PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss restructures contract

Wallcrawler
03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Just saw on Total Access that Randy Moss agreed to restructure his deal, reportedly freeing up 5 million dollars for the Raiders to use.

He reduced his base salary from 7.1 million, to 2.5 million this season.

Thats one helluva pay cut. Quite honestly, Im surprised to see that coming from Randy Moss.

The Chiefs had better get after whatever defense they are going to get, because it looks as if the Raiders are trying to clear out cap space to sign some players on their crap defense also.

Rausch
03-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Yet another reason to hate Mandy Ross...

Phobia
03-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm sure he just moved the $5 Mill elsewhere. He's not gifting it to Al Davis. That much is certain.

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Thats one helluva pay cut. Quite honestly, Im surprised to see that coming from Randy Moss.That's a common misperception about salary restructuring, that the player is somehow doing the team a favor. Moss (or anybody who restructures) probably didn't give anything up. What generally happens is that they extend the contract, and convert salary into bonus money, effectively spreading whatever is owed the player over a longer period. Odds are, Moss is actually getting paid more right now, not less. It benefits him because he gets a single lump-sum bonus, and it benefits the team because bonuses, unlike salary, are pro-rated.

Woodrow Call
03-10-2005, 12:07 AM
I could see them making a run at Law and Hartwell. They run a 3-4 I believe and they traded Harris :cuss:

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 12:12 AM
That's a common misperception about salary restructuring, that the player is somehow doing the team a favor. Moss (or anybody who restructures) probably didn't give anything up. What generally happens is that they extend the contract, and convert salary into bonus money, effectively spreading whatever is owed the player over a longer period. Odds are, Moss is actually getting paid more right now, not less. It benefits him because he gets a single lump-sum bonus, and it benefits the team because bonuses, unlike salary, are pro-rated.

Hmm.

I wonder why many players are hesitant to re-structure their deals when it comes time to free up some cash to pursue players to help the team then? If it benefits them that greatly, I would think that everyone would be all over a restructuring deal if they get a big lump sum bonus to slam in the bank.

I know I would.

Douche Baggins
03-10-2005, 12:13 AM
I could see them making a run at Law and Hartwell. They run a 3-4 I believe and they traded Harris :cuss:

They're switching to 4-3.

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Hmm.

I wonder why many players are hesitant to re-structure their deals when it comes time to free up some cashSome players restructure constantly. With other players, there's no reason to, because their contracts aren't that big a deal. And generally, the bigger contracts are created with "outs" (like Hollidays) in the event a player doesn't work out.

Now, they do sometimes take actual paycuts. But "restructure" doesn't generally mean "paycut", it means reorganizing the money owed. And a player of Moss' stature making the kind of money he makes in the prime of his career simply isn't going to give cash up.

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Some players restructure constantly. With other players, there's no reason to, because their contracts aren't that big a deal. And generally, the bigger contracts are created with "outs" (like Hollidays) in the event a player doesn't work out.

Now, they do sometimes take actual paycuts. But "restructure" doesn't generally mean "paycut", it means reorganizing the money owed. And a player of Moss' stature making the kind of money he makes in the prime of his career simply isn't going to give cash up.

Ah. That makes sense.

I knew that crap sounded funny with Moss making less money, and he willingly agreed to it. That didnt sound like the Randy Ive watched over the years.

I now return to my regular view of Randy Moss as a walking, talking rectum.

Heh.

ChiefsCountry
03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
I still wish Moss was a Chief, not a Raider.

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I still wish Moss was a Chief, not a Raider.

No dude.......

Just....

No.

He belongs in fader country, with the committment to excrement.

Randy Moss isnt deserving of wearing the Red&Gold.

Hell no.

C-Mac
03-10-2005, 01:07 AM
No dude.......

Just....

No.

ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
03-10-2005, 01:58 AM
If the Raiders sign Hartwell, I will be so pissed.

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I have read somewhere that they might be wanting Ty Law. Law and Woodson are friends I guess, and they may be targeting him.

Of course, theres no guarantee that Woodson will be a Raider at the start of the season, if he refuses to rework that 10 million dollar salary this year.

The Raiders are switching back to 4-3 after the abysmal run they had, so Hartwell could be pretty high on their list as well to anchor the middle. I really hope he doesnt end up with them.

If they rework Woodsons deal, or trade him though, that frees up even more cap space, and then they could throw even more money at him.

ChiefsCountry
03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
No dude.......

Just....

No.

Hell no.

Talent wise, not headache wise.

easymobee
03-10-2005, 02:40 PM
No dude.......

Just....

No.

Hell no.

Randy WHO?

Eddie Kennison >>> Randy Moss

Johnny Morton >>> Randy Moss

Samie Parker > Randy Moss

I'm glad he landed on the Raiders as opposed to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs are in a 1 (maybe 2) year window before the Retirement bug starts biting bad and are closer to being a force now.

The Raiders are re-builders masquerading as contenders.

The worst place for him to land (from my perspective) would have been San Diego.