PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back in time and meet your 18 year-old self...

Rain Man
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM
...what would be the most and least surprising thing to the 18 year-old version of you about the current version of you?

For me, the most surprising thing would be that I weigh 200 pounds. I never would have thought that possible at 18.

Second most surprising would be that I like to travel overseas. At 18, I saw absolutely no appeal to doing that.

Third most surprising thing would be that I don't have children. At 18, I thought that everyone eventually had children.

Among the least surprising things, I would offer first that I own a convertible. I had one at 18, so my 18 year-old self would just nod and grin.

Second, it wouldn't surprise 18 year-old me that I live in Denver. It didn't happen the way I expected, but I always thought it would be cool to live in Colorado or Wyoming or Montana.

The third least surprising thing would be perhaps that I still keep in touch with several of my friends from that age range. I tend to maintain friendships pretty well.

seclark
03-10-2005, 11:51 AM
1. i'm still alive
2. i'm sober
sec

MOhillbilly
03-10-2005, 11:52 AM
the 18 year old would say "what a sissy ass slave to the man" or "****in punk"

the 30 year old version would be scared of the 18 year old fire cracker.

BigRedChief
03-10-2005, 11:53 AM
WTF, you still alive?

seclark
03-10-2005, 11:54 AM
WTF, you still alive?
yep, but i lied about the sober part.
sec

InChiefsHell
03-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I'd probably say, "I work on computers for a living?? Aw shit, kill me now!!" I was 18 at the height of the computer revolution, but was probably the only one of my friends who did not give two shits about computers. I graduated in '89...

Then my 18 year old self would say "Wow, you married her huh? Glad that's working out...since I've only known her for like 3 months...I'm about to knock her up?? MAN!!!"

Lastly, my 18 year old self would say "What's up with the buzz cut?? Do you at least still play guitar??" To which I would reply, "yeah I do and I'm better than you are, punk!"

ROYC75
03-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, " If I only knew then what I know now " thread . :shake:

Ghostof
03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Rain is having his "halfway to a Century" realization thread.

Its ok to turn 50 bro.....i mean look at it like this....the nursing home has plenty of room for you.

dilligaf
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
STAY AWAY FROM THAT ****IN B!TCH, DEBBIE!!!

siberian khatru
03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
"WHA?? You actually got laid? By a girl? That you didn't hire?"

|Zach|
03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
the 18 year old would say "what a sissy ass slave to the man" or "****in punk"

the 30 year old version would be scared of the 18 year old fire cracker.
ROFL

badgirl
03-10-2005, 12:17 PM
My 18 year old self would ask my today self, why do you keep taking shit when you don't deserve it?
And I would give my usual response, Hell if I know.

cdcox
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Early in my 18th year I'd be surprised that I was marrying the girl I had started dating, but it would not have suprised me by late in the year.

It would have surprised me that I was a prof - really stoked the ego.

I would have been surprised how much I had not changed. I always thought you would grow up into someone different, but I'm basically the same person I was when I was 18, just older and more experienced. So not much else would surprise me.

DDay
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
39 DDay to 18 DDay...

Buy Microsoft.
Buy Yahoo.
Go ahead and do Julie in college.

Don't worry about the hair.

Rausch
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
There wouldn't be any point talking to an 18 year old me.

Now, a 14 or 15 year old me talking to a 28 year old me would probably do a whole lotta' good...

CosmicPal
03-10-2005, 12:24 PM
The most surprising thing to me is the Chiefs still haven't won a Super Bowl since I was 18.

The least surprising thing to me is the Chiefs still haven't won a Super Bowl since I was 18.

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
If I could go meet my 18 year old self, I don't give a shit what he thinks of me. I'm gonna kick his ass and take his place. College was fun, I wanna give it a second go-round.

Mark M
03-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Most: That I'm still alive.

Least: That I still weigh about the same.

Other than that, the only other thing I'd do is tell my 18 year old self to stop smoking. I like who I am, where I've been, and what I've done, so why fuq with it?

MM
~~:)

Iowanian
03-10-2005, 12:28 PM
18owanian would try to kick 31owanian's ass and laugh hysterically when finding out what he does for a living. He'd never guess that in a Eleventybajillion years.

31 year old Iowanian would sit 18owanian down, show him some scars and give him a list of things not to do, and a list of broads to avoid, and a list of a small handfull who said "why didn't you ever try to ....." 10 years too late.

the whole stock market tip would be nice too.

Rain Man
03-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Rain is having his "halfway to a Century" realization thread.

Its ok to turn 50 bro.....i mean look at it like this....the nursing home has plenty of room for you.

I only look 50. I'm actually much younger. :harumph:

yunghungwell
03-10-2005, 12:36 PM
39 DDay to 18 DDay...

Buy Microsoft.
Buy Yahoo.
Go ahead and do Julie in college.

Don't worry about the hair.

:thumb:

As much as I like your post, it is probably better not to second guess such things. If I start doing this 18 year old YHW would have a scoreboard a lot more like Iowanian's except each belt notch would repesent a less "heafty" woman.

Then there would be those "should have never done her" thoughts.

seclark
03-10-2005, 12:37 PM
if i could mix in one more of me, like around 28yrs old, the 3 of us could have a circle jerk.
sec

CosmicPal
03-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Most: That I'm still alive.

Least: That I still weigh about the same.

Other than that, the only other thing I'd do is tell my 18 year old self to stop smoking. I like who I am, where I've been, and what I've done, so why fuq with it?

MM
~~:)

Aren't you supposed to be working?

:D

gblowfish
03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd like to see if the 45 year old me could beat the 18 year old me in Foosball. I was a lot faster and shot with a lot of power in college, but I play better defense and I'm a lot trickier now, although I can't throw the fastball anymore. Speed Vs Finesse....Brawn Vs Brains....

And I'd also tell the 18-year old me to date a lot of the girls I passed up back then. I had the same girlfriend all the way thru my 4-years of undergrad, then another girl for all my grad school. And I didn't marry either one of them.

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
STAY AWAY FROM THAT ****IN B!TCH, DEBBIE!!!
Heh... I could give the 18 year old me a list of nutty broads to avoid... but, it would be a waste of time. Hell, I knew most of 'em were a bad decision before I got involved, but that didn't stop me.

I'm not very bright.

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 12:51 PM
I had the same girlfriend all the way thru my 4-years of undergrad, then another girl for all my grad school. And I didn't marry either one of them.

That's a tragedy. I'm going to have a moment of silence for you now.

whoman69
03-10-2005, 01:02 PM
18 year old whoman: You're fat, you're bald and you're unemployed? You're a bigger loser than I am.

41 year old whoman: Don't laugh, its going to be awhile before you get laid. Whatever you do, don't be an English major.

gblowfish
03-10-2005, 01:46 PM
That's a tragedy. I'm going to have a moment of silence for you now.The girl from my undergrad was a tall brunette from Rolla and she was HOT...so don't feel too bad for me. The grad school girl was a blue eyed blonde from St. Louis, also very nice. Now they're both just smiles on my face my wife doesn't understand when she's babbling on about something or other....

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
The girl from my undergrad was a tall brunette from Rolla and she was HOT

She was probably the only good looking girl from Rolla the time. I'm sure the UMR males appreciated some MU asshole taking her off the market. Bastard.

Miles
03-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I wonder what my future self would have to say about that.

gblowfish
03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
She was probably the only good looking girl from Rolla the time. I'm sure the UMR males appreciated some MU asshole taking her off the market. Bastard. She always told me getting away from Rolla was one of the best things about being at Mizzou. So I guess that's the real tragedy. I'm going to have a moment of silence for YOU now.

BTW: I always liked Rolla a lot. The couple of St. Pats I went to in Rolla back in the late '70s were big fun. I guess next Thursday is their big day :thumb:

InChiefsHell
03-10-2005, 02:01 PM
She always told me getting away from Rolla was one of the best things about being at Mizzou. So I guess that's the real tragedy. I'm going to have a moment of silence for YOU now.

BTW: I always liked Rolla a lot. The couple of St. Pats I went to in Rolla back in the late '70s were big fun. I guess next Thursday is their big day :thumb:

Wow, Rolla! I spent a few years living there back in the late 70's. I was only about 6 when we left.

The watch me city of the show me state...that's what my dad used to say was their motto...

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 02:03 PM
She always told me getting away from Rolla was one of the best things about being at Mizzou. So I guess that's the real tragedy. I'm going to have a moment of silence for YOU now.

I'm sure she did. Don't cry for me, Argentina. I had a great time in that town.

Pat's in the late 70's would probably make what's gonna happen in Rolla next week look like a damned tea party. All the same, I'm flying back on Wednesday. My board rep jacket is getting pretty rough. The other day I noticed fungus trying to consume it.

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 02:04 PM
The watch me city of the show me state...that's what my dad used to say was their motto...

Never heard that one. Their current motto is "The Middle of Everywhere" They've got a billboard on I-44 (or, at least they did when I was there) proclaiming it. Always made me chuckle when I saw it.

luv
03-10-2005, 02:04 PM
I think people's answer to that would depend upon how long ago they were 18. Mine. . .

1. Didn't get a college degree
2. Never been married and have no kids
3. Working second shift

My ten year high school class reunion should be this summer. Kind of intimidating to think about going and seeing people's reactions who haven't seen me since I was 18.

mcan
03-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I was sitting here thinking, that wasn't that long ago. I'm only 25 now, and still in college. But, if you do the math, nearly 1/3 of my entire life has happened post 18, so I have a lot to tell me...

1. Selfishly, I'd like to tell me to not take the job at Iowa Pipeline. That job led me to destroy my back, which blew up the weekend after I quit that job. I was 18 and blew out a disc. I've never been the same person since. I'd tell myself to baby my back for a year, and stay hydrated. I had no idea that it was about to burst. So, I guess (to answer your question) 18 y/o Mcan would be surprised that I have back problems.

2. 18 y/o Mcan would probably be pretty surprised at how much debt I'm in.

3. 18 y/o me would NOT be surprised at my tastes in music. He would be surprised at the fact that I'm a theatre major. I was going to to music back then.

4. 18 y/o Mcan would not be surprised that I'm still completely drug and alcohol free. He would, however, be very surprised that all of his friends are not...

Ralphy Boy
03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm sure the approach I'd take would be very similar to the way I talk to my 8 year old son.

There is nothing wrong with being good looking, just don't be an ass about it because it won't last. Don't sit on that toilet and don't touch that girl, both have things you don't want. Invest in Rogaine & Propecia, you'll eventually be a customer...add Slim Fast & Bally's to that list.

The Chiefs also won't be winning a Superbowl in the next 10+ years, so don't waste your time worrying or talking about them or reading about them on the internet with other idiots like yourself.

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm only 25 now, and still in college.

Way to f*cking go! Wish I would've had the good sense to stick around college a few extra years.

Oh no, Brian... let's graduate at 21. Don't stay here where you're having fun... partying, boozin' it up, stayin' high all the time, f*cking whores... no, no... let's WORK for a living. Y'know where they'll expect to show up every goddammed day... on time. And, hey get some bills, too. Nothing says "grownup" like a mortgage.

Ahhhh... I feel a little better now.

Rain Man
03-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Never heard that one. Their current motto is "The Middle of Everywhere" They've got a billboard on I-44 (or, at least they did when I was there) proclaiming it. Always made me chuckle when I saw it.

You've gotta be kidding me.

ENDelt260
03-10-2005, 02:18 PM
You've gotta be kidding me.
Dead serious. Check out the chamber website... http://www.rollachamber.org/

Nzoner
03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
The 18 year old me would be surprised to see that I was bald,not writing for a living,owned a fairly successful business,had been married to the same woman for 19 years and that I had an awesome gameroom.

He would not be surprised that I still loved rock-n-roll,staying up all night,partying with friends and watching a good movie.

Logical
03-10-2005, 04:54 PM
My current self weighs only 185 and has lost a ton of fat and unfortunately a huge amount of muscle/strength

My 18 year old self weighed 225 and was stong as hell.

My 18 year old self could have beat the crap out of me now.

:banghead: