PDA

View Full Version : How do I access other PC's on my home network?

Lzen
03-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Ok, my setup is DSL comes in to a modem and then to a wireless router. The PC next to the modem and router is connected by ethernet cable. The PC downstairs in the kids room is connected via wireless adaptor. How do I set these up to be able to access files on one computer from another? I've tried a few things but to no avail. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Saulbadguy
03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Are they all windows XP?

They need to be all on the same workgroup, and you need to set up file and print sharing on all the machines. For instance, if you want to share a folder, right click it and choose "sharing"...

BigRedChief
03-10-2005, 12:35 PM
You not worried about security? Share the root drive C: and then you will see them.

Simplex3
03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Odds are your cable modem is giving them IPs from different subnets. If that's the case they might not be able to talk to eachother because all traffic will be going through your ISP's routers which likely block all of the NetBIOS ports, etc.

Go to the command line and run "ipconfig /all" (assuming you're using Windows 2000 or newer) on both boxes and post the results here, it's easy enough to tell with that info.

Lzen
03-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Ok, both PCs are on Windows XP. Both PCs are hooked up to my home router. One is wireless and the other is hooked directly to the router by cable.

And what security issue? The wireless is using a shared key I generated and manually entered into the router and the PC that is using the wireless adaptor.

KC Jones
03-12-2005, 06:08 PM
With your current configuration anything you choose to share in your local network is shared with everyone on the internet... unless your wireless router is also a firewall.