PDA

View Full Version : Texans LB's want to be released if not traded...

carlos3652
03-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3077869

March 10, 2005, 1:17AM

Tandem to Texans: Please release us

LBs Sharper, Foreman want to seek other teams before market dries up

By CARLTON THOMPSON
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
RESOURCES

Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have had a week to gauge the market and get their thoughts together after the Texans gave both linebackers permission to seek a trade.

Not surprisingly, both players have reached the same conclusion. If deals can't be worked out in the next couple of days, Sharper and Foreman want to be released, which would make them unrestricted free agents and theoretically give them a better opportunity to catch on elsewhere while teams still have space under the salary cap.

Sharper, speaking publicly for the first time since being given permission to seek a trade, seemed resigned to leaving Houston after leading the team in tackles two of the last three years. Both he and Foreman expressed appreciation for their teammates and fans and regret they weren't able to lead the Texans into the playoffs.

"I've had some time to take it all in, and I'm ready to move on," Sharper said. "We're trying to work out a trade, but it's not looking like that's going to happen. I respect the fact they gave me an opportunity to seek a trade, but if it can't happen in the next couple of days, I need to be released."

Sharper said he met with Texans general manager Charley Casserly on Monday and was told it's possible the Texans could hold on to him until they see how the roster looks after the draft.

"I don't think that would be fair," Sharper said. "That's where we have a difference of opinion."

Casserly declined comment.

Last week's signing of free-agent inside linebacker Morlon Greenwood was the catalyst for the current status of Sharper and Foreman. Next month's draft is deep at the inside and outside linebacker positions, and the Texans might believe they can get younger and more cap-friendly talent.

Sharper and Foreman would account for $8.34 million toward the Texans' salary cap in 2005, $6.13 million of which is attributed to Sharper, who said restructuring his contract was an option as recently as Monday. In the aftermath of Greenwood's signing, that no longer appears to be the case.

"I don't know," Sharper said when asked what changed. "I'm not in the front office or in their meetings. At one point, they wanted to work on an extension. Next thing, they said: 'You can seek a trade.' It came out of nowhere."

Although both players might get shut out in the trade market, it will be more difficult for Foreman, who is recovering from an ankle injury that caused him to miss the final five games of last season. Because he believes he'll eventually be released, Foreman would prefer the Texans do it sooner rather than later.

"In my case, with me rehabbing, saying I can seek a trade that's saying to other teams that they're going to release me anyway," Foreman said. "The best thing for me is to just get released. If I can't get traded in the next two or three days, I need to look for something better. I'm not at a point in my career where I'm a backup.

"I guess I'm not in their plans. You'd like to be here to see this team turn the corner, but obviously that's changed."

The Texans signed four players Wednesday, including unrestricted free-agent cornerback Lewis Sanders, a fourth-round pick of the Browns in 2000. Sanders has started nine career games, including the last five of the 2004 season. He likely will compete for the dime back job, which could close the door on free agent Kenny Wright's three-year stint in Houston.

The Texans also re-signed free agents Jason Simmons, Corey Sears and Jarrod Baxter and are believed to be interested in linebacker Quinton Caver, a second-round pick of the Eagles in 2001. Caver, who has four career starts, has spent the past three seasons in Kansas City.

Receiver Corey Bradford, who visited Detroit on Tuesday and Wednesday, is scheduled to meet with the Giants this weekend. Safety Marlon McCree, who is looking for a starting position and likely will sign elsewhere, is being wooed by Carolina.

Also, long snapper Bryan Pittman, who was charged with driving while intoxicated last season, was found not guilty Wednesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Texans are interested in picking up Caver.... I think if Hatwell does move on, and Fujita leaves, this might be a less expensive option at LB, I dont think they will be asking Hartwell #'s and I think it would be a crazy upgrade....

I am really worried about Fujita leaving, becasue I definitely do not want to see Kawika on the field, personally.

Your thoughts please....

ChiefGator
03-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Sharper is a ILB, so we would have to think he could transition to the outside I would think. Unless we put Bell outside, which is also apparently an option.

As a side note, sucks to be the Texans, man. What the hell is wrong with them that two starting linebackers want out.

StcChief
03-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Sharper would be a good addition to Chiefs