PDA

View Full Version : Does it all come down to coaching?

karob
12-11-2000, 08:31 AM
With "parity" and salary caps, are the teams in the NFL the same talent-wise. With the difference between an 11-5 playoff team and an 8-8 team being the coaching staff and injuries?

What do ya think?

Bwana
12-11-2000, 08:43 AM
Marty had worse talent than this team and found ways to win. He was no Offensive Minded Juggernaut, but he knew what it took to win ball games, and his players played like a team. Also, there was no mistaking who was in charge, and from where the players took their cues. Marty had the respect of his players and the players played hard for Marty. I can't honestly say that I've seen Gun's players leaving it all on the field every Sunday. Mental miscues and poor execution seem to rule the day.

In short, coaching makes the difference in this league of parity. While the Chiefs of the 90's never won big playoff games, they always found a way to win big reg. season games. This is something the current regime has yet to do, and in my opinion, will never do.

chiefs2034
12-11-2000, 11:29 AM
Did poor coaching or lack of coaching cause GONZALEZ to drop his TO touchdown passes?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here.
Just pointing out that if Gonzo catches
those two, we win big.

What came first, CHICKEN or the Egg?

Moon§hiner
12-11-2000, 11:33 AM
There is maybe 2-3 players difference between the worst team and the best team. Beyond that, it's all coaching and chemistry.

AustinChief
12-11-2000, 11:34 AM
Actually Henry, I see a great amount of individual talent on the field and minimal construction to make the talent work at 100% of the time and in tandem with other players.

I blame coaching.

Fat Homer
12-11-2000, 11:37 AM
Players make mistakes, drop balls, commit penalties, etc....

Coaches are there to ensure that these players are as prepared as possible so that these mistakes don't occur with any frequency...

You can never completely eliminate mistakes...but if you do your job as a coach you can keep them from happening as often...

A talented team should be good, a non-talented team is only as good as their coach and limitaitons allow...

The Chiefs should have been a good team...they have talent at almost every position...the blame lies with the coaches for not being able to utilize it properly....