PDA

View Full Version : NFT:Art saves a life,the story of my wife's late Grandmother

Nzoner
03-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Since The Planet has become like a second family to us the wife and I wanted to let you know that her late Grandmother,artist Grandma Layton will have her work on display at Penn Valley Community College thru April 1st.

Whether you're "into" art or not her story is quite amazing.Here's a link as well as the info for the showings.

She explained her process when she talked about one of her drawings that dealt with the death of her son, saying, "If we have an emotion, if we can just face it head on, look right at it and do something and talk about it, our problems seem to get better. I was feeling grief. So I decided to draw a picture of the grief. I picked out what to me was the hardest subject I could find. And I drew it, I got a little used to the idea, and by the time I did some more, I got more used to the idea, and the first thing I knew, it was something I could live with. It never goes clear away, but then it isn't something you sit around and mourn, because you're used to it." (http://www.kporterfield.com/healing/layton.html)

ELIZABETH LAYTON'S WORKS AT PVCC MARCH 4 - APRIL 1

Elizabeth Layton was struggling with bi-polar illness and profound depression when she began contour drawing in 1977 at age 68. Art became more then therapy for this Wellsville, Kansas, native - it saved her life.

Her drawings and writings have enriched the lives of countless others and have been exhibited at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Modern Art, and in more than 200 art museums and centers throughout the U.S.

Layton's work will be on display at the Carter Art Center Gallery at Penn Valley Community College Friday, March 4, through Friday, April 1. Both those Fridays, the gallery will remain open until 9 p.m. Regular hours are noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, and noon to 3 p.m. Saturdays.

Penn Valley, located at 3201 SW Trafficway in Kansas City, is one of the Metropolitan Community Colleges.

Brock
03-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow. Just, wow. :thumb:

Phobia
03-12-2005, 08:52 PM
The wife and I went to this exhibit today. Incredibly interesting stuff. Thanks for the invite, Joe. We really enjoyed the drawings.

KCWolfman
03-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Joe - I never would have experience Grandma Layton's drawings if it weren't for you.

Thanks for the invite. I will be going back with my wife next weekend.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 09:46 PM
That's sweet! :thumb:

I used to work in a couple of art galleries while I was in college. I'd like to see more of her work...get her work introduced to some of the local art fairs, and if she can make the Plaza Art Festival- then she'll be raking in some good money.

After that, she'll need to come to the Cherry Creek Art Festival and if her work does well [here] as well, then she can consider the festivals on both coasts, and then her own private showing at some of the premiere galleries...Life is short, art is long, and opportunities are always fleeting...

Phobia
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM

I used to work in a couple of art galleries while I was in college. I'd like to see more of her work...get her work introduced to some of the local art fairs, and if she can make the Plaza Art Festival- then she'll be raking in some good money.

After that, she'll need to come to the Cherry Creek Art Festival and if her work does well [here] as well, then she can consider the festivals on both coasts, and then her own private showing at some of the premiere galleries...Life is short, art is long, and opportunities are always fleeting...

She was born in 1909 and lived 83 years. I don't think you want her there.

Nzoner
03-12-2005, 09:49 PM
The wife and I went to this exhibit today. Incredibly interesting stuff. Thanks for the invite, Joe. We really enjoyed the drawings.

Joe - I never would have experience Grandma Layton's drawings if it weren't for you.

Thanks for the invite. I will be going back with my wife next weekend.

Thanks for showing up,it meant alot to Kathy and I and we're so glad you enjoyed her work.

I tried to find some of her work to put here but it won't let me copy however, here's a link to 8 of her drawings a few of which were on display today. (http://www.atchison-art.org/cgi-bin/imageFolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Elizabeth_Layton)

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 09:50 PM
She was born in 1909 and lived 83 years. I don't think you want her there.

:banghead:

I meant one of her family members to present her work around....

Nzoner
03-12-2005, 09:57 PM

Not to brag on Grandma Layton(she would've never wanted that) but her drawings have already been on display in The Smithsonian as well as numerous galleries nationwide and most recently a show in Paris France.

She didn't start until she was 68 and was healed of her depression through it.Her work was never for sale while she was alive either as she always said the minute she sold one the magic would be gone.She only hoped her work would go on to help others.

Phobia
03-12-2005, 10:11 PM
This drawing purports to be entitled "sad", but IIRC it's really called Stroke. It was on display today and was drawn after she had her first stroke. It really helps to have the story behind each of her drawings to really understand the concept behind it.

Hopefully this link will work, I backdoored their little protection software. http://www.atchison-art.org/gallery/Elizabeth_Layton/sad.jpg

KCWolfman
03-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I backdoored their little protection software.

Hmm, using the old "do 'em in the pooper" life lesson with websites as well, eh?

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Not to brag on Grandma Layton(she would've never wanted that) but her drawings have already been on display in The Smithsonian as well as numerous galleries nationwide and most recently a show in Paris France.

She didn't start until she was 68 and was healed of her depression through it.Her work was never for sale while she was alive either as she always said the minute she sold one the magic would be gone.She only hoped her work would go on to help others.

Ahhhh, dude...that's sweet. Spoken like a true artist. I'm now really interested in checking out her portfolio.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Ahhhh, dude...that's sweet. Spoken like a true artist. I'm now really interested in checking out her portfolio.

Nzoner
08-02-2005, 09:28 PM
It really helps to have the story behind each of her drawings to really understand the concept behind it

Thought I'd give this a bump to let you know Grandma Layton's website is now up. (http://www.elizabethlayton.com/)

On the drawings link there's over 80 of her drawings with the explanations behind each.