website, he isn't or wasn't ever listed there. From a CP interview with Petro, he said SF and Seattle had interviewed him but they were looking into a younger guy SF anyway. And he was in the running for seattle but didn't end up getting it. I think we are still stuck with him. I hope Lamar and Clark don't consider him if-when CP goes. He really focked up the saints.

Phobia
03-10-2005, 12:16 AM
He used to be listed because I've reviewed his bio in the past. If he wasn't listed, how did I find his bio?

booger
03-10-2005, 12:20 AM
He used to be listed because I've reviewed his bio in the past. If he wasn't listed, how did I find his bio?
Really?

I just havn't seen it there in the past 6 months or so.

Not sure, maybe it was.

Just get on the phone with your source. I won't be able to sleep. ROFL

Phobia
03-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Really?

I just havn't seen it there in the past 6 months or so.

Not sure, maybe it was.

Just get on the phone with your source. I won't be able to sleep. ROFL

I'll call tomorrow.

Phobia
03-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Hell, this list seems to be up to date (considering it lists Romeo Crennel as the Browns head coach) and it shows Kuharich still with the Chiefs.

http://www.combines.com/leagues/directory/nfl_directory.pdf

booger
03-10-2005, 12:29 AM
I'll call tomorrow.
No hurry. If you happen to find out one of these days let me know.

I wonder who replaced him if that's the case.

No biggy, just wondering. :thumb:

booger
03-10-2005, 12:33 AM
That sucks.

I also remember ready some crap on profootball talk about them speculating CP pushing for him to get one of the FO gigs with some heat coming from people looking for him to shake up the FO or scouting staff with the shitty drafts and such.

JohnnyV13
03-10-2005, 03:15 AM
You guys are missing the point. Did anyone else notice that NONE of the top personnel decision-makers are big film watchers???? Lynn Stiles and Mike White, check their sources, to get get "big picture" ideas of where a guy rates.

Is is any wonder we can't draft worth a damn in the 2nd and 3rd but seem to hit some decent players in the late rounds?

Phobia
03-10-2005, 03:17 AM
You guys are missing the point. Did anyone else notice that NONE of the top personnel decision-makers are big film watchers???? Lynn Stiles and Mike White, check their sources, to get get "big picture" ideas of where a guy rates.

Is is any wonder we can't draft worth a damn in the 2nd and 3rd but seem to hit some decent players in the late rounds?

No. Seems to me it would be completely the opposite of what we've seen for the past decade.