PDA

View Full Version : Hughes back in fold...

nychief
03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Karen Hughes To Work on The World's View of U.S.

By Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 12, 2005; Page A03

Former White House counselor Karen P. Hughes will take over the Bush administration's troubled public diplomacy effort intended to burnish the U.S. image abroad, particularly in the Muslim world, where anti-Americanism has fueled extremist groups and terrorism, a senior administration official said yesterday.

Hughes, 48, who has been one of President Bush's closest advisers since his tenure as Texas governor, plans to return to Washington soon to rejoin the president's team after a three-year absence and set up shop at the State Department, where she will work with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to reinvigorate the campaign for hearts and minds overseas.

Hughes will take over an operation that has been criticized as lackluster by many analysts and, privately, even by some administration officials, despite its mission of waging a war of ideas against Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda and other Islamic extremist organizations. The last undersecretary for public diplomacy, Margaret Tutwiler, left last summer after less than a year on the job. The post has remained vacant since.

Tutwiler was at the White House yesterday and has been advising Hughes about the job. Hughes, who left her White House job in the summer of 2002 to return to Texas with her family, did not return telephone or e-mail messages.

Through exchange programs, foreign language media and other initiatives, the public diplomacy campaign aims to promote American values of democracy, tolerance and pluralism abroad while combating negative images propagated in many parts of the world. The State Department spent $685 million on public diplomacy in 2004, but critics complain that it has not been increased enough since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and that most of it has not targeted the Muslim world.

penchief
03-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Great. That's just what this country needs. More of the "compassionate conservative," "uniter, not a divider," "clear skies," and "healthy forests" misrepresentations.

I guess the true believers think that Arabs care as much about "truth in advertising" as Americans do.

Taco John
03-13-2005, 02:47 AM
She's as cracker jack as they come. I think she's as whacked out as any of them, and would love to see someone punch her in the face... But when she's involved, she gets the media to sing her tune. There are few people in this country who can frame a story as well as Karen. I've got an immense amount of respect for her ability.

Baby Lee
03-13-2005, 07:42 AM
She's as cracker jack as they come. I think she's as whacked out as any of them, and would love to see someone punch her in the face... But when she's involved, she gets the media to sing her tune. There are few people in this country who can frame a story as well as Karen. I've got an immense amount of respect for her ability.
"She is eloqeunt and well reasoned, so I want to punch her in the face."
Why don't you just fling your poop at her instead? Save the punches for when she doesn't bring enough birthday cake.