PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals still have hope with Hartwell

carlos3652
03-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Link:http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37727

HARTWELL HOPE

Green said the Cardinals continue to have discussions with free agent linebacker Ed Hartwell, who wants to come to Arizona. But Hartwellís contract demands are richer than the Cards are willing to pay ó and one of the reasons Hartwell is finding it hard to find any team to sign him.

"Heís a very talented player, very motivated, and he had a good visit when he was here," Green said. "I donít know what that means (toward signing him).

"We really try to focus (in free agency) on who we feel strongly about and what we can offer them and what they can offer us. If there is a match, letís get together."

Green said the Cards donít have any other free agent visits planned.

The Cardinals did lose out on tight end Itula Mili, who agreed to a new four-year contract with Seattle on Wednesday night.

Big Chief Homer
03-10-2005, 03:36 PM
heard today(espn-Dan patrick show) that the cards might be in the running for edge james.so that might dry up there money pool some.

HolmeZz
03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Cards don't scare me one bit. They could've atleast used a quote of Hartwell saying he wanted to be there. :p

siberian khatru
03-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Hands off, he's ours! The Internet told me so!

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 03:39 PM
We're doomed!

beer bacon
03-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Stop being a drama queen Hartwell. Just pick someone and sign with them :cuss:

Bootlegged
03-10-2005, 03:41 PM
this was out early this a.m.

No breaking news here....

Kris Kringle
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Stop being a drama queen Hartwell. Just pick someone and sign with them :cuss: You mean "just pick KC and sign with KC".

easymobee
03-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Cards don't scare me one bit. They could've atleast used a quote of Hartwell saying he wanted to be there. :p

From my perspective this is a classic "Show me the money" FA instance.

If the Chiefs offer 8 million up front and the Cards offer 9 .... i've seen nothing to lead me to believe he would take the lower offer. The guy seems to be camping out just waiting for that first 10 million SB offer with a pen already in hand.

Plus, its easy for a guy in his position to view (fool himself into the notion? ) the cards as a "team on the rise". It may be fools gold, but they have a real Head Coach, Great WR's, and a D that ranked a lot higher than their "name" talent would have suggested.

I'm not so sure that the Chiefs aren't viewed as a team with almost as many Question Marks as the cards right now (neg rep forthcoming). Chiefs D and long term outlook vs Cards overall persona and youthful makeup.

Also .... can Denny Green turn Kurt Warner into his next salvaged success story ( Randall Cunningham - Jeff George - Warren Moon ) ??

This is gonna come down to $$$ ..........

Cochise
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
This is gonna come down to $$$ ..........

:doh!:

Mr. Laz
03-10-2005, 03:50 PM
We're doomed! Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!
must you?

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
must you?I must. But it wasn't a shot at anyone, I just felt like saying it. I really think we are doomed, at least as far as signing him.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I must. But it wasn't a shot at anyone, I just felt like saying it. I really think we are doomed, at least as far as signing him.

always so negative :shake:

:fire:

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:11 PM
always so negativeI'm really about as negative as you can get. I figure if something can go wrong it will, whether it's football or life. I try to keep that out of my posting. I figure it's not much fun for everybody else when I'm like that.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm really about as negative as you can get. I figure if something can go wrong it will, whether it's football or life. I try to keep that out of my posting. I figure it's not much fun for everybody else when I'm like that.

i prefer honesty ...

if you get too morose somebody will slap ya around a bit

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:18 PM
i prefer honesty ... Oh, I am honest. I've just been doing some rehab on my overall attitude the last couple of years. Change isn't easy, though, there are always 'those' days.

Anyway, 'nuff about me. I don't think we're going to get Hartwell. I haven't since we signed Bell. I wouldn't mind being wrong, although I don't think either one of them is well suited to playing OLB.

BigRedChief
03-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh, I am honest. I've just been doing some rehab on my overall attitude the last couple of years. Change isn't easy, though, there are always 'those' days.

Anyway, 'nuff about me. I don't think we're going to get Hartwell. I haven't since we signed Bell. I wouldn't mind being wrong, although I don't think either one of them is well suited to playing OLB.

So you think Phobia is full of it huh?

Mr. Laz
03-10-2005, 04:27 PM
although I don't think either one of them is well suited to playing OLB.

i think Hartwell can play OLB ... he ended up on the outside alot in baltimore's 3-4 lineup.

Terrell Suggs was listed as a OLB but he played at the OLB/DE pass rusher.

Ray lewis almost always stayed in the middle unless he was blitzing

that left Hartwell on the outside, maybe not a true outside linebacker... but he covered the outside 3rd of the field.

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:32 PM
So you think Phobia is full of it huh?Well...duh
i think Hartwell can play OLB ... he ended up on the outside alot in baltimore's 3-4 lineup. etc. etc..Everything I've read indicates he's not strong at all in coverage. If that's true it'll be like having Maslowski out there again, albeit a much more talented Maslowski.

Logical
03-10-2005, 04:37 PM
We're doomed! Dooooooooooo....ooooomed!

Keg, old buddy old pal. Please put some breaks in all those o's they are f*cking up the screen so you cannot read the posts. It is one thing when someone posts a picture that is too large (maybe they do not have a photoshop type app to resize) but there is no need for this one.

Thanks for the consideration
Vlad

Mr. Laz
03-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Everything I've read indicates he's not strong at all in coverage
i dunno :hmmm:

i do know he fills "inside out" better than anyone we have on the roster right now x10. he hits harder and tackles better than anyone on our defense as well.

maybe if our linebackers are strong enough against the run we can use the safeties in coverage more.

i just want one level of our defense to be quality ... and right now the best chance for that is linebacker imo.

you know i'm a cornerback homer... but right now it's just not in the cards. we need to pull a philly and draft 2 corners in day one and hope the develop quickly behind a beastly linebacker corps.

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Keg, old buddy old pal. Please put some breaks in all those o's they are f*cking up the screen so you cannot read the posts.Strange, that's not happening to me. I would've fixed it already had I known.

Logical
03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Strange, that's not happening to me. I would've fixed it already had I known.

Thanks Keg,

I am guessing you are not using IE which is my only option at work.

whoman69
03-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Where's Section 11 when we need to make some threats?

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:49 PM
i do know he fills "inside out" better than anyone we have on the roster right now x10. he hits harder and tackles better than anyone on our defense as well.Better than anyone we had. I think a healthy Bell is as good or better, but we can certainly use all the talent we can find.i just want one level of our defense to be quality ... and right now the best chance for that is linebacker imo.

you know i'm a cornerback homer... but right now it's just not in the cards. we need to pull a philly and draft 2 corners in day one and hope the develop quickly behind a beastly linebacker corps.I see it a little differently. I'd rather sign someone like Polley at LB and have enough left to add Law or Surtain. I also think Woods needs to be replaced. I wasn't able to watch most of last season, so I'm basing this on a hunch, but I think our secondary problems last year were less because of the front seven and more because Bartee, McCleon and Woods were on the field sucking wind at the same time. Not that the front seven didn't have a part in it.

And I'll say what I've said a lot recently. I'm all for adding a rookie CB into the mix, from the 1st or 2nd round. I think we have no choice at this point. But I also think that hoping two rookies, on the same team (our team, no less, with our history of developing CBs...), will play beyond their years is a pipe dream. I really believe that, if we go into the 2005 season without a significant veteran upgrade in the secondary, we're asking for a world of trouble.

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I am guessing you are not using IE which is my only option at work.No, I'm using IM. No big deal to fix it, either way.

Kyle401
03-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Well...duh
Everything I've read indicates he's not strong at all in coverage. If that's true it'll be like having Maslowski out there again, albeit a much more talented Maslowski.

Maz has 3 more career ints than :Bartee: maybe we should move him to CB!

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I dont think we will get Ed Hartwell either.

Bell is CP's answer to the LB corps. DV has said in an interview that Barber is still in the plans for this season. That makes out linebackers Barber, Bell, Fujita.

Right now, the bleeding has to be stopped in the secondary. Dropping a 10 m SB on Hartwell, and who knows how much salary would not help that situation at all.

The Chiefs need to net a good CB, and then see what they can do with whatever money is left after that. CBs arent cheap.

Safety is an issue, but I think that position can be filled from within. Battle, Bartee, Pile, Harts, all these guys should compete for the job along with Woods.

That would leave the remaining money to be used on another position of need.

Personally, the only Safety I could see spending money on would be Darren Shaper.

If they could get Sharper, Id be all for it. But he is going to want some big money Im afraid.

htismaqe
03-10-2005, 06:16 PM
i prefer honesty ...

if you get too morose somebody will slap ya around a bit

You rang? :D

htismaqe
03-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I dont think we will get Ed Hartwell either.

Bell is CP's answer to the LB corps. DV has said in an interview that Barber is still in the plans for this season. That makes out linebackers Barber, Bell, Fujita.

Right now, the bleeding has to be stopped in the secondary. Dropping a 10 m SB on Hartwell, and who knows how much salary would not help that situation at all.

The Chiefs need to net a good CB, and then see what they can do with whatever money is left after that. CBs arent cheap.

Safety is an issue, but I think that position can be filled from within. Battle, Bartee, Pile, Harts, all these guys should compete for the job along with Woods.

That would leave the remaining money to be used on another position of need.

Personally, the only Safety I could see spending money on would be Darren Shaper.

If they could get Sharper, Id be all for it. But he is going to want some big money Im afraid.

If the Chiefs have written off Hartwell, why haven't the Chiefs retracted their offer?

The answer is - they HAVEN'T.

nychief
03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
If the Chiefs have written off Hartwell, why haven't the Chiefs retracted their offer?

where does everyone get this information? I am just curious...

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 07:27 PM

Whatever.

The Chiefs have limited cap. They needed to address 3 spots. LB, CB, S. This from the mouth of Head Coach Dick Vermiel.

Kendrell Bell is the Linebacker aquisition. Corners arent cheap. Dropping that kind of cash on Ed Hartwell, when the general consensus is that neither guy is suited to play outside, would be counter productive, and an asinine move. Signing Hartwell for that much money pretty much guarantees a mediocre signing in the secondary, if there is one at all.

If you choose to hold out hope that Ed Hartwell will be a chief also, even though Shawn Barber is in the plans and on the roster accounting for 4 million plus, hey go for it. Barber is currently injured however, and his deal cannot be restructured or terminated until he is healthy.

It looks to me like they are done with Hartwell, especially with the money he is demanding. But whatever. People gotta dream, so you can go ahead and dream.

For now.

BIG_DADDY
03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Cardinals? What kind of name is that for a team?

DDay
03-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Stinger is correct.

beer bacon
03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Whatever.

The Chiefs have limited cap. They needed to address 3 spots. LB, CB, S. This from the mouth of Head Coach Dick Vermiel.

Kendrell Bell is the Linebacker aquisition. Corners arent cheap. Dropping that kind of cash on Ed Hartwell, when the general consensus is that neither guy is suited to play outside, would be counter productive, and an asinine move. Signing Hartwell for that much money pretty much guarantees a mediocre signing in the secondary, if there is one at all.

If you choose to hold out hope that Ed Hartwell will be a chief also, even though Shawn Barber is in the plans and on the roster accounting for 4 million plus, hey go for it. Barber is currently injured however, and his deal cannot be restructured or terminated until he is healthy.

It looks to me like they are done with Hartwell, especially with the money he is demanding. But whatever. People gotta dream, so you can go ahead and dream.

For now.

Maybe Carl has decided that the FA CB talent pool is being drained and he needs to look at an alternate plan. Another impact LB and settling for a solid, but not spectacular CB.

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Maybe Carl has decided that the FA CB talent pool is being drained and he needs to look at an alternate plan. Another impact LB and settling for a solid, but not spectacular CB.

Heh.

Carl Peterson with a coherent offseason plan?

Youre kidding right.....?

beer bacon
03-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Heh.

Stop crushing my dreams :deevee:

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Stop crushing my dreams :deevee:

Carl has been crushing everyone's dreams for 16 years now. It aint just me.

Ill be glad when he is out of KC, and Lamar Hunt is no longer in charge of the team.

KCWolfman
03-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Heh.

You realize your last post was a scenario involving Peterson with a coherent offseason plan toward the CB and LB position?

Wallcrawler
03-10-2005, 11:55 PM
You realize your last post was a scenario involving Peterson with a coherent offseason plan toward the CB and LB position?

Mm.

And has he executed it?

So far what Ive seen is signing the LB that everyone else was worried to sign due to durability, and now the local television stations are reporting Sammy Knight has been signed.

FS is the spot that needs help, replacing Jerome Woods, Knight is a Strong Safety.

Carl let Samari Rolle leave and sign with the Ravens, let Hartwell leave to go to other teams...

So Im not seeing a lot of coherent thought going on in the mind of CP so far.

Are you? Because maybe im missing something here.