PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Herndon

tk13
03-10-2005, 06:23 PM
It seems like there is a lot of sentiment against signing Kelly Herndon. What does everybody think about him? I don't understand why everybody's so sour on him... I don't think he's Ty Law or anything but I thought he was a pretty solid corner. He had a lot of pressure on him being the starter opposite Champ Bailey, and he stepped up and did a decent job. His size isn't great but he seems to play fairly tough for his size, and he played in a man press coverage scheme like Gunther wants to play. He had to deal with getting balls thrown his way all the time because people avoid Champ, and he handled it pretty well. According to Yahoo he led the entire NFL in passes defensed last year. I think it'd be a pretty good value pickup. How does everyone feel about the guy? Does anybody else like him?

LiL stumppy
03-10-2005, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't mind it if we ended up signing Ty Law

CHIEF4EVER
03-10-2005, 06:26 PM
At this point, Joe S*** the Ragman would be an improvement over Crispy, Toasty and McNugget. So, if no other better corner is available, yes....sign him.

Count Zarth
03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I think he's a great choice to replace Warfield during his 4-game suspension. Then stick him at nickel the rest of the year.

I don't think we have the chedda to get a CB, FS AND Herndon, though. Not to mention Hartwell.

MichaelH
03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
At this point, Joe S*** the Ragman would be an improvement over Crispy, Toasty and McNugget. So, if no other better corner is available, yes....sign him.

But we said that when McNugget became available.

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
The guy lost his job to roc Alexander, what else do you need to know?

LiL stumppy
03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I would sign him and Ty Law or who ever and draft a S in the first round and I think we will be set.

CHIEF4EVER
03-10-2005, 06:31 PM

True. In his defense, McNugget IS better than Billy "Toasty" Burntee. Pretty sad, huh?

tk13
03-10-2005, 06:32 PM
But McCleon had been moved to free safety with the Rams cause he couldn't cut it at corner for them. With us GRob just stuck him at CB and moved him 10 yards off the ball so he was playing with everything in front of him half the time anyway. Herndon is coming off a season as a starting CB for one of the best pass defense teams in the league.

eazyb81
03-10-2005, 06:32 PM
If we sign Hartwell, then yes.

If we don't get Hartwell, then we need Surtain or Law.

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:34 PM
But McCleon had been moved to free safety with the Rams cause he couldn't cut it at corner for them. With us GRob just stuck him at CB and moved him 10 yards off the ball so he was playing like a safety half the time anyway. Herndon is coming off a season as a starting CB for one of the best pass defense teams in the league.

Where in the hell do you get your info?

Herndon only started once walls went down with an injury, later in the season Herndon lost his job to Roc Alexander.

Count Zarth
03-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Herndon only started once walls went down with an injury, later in the season Herndon lost his job to Roc Alexander.

Uh, that's because Herndon got HURT.

Herndon played VERY WELL opposite Champ Bailey last year. And he started the whole year before without Bailey and had a fine year.

milkman
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Herndon.

I will say this though.
If we don't sign Hartwell, then we need to sign a 1st tier corner, because our front 7 will not be strong enough to take the pressure off the secondary.

Or we could sign Anthony Simmons, who would be a reasonable 2nd choice for another LB.

In any of these scenarios though, I have come around to the idea that we still need to draft one of the premier corners.

The Bad Guy and Laz have finally convinced me.

tk13
03-10-2005, 06:39 PM

I think the real question is where you got your info. When did this happen? Can some Bronco fan straighten this out? I believe you are wrong. Roc Alexander got lit up in that playoff game against the Colts because they chose to put Herndon over Stokely in the slot... that's what you remember. Herndon held Stokley to 2 catches for 33 yards and picked off Peyton Manning for the Broncos' only interception of the game. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... the only reason Roc Alexander even played was because all their other corners were injured and they had to pick their poison and chose to put Alexander on Reggie Wayne instead of letting Stokley rip them up down the middle.

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:40 PM

Herndon played VERY WELL opposite Champ Bailey last year. And he started the whole year before without Bailey and had a fine year.

That's funny. I happen to live in Denver, and NO ONE here thinks of him as highly as you people do.

Herndon played the nickle in the Indy playoff game, while Alexander was getting burned by Wayne the entire first half. If herndon was that good, and was truly the #2 corner, why didn't the put him outside against Wayne? http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

Count Zarth
03-10-2005, 06:41 PM
That's funny. I happen to live in Denver, and NO ONE here thinks of him as highly as you people do.

Herndon played the nickle in the Indy playoff game, while Alexander was getting burned by Wayne the entire first half. If herndon was that good, and was truly the #2 corner, why didn't the put him outside against Wayne? http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

Because they wanted Herndon on the slot receiver. They felt it was a better matchup.

You are way off base here. Herndon did not lose his job to Roc Alexander, who SUCKS.

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
When did this happen? Can some Bronco fan straighten this out? I believe you are wrong. Roc Alexander got lit up in that playoff game against the Colts because they chose to put Herndon over Stokely in the slot... that's what you remember. Herndon held Stokely to 2 catches for 33 yards and picked off Peyton Manning for the Broncos' only interception of the game. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... the only reason Roc Alexander even played was because all those other corners were injured and they had to pick their poison and chose to put Alexander on Reggie Wayne instead of letting Stokely rip them up down the middle.

Herndon has sucked his entire career in denver. They brought in Bailey to replace him. They resigned an injured Walls and let a healthy Herndon go.

You people are nuts if you want Herndon, he's no better than what we have now.

tk13
03-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Because they had no recourse. What difference would it have made? If they flip-flopped, Manning would've noticed it immediately and just started playing catch with Stokley instead of Wayne....

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:44 PM

Herndon got hurt? That's funny, he started 16 games last year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=6197

Count Zarth
03-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Herndon has sucked his entire career in denver. They brought in Bailey to replace him. They resigned an injured Walls and let a healthy Herndon go.

Dude you are so clueless!

The Broncos had a top five pass defense WITHOUT Champ Bailey, with Herndon starting the whole year.

Herndon started most of last year opposite Champ and the Donks pass D was fantastic.

Count Zarth
03-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Herndon got hurt? That's funny, he started 16 games last year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=6197

Yeah, my bad. Someone got hurt for Roc Alexander to see the field, though.

He certainly didn't play better than Herndon at any point last year.

tk13
03-10-2005, 06:47 PM

He led the ENTIRE NFL in passes defensed last year. I didn't say he was the best corner in the league, but he had 23 passes defensed last year, he makes some plays. McCleon, Bartee, and Battle combined had 18 last year. Bartee by himself has 23 passes defensed in his entire career. I don't think it's even close.

shaneo69
03-10-2005, 06:50 PM
If you're going after a 2nd tier CB, go get Dyson. He's younger.

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:51 PM
He led the ENTIRE NFL in passes defensed last year. I didn't say he was the best corner in the league, but he had 23 passes defensed last year, he makes some plays. McCleon, Bartee, and Battle combined had 18 last year. Bartee by himself has 23 passes defensed in his entire career. I don't think it's even close.

Sorry guys. Pop in some tapes, and watch him play. He gets a lot of help from his speedy LB's.

Trust me guys, you don't want Herndon. You can read into the stats however you want but, Herndon is still a journeyman, and Denver traded away their best offensive player to get his replacement.

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:51 PM
If you're going after a 2nd tier CB, go get Dyson. He's younger.

I totally agree. He's also a better player.

Logical
03-10-2005, 06:53 PM
No more 2nd and 3rd tier players we need preferably Surtain if not him then Law. Period end of statement.

Oregon chief
03-10-2005, 06:53 PM
cbs sportsline has herndon as the ninth overall best cornerback. whatever thats worth

ceebz
03-10-2005, 06:54 PM
No more 2nd and 3rd tier players we need preferably Surtain if not him then Law. Period end of statement.

Thank you. You'd think we'd had enough of getting other team's rejects.

Oregon chief
03-10-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playerrankings/regularseason/DB

Alec R
03-10-2005, 06:55 PM
The guy lost his job to roc Alexander, what else do you need to know?
No, he was injured.

edit: It was the playoff game and it wasnt Herndon that was injured, Herndon played, but Walls and Middlebrooks were both on IR and Roc was the last guy other than TheSewer we had. Thats how Roc saw the field. Herndon didnt lose the job to him.

Herndon was put on Stokely because Denver thought Stokely the bigger threat in the offense than Wayne was at the time. Clearly though Wayne benefitted from the mismatch on Roc Alexander and Stokely had a moderate day.

Had Roc covered Stokely, the opposite would have been true. That is, Stokely would have had a field day Wayne only a moderate day.

Regardless, no one played well that game, hence the blowout.

CHIEF4EVER
03-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Not to mention ZERO, count em ...ZE-RO interceptions in 5 years in the league as a CB. That is the definition of pathetic.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187487

beer bacon
03-10-2005, 06:58 PM
This poll needs more options. I would be fine with Herndon if we signed Hartwell and a safety. If we don't get Hartwell I want Law or Surtain.

Oregon chief
03-10-2005, 06:58 PM
he had two pics last year didnt he?

Oregon chief
03-10-2005, 06:59 PM
nevermind im still thinking herndon

Deberg_1990
03-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Agreed, it jsut goes to show you how starved we are for anything resembling a real CB here in KC that we are showing interest in a 2nd teir talent. Its like dangling a cracker in front of a starving man in the desert.

tk13
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Agreed, it jsut goes to show you how starved we are for anything resembling a real CB here in KC that we are showing interest in a 2nd teir talent. Its like dangling a cracker in front of a starving man in the desert.
Or it shows that "fantasy football" mentality people have for big names, when there are other quality players out there that never get noticed...

Freekofnature
03-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Whoever Ceebez is, he's pretty much clueless.

JOhny Lynch and Kenoy Kennedy is great coverage help? And second our LBs dont give CBs coverage help

Give me a break. Herndon is the best value cornerback out there.

People get productivity and upside confused. I have seen CBs with enamoring gifts get burned like shit.

Herndon wont fanscinate but you wont hear from him in games which is a great thing.

Not once, he took a beating worse than champ.

And you guys still complain about him?

Give me a break. GIVE US BACK HERNDON!!!

Deberg_1990
03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Or it shows that "fantasy football" mentality people have for big names, when there are other quality players out there that never get noticed...

Agreed with you there.....but im not sure about Herndon though...i may have to do some snooping over at the mane to find out what Bronc fan thinks about him?

tk13
03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
This poll needs more options. I would be fine with Herndon if we signed Hartwell and a safety. If we don't get Hartwell I want Law or Surtain.
Fair point. I didn't want to put a million options on the poll... :)

That said, my ideal scenario, and we all know the world is such an ideal place, is that our doctors would clear Law, we'd sign him, sign Herndon, have 3 good man CB's, then we'd do whatever it takes to move up and take Derrick Johnson at OLB in round 1.

My other ideal scenario would have us signing Hartwell, signing Herndon, signing a safety, then go with Carlos Rogers at CB in round 1 and then a DE/OLB in round 2. Unless by some miracle D. Johnson falls to us, then draft him and take a CB in round 2.

beer bacon
03-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Fair point. I didn't want to put a million options on the poll... :)

That said, my ideal scenario, and we all know the world is such an ideal place, is that our doctors would clear Law, we'd sign him, sign Herndon, have 3 good man CB's, then we'd do whatever it takes to move up and take Derrick Johnson at OLB in round 1.

My other ideal scenario would have us signing Hartwell, signing Herndon, signing a safety, then go with Carlos Rogers at CB in round 1 and then a DE/OLB in round 2.

Both of those are great scenarios :thumb:

the Talking Can
03-10-2005, 07:17 PM
If CP's "aggressive" FA plan to shore up our secondary and improve our defense is to sign Herndon then he needs to be killed, pronto.

keg in kc
03-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Herdon sucks.

Expect a press conference tomorrow.

Hercules Rockefell
03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Not once, he took a beating worse than champ.

Herdon lucked out on more then a few occasions that the ball was overthrown when he was badly beat deep.

Decent #2, great #3 in the slot.

Freekofnature
03-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Herdon lucked out on more then a few occasions that the ball was overthrown when he was badly beat deep.

Decent #2, great #3 in the slot.
Like champ hasn't?

So Herndon gets lucked out and Champ doesnt.

Champ had his share of luck too.

Not saying Herndon is better than CHamp but Herndon has had a great season.