PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: By signing Sammy Knight, Peterson avoids a roasting...

DaWolf
03-11-2005, 01:09 AM
By signing Sammy Knight, Peterson avoids a roasting

JOE POSNANSKI

OK, you have to give it up to Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson. This was supposed to be the night he got beat up. This was a Carl Peterson roast, and sure it was for charity — for the Third and Long Foundation and Rockhurst High School.

But the crowd smelled blood.

“I don't want to see you throwing softballs out there,” more than one person said to me before I led off the roast Thursday night. “You have to rip him good.”

Yes, this was going to be the night to get Carl Peterson. Only, in the end it wasn't. Because after all the rips, after all the shots, after we mocked Peterson for being so slow in free-agency, after George Brett launched some jokes taken straight out of the Catskills, after Marcus Allen unloaded some Rated R material at him, after Neil Smith demanded that Peterson hire him to rejoin the Chiefs, Peterson got behind the microphone and landed the biggest punch of all.

“I would like to announce,” he said, “that we have signed safety Sammy Knight.”

And, just like that, there were cheers galore.

Say what you want about Carl Peterson, but you have to give it up to the man. He's one cool customer.

Yes this is the news: On Thursday, the Chiefs signed Sammy Knight, a Pro Bowl safety in 2001 for the New Orleans Saints and a starter for a very good Miami Dolphins defense the last two seasons. Terms were not disclosed. It is a big signing for the Chiefs. He's just 29, a veteran presence, and he has shown a knack his whole career of making things happen. He has 35 interceptions and nine forced fumbles.

“Here's what I think I bring to this defense,” Knight said. “Big plays. That's what I think great defense is. You make a play. You intercept a pass. You knock a ball free. I think I bring that ability and a passion for this game.”

That sounds awfully good. The Chiefs came into this offseason needing defensive help anywhere (“The only thing funny about me,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil told the crowd, “is my defense).

But Peterson all along has believed the need comes down to three big things:

1. An athletic linebacker who can roam the field.

2. A cornerback who can shut down a receiver.

3. A safety who makes big plays.

The Chiefs believe they filled the first need when they signed former Pittsburgh linebacker Kendrell Bell. They thought they had the second filled, but former Titans cornerback Samari Rolle slipped through their fingers. Peterson says they're still looking.

But now, they believe they have that third role filled.

“I can tell you Sammy has played at a great level for a few years now,” Peterson said. “It's a good fit. I have to tell you, we had him tabbed as one of the best safeties in the league.”

Yes, you have to give it up to Peterson. He was visibly nervous before the roast Tuesday night. It's not secret that Peterson is not the most thick-skinned man in the world; criticism gets to him. Now here it was, an entire night of nothing but criticism. He kept telling himself and friends that it was for charity, but it was clear to see that he was pretty uneasy about the whole thing.

Sure enough, all night, he heard about his ego, his temper, his clothes and, of course, most of all, about how he has never taken the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. As Marcus Allen said before his speech went blue: “Carl Peterson came into this game with low expectations. And he has lived up to them.”

But after the Knight signing was announced, the entire mood of the place changed. It isn't that Sammy Knight is some sort of savior. But he does seem like another pretty good piece to getting this Chiefs defense turned around.

“I think defense is about big plays and bringing a bit of a nasty attitude,” Peterson said. “I think with Kendrell Bell and now Sammy Knight, we've brought two guys in who can make those plays and also help us regain the defensive attitude that, quite frankly, we lost the last few years.”

Peterson said those words after the roast was over. He looked a lot happier. He had survived the roast. More than survived. People were coming up to him, patting him on the back, congratulating him on the signing, talking Super Bowls. Carl didn't just survive the night. He won it.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11104194.htm

keg in kc
03-11-2005, 01:11 AM
You know it's a slow offseason when Sammy Knight is passed off as big news by JoPo.

I think it's a good sign....but come on. Ain't gonna be dancin' in the streets over this.

Ari Chi3fs
03-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Well, I wonder what our offseason would have looked like so far, if this roast wasnt on the immediate horizon. His ego made him make a couple signings.

without this roast... i doubt we have any signings.

Wallcrawler
03-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Its bad when Sammy Knight is looked upon as something to cheer about.

If we didnt already have 13 safeties on the team already, I might be cheering also.

Douche Baggins
03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Its bad when Sammy Knight is looked upon as something to cheer about.

If we didnt already have 13 safeties on the team already, I might be cheering also.

Who cares how many we have on the roster? Now we have a GOOD one, FINALLY!

|Zach|
03-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Well, I wonder what our offseason would have looked like so far, if this roast wasnt on the immediate horizon. His ego made him make a couple signings.

without this roast... i doubt we have any signings.
That sounds ridiculous.

wutamess
03-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Are you guys crazy... This is a great signing. The guy is a playmaker.

CP getting better at thie free agency thing.

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Are you guys crazy... This is a great signing. The guy is a playmaker.

CP getting better at thie free agency thing.
Ive already jumped on this bandwagon.

Ari Chi3fs
03-11-2005, 01:54 AM
That sounds ridiculous.

so you saying the roast played zero in him signing a couple players? I guarantee it weighed on his mind. No signings going into a roast would have been suicide.

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 01:55 AM
That sounds ridiculous.
Almost ridiculous enough to make sense....

|Zach|
03-11-2005, 01:56 AM
so you saying the roast played zero in him signing a couple players? I guarantee it weighed on his mind. No signings going into a roast would have been suicide.
I am not saying it wasn't any kind of factor but saying we wouldnt have signed anyone if it hadnt been an event is way overboard.

tk13
03-11-2005, 01:58 AM
I'd guess the thought of thousands of season ticket holders (and Gunther) looking to put his head on a stick if he sat around and didn't do anything scared him a lot more.....

KCChiefsMan
03-11-2005, 02:13 AM
I think this is a very nice signing, safety was a position of need, now we have a healthy playmaker. It's not always about going out and getting the big money, high profile guys. Look at the Patriots for example. This is another piece added to the puzzle.

GoTrav
03-11-2005, 05:52 AM
It's not always about going out and getting the big money, high profile guys. Look at the Patriots for example.

This is Carl's new out. He's using the Patriot's model. Thing is, they have some pretty good corners if I remember correctly.

KCTitus
03-11-2005, 06:10 AM
This is Carl's new out. He's using the Patriot's model. Thing is, they have some pretty good corners if I remember correctly.

Earthwind Moreland and Randall Gay are top notch...

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2005, 06:10 AM
So how do Carl's nuts taste, JoPo?

Cochise
03-11-2005, 06:11 AM

Other than Asante Samuel who is pretty good, I think you're sadly mistaken.

the Talking Can
03-11-2005, 06:14 AM
The Patriot's model involves smart GM's and personel people...if CP were following the "Patriot's Model" he'd have to fire himself.

Our CBs suck arse...refering to some mythical model won't change that.

Chan93lx50
03-11-2005, 06:23 AM
We had sixteen games last year and the year before that, and our 22 odd safties didnt make an impact!

Bring on the Knight!

Kris Kringle
03-11-2005, 06:43 AM
If the roast caused Carl to sign 2 good players in free agencty, maybe next year they should have a Carl Peterson roast on March 3rd?

KCTitus
03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
If the roast caused Carl to sign 2 good players in free agencty, maybe next year they should have a Carl Peterson roast on March 3rd?

If they are two good players why does it matter when they are signed?

Chief Henry
03-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey, I'm just glad we got two nice upgrades in our defense. Lord Knows we need them and Carl even admits to that, albeit he didn't do anything about it when he needed too. I hope were not TOO LATE
with these signings.

Lets see what happens with those two big gorillas we drafted for our defensive line. Its time for Sims to BUCK UP this season and PROVE himself.

ptlyon
03-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Ok, I've been pretty silent about this whole FA thing. I am gun shy and sick of getting burned. Who knows if Bell and Knight will become another Barber and Holliday?

But, I am happy we are doing something. Maybe not what everyone wanted, but at least it's something.

Now I have a hope they will go the full gammet and get a CB. And for that I am hoping Carl will do whatever it takes to get one in the draft. I know that it probably is a stretch that a rook will produce their first year, but at least it will be attempting something.

GoTrav
03-11-2005, 07:24 AM

despite injuries this year, Poole and Law are both pretty good.......

But the Pat's had Harrison at safety. So, is having Sammy Knight going to make Bartee and Warfield that much better?

MOhillbilly
03-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Say what you want about Carl Peterson,

OK, hey carl if you had sighned atleast one FA last year KC would be even better this next season.

Ghostof
03-11-2005, 08:00 AM
I tell ya whats going to happen...

Either this year or next year we will have a top ten defense..mark my words.....but our offense will fall to the shitter.

shaneo69
03-11-2005, 08:11 AM

Earthwind got cut. Assante Samuel is the other starter. And yeah, they are pretty good regardless of where or whether they got drafted. You don't hold Manning to 3 points and win a Super Bowl with shitty CB's.

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Earthwind got cut. Assante Samuel is the other starter. And yeah, they are pretty good regardless of where or whether they got drafted. You don't hold Manning to 3 points and win a Super Bowl with shitty CB's.
You do if the colts drop 15 balls and your playing the choke-happy eagles excepting: You are KC playing IND @ KC or you are the choke-happy Cheifs.

CosmicPal
03-11-2005, 08:14 AM
“I think defense is about big plays and bringing a bit of a nasty attitude,” Peterson said. “I think with Kendrell Bell and now Sammy Knight, we've brought two guys in who can make those plays and also help us regain the defensive attitude that, quite frankly, we lost the last few years.”

Peterson said those words after the roast was over.

Yep...I like these signings thus far. Bell will certainly upgrade our linebackers- Knight is an upgrade, but most importantly- he'll create competition in between Pile, Harts, and Wesley.

Question to the Planet- would you consider trading Woods now that we have Knight? A former Pro-Bowl player himself who is most likely on the decline- a third rounder? fourth rounder?

shaneo69
03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Yep...I like these signings thus far. Bell will certainly upgrade our linebackers- Knight is an upgrade, but most importantly- he'll create competition in between Pile, Harts, and Wesley.

Question to the Planet- would you consider trading Woods now that we have Knight? A former Pro-Bowl player himself who is most likely on the decline- a third rounder? fourth rounder?

I said earlier that I'd call Marty up and offer him Woods for a 4th or 5th rounder. Their current starter at FS is some guy named Jerry Wilson.

The sooner Woods is gone, the better.

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 08:21 AM
The sooner Woods is gone, the better.
No, capwise woods is better gone on the 1st of june, when his cap penalty will levy against next year's cap.

Rausch
03-11-2005, 08:22 AM
No, capwise woods is better gone on the 1st of june, when his cap penalty will levy against next year's cap.

If we trade him his cap hit is Marty's problem...

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 08:23 AM
If we trade him his cap hit is Marty's problem...
Not his signing bonus.

shaneo69
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM

I thought Woods and Wesley both had 2nd tier signing bonuses of $500,000 sometime this spring. The Chiefs may have already paid those. But Surtain, for instance, has his roster bonus due tomorrow I believe. If Woods and/or Wesley's bonuses are coming due, one or both may still be cut. But I don't know for sure the exact details of their contract language.

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I thought Woods and Wesley both had 2nd tier signing bonuses of $500,000 sometime this spring. The Chiefs may have already paid those. But Surtain, for instance, has his roster bonus due tomorrow I believe. If Woods and/or Wesley's bonuses are coming due, one or both may still be cut. But I don't know for sure the exact details of their contract language.
Theres a difference between roster bonus and signing bonus.
Roster bonus comes from still being on the roster at said date.
Signing bonus is money instantly given that is levied against the cap across all of the years of the contract.
So: Woods is already paid his signing bonus, however, if we trade or cut him before June 1, his remaining signing bonus including this upcoming year's portion is levied against THIS year's cap. If we wait, his remaining signing bonus EXCLUDING this years portion will be levied against NEXT years cap.

HC_Chief
03-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Crowd truly was desperate last night if the signing of a SAFETY sent them into cheers. :grr:

Let's see, we have on good LB, one up-and-coming DE(we hope), and zero corners. Hmmm, let's add a safety! It's not like we don't already have twelve on the roster or anything....

F*CKTARDS
:grr:

KCTitus
03-11-2005, 08:34 AM

Earthind must have been released recently since he played for the team through the SB. At this point they're relative unknowns. Do they stand on their own or benefit from the awsome front seven. I guess we'll get some answers come this fall.

dirk digler
03-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Earthind must have been released recently since he played for the team through the SB. At this point they're relative unknowns. Do they stand on their own or benefit from the awsome front seven. I guess we'll get some answers come this fall.

They also traded for Duane Starks which I think is a good move.

shaneo69
03-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Theres a difference between roster bonus and signing bonus.

Yeah, I know the difference. But recent free agent contracts have added what's called "two-tier" signing bonuses, to lessen the amount of cash the owner needs to pay up front. For instance, the Ravens gave Grbac a two-tier signing bonus of about $11 mil. He got $6 mil up front and was due the other $5 mil on 3/2 of the next year. The Ravens decided to cut him instead of paying the 2nd half of the signing bonus. Jake Plummer also got a two-tier signing bonus from the donks last year. Instead of paying the 2nd half of it this year, they restructured his contract recently.

Woods and Wesley both got $5.5 mil, two-tier signing bonuses, with $5 mil being paid out last year when they signed, and the other $500,000 being due this spring. Don't know when it's due though. So if the Chiefs didn't want to pay it, they could cut them and save some money.

Nightfyre
03-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I know the difference. But recent free agent contracts have added what's called "two-tier" signing bonuses, to lessen the amount of cash the owner needs to pay up front. For instance, the Ravens gave Grbac a two-tier signing bonus of about $11 mil. He got $6 mil up front and was due the other $5 mil on 3/2 of the next year. The Ravens decided to cut him instead of paying the 2nd half of the signing bonus. Jake Plummer also got a two-tier signing bonus from the donks last year. Instead of paying the 2nd half of it this year, they restructured his contract recently.

Woods and Wesley both got $5.5 mil, two-tier signing bonuses, with $5 mil being paid out last year when they signed, and the other $500,000 being due this spring. Don't know when it's due though. So if the Chiefs didn't want to pay it, they could cut them and save some money.
:shrug: *Thinks cap implications are more important than actual money*

ck_IN
03-11-2005, 09:09 AM
On the surface it seems a very nice move by CP. I'm still concerned about Bell's health but you build a defense from the inside out. We now have a MLB and a safety that on paper at least are very impressive.

Logical
03-11-2005, 09:24 AM
If we trade him his cap hit is Marty's problem...Nope, only salary. Prorated signing bonus stays with the original signing club. Before June 1st it is 100% of whatever is left, after June 1st it is divided in half over this year and next.

RINGLEADER
03-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Well at least they have their priorities straight...although I still have little faith in the other LBs and one CB means Eric Warfield is lining up on the other side and, God forbid, if one of the CBs is injured we probably are going to see William Bartee again.

:doh!:

Mr. Laz
03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I am not saying it wasn't any kind of factor but saying we wouldnt have signed anyone if it hadnt been an event is way overboard.

i go for that... we would of signed people anyway

but you can be sure that the season ticket payment deadline and the roasting ceremony put some urgency to the issue.

BigChiefFan
03-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Well at least they have their priorities straight...although I still have little faith in the other LBs and one CB means Eric Warfield is lining up on the other side and, God forbid, if one of the CBs is injured we probably are going to see William Bartee again.

:doh!:
We'll draft a corner,too. Bartee might have seen his last days as a professional football player or He'll be the dime back.