PDA

View Full Version : Me: Cornerbacks to go quick in the draft?

ChiefGator
03-11-2005, 06:13 AM
I have looked at alot of mock drafts, many with us picking Rogers in the first. I have seen several drafts where Rogers falls into the mid twenties. I call bullshit.

I have to believe that teams are going to be picking up CB's like crazy in this draft. There just aren't enough of them, and I believe their salary is now the highest of any position. That alone will make GM's look to get "cheap" players in the draft and try to sign them as long as possible. Sims is cheap compared to what we would have to pay a top-tier CB and he was taken very high in the first.

I just have a bad feeling none of the top 3-4 cb's will fall to us.

Anyone else share this fear?

Also, I am starting to lean toward NOT using our 2nd for Surtain due to this. His salary is going to be very large, and we need to stock this team with some good, cheaper players. (Our draft history aside). Even if the top-tier, supposedly 'cant miss' players are gone, we should draft two CB's and see what we get for the future. WR's are cheaper to pick up in free agency than CB's.

crossbow
03-11-2005, 06:48 AM
I have looked at alot of mock drafts, many with us picking Rogers in the first. I have seen several drafts where Rogers falls into the mid twenties. I call bullshit.

I have to believe that teams are going to be picking up CB's like crazy in this draft. There just aren't enough of them, and I believe their salary is now the highest of any position. That alone will make GM's look to get "cheap" players in the draft and try to sign them as long as possible. Sims is cheap compared to what we would have to pay a top-tier CB and he was taken very high in the first.

I just have a bad feeling none of the top 3-4 cb's will fall to us.

Anyone else share this fear?

Well there are like 16 good corners this year so we won't get left totaly out even if we don't get one of the top 3 or 4. Also, sometimes a particular postion that has players worthy of a low first round can last into the second round until one team starts the run on them. Then the other teams start thinking they have to grab that position before all the good ones are gone. The draft is just too unpredictable to worry over. Too many teams doing unexpected things and too many teams like the Chiefs reaching for guys in the 2nd round that should have gone in the 4th. Realy, you bring up an interesting thought but ya never know what is going to happen on draft day.