PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bell and Knight signings make KC a more attractive FA destination?

Ari Chi3fs
03-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Now that it appears that we are gonna have a defense, do you think some of the other higher caliber FA's still out there will be more apt to sign with us for less than Market, due to our powerhouse O, and now seemingly improved D?

We very well could be a SB contender... we could be somebody.

KCTitus
03-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Looking at the whole picture probably not...HC, GM both in last years of their contract with HC already stating this is his last year. Offensive line aging, QB 35, star RB talking retirement last year.

If the FA doesnt believe that he can help make this year THE year, it's probably not more attractive.

tomahawk kid
03-11-2005, 06:57 AM
It's logical to think so.

However, our big position of need is corner and all the top tier guys (save Law) are no longer available.

From that perspective, there's no one left to attract.

ChiefGator
03-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Looking at the whole picture probably not...HC, GM both in last years of their contract with HC already stating this is his last year. Offensive line aging, QB 35, star RB talking retirement last year.

Yeaahh... I'm gonna have to kinda disagree with you on this one.

I haven't heard anyone (read: free agents or their agents) mention this. None. Nor any of the players we signed.

Additionally, DV has hinted (okay, maybe only once or twice) that he might stay on if we look like we are turning the corner and he thinks he can make it all the way. But, he said it would only be for an extra year or two.

As for GM, I think the players and their agents know how the NFL contracts work.

Maybe you are just quoting the usual rigmarole... don't know. But I think that is probably a very low factor in the market.

As for the thread starter... I think this may have something to do with the market. We have heard players say they didn't want to come in as the only signing and be expected to be the savior... at least last year. Hopefully this helps, and I think it will.

BigRedChief
03-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Don't think its relevant. They all know we have a legitamate shot this year at a Super Bowl. If we can get our defense to just play average. Thats all we need. An average defense. Thats not to much to ask, if you ask me.

Rausch
03-11-2005, 07:53 AM

If the FA doesnt believe that he can help make this year THE year, it's probably not more attractive.

DV also waffled on the whole "definitely my last year" statement. He pretty much said he'd be back if we have a really good year and won't be if we let down.

KCTitus
03-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Yeaahh... I'm gonna have to kinda disagree with you on this one.

I haven't heard anyone (read: free agents or their agents) mention this. None. Nor any of the players we signed.

Additionally, DV has hinted (okay, maybe only once or twice) that he might stay on if we look like we are turning the corner and he thinks he can make it all the way. But, he said it would only be for an extra year or two.

As for GM, I think the players and their agents know how the NFL contracts work.

Maybe you are just quoting the usual rigmarole... don't know. But I think that is probably a very low factor in the market.

Maybe you misread my comments. I didnt say that is was a factor, rather I said it didnt make KC 'more' attractive.

Ive not read anything about DV even hinting about him staying longer. Last thing I read was that he was pretty adamant about this being his last year.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-11-2005, 08:00 AM
It can't hurt.

Lzen
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
I think it can only help. With our offense, we only need a few upgrades to make that defense respectable and make this team a serious SB contender. CBs are now the vital need, IMO. At least one high caliber FA and a 1st round CB pickup and this defense would look vastly improved next year. :)

ChiefGator
03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Maybe you misread my comments. I didnt say that is was a factor, rather I said it didnt make KC 'more' attractive.

Ive not read anything about DV even hinting about him staying longer. Last thing I read was that he was pretty adamant about this being his last year.

Ah.. you were just pointing out a non-factor is not a factor.. got it.. j/k...

Not sure how to find it, but he did waffle a bit a couple months ago. I was going to google "Vermiel Waffle" but figured that wouldn't work.

KCTitus
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Not sure how to find it, but he did waffle a bit a couple months ago. I was going to google "Vermiel Waffle" but figured that wouldn't work.

:D tis ok...I'll take your word for it. I hadnt seen the comments or any discussion about such here, so it was news to me.